• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft //build/ 2015 |OT| Write Once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

So why did the robot drive to exactly those points

Even if so, what difference does it even make? You're doubting that in a world with self driving cars they can't make a pathfinding robot? Even just from a camera perspective, the AR was working perfectly, the terrain was mapped correctly and the little robot thingy was constantly floating exactly on top of the robot.

Ape

Banned
So pretty solid overall I'd say.

Windows 10 is looking great.

Windows phone is sill trying hard. Can't really say if it will matter but at least it's there.

Hololens is just amazing. Can't really put it to words. Wish I had one.

Bsigg12

If they brought hundreds of Hololens units to Build to have sessions with them, they have got to be getting close to announcing a release right?

Alx

Even if so, what difference does it even make? You're doubting that in a world with self driving cars they can't make a pathfinding robot? Even just from a camera perspective, the AR was working perfectly, the terrain was mapped correctly and the little robot thingy was constantly floating exactly on top of the robot.

The view from the camera perspective probably was an easier task to be honest. It certainly had similar sensor information as the hololens (depth image, motions), but with a powerful PC to do the computations, while as an embedded device the Hololens hardware has more restrictions.
I wouldn't be surprised if the experience seen from the "helmet" was less smooth than what we saw, even if it's the same software on both ends.

arhra

Nothing they showed there really blew my mind beyond what I already knew about HoloLens.

I think it's the "what we already know about HoloLens" that people are sceptical about.

The demos still seem just a little too slick and sci-fi to be truly representative.

Then again, we'll be getting hands-on impressions soon enough presumably, so we'll have people comparing the reality to the demo to see how it holds up.

Zeppu

The view from the camera perspective probably was an easier task to be honest. It certainly had similar sensor information as the hololens (depth image, motions), but with a powerful PC to do the computations, while as an embedded device the Hololens hardware has more restrictions.
I wouldn't be surprised if the experience seen from the "helmet" was less smooth than what we saw, even if it's the same software on both ends.

Yep, probably the case. But this is proof-of-concept tech. It won't take long to scale down the size of the processor and make it more efficient as they go along. The AR software is what's most impressive though. They are coming with amazing concepts of how it can be used but there is still a long way to go to have it be a standalone unwired device as they said themselves.

dLMN8R

I'm definitely interested to hear what developers have to say about it and if/how it differs from what the press said back in January.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

I think it's more along the lines of.... The video coming from HoloLens is not going to be near enough high quality for demonstration and there would be lack of image stabilization due to lack of need.

That in itself would not be very accurate to an end user to what the people whi are using the device are seeing.

I think it's more along the lines of.... The video coming from HoloLens is not going to be near enough high quality for demonstration and there would be lack of image stabilization due to lack of need.

That in itself would not be very accurate to an end user to what the people whi are using the device are seeing.

Plus there's probably not even a forward-facing video camera on the hololens, only a depth sensor (I could be totally wrong) edit: I must be wrong based on the structural engineer demo, ignore me.

chadskin

Why the Mac App Store Sucks

Some of these aspects will certainly apply to the Windows Store, too, other aspects of the criticism ultimately depend on Microsoft's specific implementation. But for paid apps, keep this in mind:
Forget that Apple's taking 30% of each developer's paycheck, but they're also making it harder for developers to give us good support. Before, you could just download an app from a developer, try it out, and get support directly from them. Now, though, with Apple as a middleman, the developer doesn't always have as much power to fix problems that arise. They can't release quick updates, since all updates have to be approved by Apple. They can't fix any problems you have with downloading or purchasing an app (that's all on Apple's head). Having Apple in the middle of the developer/customer relationship is just going to muddle things up and make it more difficult for everyone involved.

On the technical side of things, and I assume it's true for future Windows Store Win32 apps as well since they run in a sandboxed/virtual environment:
No background processes or login items: Apps aren't allowed to keep any code running in the background after they've been quit. So, for example, Apple's own FaceTime has the convenience of staying out of your way until you get a call, but you're going to have to manually launch and keep any other video chat program fully open and minimized at all times. That doesn't seem fair, does it?
No root permissions: No apps are allowed to request root permissions (even with the user's consent), which means that no backup software or anything else that needs access to system files.

No programs that download other programs: This is also pretty vague, but does this mean no other browsers? Does this mean no FTP clients, or anything else you could use to share files (like Dropbox)? Or are we just talking about downloading and executing code?

So people who expect every Windows program to appear in the Store and thus have it work flawlessly across all Windows devices may be in for a (negative) surprise. As a Mac user, I get the Apple office suite, Twitter, Reeder, Evernote (side note: they've just pushed update 6.0.9 to the Mac App Store today, while the non-MAS-app is at 6.0.10), Microsoft Remote Desktop and Condense through the App Store, everything else - Dropbox, Spotify, Steam, Origin, Cisco AnyConnect, VLC, Adium, Chrome and more - I still have to download separately. Which is disappointing because the concept of one store on the desktop is good for the users as all the apps you get through it are kept up to date, without all these different application-specific update mechanism that usually suck.

But let's see how Microsoft is going to tackle all of this. One advantage of the Windows Store over the Mac App Store is certainly the wide range of devices you can target with one app, compared to just Macs with the Mac App Store. Whether or not that makes up for the downsides then remains to be seen.

Dear Hololens Devs:

Take this -

Cortana_H4_Render.png

Integrate with this -

cortana-600px.jpg

You now have the biggest selling app on the Hololens store.

(For about 5 minutes before MS pulls it and makes it themselves.)

I think it's the "what we already know about HoloLens" that people are sceptical about.

The demos still seem just a little too slick and sci-fi to be truly representative.

Then again, we'll be getting hands-on impressions soon enough presumably, so we'll have people comparing the reality to the demo to see how it holds up.

I honestly didn't think it looked that slick. The Trimble video definitely fake, but the onstage demo seemed about what I expected. I guess I'm just not that impressed by the visual quality of what I'm seeing on stage.The device as I expected is rendering very sparse primitive graphics from a weak mobile processor. The resolution of apps and videos will probably be very low. The Windows Holographic menu and Skype app didn't even move or render that smoothly. The mapping of the room and 2D plane navigation stuff I've seen on many devices by now including my vacuum cleaner. I've seen demos of drones at CES that were far more impressive navigating a 3D space including the Z-axis.The voice recognition accuracy is probably the least credible aspect of the demos to me.

This product is amazing, but the demo wasn't so impressive it seemed fake or unbelievable to me.

Pejo

Lots of really cool stuff to read through. I'm really pumped about the Windows 10 phone stuff. I just recently switched to a Oneplus One and I already miss my Windows 10 phone preview, but damn it's nice to have apps again. I hope the measures MS is taking to bring in more apps to the Windows Phone environment pays off. I'll gladly buy whatever the new flagship phone is once it's been proven.

I honestly didn't think it looked that slick. The Trimble video definitely fake, but the onstage demo seemed about what I expected. I guess I'm just not that impressed by the visual quality of what I'm seeing on stage.The device as I expected is rendering very sparse primitive graphics from a weak mobile processor. The resolution of apps and videos will probably be very low. The mapping of the room and 2D plane navigation stuff I've seen on many devices by now including my vacuum cleaner. I've seen demos of drones at CES that were far more impressive navigating a 3D space including the Z-axis.The voice recognition accuracy is probably the least credible aspect of the demos to me.

This product is amazing, but the demo wasn't so impressive it seemed fake or unbelievable to me.

Yeah the whole thing was canned. The construction bit was a joke. MS is completely out of touch with reality on this. Seriously, do they think people want to be entertained (or look at anything besides their path) as they walk down the hall???

Remind me, how many electronic head mounted products have been successful in the history of time?

Yeah the whole thing was canned. The construction bit was a joke. MS is completely out of touch with reality on this. Seriously, do they think people want to be entertained (or look at anything besides their path) as they walk down the hall???

Remind me, how many electronic head mounted products have been successful in the history of time?

I think it will be extremely successful if priced right and no supply chain issues.

I don't think MS is out of touch with reality as they've demonstrated tons of productive uses for the product, but I also question if generation one will be more toy than serious productivity tool. I do see the flaws of the generation one product enough to believe it is simultaneously real and less perfect than some people are imagining. I would also easily pay $1000 to play around with this device fully knowing there are tons of version one flaws to be expected. I understand the limitations of the Atom processor, the limited display resolutions for apps and the limited room for batteries in the product. If I could make two suggestions to them it would be to build in a headphone jack and wireless power for someone who wants to outfit their home with the technology.

Ape

Banned

I'll even take that a step further, because I don't want people in here saying headphones have been successful or any bullshit like that.

How many holographic devices have been successful? None. That's right, fucking 0. Hololens doesn't stand a chance and history proves it. I'll be laughing so hard when this thing puts microsoft out of business.

Bsigg12

Need more HoloLens gifs.

Yep, one of him.telling the application to follow him would be cool.

I'll even take that a step further, because I don't want people in here saying headphones have been successful or any bullshit like that.

How many holographic devices have been successful? None. That's right, fucking 0. Hololens doesn't stand a chance and history proves it. I'll be laughing so hard when this thing puts microsoft out of business.

Are you the new Miles?

What the fuck are your expectations with a alternate virtual reality device?

4k, 60 fps?

Are you comparing this to Occulus? Because the use cases are completely different.

I'll even take that a step further, because I don't want people in here saying headphones have been successful or any **** like that.

How many holographic devices have been successful? None. That's right, **** 0. Hololens doesn't stand a chance and history proves it. I'll be laughing so hard when this thing puts microsoft out of business.

• Hololense is AR, not holograms.
  • Even if it's a total flop theres no way it would put MS out of business.
  • Headphones are an interesting comparison, except they're cheaper, come in earbud size, and don't inhibit the sense that we need for most activities (eyes).

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

It's good to know you can look at the future with the insight of a cup game. I wish you luck and future success.

Raphael

Want to buy the lumia 640 lte tomorrow. Do You guys think it's safe or it's better to wait out the conference?

Azih

Want to buy the lumia 640 lte tomorrow. Do You guys think it's safe or it's better to wait out the conference?

I think it's better to wait and see the first wave of phones after Win 10. Microsoft badly needs some hero phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom