• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter: Console market may collapse in the future.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Taken from his latest episode.

Console software is gonna move off consoles. In the next two to three years, you're gonna have the opportunity to download to your PC and play on your TV. In the next 10 years you're gonna download to your phone and play on your TV.," he said.

What do you think?

Xando

Console software is gonna move off consoles. In the next two to three years, you're gonna have the opportunity to download to your PC and play on your TV.

You can and could do this for a few years now.

Maybe he should look into stuff like steamlink before spouting nonsense

-shadow-

So basically a streaming service? It could overtake consoles, but with input lag, data caps and more I'm not seeing that happening.

Marcel

It may stagnate and become more niche but collapse? Oh please. How many times have you made this prediction before, Mike?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Isn't Patcher in the bottom percentile of or (close to it) for analysts in his line of work. Why do we keep having threads about him. You can flip a coin and have higher accuracy than he does. In the far future this may happen but this isn't a bold prediction.

Kouriozan

Well people thought console gaming was dead with the PS3, it might happen since we never know what will be the next big thing, but I doubt it.

Sephzilla

I feel like the video game market is a lot further off from that than people think. I don't feel the infrastructure is there yet.

kswiston

It seems inevitable in the long run.

Whether that is 5, 10, or 15 years from now, I have no idea. I'd guess closer to 15 though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The only way this happens is if everything is streaming. Most PCs cannot (and will not) run anything close to a modern game.

I would guess a 0% chance of anything like that happening.

As proven with this generation of consoles, console/PC quality games are in demand judging by sales of software and hardware. Mobile tech cannot give you that experience. Thete is probably 85%(guessing) of console gamers who do not want to build a PC in order to play games.

Try again Patcher. This hot take is a failure.

Marcel

I feel like the video game market is a lot further off from that than people think.

Considering American internet will get even worse if net neutrality is gutted then we will definitely be the furthest off from the magical fairy tale streaming future.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Isn't Patcher in the bottom percentile of or (close to it) for analysts in his line of work. Why do we keep having threads about him.

I don't think so. He's far from always wrong. He actually answered to this in an older episode, with good numbers.

guek

Banned
Isn't Patcher in the bottom percentile of or (close to it) for analysts in his line of work. Why do we keep having threads about him.

But he says stuff on the internet. I saw him on gametrailers. The guy wears glasses.

edit: I actually don't know how accurate he is, he just gets way too much attention

Of course dedicated gaming consoles will go away in time but not for another 5-10 years at minimum. Not really a wild prediction by any means.

LordRaptor

In the next 2 to 3 years you're going to be able to download a game on your PC and play it while connected to a TV, huh?

WHAT A WORLD

Sephzilla

Considering American internet will get even worse if net neutrality is gutted then we will definitely be the furthest off from the magical fairy tale streaming future.

Yep, I was about to edit this into my original comment lol. Considering the current American government is probably going to fuck over internet laws here, it's likely going to cause a push to go back towards physical media.

slit

Nintendo and Sony would never allow their software to be consumed that way. They'd be crazy to. MS? Maybe.

I don't understand his point about phones. You still need a device capable of rendering the game. Is he suggesting all games in the future will be limited to the power of mobile hardware?

Dear god I hope that doesn't happen. If it does I'm probably out of gaming for good.

Oersted

Taken from his latest episode.

Console software is gonna move off consoles. In the next two to three years, you're gonna have the opportunity to download to your PC and play on your TV. In the next 10 years you're gonna download to your phone and play on your TV.," he said.

What do you think?

He brings this up all the time and you still can't consider me convinced

Vinc

Maybe... once phones can output at a graphical level high enough that people no longer care to upgrade to PC / Consoles.

As for PCs... I mean.. .you can already do this. It's way more cost efficient to buy a console for the vast majority of people.

The reason we may eventually move to phones would be if it's more cost efficient.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
We need a 2007 iPhone like console evolution. Something that blows everyone away. Not gonna happen anytime soon I feel. I absolutely love the Switch though, it's so small and convenient.

Trago

I don't think "collapse" is the right word. I think consoles will remain in their own class of gaming separate from other categories. People still like console convenience. I'm not sure streaming is the future either. Something like Xbox Game Pass makes more sense to me in terms of content distribution, especially for casual players. Digital distribution across multiple devices that is.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
eh obviously his literal words seem goofy, but his message is pretty "no duh". Just like mainstream computing has largely moved from PC to mobile.. obviously things will continue moving that way. Switch is just the start. When the switch-concept and mobiel converge a bit more, you'll basically be downloading stuff to your primary mobile and playing on your larger display will just be an option.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol this guy has been saying the same shit for years now. And he's not alone. All the analysts were down on the prospect of current gen and then the PS4 came out and became the fastest selling console ever.

I like Pachter. But dont listen to these guys.

Top Bottom