• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Konami Offline Tax for players who opt out of FOBs

This seem like a stupid way to ruin a great game, isn't it? Isn't MGSV doing well?

The konami logic probably assumes they've already got the majority of retail sales now, and so this is the best time to try and squeeze more out of those people via microtransactions.

Konami gonna konami basically

short version: Konami decides to take a large portion of all your assets online 1 month after launch like it or not, and the max cap of what you can have is lowered offline. The reason is obvious to me that Konami wants to passive aggressively force people to get online, get involved into the FOB game, and hopefully sell some micro transactions along the way.

You know a good way to do this would be the event they just added where you have to reach 5 fob cores before a certain date for nice rewards. I just don't understand how causing people extra inconvenience was decided on to make people want to use online, i think it could easily scare off more wavering people than it gains.,

Astery

You know a good way to do this would be the event they just added where you have to reach 5 fob cores before a certain date for nice rewards. I just don't understand how causing people extra inconvenience was decided on to make people want to use online, i think it could easily scare off more wavering people than it gains.,

Psychology and passive aggressive tactics exploitation. People generally don't like things get taken away from them, as long as 1 gets online wanting to get what they have been robbed back, Konami already wins. People who have been offline and never will will not make profit to Konami on the FOB front from this game anymore once it is sold to them. People who have been enjoying FOB/ online will have no problems with the change since their "welfare" have no changes (The end result is very much the same despite what was changed in the middle), or even better for them...Except when the server screws up.

KyleCross

So, I've been staying offline as the game is wanting to force me into mock infiltration FOB tutorial, which I'm told is the point of no return; do it and your shit is online for the taking.

But I noticed my GMP seemed low where it always seemed high, after seeing this thread I checked.

Offline my GMP is 500,000 but online it's 5 MILLION!

Fuck this shit! So now I HAVE to get involved in FOBs and risk my supplies and staff being stolen cause the game is literally holding me hostage, I'm locked into the FOB tutorial if I'm online and I don't have enough GMP to develop anything if I'm offline!

I've been playing this game for 75 fucking hours, I just got to chapter 2 and I already know the ending. I'm seriously about to say "fuck it."

myco666

So, I've been staying offline as the game is wanting to force me into mock infiltration FOB tutorial, which I'm told is the point of no return; do it and your shit is online for the taking.

But I noticed my GMP seemed low where it always seemed high, after seeing this thread I checked.

Fuck this shit! So now I HAVE to get involved in FOBs and risk my supplies and staff being stolen cause the game is literally holding me hostage, I'm locked into the FOB tutorial if I'm online and I don't have enough GMP to develop anything if I'm offline!

I've been playing this game for 75 fucking hours, I just got to chapter 2 and I already know the ending. I'm seriously about to say "fuck it."

Well to be fair you most likely wont get invaded ever. I have only been invaded once during my 100+ hours and that was when I didn't have any security on my FOB. As long as you have some security and your FOB platforms have 2/4 you should be fine. There is always the possibility of getting invaded and get stuff stolen but from my understanding they can't steal that much.

What I don't like is how they decided to make this game force you to go online now. I should have a choice to opt out of the online stuff if I so choose. Then there is also the server maintenance which also locks you out of your resources which is really stupid.

How to fix the offline tax:

- Finish all story missions
- Sell the game

Worked for me!

The gameplay is super good though which makes me want to play it more and more. It really sucks that the game is otherwise so good but Konami decides to make it less fun to play.

First of all, online has a cap, 5m just like offline. So no more GMP can be transferred online.

Second, if you are that paranoid about your resources getting jacked all you need to do is build out your FOB and when you get the nag screen for the tutorial for FOB invasions, just disconnect your internet and the nag screen will go away. You can reconnect afterwards and still have the full benefit of having an FOB and you will never be invaded. As long as you never complete the invasion tutorial you will never be invaded.

But the reality is that even if you finish the tutorial, as long as you dont invade anyone, you will rarely be invaded, if ever.

Coreda

Edit: seems to have been mostly explained above, although my last question is still relevant.

I've read the game forces you to create a FOB during mission 21/22. I currently have mission 21 as the next in the list, and have so far declined the ToS upon launch.

If I continue in offline mode is that that only requirement for avoiding the online FOB sections? Some have said you need to be disconnected entirely from the internet past mission 21, while others share different views.

Also is there any development that is locked behind FOB creation/management? I notice some weapon designs require a security team which I haven't encountered up to this point.

the lengths people go to defend a a "not a big deal" change that is designed to gimp existing customers' experiences and attempt to /pave road for extracting more micro transactions money is amusing.

Because it really isnt a big deal. Do you realize how easy is to make 5m GMP and farm resources? After you get the wormhole fulton and develop f. ballista for D walker the only thing holding you back from practically unlimited resources and GMP is how often you want to do 10 min farming runs and how fast you can process resources.

KyleCross

First of all, online has a cap, 5m just like offline. So no more GMP can be transferred online.

Second, if you are that paranoid about your resources getting jacked all you need to do is build out your FOB and when you get the nag screen for the tutorial for FOB invasions, just disconnect your internet and the nag screen will go away. You can reconnect afterwards and still have the full benefit of having an FOB and you will never be invaded. As long as you never complete the invasion tutorial you will never be invaded.

But the reality is that even if you finish the tutorial, as long as you dont invade anyone, you will rarely be invaded, if ever.
I've already constructed my FOB, but the game is still forcing me. It's forcing me to choose a rival and perform the mock-infiltration if I'm online. There is no avoiding, either have myself being able to have my FOB invaded or just give up 5 million GMP.

myco666

Because it really isnt a big deal. Do you realize how easy is to make 5m GMP and farm resources? After you get the wormhole fulton and develop f. ballista for D walker the only thing holding you back from practically unlimited resources and GMP is how often you want to do 10 min farming runs and how fast you can process resources.

Please do tell me how it is easy to rack up 5m GMP. It would come handy when the game decides to take all your GMP away for no reason. And if there is a server maintenance which seems to be almost everytime I have time to play I have almost all of my GMP and resources locked out. Not because I wanted to avoid online but because Konami doesn't let me go online.

Astery

IMO, the thing is that farming are unnecessary there in the first place. Staying on the back of a truck and let the game run itself to process materials itself while you do other things is also something akin to the shit you have to deal with when playing free to play games. It's really not about how easy it is, but the reason of doing things like this. There is no place of them to be there as they add nothing enjoyable in such process, only annoyances. All for the ultimate goal leading to micro transactions.

Edit: seems to have been mostly explained above, although my last question is still relevant.

I've read the game forces you to create a FOB during mission 21/22. I currently have mission 21 as the next in the list, and have so far declined the ToS upon launch.

If I continue in offline mode is that that only requirement for avoiding the online FOB sections? Some have said you need to be disconnected entirely from the internet past mission 21, while others share different views.

Also is there any development that is locked behind FOB creation/management? I notice some weapon designs require a security team which I haven't encountered up to this point.

Mission 21 is where you will be defending mother base from an invasion. Afterwards you will get a tutorial to build a FOB. Go ahead and build it. What opens your FOB to invasions is completing the tutorial where you are asked to invade a FOB. As long as you dont complete that tutorial you will never be invaded. All you have to do to get out of the tutorial is disconnect your internet connection. The nag screen will go away. You can reconnect your internet and sign back online and you will have access to your online stuff. The nag screen will alway pop up when you first sign online or when you fast travel back to ACC and open your idroid, when that happens just disconnect. And when I say disconnect, I dont mean disconnect from the game menu.

I've already constructed my FOB, but the game is still forcing me. It's forcing me to choose a rival and perform the mock-infiltration if I'm online. There is no avoiding, either have myself being able to have my FOB invaded or just give up 5 million GMP.

Disconnect your internet (if you are on PS4 unplug your LAN cable), the nag screen will go away. Reconnect and sign back online.

Coreda

Mission 21 is where you will be defending mother base from an invasion. Afterwards you will get a tutorial to build a FOB. Go ahead and build it. What opens your FOB to invasions is completing the tutorial where you are asked to invade a FOB. As long as you dont complete that tutorial you will never be invaded. All you have to do to get out of the tutorial is disconnect your internet connection. The nag screen will go away. You can reconnect your internet and sign back online and you will have access to your online stuff. The nag screen will alway pop up when you first sign online or when you fast travel back to ACC and open your idroid, when that happens just disconnect. And when I say disconnect, I dont mean disconnect from the game menu.

Thanks. Matches what this user posted as instructions. They also mention if you repeat the disconnection/bypass process to avoid the tutorial 5 times the game stops asking you.

KyleCross

Disconnect your internet (if you are on PS4 unplug your LAN cable), the nag screen will go away. Reconnect and sign back online.
Yeah, and when I do this and pop open the iDroid I'm back locked into the "Choose a Rival" tutorial. If I'm online this happens whenever the iDroid is opened, period.

Yeah, and when I do this and pop open the iDroid I'm back locked into the "Choose a Rival" tutorial. If I'm online this happens whenever the iDroid is opened, period.

No it doesnt. It only happens when you first sign in and open your idroid or when you return to the ACC and open your idroid.

Sign in, open your idroid, tutorial pops up. Disconnect, reconnect, sign in, then open your idroid. Tutorial will not pop up. Start a mission, open idroid in the field, tutorial will not pop up.

KyleCross

No it doesnt. It only happens when you first sign in and open your idroid or when you return to the ACC and open your idroid.

Sign in, open your idroid, tutorial pops up. Disconnect, reconnect, sign in, then open your idroid. Tutorial will not pop up. Start a mission, open idroid in the field, tutorial will not pop up.
This is ridiculous.

SMZC

if anything, you'll have an easier time 100% the game if you log-in each time you play to maximize resources

This used to be true before the latest hot fix. In order to 100% the game you need the 50,000 diamonds from that one dispatch mission in order to develop every weapon and item. If you go online even once after obtaining those, though, 90% of them will be transferred to your FOB, rendering them virtually useless because online resources can't be sold for GMP. And what is the point of leveling anything at all in the game if you can hardly develop any weapons or items? Virtually every leveling up that you do in the game is done with the purpose of developing more things. It doesn't matter if further building MB or your FOB is easier when online, because taking all of your diamonds away and preventing you from selling them will, by itself, keep you from developing most stuff.

This used to be fine up until Monday or so, but like I explained, the latest hot fix made things ridiculous. Again, they literally take away 90% of every resource that you own the very instant that you go online. This is an inexcusable mess, no two ways about it.

This is incorrect. You can spend your online resources. You have to be online to do it. I explained exactly how online/offline resources work in a post a few pages back.

You can use them to build or develop things, but you can't sell anything that is online, which is the problem that I had with the diamonds.

This used to be true before the latest hot fix. In order to 100% the game you need the 50,000 diamonds from that one dispatch mission in order to develop every weapon and item. If you go online even once after obtaining those, though, 90% of them will be transferred to your FOB, rendering them virtually useless because online resources can't be sold for GMP. And what is the point of leveling anything at all in the game if you can hardly develop any weapons or items? Virtually every leveling up that you do in the game is done with the purpose of developing more things. It doesn't matter if further building MB or your FOB is easier when online, because taking all of your diamonds away and preventing you from selling them will, by itself, keep you from developing most stuff.

This used to be fine up until Monday or so, but like I explained, the latest hot fix made things ridiculous. Again, they literally take away 90% of every resource that you own the very instant that you go online. This is an inexcusable mess, no two ways about it.

You can use them to build or develop things, but you can't sell anything that is online, which is the problem that I had with the diamonds.

i don't disagree at all, but online resources are gradually shifted into offline resources as you play. you're not permanently locked out from selling all that stuff

SMZC

i don't disagree at all, but online resources are gradually shifted into offline resources as you play. you're not permanently locked out from selling all that stuff

How quickly are these online resources transferred?

So, what happens if your console is completely offline for extended periods of time?

You don't get the free daily bonus and you will only get your processed online materials when you go back online. That's literally it. I used to go online a couple of times every day before Monday's update, but now Konami has literally made it detrimental to get online even once, if you ask me.

SMZC

Youre also not able to use anything that Konami decided to store online.

That's not a problem if you never go online, because no resource of yours is ever taken away from you in the first place.

Konami is so stupid. In their efforts to force people online, they have effectively made it more convenient to not touch the online at all.

myco666

How quickly are these online resources transferred?

I sold all my offline PM did a mission and I had 1000 PM back in offline resources. So probably everytime you hit a checkpoint or something. It isn't a big thing but I don't understand why I can't just sell bunch of them and why they even have to be online. Unprocessed I understand as invaders need something to fulton but it is not like they can get your processed materials.

Every night, I can feel my fuel ... and my GMP... even my vehicles. The resources I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make Konami give back our past.

Konami is so stupid. In their efforts to force people online, they have effectively made it more convenient to not touch the online at all.
This.

And it's just confusing. All these prompts for something I don't even want to play. I just want to play single player and that's it.

SMZC

I sold all my offline PM did a mission and I had 1000 PM back in offline resources. So probably everytime you hit a checkpoint or something. It isn't a big thing but I don't understand why I can't just sell bunch of them and why they even have to be online. Unprocessed I understand as invaders need something to fulton but it is not like they can get your processed materials.

Gotcha. That's a bit better than what I was expecting, but staying offline still seems the best course of action to me. And yeah, I agree. This F2P bullshit in full retail games needs to die in a fire.

OBias

I can confirm that. I've never invaded anyone (save for the event Mosquito FOB), and I'm yet to be invaded myself.

BTW, during the last Steam maintenance I noticed that I can't even launch MGS V while Steam servers are offline, WTF?

worst part of this scummy change is that the game has regular maintenance

so last night I was forced negative and had a morale drop... and I couldn't sell enough shit to go positive (or buy anything if I had needed to) not because of my mistake and not even because I chose to play offline but just because Konami's servers were offline

still a big fan of the FOB system in general but those transfer change 1 month after releasing is one of the scummiest things I've seen.

myco666

worst part of this scummy change is that the game has regular maintenance

so last night I was forced negative and had a morale drop... and I couldn't sell enough shit to go positive (or buy anything if I had needed to) not because of my mistake and not even because I chose to play offline but just because Konami's servers were offline

still a big fan of the FOB system in general but those transfer change 1 month after releasing is one of the scummiest things I've seen.

Yeah it is ridiculous that the game locks you out of your resources not because you decide to go offline to avoid FOB but because Konami servers are down. There is no justification to have GMP or Processed Materials in online storage. And the server issues have hit me often since I don't have that much time to play atm and when I have it has almost always been when servers are down so byebye resources.

This is ridiculous.

Are you in the ACC when you're online? Before the last patch at least, you could stay online and not be bothered by the mock infiltration if you were on motherbase or on mission. If you were online and in the ACC you'd get stuck with the mock mission until you broke connection. I've been offline since before the patch came out to avoid all this garbage.

JackelZXA

I just played a full second playthrough and I was online the whole time and never got invaded. The online resources limiting my sales is probably kind of a good idea in that it prevents me from running into a problem I had my first time when I sold something I would need later. That kind of makes sense. I can still use everything for building so it doesn't cause any problems. But yeah, I never got FOB invaded once. I wonder if there's some player matching thing that matches people with people who are engaging in fob invasions? (You also get resources from your fob when you're online, which is why I stayed online the whole second playthrough)

Same here, except just over 100 hours. Never been invaded, never lost resources. There's a lot of fear-mongering, hyperbole, and misinformation going on in this thread.

So it's misinformation and hyperbole because your experience was apparently different? I was invaded several times and lost a good chunk of soldiers and resources before I started doing it as well, so please stop with the dismissive bullshit, thanks.

Santar

h0D41e3.jpg

All you have to do to avoid the offline tax is select decline on this screen during startup.
So many people seem to not read the OP.

So it's misinformation and hyperbole because your experience was apparently different? I was invaded several times and lost a good chunk of soldiers and resources before I started doing it as well, so please stop with the dismissive bullshit, thanks.

It's been confirmed in multiple threads/posts that you don't lose anywhere near the amount of stuff that people like you are claiming. That it's more beneficial to have an FOB than not. Please stop with your overly exaggerated bullshit, kiddo.

BokehKing

Banned
I have yet to pick up this game because in passing I saw bs threads on here like this and other places...something about supplemental life insurance? Could someone quickly summarize wtf?

Can't I just play the game

It's been confirmed in multiple threads/posts that you don't lose anywhere near the amount of stuff that people like you are claiming. That it's more beneficial to have an FOB than not. Please stop with your overly exaggerated bullshit, kiddo.

I wasn't referring to that, kiddo, I was referring to your insinuation that no one loses anything with your bullshit claim that you've never been invaded in 100 hours (have you never gone online? Have you never done mission 22? Are you just lying out your ass?). I've been invaded by the same guy 5 days in a row while I was away from home, and lost a pretty large amount of S-ranks and resources. Anyway, that's another kiddo ignored.

Santar

I have yet to pick up this game because in passing I saw bs threads on here like this and other places...something about supplemental life insurance? Could someone quickly summarize wtf?

Can't I just play the game

Se my post further up.
As long as you select Decline on the game startup screen you will be fine. No taxes will be taken, you can just play the game and never have to deal with anything.

KyleCross

Are you in the ACC when you're online? Before the last patch at least, you could stay online and not be bothered by the mock infiltration if you were on motherbase or on mission. If you were online and in the ACC you'd get stuck with the mock mission until you broke connection. I've been offline since before the patch came out to avoid all this garbage.

I have since actually gone through the prompts leading to the mock infiltration, there were a bunch of them but I eventually got to one while still not engaging the mock infiltration and it allowed me to start backing out. Since doing that I have not been pestered once about doing it. Everything seems finished, yet I didn't actually do the infilration.

You'll know when you can back out when the sound of the ACC comes back (the locked tutorial screens are all soundless) and there's no red arrows. I just did this out of frustration and basically going "Fine, I'll do it dammit!" but then noticed the sound return and no more arrows and sure enough, I could back out.

I still never did the mock infiltration, so I assume my FOB isn't online, yet the game no longer pesters me with forced tutorials.

JackelZXA

I wasn't referring to that, kiddo, I was referring to your insinuation that no one loses anything with your bullshit claim that you've never been invaded in 100 hours (have you never gone online? Have you never done mission 22? Are you just lying out your ass?). I've been invaded by the same guy 5 days in a row while I was away from home, and lost a pretty large amount of S-ranks and resources. Anyway, that's another kiddo ignored.

Do you do invasions yourself? I'm wondering if player targeting has to do with whether someone has been participating. I started a second playthrough and haven't been invaded during my SECOND run. (I copied my data to usb and started fresh) I haven't done any invasions yet and I've not been invaded myself, despite beating the game already a second time. (The first time i did invasions, but not on this save file)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rCmII_X6o8 I uploaded some video of me going through the online menus to show what's going on. (I don't have any invasions in my history log, and I haven't used any FOB Insurance.)

Do you do invasions yourself? I'm wondering if player targeting has to do with whether someone has been participating. I started a second playthrough and haven't been invaded during my SECOND run. (I copied my data to usb and started fresh) I haven't done any invasions yet and I've not been invaded myself, despite beating the game already a second time. (The first time i did invasions, but not on this save file)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rCmII_X6o8 I uploaded some video of me going through the online menus to show what's going on. (I don't have any invasions in my history log, and I haven't used any FOB Insurance.)

I started getting invaded before I'd even done any myself.

Top Bottom