• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

Hmm, so combining last quarter's and this quarter's results, the launch of the Xbox One (combined with declines in 360 sales and their higher/positive margins) has led to an increase in rev. by about $1.6B, but an increase in cost of sales by $2.1B and thus decrease in Xbox platform margin by about $0.5B.

Presumably despite the division now being called Devices and Consumer HW it still includes Xbox platform software royalties and Live revenue.

From that, is it relatively safe to say that the system is sold for a loss per unit?

Trying to get caught up, but it's almost time for bed, so I'm just gonna go ahead and post these for now. :p

719K is US NPD totals for Jan, Feb, March 2014. That doesn't include any of the other 12 countries because we don't have solid data for them. In Europe, the price was even more drastically cut than the $50 temporary retailer discount here in the US. Titanfall was number one on the UK sales charts so I'm sure there was some boost at least there.

What I'm trying to get at really is this. Retailers order more shipments to replenish stock. If the 900K consoles were still in the warehouse, the retailers would not have ordered 1.2 million more from Microsoft. Instead, Microsoft has shipped out an average of 400K a month to at bare minimum replenish stock.
When MS announced they'd shipped 10M XB360s, it was estimated there were about 2M unsold in the channel at the time. That's why their shipments for the following quarters were only 0.5M and 0.7M. So yes, it's entirely possible and even likely that stock has increased from the 900K left over from Q4, especially when MS are bundling the Game of the Century and giving retailers $50+ per unit for all of the stock they're already sitting on, and probably the stock they're trying to persuade them to take delivery on too. Have you seen Titanfall?? Look at all these awards!! This shit's gonna SELL!! Don't miss out!!

Anyways the US historically accounts for about 60% of their WW sales fyi, so holding to that ratio, MS would sell 1.166M WW in that time period while retailers having had 2.1M units to sell [900K + 1.2M]
That's 1.2M. If they'd actually sold 1.2M, don't you think they would've said that, instead of 1.2M shipped?

Huh not sure PS4 will hit 1M a month for April then
Why is that? The 7M was as of April 4th. If the numbers Thuway is quoting are from the 18th — since obviously they wouldn't have the numbers from the 25th yet — that's ~500K in two weeks. That's actually a bit faster than what they've averaged so far this year. (200K/wk)

From audio conference:

Xbox One engagement levels remain high, users spending nearly 5 hours per day on Xbox One

Expect channel inventory draw down in xbox consoles in Q2, historically slower quarter for hardware
Whoa. That means there's too much stock in the channel now, so they need to reduce shipments to help sell some of it off? Like they did after stuffing the channels with the XB360 back in 2006? Wouldn't that seem to indicate that stocks are higher now than they were at the end of 2013, since they didn't draw down in Q1? If Q2 is "historically slow," wouldn't it make it that much harder to sell off old stock, especially with no major releases scheduled?

But if mort is correct then the only logical place MS could have more sales is outside the US, UK would make up a decent portion but I can't explain where they would be coming from
To be fair to Mort, I was under the impression he was just quoting what he was told by his "contacts at MS," and I don't think they're under any obligation to be truthful with him. They may be "rounding up," as they were thought to have done with their 3M-sold announcement.

Regarding your estimate of 4.2-4.4M sold, can you explain how you got to that number? I'm assuming you started with the 3M figure rather than the 2.8M we were told they'd actually sold at the end of the year. So add 700K from the US, and I believe you estimated ~150K from the UK? That only brings us up to 3.85M. Where exactly do you think they sold an additional 350-550K? Those other countries only sold 600-800K combined during Q4. I can't imagine they did another ~450K in Q1. Regarding 4.4M specifically, that would indicate sales of 1.4M for the quarter. Again, why not tell us that, instead of 1.2M shipped?

Personally, I'm guessing they're around 3.75M now: 2.8M (2013) + 700K (US) + 150K (UK) + 100K (elsewhere). Maybe 4M, if the 3M was actually legit. Regardless of what their 2013 total actually was though, it seems fairly clear they sold less than 1.2M this quarter, or we'd have gotten that number instead. But instead of telling us how awesome their sales were last quarter, what they actually said was, "Whoops; we've got way too many of these things on the shelves now. Excuse us while we fix it."

Draw down is normal during this upcoming quarter. Even with a launch being only 6 months before. Even Sony's orders will likely drop as retailers are now getting regular stock. My local best buy's have had dozens of both systems the last month every time I'm in there. Its really a seasonality issue.
That's not what they're talking about though. Sure, shipments always go down in Q2, but my understanding — and I may be completely wrong about this — is that "inventory drawdown" refers specifically to reducing production/shipments in an effort to sell off surplus stock. That would seem to imply their Q2 drop-off will be larger than one would normally expect for Q2, because they're holding more stock from Q4/Q1 than they should be (as opposed to having an "appropriate" amount of post-Q1 stock on hand).

That's 1.2M. If they'd actually sold 1.2M, don't you think they would've said that, instead of 1.2M shipped?
No. Because it's an earning's release not a PR statement. Their revenue is earned at sale to retail.

As for the draw down comment, I would assume they mean that retail will hold less in their channel as reserve due to the normal slower NA summer.

Fredrik

It's fun to read the "but it hasn't launched in X countries yet!" rhetoric.

I'm assuming that's mainly talking about tier 2 countries in Europe.
But even in tier 2 countries, Xbox Ones are widely available and PS4's are out of stock everywhere. Microsoft finally "officially" launching there isn't going to do much when it has been on shelves ever since the tier 1 release.

If anything, Sony actually shipping units over there is going to make a way bigger splash in terms of monthly WW sales.
Going by personal tier 2 experience, me and all my friends are still waiting for the official launch and I suspect we aren't the only ones, X1's has not in any way been on shelves where we're located since the tier 1 release, it's been available in one dutch store as an expensive i port option for a few months and only just now in game stores like Game and GameStop for a more reasonable price. Oh and PS4 is not in anyway out of stock here.

Hydrargyrus

Counting that X1 has nothing even near to Titanfall during Q2, and there are A LOT OF X1 in stores right now, the shipment numbers for Q2 are going to be very low.

If PS4 is selling to consumers 3:1 in the Q1, with Titanfall+bundles+discounts...

i think the reaction to the q3 (fy, or q1 cy) numbers is also overblown. it's fairly in line with shipments of the xbox 360 over the last couple of years. maybe down by several hundred thousand, but nothing to indicate something disastrous. it all looks pretty good to me. healthy, at least.
I agree they're healthy currently. Microsoft just have to ensure the recent downturn of sales doesn't accelerate. (I'm speaking of NPD numbers here, their strongest region.) Launch for Xbox One was fantastic and unprecedented, selling about triple what 360 did at launch. But in the following quarter it was only 109k over the 360 (about 18% higher). Next quarter One will have to sell as much as this quarter--while having no Titanfall--just to match 360. Having a very strong, very appreciated E3 will be more important than ever for Microsoft this year.

Actually, last year's E3 might've been even more important. They did what they could, though they couldn't shake their negative policies quick enough. Fortunately for them, Sony won't have any "easy wins" this year.

That's practically even, amazing considering the online campaign against the X1 before it released.

Congratulations Microsoft.

Is this a serious post? I can't tell

No. Because it's an earning's release not a PR statement. Their revenue is earned at sale to retail.

As for the draw down comment, I would assume they mean that retail will hold less in their channel as reserve due to the normal slower NA summer.

Yes they're reporting what they have sold to retailers since that's where the earnings come from. Basically what they announced recently

It's fun to read the "but it hasn't launched in X countries yet!" rhetoric.

I'm assuming that's mainly talking about tier 2 countries in Europe.
But even in tier 2 countries, Xbox Ones are widely available and PS4's are out of stock everywhere. Microsoft finally "officially" launching there isn't going to do much when it has been on shelves ever since the tier 1 release.

If anything, Sony actually shipping units over there is going to make a way bigger splash in terms of monthly WW sales.

There's a reason they're "tier 2" countries for MS. They're not gonna sell that many consoles in those countries anyways so it doesn't matter if they released in those regions or not. What really matters is that in the US and the UK where Microsoft easily dominated last generation they are being outsold.

Hmm if the PS4 wasn't in play, the XB1 numbers would be phenomenal, the hard LTD numbers are still fantastic but LTD in Q1 is less than ideal imo

Comparision to previous generations is misleading.

We never before had situation where so many people were super hungry for new hardware due to previous gen lasting way too long.

Which is why Microsoft should be very worried - they had amazing launch but it slowed down to shipping 400k a month which shows that they fullfilled demand built over last year or two of waiting and are now back to normal numbers.
Meanwhile Sony is still going at launch pace which suggests there's lot more accumulated demand for ps4 and they won't slow down for few more months

Comparision to previous generations is misleading.

We never before had situation where so many people were super hungry for new hardware due to previous gen lasting way too long.

Which is why Microsoft should be very worried - they had amazing launch but it slowed down to shipping 400k a month which shows that they fullfilled demand built over last year or two of waiting and are now back to normal numbers.
Meanwhile Sony is still going at launch pace which suggests there's lot more accumulated demand for ps4 and they won't slow down for few more months

It's not just hunger for a new generation. The industry has grown substantially since the Xbox 360 and the PS3 launched. COD selling 15+ million copies a year and GTA V breaking all kinds of media records is a clear sign that gaming has very much gone mainstream. So yes it is very misleading when Microsoft compares the sales of the XB1 to the 360.

zhao3gold

Banned
Console war is over. PS4 is dominating, Xbox One is dooming and Wii U was already doomed.

We need PS5, NextXbox and Wii U 2 right now to have the next console war, otherwise, GAF will be getting bored.

Jomjom

Banned
It is not like that... every month is made a new reestimate to future production and if Foxconn stop to produce Xbone they will produce others things... they have a lot of contracts.

Production is based in estimates demand... that is why in the holidays they increase the production.

Contract already anticipate these changes.

Dont know about consoles, but back when I worked at Foxlink (we manufactured the majority of the 360 controllers and accessories), Foxconn's sister company, they definitely did not recalculate every month and were not allowed to according to contract.

If i remember correctly, lead times were 6 months for controllers. Unless you mean every month they recalculate for 6 months from that month, then yes.

AniHawk

I agree they're healthy currently. Microsoft just have to ensure the recent downturn of sales doesn't accelerate. (I'm speaking of NPD numbers here, their strongest region.) Launch for Xbox One was fantastic and unprecedented, selling about triple what 360 did at launch. But in the following quarter it was only 109k over the 360 (about 18% higher). Next quarter One will have to sell as much as this quarter--while having no Titanfall--just to match 360. Having a very strong, very appreciated E3 will be more important than ever for Microsoft this year.

if we're just considering npd numbers, i think there are a few things to take into account. one, that the 360 had sold a total of 1.2m units in the us at this point compared to the xbox one's 2.5m - the xbox 360 was severely supply-constrained through its first two quarters compared to steady supply of the xbox one. two, we came off a heightened generation where everyone was really into video games. compare it to the previous generation and we would see consoles selling maybe 200k-300k a month, and that would be performing excellent or admirably, but a system selling the same during 2007-2011 was seen as underperforming thanks to the unexpected success of the wii, ds, and the later xbox 360. three, that xbox one software sales are very strong, and better than the ps4's by 700k despite the disparity in the userbase, indicating the userbase is active beyond the the need for just one game.

so when we hit the spring and summer months and sales dip because that's what generally happens unless you experience phenom success, i wouldn't really be surprised, or concerned.

ymmv

Banned
Going by personal tier 2 experience, me and all my friends are still waiting for the official launch and I suspect we aren't the only ones, X1's has not in any way been on shelves where we're located since the tier 1 release, it's been available in one dutch store as an expensive i port option for a few months and only just now in game stores like Game and GameStop for a more reasonable price. Oh and PS4 is not in anyway out of stock here.

What are you talking about? It's out of stock at the internet sites of Bart Smit, Intertoys, Dixons, Mycom, Sony, Nedgames, Saturn, Gamemania, Mediamartk and ToysX. Bol.com has a 12 weeks waiting list, Wehkamp l has a five weeks waiting list. See http://www.ps4-kopen.nl/

Your anecdotal evidence is just as bad as that guy who proclaimed the PS4 was dead in New Zealand.

Livelife

Banned
Now I'm actually interested in how launching in the remaining markets is going to affect the numbers.

The Xbox one is only released in 13 markets whilst the PlayStation 4 is in 72 markets.

This will have a significant impact on the units sold. In the autumn there will be 26 more markets included.

Significantly the PS4's lead in North America is relatively small after 6 months.

Feorax

One of the big issues is that really, there's nothing on the horizon at the level of Titanfall for the Xbox One until Halo 5, which could be 12 months away, maybe more.

Lots of the big multiplat games such as Destiny, Watch dogs and Ass Creed, have marketing deals with Sony, and as such you'd expect them to drive PS4 sales more than XBO. Add to that Sony's first party offerings like The order, and maybe Driveclub, and it's hard to see where MS is going to be able to get the opportunity to prevent the gap from widening, never mind close it.

Other than a drastic price cut at E3 ($100 to $150), MS are pretty much at the mercy of the consumer.

The Xbox one is only released in 13 markets whilst the PlayStation 4 is in 72 markets.

This will have a significant impact on the units sold. In the autumn there will be 26 more markets included.

Significantly the PS4's lead in North America is relatively small after 6 months.

1. The countries the XBO has yet to release in are unlikely to have any major impact on their sales deficiency. There is a reason MS decided that these were Tier 2 and Tier 3 countries.

2. Last I checked, the PS4 was ahead by a ratio of 2:1 in the US? That's not insignificant at all, especially when your biggest release has already been and gone, and you have have very little in the near future that's going to drive console sales.

Yaoibot

It will have little to no impact on sales, this is just the new goalpost. Sony will have already entrenched themselves as the defacto brand of choice in those regions, having had an entire year (basically) head start.

By the end of 2014, Sony will probably be at double the shipped figures (not sold through to consumers) of MS. Writing is on the wall. Doesn't mean that MS won't make a profit or have a decent generation, but their chances of ever being first are gone, completely. All the advantages they had last gen - price, developer-ease, early start - are nonexistent. The playing field isn't even level, its tipped, handily, in Sony's favor.

wotter

1. The countries the XBO has yet to release in are unlikely to have any major impact on their sales deficiency. There is a reason MS decided that these were Tier 2 and Tier 3 countries.
It's even worse,: in most T2 countries, the box has been widely available at the biggest retailers (fnac, saturn, mediamarkt, etc.) for many months now. I guess retailers are shuffling surplus stock from one of those 13 countries (my guess is Germany). It is definately harder to get a ps4 than a xbone in many European countries atm, which is ironic considering one isn't 'officially' available yet.

Dinjooh

Xbox One is freely available in most european countries, and even more interesting is that it's fighting at the same pricepoint as the PS4 in the scandinavian countries (SE & DK, haven't seen numbers for NO) and the PS4 is still in way higher demand.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Stupid MS. If only they'd realised they could have done so much better by launching in more markets. When will they learn?

Raist

Banned
What I don't get is why they're waiting for September to launch in additional countries. It really seems like they could afford it right now, production-wise.

sphinx

the piano man
this is my "Saturn" store in Germany

IMG-20140422-WA0000_zpsac98a6fa.jpg

I've never seen a PS4 in store there waiting to be bought,

What exactly are people expecting from launches in Slovakia, Singapore and Saudi Arabia?

The 50K units they'll sell in Japan this year sure will close that gap.

The PS4, based on software sales and tie ratio extrapolation sold maybe 40K in 2013 across Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark i.e. 4 of those 26 launch markets for 2014. And even given some of the reason behind that is supply, I highly doubt the XBO fares significantly better.

These markets will in all likelihood add something like 500K this year at best.

The XBO has already launched in the markets in which it will make the vast majority of its lifetime sales.

zhao3gold

Banned
this is my "Saturn" store in Germany

IMG-20140422-WA0000_zpsac98a6fa.jpg

I've never seen a PS4 in store there waiting to be bought,

Quite expected in mainland Europe. I can say even if Xbox One is more powerful and cheaper than PS4, it will be still sold way less than PS4. The fate was settled since day one just because it is called "Xbox".

Tommy DJ

What exactly are people expecting from launches in Slovakia, Singapore and Saudi Arabia?

The 50K units they'll sell in Japan this year sure will close that gap.

The PS4, based on software sales and tie ratio extrapolation sold maybe 40K in 2013 across Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark i.e. 4 of those 26 launch markets for 2014. And even given some of the reason behind that is supply, I highly doubt the XBO fares significantly better.

These markets will in all likelihood add something like 500K this year at best.

The XBO has already launched in the markets in which it will make the vast majority of its lifetime sales.

Its like that thread where the OP listed the population of each Tier 2 country. Where the hell do people get this idea that the Xbone WW sales are going to improve by an appreciable amount by selling to Eastern Europe or Asia?

MrBud360

XBox = XBox One hardware + Kinect hardware
PS4 = PS4 hardware

A lot of work done by MS. Congrats. Now all MS need is a Kinect killer application

Dance Central 4 would help

Kysen

that's four hundred and fourty-nine euros for microsoft! imagine the amount of bubble gum and jelly beans they can buy with that!

PAL charts this week showed as much, 1 title in top 50 damn. Its like you guys don't even know it exists.

Quite expected in mainland Europe. I can say even if Xbox One is more powerful and cheaper than PS4, it will be still sold way less than PS4. The fate was settled since day one just because it is called "Xbox".

Shocking news: brand with history of well supporting diverse small european markets sell better in those markets.

XBox = XBox One hardware + Kinect hardware
PS4 = PS4 hardware

A lot of work done by MS. Congrats. Now all MS need is a Kinect killer application

Dance Central 4 would help

I wouldn't hold your breath, it's been over 3 years since the original kinect and I ain't seen one killer app yet.
I even despise my kinect v.2 because I'm convinced it's ignoring my voice commands on purpose.

moniker

Didn't you say you were located in Sweden? Because you can buy imported X1 from many major retailers here: Siba, Elgiganten, Mediamarkt, Webhallen etc.

Sorry, you don't get off that easy here. Either back up what you are posting or face consequences.

With that said, I'd love to know what legitimate reasons you have to doubt the numbers by MS and/or Sony.

Joe Incognito played that same card in another thread last week, he didn't back up his statements there either - he just got increasingly more idiotic.

This is a Titanfall thread so I feel this is on topic.

This was my favourite part of the whole thing <3

Jack cw

So how many bubble gum and jelly beans Microsoft can buy with their latest 5.66 billions net incoming.....

What does all this money have to do with the mediocre performance of the xbone and the rejection outside the US?
It only shows that with even that much money they couldnt build a system that was powerful, efficient and most importantly tailored as a thing of value and hype to customers. Most of that income is based on Windows, so this argument is one of the most daft an xbone supporter could bring to the table.

Striek

Without context its a solid number. With context of readily available supply, competitor figures and heavy discounting its rather bleak.

They definitely need to, and IMO will, remove the Kinect and lower the entry price significantly. Burdening the system with expensive components for TV/non-gaming functionality has been a critical mistake so far. But regardless, its waaaaaaaay too early to write the system off. There is so much time to correct course, and at least in a couple key markets (NA, UK) the trajectory isn't awful yet.

zhao3gold

Banned
What does all this money have to do with the mediocre performance of the xbone and the rejection outside the US?
It only shows that with even that much money they couldnt build a system that was powerful, efficient and most importantly tailored as a thing of value and hype to customers. Most of that income is based on Windows, so this argument is one of the most daft an xbone supporter could bring to the table.

You take my post too seriously, my friend... It was just a joke...

zhao3gold

Banned
Fair enough :)
With all those new members and heated debattes in gaming side, I'm not so sure whats serious and what not.

I am pretty sure the flame talks of consoles sales will be getting less and less considering PS4 is dominating, X1 is mediocre and Wii U is doomed. It will be pointless to continue the argument about who is winner.

For me, just buy the consoles you like and play the games you like. Sales matters, but it doesn't mean all.

Top Bottom