• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter: Project Morpheus 'a really bad idea for Sony'

I haven't seen a thread about this, so lock if old

Morpheus a “Really Bad Idea for Sony,” but PS4 Will Be a “Wild Success” According to Michael Pachter

Today we had the chance to have a long and very interesting conversation with Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter, and we heard his opinion about quite a few topics. Of course we couldn’t avoid asking about Sony’s Project Morpheus, and our crystal ball holder extraordinaire seemed not to be very enthusiastic about the commercial value of the idea.

I think it’s a bad idea for multiple participants to chase it, and I think it’s a really bad idea for Sony. I have no problem with the Oculus Rift, that they’re trying it, because they’re a startup and that’s a very small market and if they dominate it that’s great, but if it’s a small market and there are multiple players, it’s gonna be hard for anybody to make money.

And I don’t think it’s gonna be a big market. It sounds interesting, but I don’t think there will be enough content to justify making the capital investment to create the headset. I think it’s chicken and egg. If there’s no content you’re not gonna buy a virtual reality headset, and if you don’t buy a virtual reality headset, there won’t be any content, because no one will make a dedicated game for a very small audience.

The Oculus Rift guys are making some games themselves, and they hired some pretty impressive people. Sony certainly is capable of doing the same, and if you wanna think about Sony’s success here, remember all the big 3D games and how those did. Nobody cares. So I think it’s just a super super small market.

Pachter continued by explaining that gamers have demonstrated not to be very interested in peripherals with the exception of Kinect, so they’re probably not going to buy Morpheus en masse:

I think the Oculus guys are gonna be very happy with a million sales. If they get a million sales, they’re gonna get a ton of money. A million sales is a huge success for Oculus Rift. It’s just a hiccup for Sony.

I think people believe that Sony validated the concept by offering something of their own. The Oculus Rift guys, I don’t think they’re looking to sell ten million units. I think that if they sell a million they’ll create some more content, and then the next iteration sells two, the next iteration sells four… I think they have a very patient, long-term plan. A million of this for Sony… they’re better off spending that money on marketing for PS4.

We also asked him about Sony’s profitability in general, and while he was very honest in admitting that he doesn’t know much about Sony’s non-gaming businesses, he believes the PS4 will be extremely successful:

I don’t know a lot about Sony’s other businesses so I couldn’t tell you how their TV division is doing or their movie division, I think that PlayStation is going to be a wild success, and I think the PlayStation division is gonna be very profitable, buy they might lose all that money with TV shows.

It’s like talking about theme parks profits in the context of Dysney. If the Marvel movies don’t work, or if Star Wars doesn’t work, Dysney isn’t going to be as profitable if the theme park business improves by ten percent. I can’t comment on all of Sony’s businesses, because I really jsut don’t know.

While Pachter definitely isn’t a believer, it’ll be interesting to see if the “wild success” of the PS4 will manage to pull gamers in with Morpheus. Hopefully it will, as the concept is definitely interesting, but lack of success from such a big player as Sony could probably put virtual reality as a mass market back into the pipe dreams closet. As usual, we’ll have to wait and see what will happen in the next couple years.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...-a-wild-success-according-to-michael-pachter/

FluxWaveZ

It'll always be a small market if multiple participants don't try to create it. Having one company monopolize it doesn't sound like too great an idea, either.

Courage

I don't think Pachter realizes what VR is. It's not some small niche market that'll crash and burn; this is supposedly where gaming is going next.

LiK

Depends on the price and I assume Sony will get a lot of devs to try making games for it like the Move.

Sony -
post-36309-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-qBhJ.gif

Blablurn

If they catch the zeitgeist it could be a very good idea. the wii is just the best example. of course price matters too

I don't think Pachter realizes what VR is. It's not some small niche market that'll crash and burn; this is supposedly where gaming is going next.

We say this everytime and we always drop back to our refined controllers and pretty tvs

Im not saying it shouldn't be done. We NEED shakeups

Im just saying that trying to take it full scale and mass market will only give short term results.

At least thats how I see it. VR would have to be so easy-to-use and culturally ubiquitous and necessary to latch on and become the actual future.

I just dont see it becoming the next "smartphone revolution" for gaming.

i think at the right price ($400 or less) and with the right marketing this thing can be as successful as kinect was sales-wise. if sony is successful in getting the hype machine going people are going to snatch this thing up.

i'm assuming that it could be used as just a 3d headset like the hmz for games that aren't doing vr? that in itself is appealing to me. i'd use it to play the next battlefield in 3d even if there's no headtracking or other vr "features."

RetroStu

Banned
All this 'niche product' and 'the market isn't there for vr' type quotes regarding VR may or may not be true but after trying the Oculus myself a few months ago, stick working VR set ups in game stores and this thing will take off HUGELY.
I bet 80% of people who tried it would instantly want it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
His arguments are made partially invalid by the Facebook investment. That doesn't mean it will be easier for Sony. It might require a lot bigger investment than initially planned if Facebook manages to create a bigger market. .

Beelzebubs

The exact same thing was said about 3D in homes. I actually think Pacther has a point, at launch Morpheus will likely have a high price entry point which will not translate to mass market consumption.

Time will tell if this is a good or a bad move. I really hope VR works out, already got my Crystal Cove on preorder.

Multiple competitors? I'm sure the only way to do VR on a console is gonna be through PS4, since MS has doubled down on Kinect with the Xbox One.

Facebook will have the PC market, and Sony will have the console space.

Seanspeed

Banned
More than just gaming. Its gonna be the future of a LOT of things.

And Sony have already rightfully talked about being in this for more than just games in the long run.

I think he's got a valid concern about needing content to sell headsets, but I think that will come, even if its slow at first.

Pachter my man - you are always wrong in the best ways. :)

Courage

We say this everytime and we always drop back to our refined controllers and pretty tvs

Im not saying it shouldn't be done. We NEED shakeups

Im just saying that trying to take it full scale and mass market will only give short term results.

At least thats how I see it. VR would have to be so easy-to-use and culturally ubiquitous and necessary to latch on and become the actual future.

I just dont see it becoming the next "smartphone revolution" for gaming.

It's not really a gimmick though, especially when it significantly enhances and changes the way you play. It's not some novelty that has no room to expand.

More than just gaming. Its gonna be the future of a LOT of things.

And Sony have already rightfully talked about being in this for more than just games in the long run.

I think he's got a valid concern about needing content to sell headsets, but I think that will come, even if its slow at first.

Pachter my man - you are always wrong in the best ways. :)

agreed.

Dragon

Banned
Are you serious Pachter?

You're thinking in small terms on the VR front. Limiting it to PS4 games is foolish, Sony isn't. Obviously with the Facebook news, OR isn't either. It's going to start out niche, just like Playstation Now. That doesn't mean it's going to stay that way.

samn

An awful lot of successful games won't work in VR due to motion sickness caused by any acceleration. Can you imagine trying to play Titanfall?

It'll be interesting to see what kind of games will work best in this new format, and whether they'll be as compelling.

BadWolf

The exact same thing was said about 3D in homes. I actually think Pacther has a point, at launch Morpheus will likely have a high price entry point which will not translate to mass market consumption.

Time will tell if this is a good or a bad move. I really hope VR works out, already got my Crystal Cove on preorder.

Big difference between the games and experiences possible with 3D and VR.

Until it's a failed product on the market, it's not a bad idea. Until then it's just another R&D project like many others, except knowledge of this one has been made public.

Ogni-XR21

Sony either jumps in now and carves a space for itself in the VR market or they get left behind.

This is what I'm thinking. They either go for it now or will be left behind once it takes off. Sometimes you have to try something new or you will be left behind (see MS on not going for the mobile OS market in time).

sirap

Pachter doesn't know just how much money there is in VR. Even if morpheus fails as a gaming device, there are a hundred other uses for it.

I've recently signed a 6 figure deal to develop something involving VR (still undecided if we're going with Rift) but VR is hot right now.

Dragon

Banned
An awful lot of successful games won't work in VR due to motion sickness caused by any acceleration. Can you imagine trying to play Titanfall?

It'll be interesting to see what kind of games will work best in this new format, and whether they'll be as compelling.

Porting existing games over is not going to be the thing that drives these devices adoption. You need compelling experiences built for OR and Morpheus.

Courage

Can you imagine a world where products get improved? We're still in the early stages, and I'm sure motion sickness is probably one of the top issues they're trying to tackle.

Top Bottom