• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV for PC officially confirmed

Tookay

MGSV doesn't seem like a system seller to me IMO. Of all the games I have played on PS4, Ground Zeroes was the most overhyped and lamest :/

I only beat the main mission and forgot about it. The best thing about it was the final cut scene
I've replayed the main mission more times then I can count.

Different strokes.

KainXVIII

MGSV, Destiny (confirmed for a March release on PC) and GTAV? I'm so happy I don't have to drop hundreds of dollars for a PS4 to play these games now when I have a rig more than capable to play these games.

gMO2jWa.gif

Lol'd, source of this gif?

Grief.exe

MGSV, Destiny (confirmed for a March release on PC) and GTAV? I'm so happy I don't have to drop hundreds of dollars for a PS4 to play these games now when I have a rig more than capable to play these games.

gMO2jWa.gif

Destiny?

You aren't referring to that bullshit rumor from the SteamDB are you?

TopGun

Banned
I've replayed the main mission more times then I can count.

Different strokes.

BROTHERRRRRR

I don't know if I've even done the same route twice on the same mission, I've always approached it differently. When it comes to speedrunning, sure do the same strategy over an over, but for regular play, I've always done different things.

Kezen

Banned

Destiny has not been confirmed. Activision and Bungie are "considering" it, that's all.
Needless to say we shouldn't be looking forward to an announcement any time soon.

It's been a day and I'm still reeling from the hype but I'm a little torn at the moment. How should I go about controlling this game? I want analog movement especially for a stealth game but I also want mouse control for easy headshots. I'm tempted right now to buy one of these just to get the best of both worlds. Is there even a good way to make the navigation controller work on PC? Hell while we're at it has there been any word on if the iDroid companion app will work on steam?

edit:Here's a pic because really, when was the last time you've seen one of these?

-Deimos

It's been a day and I'm still reeling from the hype but I'm a little torn at the moment. How should I go about controlling this game? I want analog movement especially for a stealth game but I also want mouse control for easy headshots. I'm tempted right now to buy one of these just to get the best of both worlds. Is there even a good way to make the navigation controller work on PC? Hell while we're at it has there been any word on if the iDroid companion app will work on steam?

edit:Here's a pic because really, when was the last time you've seen one of these?

This is what I've been using for the few games that can support both controller + mouse at the same time. It worked pretty great with Watch Dogs but not so well with ACIV. The problem is that most games won't support both at the same time, so it's either/or.

I'm using Better DS3.

This is what I've been using for the few games that can support both controller + mouse at the same time. It worked pretty great with Watch Dogs but not so well with ACIV. The problem is that most games won't support both at the same time, so it's either/or.

I'm using Better DS3.

YES! There's precedent for this, it's not a guarantee but I'm liking that there's a chance. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The problem with that solution, is that when you change the language, you have a large download, every time you make a change.

It is also problematic, because you might want to combine various settings:
i.e.: Japanese Voice Over with Japanese Subtitles, or with English Subtitles, or with German Subtitles, etc.

It's actually not that much of a problem. When you switch languages, the original language data isn't deleted, but rather moved out of the way; you "only" need to download the languages that weren't downloaded initially. Even if you view that as particularly problematic, I think you'll agree that users opting to selectively download language data is preferable to everybody being forced to download everything as the latter undoubtedly has a far wider impact. As for mixing audio and subtitles of different languages, there's a quick trick to that, if the game itself doesn't offer the option to select a subtitle language: use the Steam client's language setting.

How did Revengence handle the situation?

Revengeance only has English audio, but it may have included subtitles for other languages as an in-game setting. I'm not sure as I haven't played it.

People say this but very few games actually seem to get good modding communities when they hype up the idea of mods.

It depends on how easy the game is to mod. Games like Fallout and Skyrim have the largest modding communities because good ol' Bethesda support it. GTA IV has a relatively large modding community because the devs allow it.

Grief.exe

It depends on how easy the game is to mod. Games like Fallout and Skyrim have the largest modding communities because good ol' Bethesda support it. GTA IV has a relatively large modding community because the devs allow it.

Actually, didn't Rockstar implement a patch that blocked out mods? You had to crack the exe to a lower version for the longest time just to get mods to work.

I believe many extensions get around that block at this point.

Valnen

I find that some games even with official support don't really have extensive modding communities. Like the Torchlight series.

I'm really happy about this. I've been craving a good stealth game lately. Last good one was dishonored. Sniper elite 3 and watch dogs weren't too bad also.

Like the other poster said the problem is most games won't support xinput + mouse simultaneously, but switch between them. I think you should give 8-way WASD with modifiers for stick thresholds a try, as that is what I use and I've found it perfectly adequate for stealth games. The mouse control gives you easy directional control and you will usually find that even with analog stick capability most games simply use 2 or 3 different speeds for movement. Here is an example of mine if you want to check it out. I'm guessing MGSV will do the usual thing of full normal movement on WASD by default with ctrl or alt being a modifier to slow speed, this can easily be adapted to a stick by putting ctrl/alt activated when it is >.5 threshold for example.

Denton

I would put forward it is still shitty to this day. My graphics card is not good, not even mid range, but games like Arkham Origins still run better today than GTAIV. That is pretty appalling in my opinion.

That's really strange. I had it run at 60fps on GTX560Ti if I remember correctly. Now with 280X it is complete non-issue.

UrbanRats

Actually, didn't Rockstar implement a patch that blocked out mods? You had to crack the exe to a lower version for the longest time just to get mods to work.

I believe many extensions get around that block at this point.

Yeah, it's probably how determined the community is about modding a game.
It's probably a little bit of both, especially when that community is developing.

Grief.exe

I'm guessing MGSV will do the usual thing of full normal movement on WASD by default with ctrl or alt being a modifier to slow speed, this can easily be adapted to a stick by putting ctrl/alt activated when it is >.5 threshold for example.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory had a M/KB control scheme that was complete genius.
You used the mouse control wheel to set your desired speed. Crank it down to sneak, move it upwards for speed.

Seanspeed

Banned
I find that some games even with official support don't really have extensive modding communities. Like the Torchlight series.
Well there's no accounting for popularity, ya know?

Modding is fairly time-intensive work and there's only so many people out there with the motivation and know how to do it, so its inevitable that some games just don't have the draw or popularity for modders to want to spend time working on them.

So you're definitely right that just because a game is highly moddable doesn't guarantee a strong modding community, but it certainly is a fairly big prerequisite.

Kezen

Banned
That's really strange. I had it run at 60fps on GTX560Ti if I remember correctly. Now with 280X it is complete non-issue.

GTA 4 at max settings is hugely CPU bound. If you have a recent I5 with fast IPC it should run at 60fps with a few dips here and here.
At the time of release it was such a mess, but still better than the terrible console versions.
My game crashed on my 8800GT/Core 2 Duo E8400 PC but it ran better and looked better than the PS3 version I also had.

GTA 5 will also be a demanding game if your standard is 1080p/60fps.

EmpReb

Banned
Speaking for myself I bought my PS4 and Xbox One for their 1st party exclusives. I never intended to play any multiplats on it.
True True. But this year is pretty lacking in those. IF you don't have a xbone that is...(MCC will come to PC IT WILL COME).

Speaking for myself I bought my PS4 and Xbox One for their 1st party exclusives. I never intended to play any multiplats on it.

Well, this was a multiplat that you needed a console before it was announced for PC. So maybe this was a console exclusive that would sell some people a PS4 (or Xbox)? No longer necessary.

Denton

GTA 4 at max settings is hugely CPU bound. If you have a recent I5 with fast IPC it should run at 60fps with a few dips here and here.
At the time of release it was such a mess, but still better than the terrible console versions.
My game crashed on my 8800GT/Core 2 Duo E8400 PC but it ran better and looked better than the PS3 version I also had.

GTA 5 will also be a demanding game if your standard is 1080p/60fps.

True, that GTX560Ti was accompanied by 2500K, which I suspect will last me this entire generation.

Top Bottom