• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyxos

Gold Member
You can close this off and return it to the MS ABK thread. It was done for a reason.

Also the EC recognised the cloud market as distinct to the console market so if anything, the decision helped the CMA's position.

If you want to talk more head to the Acquisition thread
Not everyone visits the other thread with 10 million pages daily. So at least we know what happens.

Last edited:

Edmund

Some how, I’m starting to believe this may go thru. I assume once cma block it. It was done. But once reading the eu thing. Idk. Feel like it putting pressure on the cma. But like, isn’t cma say is final. Can the uk gov force the chain or another agency that watch and make sure maybe cma not be crazy or whatever? Idk how all this work. Idk, I guess if the ftc agree to pass it. I assume it some joe gonna get pass. If cma the only one trying to block. Idk

It will go through when Brad Smith threatens to release Sarah Cardell's naked pics to the public.

They were trying to block the deal any means necessary just for political reasons.

They know their case is weak and full of flaws. Also, one huge thing everyone is forgetting about is CMA dismissing / ignoring any remedies MS presents. That is unlawful.
They didn’t feel the remedies addressed their concerns. They weren’t ignored - just judged to be insufficient.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Are you threadbanned?
Not that I know of. It's just hard to keep up when there are so many pages and you don't read every day. I've noticed a few times that there were important developments in this deal and I didn't notice anything even though I'm on Neogaf every day.

They didn’t feel the remedies addressed their concerns. They weren’t ignored - just judged to be insufficient.
Nope, look at the appeal. They flat out dismiss any remedies and didn’t try to come up with any reasonable agreements. It was their way or the high way attitude.

You have to actually tell them why their remedies wasn’t enough and use factual data to back up their claims. Which they didn’t because they literally didn’t have any factual data.

MS offer Activision games on other cloud services for 10 years. CAT already told CMA they shouldn’t assume or look at anything after 5 years.

10 years is long enough and the cloud companies are literally for the deal that CMA is supposedly protecting lol.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Not that I know of. It's just hard to keep up when there are so many pages and you don't read every day. I've noticed a few times that there were important developments in this deal and I didn't notice anything even though I'm on Neogaf every day.
We usually do stuff like these there.

keyboard-cat.gif

Edmund

You can close this off and return it to the MS ABK thread. It was done for a reason.

Also the EC recognised the cloud market as distinct to the console market so if anything, the decision helped the CMA's position.

If you want to talk more head to the Acquisition thread

They can't post this in the ABK thread. It'll get shut down by people who make sense and they won't get their dose of hopium.

Robb

Gold Member
That’s cool I guess but does it move the needle? I’ve kind of zoned out on this after the CMA news. Is it still dead in the water?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Why are we listening to some Rookies from the EU. Neogaf experts like Topher Topher and @DeepEnigma knows the fundamental aspects of the law.

That's funny considering the CMA are equally "experts" in all this and yet I've never said that in itself makes them right.

Appeal_to_Authority.jpg

I'm no expert on the law and never claimed to be. That doesn't matter. I can read and I can come to my own conclusions. You really should try it and stop letting others do your thinking for you.

Last edited:

kyussman

The EU think everything we do in the UK is wrong......if we told you it was sunny outside the EU would tell you it's raining.

Fuck Activision. It's not just them. Think about what happens if Microsoft are allowed to have them. It literally opens the gates for them to acquire anybody they want unopposed. Fuck that! Block it now and you shut them off before they can get their greedy hands and ruin any more studios. Letting 3rd party publishers stay free is pro consumer and pro competition. Xbox fanboys are stupid. They support it now but will cry if sony bought capcom or kadokawa and ended up owning fromsoftware. How about neither happens and everyone continues getting access to those games?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
"I am told Call of Duty is a very popular shooter franchise," Vestager continued. "But we found that Microsoft would probably not shoot itself in the foot by stopping sales of Call of Duty games to the much larger PlayStation player base. Our colleagues at the CMA agreed with us and ultimately reached the same conclusion."
Lil Yachty Drake GIF by hamlet

What an astute conclusion by regulators.

drganon

Fuck Activision. It's not just them. Think about what happens if Microsoft are allowed to have them. It literally opens the gates for them to acquire anybody they want unopposed. Fuck that! Block it now and you shut them off before they can get their greedy hands and ruin any more studios. Letting 3rd party publishers stay free is pro consumer and pro competition. Xbox fanboys are stupid. They support it now but will cry if sony bought capcom. How about neither happens and everyone continues getting access to those games?
breaking-bad-walter-white.gif

Topher

Gold Member
Nope, look at the appeal. They flat out dismiss any remedies and didn’t try to come up with any reasonable agreements. It was their way or the high way attitude.

You have to actually tell them why their remedies wasn’t enough and use factual data to back up their claims. Which they didn’t because they literally didn’t have any factual data.

MS offer Activision games on other cloud services for 10 years. CAT already told CMA they shouldn’t assume or look at anything after 5 years.

10 years is long enough and the cloud companies are literally for the deal that CMA is supposedly protecting lol.

The CMA did explain why they did not believe the behavioral remedies wouldn't solve the problem. You didn't read the report.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
That's funny considering the CMA are equally "experts" in all this and yet I've never said that in itself makes them right.

Appeal_to_Authority.jpg

I'm no expert on the law and never claimed to be. That doesn't matter. I can read and I can come to my own conclusions. You really should try it and stop letting others do your thinking for you.
I'm waiting on Florian to update me. He is currently been made Tom Warren's bitch this week so I don't know what to think.

What consequences are you expecting?
Depends on what happens. There can be consequences for the cma itself or for uk gamers. There can also be less investments and jobs in the future. Its not only ms that will think twice before investing in the uk anymore.
Yeh yeh i kniw some people gonna say that they just invested on the uk. That doesnt mean shit except that they re showing goodwill to the uk government.

Topher

Gold Member
Nope, they didn’t explain anything with facts. They just dismissed it and gave a vague response.

The EC didn't give facts either. The EC and the CMA are both trying to predict the future. As Vestager said this is "by nature a forward-looking exercise".

Edit: Actually, the CMA did provide facts. They cited the fact that these licenses still put Microsoft front and center in the cloud market as all these providers must go through Microsoft to be relevant. They don't say this, but seems clear to me that they think these deals strengthen Microsoft's hold on the industry and is anti-competitive.

I don't know what facts the EC provided as there is no public report on their findings.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Vestager is correct as usual. She s not biased against big tech but looks at the facts. CMA are a bunch of incompetent retards that try to make a name for themselves. This idiotic grandstanding can and will have consequences.
Or, the UK and the EU are different markets and are differently impacted by the deal…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom