• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Is this the single dumbest thing this man has said so far?
For most people that would be an easy yes, in this particular case it's hard to tell.

I do wonder if he just craves the attention, or if he really believes what he says. I'm not sure which alternative is worse.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Im not saying he is totally right but the slogan PC Master Race exists after all and for a part of the the community console players are peasants.

People have already mentioned it's history. There are plenty of console snobs who rise to the level you mention about PC snobs. You can say your first point but if it has no awareness of the situation you're making it worse and representing a false view. A part as in a few thousand at best compared to how many millions, yep great thinking you have going on there.

For most people that would be an easy yes, in this particular case it's hard to tell.

I do wonder if he just craves the attention, or if he really believes what he says. I'm not sure which alternative is worse.

He's always been a troll or attention seeker and a bad one at that compared to what gaf has produced before he was ever around and since. He knows he's riling people up but usually it's measured with a little bit or reality here it's nothing but a dumb talking point that has no real place to go and didnt.

RK9039

Can someone give me a TL:DR on who this dude is and what has he done for the industry?

On topic: Why i am a racist if i dont want to buy a newconsole?I like kb+mouse and the tailoring of experience a PC offers.

I think he's that comedian guy that deliberately predicts things incorrectly to get laughs.

Anyway, the reason I'm not tempted by a PotatoStation 4 Pro is because I already own a NetflixStation 4.

Cess007

For those who need more proof on how out of touch Pachter is, remember this?

Long time guest of GTTV's Bonus Round and Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter said of The Walking Dead and Journey, "Those games don't have a prayer, they're not going to win."

GTTV host Daniel Kayser responded, asking,"Really? The Walking Dead doesn't have a prayer? Because the industry isn't ready to award something like that?"

"Totally not. The industry still thinks low price point, low quality. Even thought the game got great reviews. People loved it, they just think its not a real game, its like gaming light and there's no way".

FYI, Journey won best Independent Game that year as well.

This guy has to fucking retire already. Ignorance through and through. No wonder he works with Shane Shatterfield at SIFTED Games.

Glad both of these associated themselves with a sinking ship. We need less of people like this in the industry.

You joke, but I've met some people (and remember reading some people here too) who would agree with him in this sentiment (specially Journey)

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

Trey

Well, he may be right or not, but there's an absolute truth in there anyway: gaming on pc is factually better than anything else.

You can have everything and even more. Outside of console exclusive games, that is (that would still be better on pc, given the chance).

Pachter is the same old funny dude.

PC Might is Right™

ViolentP

Well, he may be right or not, but there's an absolute truth in there anyway: gaming on pc is factually better than anything else.

You can have everything and even more. Outside of console exclusive games, that is (that would still be better on pc, given the chance).

Pachter is the same old funny dude.

Some people simply prefer consoles and they wouldn't be wrong in doing so.

Lister

Banned
Pachter's argument is stupid, but frankly chosing that moniker and icon doesn't help.

Naamloos-2_bewerkt-1.png

Too tanned by the glorious PC graphics to be white supremacist at least :p

Corpekata

Banned
All I'm saying is, I want to see the PS4 Pro's long form construction certificate. How do we even know it's a console? People are saying, maybe it's really a PC. 4k, 60 FPS, that to me, sounds like a product that maybe didn't grow up a console.

Bolivar687

Banned
What's crazy is the subreddit has become something of a kingmaker, a place where a lot of developers and manufacturers go to pitch their products and spread word of mouth in the community. But what you guys also might not know is how much PC gamers like to place ourselves over even eachother. You've got your 4K Master Race and 144Hz Master Race. But you also got your Opera Browser Master Race and, for the luckiest among us, the glorious radiance of the Display Port Master Race.

The reality is, the average PC player is running free to play titles off the integrated graphics chip on their laptop's CPU. The PC community is largely built on international regions where the consoles haven't reached into the market. So PC is actually a much more inclusive space than the homogenized western console audience. Of course, you do have the hardware fanboys who soldier just as hard as any console warrior. They're actually worse, considering console gamers don't know much about Tech, whereas PC gamers should know better and spread misinformation anyway.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Of course not. Just a shame we're labelled as racists for preferring a PC.

They're benefits to both, I personally prefer a PC for the freedom it provides me, others prefer consoles.

I don't disagree that there's a loud segment of PC gamers who can be really obnoxious - and I may or may not have been among their ranks when I was younger - but jesus, maybe take a moment to think before you use your word hole to compare something to racism.

tuxfool

Banned
Im not saying he is totally right but the slogan PC Master Race exists after all and for a part of the the community console players are peasants.

Not all but some like everything that can have fanboys.

Even taking those statements at face value, peasants still aren't a different race. They're a different class.

PantsuJo

To all console players right here (except the Nintendo dudes):

Do you know that you are currently playing on x86_64 based PCs, right?

Actually, old&slow PCs, despite the new Pro and Scorpio, with no future over 2 years from now.

So all of you are already playing on PC.

My question is: are all of you retards?

:)

The irony of this statement and some of the posters in this thread trying to stir the pot is this: It's only because of the higher standards of the moderation team here that some of the really hardcore console companymen on this forum stay within their bounds.

We've seen examples of posters who appear amicable here but really cut loose on other forums/social media outlets. So to paint PC gamers as hivemind of horrid pretension and act as if the same passions and prejudices don't apply to the console fanbase is laughable at best.

I guess the master race joke went too far

That joke died a long time ago. It was enjoyable satire for a while, then a bunch of easily-influenced people came on there and took that shit seriously. It's not everyone, they're not racists(obnoxious at times, yes), but it hasn't been a joke for some time.

LCGeek

formerly sane

That has nothing to do with his garbage points. There are plenty of reasons why a pc gamer is going to pass up on PS4pro. Don't even need to start on specs but outside of handful of games I don't need another playstation with marginal upgrades and not only that there is no driveclub pro from what I can tell which is basically the only game that I would really want to see upgraded.

Pachter as usual went hamfisted when a more delicate balance could've been used.

Gaming is too PC these days IMO, these so-called "PC police" are always stinking up threads talking about how Halo and Journey and Metroid aren't PC enough and that they're marginalizing the rich culture of personal-computational ethnic groups without ever actually confronting their own PC privilege and the underlying notions of desktop supremacy in PC America. I'd go into it more but GAF is just way too PC these days so I'd probably be banned for having an opinion.

Murkas

You know what? Now that I think about it, I've always had racial slurs thrown at me when playing online games on PC. Voice and text, L4D, CS, Starcraft to name a few games.

Coincidence? I think not!

Gaming is too PC these days IMO, these so-called "PC police" are always stinking up threads talking about how Halo and Journey and Metroid aren't PC enough and that they're marginalizing the rich culture of personal-computational ethnic groups without ever actually confronting their own PC privilege and the underlying notions of desktop supremacy in PC America. I'd go into it more but GAF is just way too PC these days so I'd probably be banned for having an opinion.

Fucking PC gamers ruining gaming

remember when games used to be like just games dude? And then they all went PC and now it's like I can't even play a fucking game that's not PC

Palmer_v1

Yeah, the PC Master Race jokes were funny for a bit, but once people actually took it seriously, it was time to drop it.

I personally don't know any PC gamers who don't also own a console.

LCGeek

formerly sane
There are some people who are REALLY like that. Can't stop themselves from pointing out how shitty consoles are and how superior PC gaming is every chance they get. And yeah, those guys are annoying. Occasionally a bit offensive, even.

I could go on about the hyprocritical port begging for bayonetta 2 to show hyporcrtical some console gamers are to themselves not just on specs but on platform exclusives. The whining was super annoying when it started and still is to this day when I see it happen.

Yeah, the PC Master Race jokes were funny for a bit, but once people actually took it seriously, it was time to drop it.

I personally don't know any PC gamers who don't also own a console.

Yeah, that's the stupidest part of Pachter's statement to me. Like, holy fuck, has this dude ever actually met a PC gamer?

Somehow I think it's far more likely that a dedicated PC gamer picks up a console, than it is that a dedicated (Xbox or PS4 player) is going to go pick up the competitor console, much less a PC.

I like PC game for the same reason I like being white, it lets me do what I want, when I want, wherever I want, however I want, with absolute freedom and noone holding me back, it's the best.

But I'm not white. :(

This was a pretty ignorant statement to make.

Like the OP, I play primarily on PC, but also game on all of the consoles to some degree.

Generalizing people is generally not a good thing to do.

RibMan

No.

Racism is hatred. A passion for good performance will naturally lead to less tolerance for bad performance. Being less tolerant about something =/= hatred for that thing. For example, athletes are less tolerant of foods and treats that are high in calories. Does that mean that athletes hate McDonald's, chocolate, and pizza? Nope.

ViolentP

Of course not. Just a shame we're labelled as racists for preferring a PC.

They're benefits to both, I personally prefer a PC for the freedom it provides me, others prefer consoles.

We're not racists. Just some person speaking irresponsibly. What we shouldn't do is take any of it seriously.

ViolentP

That has nothing to do with his garbage points. There are plenty of reasons why a pc gamer is going to pass up on PS4pro. Don't even need to start on specs but outside of handful of games I don't need another playstation with marginal upgrades and not only that there is no driveclub pro from what I can tell which is basically the only game that I would really want to see upgraded.

Pachter as usual went hamfisted when a more delicate balance could've been used.

I don't disagree. I replied directly to the individual claiming there is no good reason to play outside a PC. I disagree even if PC is my platform of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom