• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

galvatron

Some of my best friends are console gamers. I'm tolerant of alternative lifestyles... /s

Seriously, just wow...dude is trying hard to get a tag on his GAF account.

Could it be an age thing? Like all of his PC playing friends are still reminiscing about MUDs and BBSes or something? It's so ludicrous that it borders on self-parody...

I've got plenty of consoles in the same room as my gaming PC. I'm a lifelong console gamer who realized that it seems silly to pay PSN or XBL prices for digital games when PC offers some of the same games for 90% off.

EDIT: I'm thinking it is parody or a lie now. Clicked the link and got bombarded with tits in the ad banner with work blocking the site content.

Fugu

I mean they do call themselves the master race.
I've always felt that the irony behind this term is that it seems to have become popular around the late aughts when PC gaming started getting a lot of console ports that were, by and large, just superior versions of what was available on the console and that the kinds of gamers jumping ship from console to PC for this reason are those that have the least justification to beat their chest about how great PC gaming is.

To all console players right here (except the Nintendo dudes):

Do you know that you are currently playing on x86_64 based PCs, right?

Actually, old&slow PCs, despite the new Pro and Scorpio, with no future over 2 years from now.

So all of you are already playing on PC.

My question is: are all of you retards?

:)

Good show!

Anyway, this thread is great. I especially love everyone who's taking out their anger over this guy's comment on all console gamers, and as such proving him at least partly right!

To all console players right here (except the Nintendo dudes):

Do you know that you are currently playing on x86_64 based PCs, right?

Actually, old&slow PCs, despite the new Pro and Scorpio, with no future over 2 years from now.

So all of you are already playing on PC.

My question is: are all of you retards?

:)

giphy.gif

Toparaman

Banned
Seems like a fake quote. The top article on the front page of the linked site is about how the end of the world is coming. It's a tabloid that depends on sensationalism.

Tagyhag

There are some asshole PC gamers sure.

But is he really going to say that about all PC gamers? And is he really implying that there are no console fanboys?

This is stupid as hell, even coming from Pachter.

I wonder what brought it on?

tuxfool

Banned
Sure are a lot of Juniors agreeing with him. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mean the Juniors with 200 posts. I mean the Junior'ed. Those that have said something stupid and got their thread creation rights taken away. Not the Juniors. The Junior'eds! They're the problem. I love Juniors, my best friend is a Junior. But the Junior'eds, they've created a real problem in this forum, and until the Junior community addresses its problems, no progress can be made.

Haha, good stuff.

I did notice the prevalence of juniors saying dumb things. I didn't want to mention it for fear of being a racist.

but to be safe #notalljuniors

Well, I didn't attack anyone and that guy did exactly that and then edited his answer. Very classy.

Uhh, I don't know what you're trying to insinuate because for once in my life, that edit was just to fix up my grammar, not to change the intended meaning of the post away from some other insult that was originally there. My response to you says essentially the same thing now as it did before I edited it lol

ViolentP

Of course you would have to define your values to claim that it's better or worse.
Evidently if we're talking about the values pushed by Sony or MSFT, it's self evident that consoles fare less than ideally than PCs.

Agreed. And what some people need to realize that even with that being the case, it holds little weight in determining the right platform for an individual.

Yeah. Everyone is doing that. Seems all white people call themselves Trump Supporters, because there is a Trump subreddit.

What are you trying to say? Even without the PC Master Race thing the whole fandom is enshrouded in a superiority complex with undertones of the Übermensch philosophy that it's not hard to look at it this way. And yes, I directly blame them for turning every game discussion into graphics pissing matches.

I can see how one might get that impression if you only surf Reddit...although it is pretty bad over there. What started off as satire has been taken to heart by many over there, and the front page is often littered with obnoxious Master Race posts

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
They? Do you think all PC gamers join some kind of secret club with a uniform identity and a representative opinion?

There's definitely a misplaced air of superiority that is relatively common, unfortunately. It goes with the loud persecution complex that follows involving portbegging.

Youtube comments. Thinking they're high and mighty and that console peasants shouldn't be allowed to game. Seriously.
Youtube comments. Seriously.
Youtube comments.

GM0QPRU.png

dunno what you expected, bro. That's Youtube comments for you.

Seriously, Youtube comments are the most vile shit. You're not going to find anything that's really indicative of the behavior of ANY platform's overarching userbase there. You can't even tell what's sincere and what's some fifteen year old with severe social dysfunction trying to rustle some jimmies

I basically equate Elitist PC gamers to console fanboys. There is no doubt they exist, but aren't the main userbase. The issue is they are often extremely loud about it making them seem a bigger group than they are.

LCGeek

formerly sane
It is irresponsible of Pacther to make blanket statements like that but there is a grain of truth that the PC community can have members that are judgemental.

Except pachter didn't make this distinction. Not only that various pc people have called out these snobs, so what makes his point special or worth noting when it's not new.

Mediking

I don't deny that there can be an air of superiority sometimes among high-end PC users. But the racism comparison is just idiotic, and calling people "arrogant twits" doesn't really seem particularly apt when people do kind of have some legitimate claim to be arrogant about their box vs. the Pro. And this isn't meant to incite console warz, I just mean that the pitch of the Pro is better hardware that plays the same games. If you already have a good gaming rig, you've already been gaming on a box for some time that not only outperforms the PS4, but is also going to outperform the Pro. What does the Pro offer this person?

I can think of two that can entice a PC gamer who doesn't own a PS4...

Persona-5-GIF-7.gif

OdGfEbD.gif

But will these two games actually take advantage of the Pro is a better question...

Pancake Mix

I hate to play on the PC and love my consoles, but "PC gamers" are right. Exclusives are overrated

Calling bullshit. Sony and Nintendo's first party are god-tier. Microsoft has a bit of that too, but they no longer do true exclusives, which is frankly bizarre.

LordRaptor

Holy shit, if you are equating people smack-talking your gaming platform preference with living as a minority, you reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally need to re-evaluate your life.

Except pachter didn't make this distinction. Not only that various pc people have called out these snobs, so what makes his point special or worth noting when it's not new.

I don't disagree. He shouldn't have made this kind of statement. Just commenting my opinion on his hot take :)

Roo

Why people and the community in general still pay attention to this dude is beyond me.

Everytime he opens his mouth is to say something stupid.

Air

Banned
I don't know if I'd call them racist, but the same underlying mechanism behind racism is behind console or PC superiority mentalities.

T-Matt

I don't appreciate being compared to racists Mr. Pachter. I'm surprised he would paint with such a broad brush.

Alo0oy

Banned
All platforms have racists, every single gaming forum also has racists, it's a worldwide epidemic not exclusive to gaming actually.

The perception of PC gamers being more racist and sexist than console gamers is because of how Gamergaters leaned very heavily towards PC, and because they're generally more vocal and more likely to post on the internet than the average console gamer.

It doesn't mean there are more PC players that are racist, and it doesn't mean there are less, we have no statistics, it's just a perception issue because of Total Biscuit and his army.

Fugu

Hmmm... so what do you do when you see some console exclusives you're interested in? Just buy it like the Wii U?
Yeah, but it hasn't happened in years. I own a lot of consoles so it's not like I have some kind of irrational prejudice against them; I just don't need them any more. Besides, if some game turns out to be a classic ten years down the line the option is always there for me to pick it up at a bargain.

When people question why those who own PCs seem to have little interest in owning a console, it's quite helpful to put yourself in their shoes: What do consoles offer these days? The answer to that question is not "nothing", but it's increasingly limited in scope. Since at least the previous generation:
- Most important console games come to PC
- The indie market on PC is the largest
- The number of PC exclusives outnumber the aggregate number of console exclusives by a huge margin

This is not to say that there are no legitimate arguments in favor of owning (only) a console. It's just to say that the reasons are becoming more specific and limited in scope. If you're a big fan of JRPGs or fighting games, you probably have to bite the bullet and buy a console (although this is becoming less true in the case of fighting games). If you want to play FPSes online with a controller and not get tallywhacked, you're going to need a console.

These reasons are more specific than those in the past, such as "you need to own at least one console if you want to play half of the good games that came out this year".

They? Do you think all PC gamers join some kind of secret club with a uniform identity and a representative opinion?

Isnt this the case? They all meet in uniform and worship the Lord and Savior Gabe Newell to get in the Half Life 3 heaven.
/s

I can think of two that can entice a PC gamer who doesn't own a PS4...

Persona-5-GIF-7.gif

OdGfEbD.gif

But will these two games actually take advantage of the Pro is a better question...

Sure, but even if they did is that really that strong of a pitch? "Two exclusives you care about will perform better!" And if you cared about those games to begin with to own even a vanilla PS4, you already aren't the arrogant twit that refused to game on anything but PC that is being called out here.

Pancake Mix

Holy shit, if you are equating people smack-talking your gaming platform preference with living as a minority, you reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally need to re-evaluate your life.

I don't think he is, nor is he saying console gamers are a minority in the AAA space, because they aren't. He's making an analogy about a certain air of superiority that is pretty common.

-MB-

Watch the NX be underperforming specs wise to people's expectations to see this suppposed mentality of superiority be just as prevalent amongst console gamers themselves. That is why I always shakke my head when people pretend it is PC gamers that can be all uppity on this subject for the most part.

Not always. There's no standard. I mean there are people gaming with GTX 500 series video cards, some even with integrated graphics. That's not better than a PS4.

Come on, you know I was implying higher end machines.

That's even the point of the dumb "master race" meme.

Some of you need to defend consoles no matter what.

Even when others are saying "pc is technically superior, but people have different tastes and needs, so everything is fine".

maltrain

Explain this to me.

How is Racism the same as preference regarding what kind of box plays your video games?

Even comparable. At all

I think the guy is pretty clear why he use that analogy in terms of how extreme both are.

If you think an analogy necessarily put two things on the same level, that is wrong and I can't explain fully on english.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom