• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Microsoft and Square are very happy with Rise and the dev team" says Brian Horton

Hanmik

JmlMWC3.png

What makes this guy wrong? Because he posts something that some of you don't agree with?

nope..

- 30% lower sales than TR Reboot. ehhh.. where is the data for that? he is just throwing a number out there.
- he says Digital sales for games like TR2 is something like 50%.. again, no numbers or data to support his claims.

just some stuff about that convo..

JmlMWC3.png

What makes this guy wrong? Because he posts something that some of you don't agree with?

Because he was basing his comments on the assumption that RotTR sold 30% less than TR2013, which would put it at ~2.4 million copies sold in the first month, and we all know that is complete and utter horseshit. I think it might hit a third of that.

I bought it and it is a fantastic game. I think the sad truth is that being exclusive will hurt the game sales in general. I would have bought it on PS4 if I was given the choice at launch but ultimately feel like MS and CD needed the support and who knows what other games will be out in a year on PS4 fighting for my money had I waited.

grimmiq

JmlMWC3.png

His comment about Rise making 30% less sales is rediculous. TR2013 sold 1 million copies in 48hours, 3.4 over 4 weeks on 3 platforms. If we take the estimated sales numbers for Rise as accurate, it sold 300k on 2 platforms in the first week.

samn

JmlMWC3.png

What makes him wrong is that his sales numbers have no basis in any source we've seen and a game that doesn't sell hardly helps MS achieve 'critical mass' (spin if I ever heard it)

evilr

Banned
Because they got paid for it by MS. We don't know what they paid or what the internal thinking from CD/SE was, MS said they were investing in the game, perhaps they felt the MS money would help them make a better game, they'll go again multiplatform for TR3 and I'm sure it'll sell as you'd expect

Yes MS paid. But I'm confident the plan wasn't for the game to bomb worldwide in return. I've said this before and I'll say it again: Someone needs to lose their job over this, it cannot be swept under the carpet.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Camilla Luddington is pretty good. Some of the pronounciation may not be perfect as British speakers would point out. She's spent a long time transatlantic, granted. However, she is cool and sauve enough, sounds intelligent like an archaeology major should, and she knows how to moan perfectly. That last part may sound lewd but it's not. An action hero who is peppered with abuse needs to make some kind of exclamation, and this is now her trademark. One of Nathan Drake's is mocking the people he kills which has also been criticized.

Remember S-E was complaining very loudly that TR fell far below their expectations and didn't recoup costs when it was console only. It was only after PC and quite a long time after that that they finally said it finally made a profit and/or met/exceeded expectations.

As for 2013's numbers I don't believe I stated the PS3 sold more, only that the franchise built it's console fanbase on Playstation first by being on PS1. Undoubtedly it sold better on 360 in NPD since the 360 murdered the PS3 in the US. I don't know what the worldwide numbers are though.

You're remembering wrong. It launched day and date on 360, PS3, and PC. What happened is that it had amazing legs, my guess is due to that critical acclaim and fantastic word of mouth. The Definitive Editions on PS4 and Xbox One kept the money flowing beyond the initial platforms. There was even an OS X port.

If Tomb Raider 2013 had been front loaded there could have been an issue, but it wasn't.

I will buy Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 because I loved the reboot, but I understand that it will probably sell less.

Camilla Luddington is pretty good. Some of the pronounciation may not be perfect as British speakers would point out. She's spent a long time transatlantic, granted. However, she is cool and sauve enough, sounds intelligent like an archaeology major should, and she knows how to moan perfectly. That last part may sound lewd but it's not...

Am I the only one who thinks she is a horrible VA? Her moans are unnatural, forced, and she does it constantly. I think she tries too hard to sound vulnerable while also sounding "accidently sexy". I find her performance cringe-worthy.

No disrespect towards your opinion of, course, Camilla is nominated for best VA after all, I was just wondering if anyone else shared my opinion.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Camilla's not bad, but keeley hawes was FAR superior.

Edit: I guess IS since she's still in the downloadable games.

Am I the only one who thinks she is a horrible VA? Her moans are unnatural, forced, and she does it constantly. I think she tries too hard to sound vulnerable while also sounding "accidently sexy". I find her performance cringe-worthy.

No disrespect towards your opinion of, course, Camilla is nominated for best VA after all, I was just wondering if anyone else shared my opinion.

You're not the only one.

Apathy

JmlMWC3.png

Smh. No, because you can't just pull numbers out of your ass and use them to try to prop up weak arguments. Also the 50% digital argument. It didn't work when halo fanboys used it, it won't work here.

tuxfool

Banned

There are a lot of people that share your opinion. Honestly I don't think it is too difficult to find a good Lara Croft Voice, there have been plenty (that were fine) already. Apart from the terrible plot in the first game, I think the VO is the worst Failing of NuCroft.

The "up there, some where" sounded off but as the game goes on it kind of fits imo ofcourse

Fehyd

Banned
FYI, her moans and forced grunts etc. that many find questionable?

If performance capture is the same as the first game, she's actually jumping over things and rolling around while they do the sound capture. Ie. It's not being sexualized because that's what she sounds like when she's straining.

DryvBy

FYI, her moans and forced grunts etc. that many find questionable?

If performance capture is the same as the first game, she's actually jumping over things and rolling around while they do the sound capture. Ie. It's not being sexualized because that's what she sounds like when she's straining.

Sounds sexy...

Alienous

Camilla's performance is awful. She has a fake affectation throughout. I've said it before but she sounds like she's presenting a British children's television show. There's too much effort put into enunciating every syllable as 'Englishly' as possible.

Chobel

I can't link the article,but DualShocker had a chat with Greenberg about Rise of The Tomb Raider. Some quotes:
At the same time, you’re right. It launched in a very crowded window, but it’s done well.
We expect it will be a title that will continue to sell through the Holidays,...
but so far we’ve been really pleased with Tomb Raider, and I know even over Black Friday it did very well, we’ve heard some very nice feedback from some of our top retailers. So we’ll continue to watch how it performs, but the game has definitely been delivering for us.

He could be telling the truth, but personally I don't believe it, I'm calling bullshit on every single one of these quotes.

He's simply not going to say it's doing bad or merely ok. It's saving face to say it's "doing well". It was a pointless interview question. And to most people as sales are hidden or not commonly known it's gives the impression the deal was well worth it. It bombed in Europe and it's not looking good in the US. This NPD the wolves will be out and it'll be one of the top requested games for Cream to provide sales for. Its not going to be pretty.

Top Bottom