• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

I'd put money on it that Sony has outsold MS in the same 13 territories, and by quite a margin.

I'd agree with that. They might make some of the gap up in the UK if they price continues to collapse, the same might also happen in the US if retailers move to clear stock, but there's really no doubt they are being outsold by Sony in all regions and they very likely won't gain much traction in the regions they are launching in in September...

360:

Worldwide shipments as of December 31st, 2005 - 1.5 million (lots of shortages)
Worldwide shipments as of March 31st, 2006 - 3.2 million (still lots of shortages)
Worldwide shipments as of June 30th, 2006 - 5.0 million
Worldwide shipments as of September 30th, 2006 - 6.0 million
Worldwide shipments as of December 31st, 2006 - 10.4 million

I have a feeling it won't be but a few months before MS can't keep using the best selling Xbox line

DieH@rd

Banned
T2 will save the Xbone.

T2 countries are importing Xbone consoles by themselves, which brings price up for ~$50€ at individual retailers. Official introduction of the console in those countries will not bring large boost, especially since in every of those T2 countries Sony was strong in previous generation and PS4 sales are already started.

darkwing

Thing is, when those stocks are run down, where does MS go on UK pricing? Big multiples like Tesco aren't going to put it out at £429 for a base unit again, and I doubt even a bundled TF or Forza at £349-399 is going to be especially appealing to them, not to mention that it's now the de facto price point in the UK.

this is why it is more than likely there will be an official price drop on E3

no way they are selling at full price again

Guevara

Sony fixed they supply issues,you can find it any time now.

I think Sony prioritized sending PS4s to the U.S. so they could win March NPD. We went from zero PS4s to a pretty steady supply. Likely they will allocate PS4s more broadly worldwide in the coming months.

(I know, I know: that's a crazy conspiracy! No company would operate like that!)

Acorn

Thanks, trying to guess based on NPD from 360/Original Xbox (looking for WW)

This generation is blowing away previous generation's sales even with direct competition it seems.
Of course the multiple wiki's/charts/sites could be off. Seems hard to find data from 9-14 years ago.

That long 360/Wii/PS3 gen left a lot of customers wanting something.
Heh, where are all those journos declaring the death of consoles now.

Biker19

Banned
Current trajectory indicates that by the time E3 rolls around PS4 will stand at 9 million sold vs. 5 million for x1. An 80% lead.

Microsoft though can start clawing their way back to a WW lead once the Chinese floodgates are opened.

I don't think that Microsoft taking over China will be as simple as you may think.

1.) Most Chinese gamers game on PC and the One doesn't have many games that appeal to them. Chinese gamers play MMORPGs, MOBAs, MOCG and other online games. The One doesn't have many of those, as of now.

Not to mention that consoles are already sold in a lot of Chinese shops, despite the ban. Chinese gamers choose not to game on consoles. More reasons:

Link.

2.) They have strict rules on what they could bring for games:

Link.

The problem with China isn't the system selling in so much as what games the Chinese will be allowed access to. It's pretty restrictive. Even something as innocuous as Harvest Moon would be banned under these conditions. If anything, Nintendo may be the one to win China there.

I'd agree with that. They might make some of the gap up in the UK if they price continues to collapse, the same might also happen in the US if retailers move to clear stock, but there's really no doubt they are being outsold by Sony in all regions and they very likely won't gain much traction in the regions they are launching in in September...

Well for Germany I made some charts earlier today that might be helpful

This is Software placements, not hardware

13998992244_f3d6e7fbe8_o.png

Ignore Week 2 though as that's adjusted. this doesn't even account for the fact that the PS4 placements are higher in the Top 50 as well

zebwinz

Because as of Dec. 31st there was 900,000 XB1's on retailers shelves just wating to be sold?

So it's 900k + 1200k = 2100k -> 2100k - 719k = 1381k on retailer shelves

Where are you getting 719k anyways?

719K is US NPD totals for Jan, Feb, March 2014. That doesn't include any of the other 12 countries because we don't have solid data for them. In Europe, the price was even more drastically cut than the $50 temporary retailer discount here in the US. Titanfall was number one on the UK sales charts so I'm sure there was some boost at least there.

What I'm trying to get at really is this. Retailers order more shipments to replenish stock. If the 900K consoles were still in the warehouse, the retailers would not have ordered 1.2 million more from Microsoft. Instead, Microsoft has shipped out an average of 400K a month to at bare minimum replenish stock.

I don't think that Microsoft taking over China will be as simple as you may think.

1.) Most Chinese gamers game on PC and the One doesn't have many games that appeal to them. Chinese gamers play MMORPGs, MOBAs, MOCG and other online games. The One doesn't have many of those, as of now.

Not to mention that consoles are already sold in a lot of Chinese shops, despite the ban. Chinese gamers choose not to game on consoles.

Chinese companies are trying to port their MMOs to Xbox One lol(don't think will do much)

scoobs

4.2 million is actually really good compared to previous console launches, would be really good news if their main competitor wasn't already past 7.

Would appreciate it if a mode can put this in the op

Xbox 360 Hardware Shipment (Unit:Million)

Code:
  FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD

2005/06         -       1.5      1.7      1.8       5.0      5.0

2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7       6.6      11.6

2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3       8.7      20.3  

2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2       11.2     31.5  

2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5       10.3     41.8

2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7      1.7       13.7     55.3 

2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1       13.0     68.3

2012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      1.0       9.9      78.2

2013/14        1.2      3.5      0.8        -       5.5      83.7

Xbox One Hardware Shipment (Unit:Million)

Code:

2013/14         -       3.9      1.2       -        5.1      5.1

Credit goes to Parmenides for the format.

Honestly no wonder they are dropping the price of the x1 in the uk to get rid of stock, As with not alot coming out soon for the X1 i cant see them numbers drastically improving.

Is 4mill which is what it seems to be sold to customers good enough for MS and its shareholders? Surely E3 they announce a price drop which would be amazing to believe 7 months after release!

I think the pricepoints UK retailers are cutting the RRP of the Bone (£311 in some places?) shows that the gaming consumer won't countenance paying a premium for it, especially when something more powerful is available for £350.

The consumer has dictated the natural price for the Bone and it's 1.3TF GPU and 8GB DDR3 memory to be somewhere between £300-350.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Hopefully they sell enough to be competitive with the ps4 to keep Sony honest.

I know you mean well, but this mindset needs to go away. Sony has already seen the fruits of their arrogance when they got smashed last generation. As we can see so far, they took their lumps, changed their attitudes, and are now sitting on top of the world. MS selling on parity with PS4 isn't going to keep Sony any more honest where they are right now.

Guevara

Would appreciate it if a mode can put this in the op

Code:

2005/06         -       1.5   >>>1.7<<<   1.8       5.0      5.0

2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7       6.6      11.6

2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3       8.7      20.3  

2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2       11.2     31.5  

2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5       10.3     41.8

2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7      1.7       13.7     55.3 

2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1       13.0     68.3

2012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      1.0       9.9      78.2

2013/14        1.2      3.5      0.8        -       5.5      83.7

Xbox One Hardware Shipment (Unit:Million)

Code:

2013/14         -       3.9   >>>1.2<<<    -        5.1      5.1

What I take away from this is the tremendous first quarter drop-off vis-a-vis the Xbox 360 vs. the Xbox One

harSon

Banned
Because as of Dec. 31st there was 900,000 XB1's on retailers shelves just wating to be sold?

So it's 900k + 1200k = 2100k -> 2100k - 719k = 1381k on retailer shelves

Where are you getting 719k anyways?

Uh, Microsoft sold over 3 million in 2013, so lets say 3 million flat. In the United States alone, they sold 700,000 between January and March. That's 1,400,000 unaccounted for, and you're suggesting that they sold zero elsewhere worldwide, including April in the United States up until this point, and in the UK where they've been outselling the PS4 the last month or so duty Titanfall?

Amazon.fr and Amazon.de don't have the PS4 in stock. Population of France + Germany = 143 million people.

I mean the gaming market specifically.

4.2 million is actually really good compared to previous console launches, would be really good news if their main competitor wasn't already past 7.

You cant really compare it. 360 was supplied constrained till may 2006 so its not a fair comparison. xbox one can be found right away in jan or even Dec. Back then you couldn't send out as much compared to now.

Code:

2013/14        1.2      3.5      0.8        -       5.5      [B]83.7[/B]

This is interesting. So 360 WW LTD < 83.7M, Probably 81M or so maybe?

Uh, Microsoft sold over 3 million in 2013, so lets say 3 million flat. In the United States alone, they sold 700,000 between January and March. That's 1,400,000 unaccounted for, and you're suggesting that they sold zero elsewhere worldwide, including April in the United States up until this point, and in the UK where they've been outselling the PS4 the last month or so duty Titanfall?

Hilarious typo? :)

Anyways the US historically accounts for about 60% of their WW sales fyi, so holding to that ratio, MS would sell 1.166M WW in that time period while retailers having had 2.1M units to sell [900K + 1.2M]

Also XB1 outsold the PS4 for like 2 or 3 weeks in 2014 in the UK at most

spookyfish

That's not even close to a certainty for stating it so definitively. And I'm also not sure why people are so positive about that. I'm not saying it won't happen (by the Holiday certainly), but I'm just saying it's not so simple as all that. The Xbox division was tasked with NOT losing an inordinate amount of money, with making themselves consistently profitable. You pretty much throw an arrow at the heart of that if you try to charge $399.99 for Xbox One with Kinect as it is now; it's not an acceptable place for them to be from everything we know. Now they can throw out Kinect, but just joining price parity doesn't actually fix all the problems. Because they don't exist in a vacuum. They would need to offer something for $399.99 that says they are offering a better value than the next competitor at $399.99. If they toss out Kinect, say (and I'd approve), the value proposition is still $399.99 for two systems, but one is significantly more powerful, one has no negative indie policy, one doesn't put apps behind a paywall, one offers a bazillion free games if you subscribe, the other is still barely smoking by with their comparably paltry offerings. You see where I'm going with this? Microsoft needs to come up with some solution to the fact that they are just not being very competitive whatsoever right now.

Saying "Titanfall, Titanfall" a million times isn't going to do it. They either need to value-up their XBL service, offer a free game @ $399.99 (and then we're back to the losing money part), or offer some other promotion that appeals to people. Hitting price parity won't fix the issues by themselves.

Not to mention who says Sony will stay at $399 if Microsoft matches? How hard would it be (it's a question -- I don't know) for them to drop to $349?

Tigress

What I'm trying to get at really is this. Retailers order more shipments to replenish stock. If the 900K consoles were still in the warehouse, the retailers would not have ordered 1.2 million more from Microsoft. Instead, Microsoft has shipped out an average of 400K a month to at bare minimum replenish stock.

Retailers all the time buy more than they can sell. I work retail. I just griped today about why are they sending us more of this product when we already have way more than we can sell in overstock (I don't work anything related to video games but just using it as an example). So, yes, retailers do sometimes order more than they can sell of something (they aren't perfect).

Also, retailers so far have been showing they want to get rid of xbox's... they aren't discounting them to be nice ;). Best Buy apparently now is advertising that you can buy an xbox one for 400 dollars if you trade in your ps3 or xbox 360 for 50 dollars (and they specifically have said this is only for xbox one, not for PS4). That says to me Best Buy really wants to move some of them and get some space available for other stuff.

Madness

So it's 4.2/4.4 million Xbox One's compared to 7 million PS4?

Honestly, I think while the gap will widen, Microsoft selling that many, at $100 more than the ps4 is pretty decent.

Let's see what they're Halo announcement is like at E3, and whether that white Xbox One, larger HDD or even possibly a price drop/new bundle is in the works.

Most of the 1.2 million units shipped during January - end of March were likely Titanfall units.

When these were first announced in the 3rd week of February Microsoft stated that they would be available 'for a limited time only while supplies last' but seeing that they're readily available in retail (at least in NA) even this SKU likely didn't meet their sales expectations.

Still, without the Titanfall bundle it's reasonable to think that their Q1 shipments could've easily fallen under 1m orders

Raide

Not to mention who says Sony will stay at $399 if Microsoft matches? How hard would it be (it's a question -- I don't know) for them to drop to $349?

Why would they? Its selling well for them, so they are making money of their consoles. No need to drop the price, they just need some games.

Nzyme32

Technically Microsoft "sold" them to the retailers

Then the interesting comparison would be to look at how many sony have shipped, a figure which still be larger than what the xbox one has done. Further complicating that is the fact that the xbox one is still not available in as many territories, so any comparison would not be an accurate representation without the numbers for those individual territories

ymmv

Banned
Hopefully they sell enough to be competitive with the ps4 to keep Sony honest.

I don't get this line of reasoning. Worldwide sales of the Xbox 360 and PS3 are incredibly close (about 80 million consoles each), but that didn't keep MS honest judging by their original DRM plans for the Xbox One.

If MS were to reship all unsold stocks to countries where the XB1 hasn't launched yet, I really, really doubt it'd be sold out.

Of course it won't. That ship has sailed. They should have gone with a WW launch from the outset if they wanted to have any hope of trying to keep the gap somewhat close. By not doing so, they've given Sony a 9+ month head-start and it's one that will be insurmountable.

Well for Germany I made some charts earlier today that might be helpful

This is Software placements, not hardware

13998992244_f3d6e7fbe8_o.png

Ignore Week 2 though as that's adjusted. this doesn't even account for the fact that the PS4 placements are higher in the Top 50 as well

It's dead Jim. Just look at it. It's barely tracking that much better than the U software. If that isn't ringing alarm bells, I don't know what will...

TomShoe

Banned

I don't think it's feasible for them to undercut Sony, but price parity or at $50 cut might be coming. Sony doesn't need to worry until Xbox starts catching up.

Nope this is wrong, for hardware that is stocked in the channel and is not a commodity, it is common for there to be a provision to return x amount of unsold hardware every quarter/month.
Agree to disagree. The provisions you speak of are usually pushed out orders that are placed at a future time to keep payables current. If they're not current the majors wont ship future products to them. It os extremely rare for retailers ro return product and incur the costs associated with it. The margins are less than 3% as is. Software is an entirely different animal.

AniHawk

seems like a good start. things should really kick into high gear once bigger franchises come out and marketing for the current gen really gets going.

Pretty impressive considering all of the bungling and negativity. Now, they just have to, at least, match their direct competitor's price level and improve across the board for the rest of the gen.

Top Bottom