• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces ReCore also coming to PC, now releasing "2016"

AP90

Nice line up in games for me =D.

So is it safe to say that even though MS are releasing on PC aka through windows 10 store, that these can still be said to be exclusive-ish?

Either way people will be buying into one of the ecosystems. Wonder if cross play between the console and Win10 pc will be available, time will tell near release.

jmga

I think they already realized with their previous attempt that fees on PC won't work ; I don't think they ever mentioned fees for Windows10 PC, did they ? On the contrary I remember they specifically mentioned online features were free on PC, and behind a paywall on console.

The problem with online fees on PC is that you are removing PC gamers de right of hosting their own servers(which historically has been always there) at the same time you are charging them with the excuse of "hosting costs money".

It's a joke.

Elios83

Spring 2016 without even a few seconds of gameplay showcased wasn't happening for ReCore.

Most interesting thing in this lineup is the fact that they seem serious with their Windows 10 support, I wonder if they are starting to see the Xbox as some kind of Steam Box in a wider ecosystem.

M3d10n

Xbox App is not needed to play Windows Store games.

It's not the app, it's using the Xbox Live SDK itself. You need to register to ID@Xbox to access it, so I don't know if it can be used by desktop apps or not, but I doubt it since games need that use it must go through an approval process just like Xbox games (to keep people from writing gamerscore farming apps, probably)..

Nzyme32

The only thing that interests me about recore was the simple words "by the creators of Metroid Prime" or something close. The trailer itself demonstrated nothing, but I hope the game can be good. If it is good and the MS store can demonstrate reliability and support over several years, I'll probably pick this up at that point along with other games that come out.

jelly

Nice, thought it was likely 2017 with so little information.

I'm intrigued but need to see what it's all about.

Surprised they are dipping quite a few toes with Windows 10 but good to see they are taking it seriously.

Alx

It's not the app, it's using the Xbox Live SDK itself. You need to register to ID@Xbox to access it, so I don't know if it can be used by desktop apps or not, but I doubt it since games need that use it must go through an approval process just like Xbox games (to keep people from writing gamerscore farming apps, probably)..

That's only true for apps/games with Xbox Live features though (like gamerscore etc). You can develop games and software for the Windows10 store without registering to ID@Xbox, if you don't use those.

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/games
The ID@Xbox program helps qualified game developers self-publish on Windows and Xbox One. If you want to develop for Xbox One or add the power and excitement of Xbox Live—Gamerscore, cross-device multiplayer, achievements, leaderboards, and more—to your Windows 10 game, sign up now with ID@Xbox. Become an ID@Xbox developer to get the tools and support you need to unleash your creativity and maximize your success.

Glad to see that ReCore is coming to PC, but you are fucking insane if you think that game is releasing in 2016 (on any platform).

I am liking the Windows 10 support. Eventually Xbox one and Windows 10 will be one in the same. I think MS will still make a console however. Similar to the Surface line, they help set the standard of what a Windows 10 device can do and how it performs ect. I can see a future where MS is going to allow Dell/Alienware, HP, Origin PC, Asus to create an Xbox type of device for the living room. This may not happen till 2020. I can see any xbox 360 games that will be back compat with xbox one to be available on the platform, and any and all xbox one games will as well. My question is when will they drop online multiplayer in xbox live gold? I think there were some small rumors earlier in 2015 about that.

I really hope those games are cross buy. I have both a nice gaming rig and an xbox one right next to each other so playing at my desk when i feel like it, or my tv will be nice.

Kezen

Banned
The thread on the Xbone subreddit is hilarious. Love reading that stuff, my monthly dose of schadenfreude.
I don't understand how some can take gaming so seriously.

The issue is they're a 50 person studio also handling Dead Star and the Bloodstained ports: https://www.linkedin.com/company/armature-studio

The game is also made in Unity, which generally isn't used for AAA titles.

The $60 retail situation doesn't really seem likely unless they have a zillion contractors.
Isn't Comcept also involved? And we already know MS has employees working on a lot of "meat" in the game, such as Joe Staten.

FyreWulff

The big, non-FTP, multiplayer games like Halo and Forza aren't going to come over to PC until MS is able to sort out Xbox Live Gold. They won't charge for multiplayer on PC again but offering the same experience as console but without the gold requirement is risky for those titles. There is no guarantee Xbox users will start migrating in droves to a PC for free multiplayer but that's a pretty big incentive (especially if you can still play with your friends on console) and, if Gold members start dropping off, you will never get all of them back if you try to reverse course.

Gears:UE is a step in that direction for Microsoft but it's going to be a while before we see Halo, let alone one day-and-date, release on PC again.

Every first party MS game has F2P style microtransactions. I think that's their plan to have "free Gold" on PC.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
CTRL+F "Phantom Dust"

0 results found.

Damn it, Microsoft. >:| Well, at least ReCore is a silver lining in that line-up. Though Gears and Killer Instinct should've been out months ago for launch.

etta

my hard graphic balls

What's this gotta do with consumers buying Microsoft games like ReCore from the Windows Store?

Banned
CTRL+F "Phantom Dust"

0 results found.

Damn it, Microsoft. >:| Well, at least ReCore is a silver lining in that line-up. Though Gears and Killer Instinct should've been out months ago for launch.
Phantom Dust. What an appropriate name.

The big, non-FTP, multiplayer games like Halo and Forza aren't going to come over to PC until MS is able to sort out Xbox Live Gold. They won't charge for multiplayer on PC again but offering the same experience as console but without the gold requirement is risky for those titles. There is no guarantee Xbox users will start migrating in droves to a PC for free multiplayer but that's a pretty big incentive (especially if you can still play with your friends on console) and, if Gold members start dropping off, you will never get all of them back if you try to reverse course.

Gears:UE is a step in that direction for Microsoft but it's going to be a while before we see Halo, let alone one day-and-date, release on PC again.

I can't see people migrating "in droves" to PC over some free multiplayer. Most console users will stay on console and don't want to deal with gaming on PC. I mean if that were the case, it would have happened already because of Steam, Origin, etc. Most AAA games that console players play have been on PC for years and nothing has really changed. Why would it suddenly change because a few Microsoft games are on PC?

Zedox

I just noticed that we soon won't have port beggers from the Xbox side of the fence if MS continues this trend. (Well, we'll always have Steam-beggers but that's another story). I'm happy this is happening. Can't wait to see how it plays, looks. E3 baby.

I can't see people migrating "in droves" to PC over some free multiplayer. Most console users will stay on console and don't want to deal with gaming on PC. I mean if that were the case, it would have happened already because of Steam, Origin, etc. Most AAA games that console players play have been on PC for years and nothing has really changed. Why would it suddenly change because a few Microsoft games are on PC?

But if you have access to your same games, friends list, achievements and all that but with the added benefit of no cost for live it can be an appealing offer. At least one that you have to figure Microsoft is very aware of.

Like I said there is no guarantee Xbox users will start migrating in droves to PC but when you are dealing with a, assumedly big source of revenue for Xbox, you don't want to take a big jump like launching big multiplayer games like Halo 5 day-and-date on PC and end up in a situation where you have lost a good number of your subscribers.

Bring everything to PC. Please show cross buy support as well. If I can buy the game on xbox one and own it on windows 10 as well, that's just pretty darn cool!

Durante

Windows 10 store, I feel like I'm having deja vu with another Microsoft service iniative...on the tip of my tongue.
I assume ReCore is single player.

I wouldn't buy a game I wanted to play in multiplayer which was bound to any service MS provides.

Zedox

But if you have access to your same games, friends list, achievements and all that but with the added benefit of no cost for live it can be an appealing offer. At least one that you have to figure Microsoft is very aware of.

Like I said there is no guarantee Xbox users will start migrating in droves to PC but when you are dealing with a, assumedly big source of revenue for Xbox, you don't want to take a big jump like launching big multiplayer games like Halo 5 day-and-date on PC and end up in a situation where you have lost a good number of your subscribers.

They could lose subscribers (obviously if they don't have GWG for PC as well) but it could make it up in revenue from games sold in the store. The long term goal is to have people buy from the store. Also, what people don't realize is that buying from the Xbox store on XBO is the same store they are buying from on PC. So to MS, if you have a console or a PC, they getting money. Obviously they get more with Xbox Live subscribers from XBO. I'm sure they will somehow figure out how to get that going. People do rent servers for PC games...they have Azure, seems like a natural fit to me if I was MS.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I just noticed that we soon won't have port beggers from the Xbox side of the fence if MS continues this trend. (Well, we'll always have Steam-beggers but that's another story). I'm happy this is happening. Can't wait to see how it plays, looks. E3 baby.
Yes, now we will have more of:
"There's no reasons to buy an Xbox One anymore, its exclusives will end up on PC anyways" in Xbox One threads, and
"Not everyone has gaming PCs..." in others.

Zedox

"There's no reasons to buy an Xbox One anymore, its exclusives will end up on PC anyways" in Xbox One threads, and

Aww man, I forgot about that. Thread derailment will be at an all time high this E3. So many games gonna be "Xbox and Windows 10", people gonna flip shits. I wonder if MS will change the naming convention to something like "Xbox Store" so it will be like "Xbox Store exclusive" and "Xbox One Exclusive"...

Zeta Oni

Yup, someone already mentioned it but the subreddit thread for this topic is a wave of that first one with a sprinkle of the second.

Awesome! Just bought myself the last bits for the gaming PC I'm building, so this is fantastic news for me.

Hopefully they'll generally go XO and PC from now on.

Zedox

Windows 10 only?!!? Oh, come on!

Sooner or later you will upgrade. Windows 7 is at EOL, no one cares for Windows 8.1. Windows 10 (which will be a service OS...a la OSX) will the platform going forward. Might as well jump on the train. Steam will still be there. :) Granted you will still have to buy the game through Windows Store.

Top Bottom