• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
a8c.jpg

oldergamer

SEGA sells part of its business. If it sells some other parts - it can be acquired by MS, because stuff like this is exactly the reason why MS cannot buy Japanese companies - they have ties with various industries that MS is not interested in.

Microsoft could have bought Sega in 2000s easily, but well at that time Bill Gates thought that Sega won't be able to defeat Sony so he did not do that...
If I recall, that is not what happened. Microsoft had a verbal deal to purchase sega, however the person that made the deal became ill and passed away. It's in the book by Dean Takahasi called opening the Xbox

Meesh

I mean, if, if Microsoft bought Sega i think honestly it wouldn't do the brand any favors.
Im not worried about a "X" game going to an "X" platform being an issue, I've always just had an issue with large corporations taking too much control.

I don't feel Microsoft or Xbox "understand" the Japanese culture and market. That's just how I feel about it. Sure Sega might be of interest in the America's, (landing on Xbox/being owned by Microsoft) in Japan I think it could dissuade Japanese gamers from possibly buying into Sega games from Microsoft on the basis of image alone. I dunno.... its a gut feeling.

And if all those are multiplatform or continue to remain on say, Switch and Sony alike, there's still always going to be a certain taste in my mouth when playing something... the flavor of new influence.

I feel Microsoft owned Sega games will become too Americanized, less Japanese diversity and innovation. I love the Persona series but would hate a drastic or noticeable change.

Some IPs might just disappear altogether.

This is just all just a negative thought of what could happen... the complete opposite could be true!!! Microsoft owned Japanese brands and studios could be given the freedom to keep their creativity and distinct polish.

Maybe those Ips just get bigger and better...could also be a move that preserves a certain corner of Japanese games.

Either way... I tend to not trust big corporations.

PhaseJump

Banned
Wait what?
Not the news I expected...
Is this just the arcade department of Sega? Can someone please enlighten and tell us, what this means for Sega itself?

Sega was losing money, Covid-19 happened and nobody went to the arcades anymore.

So Sammy who bought Sega for it's real estate in the first place, just sold 85% of it's subsidiary that holds the real estate. They don't state what they sold it for, and wrote off about $191m as an extraordinary loss due to the property it's giving up.

What this likely means is that SegaSammy is leaner and more focused on software & publishing. They still make arcade games and machines, they don't run arcade locations now.

If they are looking for mergers and acquisitions to happen, they will have an easier time of it now.

rnlval

Sega Sammy has announced it will sell the majority of its shares in its Sega Entertainment division to Japanese amusement rental business Genda Inc

The company filing of the transfer specifies that Genda is purchasing amusement machines and associated prizes and items from Sega as a part of the business transfer.

However, it's worth noting that while Sega Entertainment creates and operates the company's arcade locations, Sega itself still manufactures and sells arcade machine

----
Sega Entertainment has the physical games arcade business.

Last edited:

rnlval

I mean, if, if Microsoft bought Sega i think honestly it wouldn't do the brand any favors.
Im not worried about a "X" game going to an "X" platform being an issue, I've always just had an issue with large corporations taking too much control.

I don't feel Microsoft or Xbox "understand" the Japanese culture and market. That's just how I feel about it. Sure Sega might be of interest in the America's, (landing on Xbox/being owned by Microsoft) in Japan I think it could dissuade Japanese gamers from possibly buying into Sega games from Microsoft on the basis of image alone. I dunno.... its a gut feeling.

And if all those are multiplatform or continue to remain on say, Switch and Sony alike, there's still always going to be a certain taste in my mouth when playing something... the flavor of new influence.

I feel Microsoft owned Sega games will become too Americanized, less Japanese diversity and innovation. I love the Persona series but would hate a drastic or noticeable change.

This is just all just a negative thought of what could happen... the complete opposite could be true!!! Microsoft owned Japanese brands and studios could be given the freedom to keep their creativity and distinct polish.

Maybe those Ips just get bigger and better...could also be a move that preserves a certain corner of Japanese games.

Microsoft Japan understands anime.

Think of Microsoft Japan's anime girls as Microsoft USA's Cortana female character.

Last edited:

Let's be real here; SEGA's done a good job of disappearing many of their IP on their own, and trying to "westernize" some to bad results. Remember the PS2 Altered Beast game? All of this was without Microsoft ownership, btw.

Truth is, I don't think MS purchasing SEGA would run the risk of SEGA's games suddenly losing their Japanese flavor. When they did a string of games (some exclusive) on OG Xbox practically all of them were natural evolutions of what they already established on the Dreamcast. Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Outrun 2...none of those were touched by Microsoft and still were very much SEGA games at their core.

If MS want to capture as wide a net of gaming tastes as possible then I don't see why franchises like Persona would be Westernized; MS already have WRPGs covered through Bethesda and Obsidian alone, they wouldn't need yet more of that style in terms of 1P.

Last edited:

I don't know what you know about Japanese culture, I'm kind of an expert..

Sega has not been Sega since they gave up console business back in 2001.

I don't really even see them as a japanese games dev.

down sizing getting ready for the buy out
Japan is one of those countries where the workers would be all for that........try that shit over here

fmQM2Uf.gif

RaZoR No1

Man the Situation for Sega Sammy doesn't really good.

On the other hand, this could really be the chance for MS to grab Sega at even on a lower cost than actually thought.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Microsoft are just waiting for their moment to pounce. Once the attitude to hostile takeover in Japanese corporate culture eases, then they will strike!

MHUqnTD.png

Indeed

Sentenza

down sizing getting ready for the buy out
Japan, the country where the boss doesn't need to fire you.
He just stares you down harshly and you retire voluntarily.

Tschumi

You realize that, even if this does happen, you have been wrong since "this Wednesday"

.. they don't need to buy studios, why don't they just make their own micro-transactions heavy, Japanese language mobile game?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Tomorrow is the big day gents.

What better day to announce this than the day after the new console launches, and the day before their main competition's console launches.

Top Bottom