• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

demigod

Company moved to a new building.
There is no mismanagement there, especially with them waiting for UE5.

Gaming market isn't quick, unless you have the resources and 3rd party devs who are ready to assist you.

They moved to a new HQ.
You should know how that affects their work.
They were working from home. Stop acting like them moving back into the office affected their work for the worse or months to move back in.

Isn’t it funny how covid only affects ms and not any sony studios?

reksveks

A yearly fee for all MS profit ? Of for what they made from that specific deal.

If it's the former then of course not.
10% of annual turnover but actually looking at the fact sheet, I am wondering another question re the actual cap is on an annual basis or for the whole antitrust infringement. It makes sense if it's annual but cant see if that's the case. I would be happy if anyone has a source although it doesn't make a difference. MS ain't paying an extra 20bn for this deal.

9nETRfm.jpg

Orbital2060

ToTTenTranz

Banned
So who do yall think should buy ATVI? Who should they turn to. Its not going to be Tencent seeing how Kotick has shut down all business in China.
Why must ATVI be sold to anyone? They're a perfectly healthy company making over $2B a year in profits.
If they really needed money they could easily sell a division or one of the IPs they refuse to develop new games on.

The only reason their board of directors need to sell the company is for each of them to get a massive golden parachute to bail with, after their ESG rating got dragged through the mud with the sex harassment lawsuits and accusations.
If they fail to sell the company, Kotick and his friends simply need to leave it as millionaires instead of billionaires.

On ATVI's side, this acquisition is only happening to save Kotick's sex-harassment-enabler's ass.

My point is, Ninja theory moved to a new HQ, which affected their work on early stages.
They also waiting for UE5 to continue their development.
So you think all software developers in Cambridge suddenly dropped their computers and went to the construction site to lay bricks for a year? And that's fine because otherwise they'd be dwindling their thumbs waiting for the Epic engineers to finish UE5?
Dude just stop...

feynoob

Gold Member

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
No one needs to.

They earn more than $8 billion in revenue and more than $2 billion in profit annually. They'd be perfectly fine independent.

Perhaps a new owner such as MS who are trying to create as much content for GP would get more out of under-utilised IP than ActiBlizz do currently, as you said they’re doing just fine with what they have at the moment m.

Last edited:
The only reason their board of directors need to sell the company is for each of them to get a massive golden parachute to bail with, after their ESG rating got dragged through the mud with the sex harassment lawsuits and accusations.
If they fail to sell the company, Kotick and his friends simply need to leave it as millionaires instead of billionaires.

I'm glad you tied this back to ESG ratings because that's the crux of the reason why ABK are selling. They pretty much destroyed their rating due to the harassment allegations and workplace culture being exposed, and that impacts their ability to get investors in the future, or look like a safe company to provide loans to if you're a bank, etc.

Never mind that ESG ratings themselves are pretty controversial (IMO). Fact is they exist and ABK having its issues pop up tanked theirs for the foreseeable future. It's like having a bad credit score; if it's REALLY bad then the only way out is probably filing for bankruptcy.

Selling to MS is basically ABK filing for bankruptcy. As ridiculous as that sounds. Because this has nothing to do with their actual market performance (which is very strong in terms of revenue and profit).

PuffyCan

They were working from home. Stop acting like them moving back into the office affected their work for the worse or months to move back in.

Isn’t it funny how covid only affects ms and not any sony studios?
Isn’t it funny how GT7, God of War: Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West were also delayed because of covid, it's like Microsoft is held to a different standard than Sony. Both were affected by Covid... or do you think Sony also mismanaged their studios because of those delays?

demigod

Isn’t it funny how GT7, God of War: Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West were also delayed because of covid, it's like Microsoft is held to a different standard than Sony. Both were affected by Covid... or do you think Sony also mismanaged their studios because of those delays?
GT7 was always going to be delayed, it’s polyphony you’re talking about. HFW wasn’t affected as much, i’ll give you GoW tho.

So what AAA game has ms released since covid?

Necessary how? Microsoft have enough underutilized IP under their belt as is.

Off the top of my head of underutilized IP:

-Conker
-Banjo
-Perfect Dark
-Jet Force Gemini (Maybe they could've worked with Platinum on a sequel to this instead of Scalebound, considering similarities with Vanquish)
-Battletoads (a real one, not that Nick Jr. CalArts Flash abomination they came out with)
-Phantom Dust (cancelled the reboot)
-Crackdown (could've been their own 1P GTA, instead they killed the franchise. Sony stopped The Getaway but that had a WAY stronger finish than Crackdown)
-Crimson Skies (why no Crimson Skies content for Flight Simulator? Maybe a mission campaign mode like the Crimson Skies series?)

Yeah Sony have some underutilized IP too IMO. Socom, Resistance, Killzone, Syphon Filter (I don't personally care for those four but I see their potential). Parappa/UmJammer, Motorstorm, PS All-Stars, etc. But Sony do have legacy IP they've stuck with and have made massively successful, like GOW, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, plus new franchises they've established successfully like Insomniac Spiderman, Ghosts of Tsushima, Death Stranding (with KojiPro), Returnal etc.

Most importantly all of that is current stuff. MS don't have that balance of healthy legacy IP and new big IP over the past 5 - 10 years like Sony or Nintendo. And I mean "big" as in games that obviously do major things for the brand. Sea of Thieves might have reached 20 million players but no one's rushing out to buy Xboxes or sub to Game Pass to play Sea of Thieves.

gothmog

Gold Member
My point is, Ninja theory moved to a new HQ, which affected their work on early stages.
They were also waiting for UE5 to continue their development.

Its not mismanagement as some people makes out to be.
Who decides to move everyone into a new HQ and to wait for a new engine to continue development? Starts with man. Ends in ment.

feynoob

Gold Member
Who decides to move everyone into a new HQ and to wait for a new engine to continue development? Starts with man. Ends in ment.
Do people think companies start gaming production immediatly?
What happened to the step by step production? Do these things not exist?

gothmog

Gold Member
Do people think companies start gaming production immediatly?
What happened to the step by step production? Do these things not exist?
If you make games, you should maybe focus on making games? I have personally worked at companies that stopped focusing on their core businesses to focus on things like new buildings, large acquisitions, and such. I would qualify such focuses as mismanagement.

feynoob

Gold Member
If you make games, you should maybe focus on making games? I have personally worked at companies that stopped focusing on their core businesses to focus on things like new buildings, large acquisitions, and such. I would qualify such focuses as mismanagement.
Here is the thing.
Making games need time and discusion on what type of game the company is going to make. Early stage is all about the project, the art and that type of shit.
Its not a quick fire. Things take time. Not everything has to be a bad management.

People are so obessed with these management issues, that it clouds their judgement.

If you follow Ninja theory story, they usually give you follow up with their process. Especially the mocap with their actress.

Here is their youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/@officialninjatheory/videos

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Necessary how? Microsoft have enough underutilized IP under their belt as is.

We’ll undeniably the instant boost of IP like COD, etc. helps short term but they may want the other IP to use in future as it’s easier to use existing IP than develop new ones. And some of those IPS they’ll be picking up would probably have a lot more interest than those they currently have and aren’t utilising.

Schmick

Anyone claiming that Microsoft isn't bad a studio management needs to be put out to pasture.
I actually think SoT, FS2020, Grounded, FH5 have been well managed. The amount support these games get from the developers is second to none. Updates are frequent and the interaction with the communities has been fantastic.

Halo on the other hand not so good. Disappointing even.

But 4 out of 5 games is pretty good.

Last edited:

NonPhixion

Ninja Theory isn’t poorly managed. Putting time and resources into Bleeding Edge is not what a mismanaged company does.

Last edited:

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Off the top of my head of underutilized IP:

-Conker
-Banjo
-Perfect Dark
-Jet Force Gemini (Maybe they could've worked with Platinum on a sequel to this instead of Scalebound, considering similarities with Vanquish)
-Battletoads (a real one, not that Nick Jr. CalArts Flash abomination they came out with)
-Phantom Dust (cancelled the reboot)
-Crackdown (could've been their own 1P GTA, instead they killed the franchise. Sony stopped The Getaway but that had a WAY stronger finish than Crackdown)
-Crimson Skies (why no Crimson Skies content for Flight Simulator? Maybe a mission campaign mode like the Crimson Skies series?)

Yeah Sony have some underutilized IP too IMO. Socom, Resistance, Killzone, Syphon Filter (I don't personally care for those four but I see their potential). Parappa/UmJammer, Motorstorm, PS All-Stars, etc. But Sony do have legacy IP they've stuck with and have made massively successful, like GOW, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, plus new franchises they've established successfully like Insomniac Spiderman, Ghosts of Tsushima, Death Stranding (with KojiPro), Returnal etc.

Most importantly all of that is current stuff. MS don't have that balance of healthy legacy IP and new big IP over the past 5 - 10 years like Sony or Nintendo. And I mean "big" as in games that obviously do major things for the brand. Sea of Thieves might have reached 20 million players but no one's rushing out to buy Xboxes or sub to Game Pass to play Sea of Thieves.

Compare those titles to the likes of Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo and you would definitely have more interest in the latter.

We’ll undeniably the instant boost of IP like COD, etc. helps short term but they may want the other IP to use in future as it’s easier to use existing IP than develop new ones. And some of those IPS they’ll be picking up would probably have a lot more interest than those they currently have and aren’t utilising.

Most of Activision IPs are underutilized for a reason. Microsoft isn't going to change that when they don't even bother with their own legacy. That's just a pipedream

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
I actually think SoT, FS2020, Grounded, FH5 have been well managed. The amount support these games get from the developers is second to none. Updates are frequent and the interaction with the communities has been fantastic.

Halo on the other hand not so good. Disappointing even.

But 4 out of 5 games is pretty good.
People like to get outrage over stuff, that is out of controll sometimes.
Any production issues is immediatly called bad management.
Its like people here think they know what is happpening in the production floor.

People like to get outrage over stuff, that is out of controll sometimes.
Any production issues is immediatly called bad management.
Its like people here think they know what is happpening in the production floor.
when is systematic and we have years of evidence.....i mean.....the results speak for themselves.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Most of Activision IPs are underutilized for a reason. Microsoft isn't going to change that when they don't even bother with their own legacy. That's just a pipedream

And MS’s aren’t? Sure we can just default ‘well MS would just fuck it up anyway’ but I was just putting forward possible benefit of them acquiring the IP.

feynoob

Gold Member
when is systematic and we have years of evidence.....i mean.....the results speak for themselves.
Every company goes through bad period. I am not ignoring that part of xbox.
MS is shit and dont know how to handle their companies. I am not gonna pretend they are not. I still bash them for their stupidity.

But that doesnt mean people can use the same shit on other department. MS other department are still in good shape, and keep bumping out those games.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Here is the thing.
Making games need time and discusion on what type of game the company is going to make. Early stage is all about the project, the art and that type of shit.
Its not a quick fire. Things take time. Not everything has to be a bad management.

People are so obessed with these management issues, that it clouds their judgement.

If you follow Ninja theory story, they usually give you follow up with their process. Especially the mocap with their actress.

Here is their youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/@officialninjatheory/videos

Not sure what this has to do with you saying that moving HQs and waiting for an engine were excuses why the game isn't ready? Both of those things can be managed and if you're saying those are why then their management is not doing a good job. Hence mismanagement.

I worked for years developing, doing technical management, and then doing actual management for software teams. There are constant distractions and reasons teams lose their way. Management's job should be mostly around keeping the finger on the pulse of the teams, focus them when they lose focus, and to minimize distractions that lead to loss of focus. Most managers fail miserably at this because they're stuck in meetings all day focusing on things that really don't matter.

Every company goes through bad period. I am not ignoring that part of xbox.
MS is shit and dont know how to handle their companies. I am not gonna pretend they are not. I still bash them for their stupidity.

But that doesnt mean people can use the same shit on other department. MS other department are still in good shape, and keep bumping out those games.
Well, this is the thing.....Skepticism.

MS has earn it slow and steady over the years....Since the second half of the 360 era.

Now is on them to prove otherwise. there is no "benefit of the doubt" (only for fanboys).

So....until they show the receipts with consistency...This conversation is like entertaining someone who belives the earth is flat.

feynoob

Gold Member
Not sure what this has to do with you saying that moving HQs and waiting for an engine were excuses why the game isn't ready? Both of those things can be managed and if you're saying those are why then their management is not doing a good job. Hence mismanagement.

I worked for years developing, doing technical management, and then doing actual management for software teams. There are constant distractions and reasons teams lose their way. Management's job should be mostly around keeping the finger on the pulse of the teams, focus them when they lose focus, and to minimize distractions that lead to loss of focus. Most managers fail miserably at this because they're stuck in meetings all day focusing on things that really don't matter.
Which the game doesnt have. If it did, we would have heard that by now.

People are making their assumptions, without actually knowning what the company is doing.

Do you think this news would escape this guys nose?
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

feynoob

Gold Member
Well, this is the thing.....Skepticism.

MS has earn it slow and steady over the years....Since the second half of the 360 era.

Now is on them to prove otherwise. there is no "benefit of the doubt" (only for fanboys).

So....until they show the receipts with consistency...This conversation is like entertaining someone who belives the earth is flat.
It would be hard for a company like MS.
You are asking someone with insane money, if they give a crap about their ouput.

Couple of money flash, and they can hide their issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom