• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

There was an article awhile back around the launch dates that described roughly based on current manufacturing costs how much it would cost MS & Sony to build their consoles.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1320199

Not sure if this is the exact article, this is the quickest i could find while at work.
But if this a decent indicator, it looks like for every Xbox sold it makes 2.5 the profit.

Of course I'm looking at this from a macro (high) level, negating costs like advertising, etc.

Eh that seems high. There's another cost analysis done by a tech analyst firm that suggests far far less profit for the XB1 and I think less profit for the PS4 than that too

Besides Platform holders make most of their money from software sales and services

With 2.5M+ more consoles sold PS4 is almost assuredly winning on that front WW

And PS4 is still sold out since launch here in the middle east.
Next weeks shipment is allocated to middle of February pre-orders.

Xbox One will only launch in September.

Shit is crazy.

Who cares about the middle east? It's available in the US and that's the only thing that matters goddammit. /s

Andodalf

Banned
So X1 is doing perfectly reasonably? Not great, not PS4 numbers, and not Wii like God mode numbers, but still fine.

Serious question: If Xbone's numbers were the same, but PS4 wasn't out yet, how would X1's sales be viewed? basically if it was in a vacuum how would this be considered?

Also: If It had It's numbers and PS4 was lower, would X1 be viewed as selling well?

I just find it hard to tell when people speak about things objectively, and when they speak comparatively.

TomShoe

Banned
Well that's exactly right, upJTboogie. They've had an unfairly tough, uphill battle on account of the rhetoric spread out by a small, vocal minority of internet malcontents. Ultimately though the truth came out, no one can deny MS's HW skills and the train's going to keep rolling.

Every bit of shit they got over DRM was deserved. You can believe what you want to believe, but objectively, what they were asking us to give up was not enough for what they were promising in return.

blazeuk

The number itself sounds perfectly fine, people are obviously going to compare it to the PS4 numbers but Sony doing incredible numbers in more markets doesn't mean that MS is doing terrible, it just means one is doing quite well and the other is doing amazingly well. It's far from ideal for MS though, they can't be too happy seeing the PS4 outpace them by a considerable margin (something that could be difficult to catch up to) but it is still very early on in this generation.

Too many people seem fixated on this idea that there has to be a winner and a loser, the market itself doing well is a win for all gamers, having a "loser" would generally be bad for the industry. They're obviously chasing the biggest market share but they can still be profitable even without selling the most.

PS2 came out a year before the original Xbox and had a HUGE Library advantage.... This time they launched at the same time...

Dont see how release matters,what matters is fact. And in terms of library that is my point,if they can get an exclusive library then they have a chance.

The markets that they haven't released are historically not good for MS,i doubt it will be that different.

The thing is that they will help move units regardless, even if not in as many numbers as the markets they're already available in. People tend to underestimate the cumulative value of being in the few extra markets that the Xbox One currently isn't available in.

There may be less total sales in those other markets, but they add up to further bolster stronger sales in other areas. Don't overlook what a 100k here or 50k there can mean for the bigger picture. What's more, it's easily outperforming any previous console they've ever launched. I'd say they are in a good position. And, trust me, they could have been in much worse position with the popularity of the PS4 and the price disadvantage

Jomjom

Banned
Hmm thuway tweeted that the PS4 is at approximately 7.5m (he said 7.4-7.6) sold to customers? How accurate is he usually?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
In what parallel universe is that "practically even" wtf.

GHDhDpu.gif

The internet creates gold some times.

So X1 is doing perfectly reasonably? Not great, not PS4 numbers, and not Wii like God mode numbers, but still fine.

Serious question: If Xbone's numbers were the same, but PS4 wasn't out yet, how would X1's sales be viewed? basically if it was in a vacuum how would this be considered?

Also: If It had It's numbers and PS4 was lower, would X1 be viewed as selling well?

I just find it hard to tell when people speak about things objectively, and when they speak comparatively.

When MS announced 3M XB1's sold to consumers and we didn't yet know where PS4 sat

Hmm thuway tweeted that the PS4 is at approximately 7.5m (he said 7.4-7.6) sold to customers? How accurate is he usually?

Huh not sure PS4 will hit 1M a month for April then

Liha

Banned

Anth0ny

I guess the question is will people be buying a Wii-U to play the game, or do they already have the console and just want the game? I am sure it will shift a good few units but it will have to do crazy number to reverse the Wii-U's fortunes.

nothing is going to reverse the wii u's fortunes

nothing

not even the 500k smash will sell in its launch month. the thing is doomed to sell 15 million units at most by the end of its run.

the bolded could have been said for the wii, yet it sold 721k the month brawl released. mario kart and smash are on another level when it comes to system selling for nintendo hardware. they have always moved consoles, and wii u will not be an exception. except instead of 721k in a march, it'll sell 500k in a december (for reference, wii sold 2.15 MILLION units in december 2008). that's just the situation the wii u is in.

to say those games won't bump hardware sales during their launch months is ridiculous. to say they will "save" the wii u, however, is even more ridiculous.

Dont see how release matters,what matters is fact. And in terms of library that is my point,if they can get an exclusive library then they have a chance.

PS2 had a whole year to sell where Xbox didn't exist; Even the Gamecube wasn't available, they had no competition so they jump-started that generation...

Are they even doomed?

Well it's not a good look for the Xbox division after all the talk about wanting to sell it. When it's already at the point where a price drop needs to happen to maintain the momentum they do have, it does nothing but enforce the shareholder's argument that the Xbox division does nothing but lose money.

MS can also kiss exclusive deals, like Titanfall, goodbye at this point. 3rd party studios sure as hell aren't saying no to PS4 sales now.

The thing is that they will help move units regardless, even if not in as many numbers as the markets they're already available in. People tend to underestimate the cumulative value of being in the few extra markets that the Xbox One currently isn't available in.

There may be less total sales in those other markets, but they add up to further bolster stronger sales in other areas. Don't overlook what a 100k here or 50k there can mean for the bigger picture.

I know it will help move more but its really small that it barely matters even added up. It wont even be a million to put things into perspective. MS knows this which is why they will cut price at E3 because they need some serious movement of units.

Biker19

Banned
Well, the PS2 gen did give us an arrogant jackass Sony going into PS3 since PS2 was so dominant.

Doesn't mean that they'll easily be arrogant with PS5, especially when the company is trying to get itself back on it's feet financially.

Ken Kutaragi & the rest who were behind PS1, PS2, & PS3 are gone.

Well it's not a good look for the Xbox division after all the talk about wanting to sell it. When it's already at the point where a price drop needs to happen to maintain the momentum they do have, it does nothing but enforce the shareholder's argument that the Xbox division does nothing but lose money.

MS can also kiss exclusive deals, like Titanfall, goodbye at this point. 3rd party studios sure as hell aren't saying no to PS4 sales now.
But Titanfall isn't typical exclusive deal,you should use another example

Jomjom

Banned
Huh not sure PS4 will hit 1M a month for April then

Yeah I don't think there's any way for them to hit 1 million a month anymore. I'm seeing way more stock on the shelves in the US now (virtually everywhere). Demand is definitely starting to drop off. 600-700k a month WW is still ok, but disappointing.

There was an article awhile back around the launch dates that described roughly based on current manufacturing costs how much it would cost MS & Sony to build their consoles.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1320199

Not sure if this is the exact article, this is the quickest i could find while at work.
But if this a decent indicator, it looks like for every Xbox sold it makes 2.5 the profit.

Of course I'm looking at this from a macro (high) level, negating costs like advertising, etc.

That BOM break down is a joke since every where else has Kinect at $75 .
MS was not making $112 per system sold before all the price cuts and free games give away .

RoKKeR

So how doom and gloom is this? I mean, seems pretty sizable and good enough to me, it's just that in comparison to the PS4 it looks horrible.

I'm ok with such a big difference in sales if it means MS really starts to bring the heat. As an owner of both I'd prefer it that way, actually.

It's not the greatest if you consider that for a while there you could pick up a x1 with titanfall for $450, pricing it around the same as buying a PS4 with a game, even a bit less, and it still didn't outsell the PS4 and it still has plenty of stock on the shelves...

Wait, so do we now know for sure that the PS4 outsold the Xbox One in the month of March? - despite the One releasing, and even packing in the game with bundles at a discount, its most anticipated game of 2014?

Yikes. Can only imagine how many sales EA/Respawn lost out on by not releasing on the PS4 - wait, now that I think of it, its probably not so much Respawn who looses out, as I am sure they had to be compensated by Microsoft to go exclusive. I wonder if both Microsoft and Respawn would have made out better if they hadn't made that deal....

FDC1

Well they topped 7M April 6th. They sell near 1M a month. We're 18 days later. So it's not hard to believe they're around 7.5M right now.

Tigress

True but Microsoft doesn't just send palettes to companies with a bill. The distribution or purchasing manager works all that out. Look at Target as an example. They have a pretty tight system where inventory is heavily tracked & monitored. Items that would normally sit forever at competitor's stores are quickly placed on clearance if they aren't selling at Target.

And looking on Target right now, every store around me except one ( i live near Seattle) is sold out of the Xbox One. Meanwhile, PS4's are available at 75% of those same stores.

Edit: Looking at Best Buy and I guess they are the ones with all the consoles sitting on shelves! No wonder their company is struggling!

Well, I have no real answer using anectdotal evidence that doesn't look like I'm stretching, but I will say the numbers are saying that xbox one isn't selling as well as PS4 in general (neither in the US or worldwide). Even if they sold most of that 1.2 million, they're still almost 3 million behind PS4 (and they've only sold more than PS4 in NPD for one month when PS4 was inarguably supply constrained).

Target may be an anomaly, or they may be not ordering many xbox ones at this point cause it doesn't sell as well. They may have managed to at least sell through their first order. You say they have a tight inventory system, maybe they stopped ordering a lot after their first order and their system saw how fast it was selling where as Best Buy was more over zealous about how many they could sell. It may just be that xbox one is doing better locally (though not from the other stores I've seen in the area - I also live somewhere near Seattle ;) ). Hell, we do live in the area MS is based so I would hope their employees at least are enthused about the system and buying them.

I know my local Fred Meyer always has two xbox ones on display (right now a titanfall bundle and a green one) and occasionally they'll have a PS4 for sale. But the PS4 is always gone next time I look.

To be fair we are in a way different world now compared to then.

Regardless of how things have changed in the world, I simply don't see Sony bottoming-out as far as support for the PS4 if they completely start dominating the market come mid-late 2015.
They still have major first & second party development teams working on (sometimes multiple at a time) projects.
They have Project Morpheus.
They will have Playstation NOW.

I don't see it because in the two earlier generations when they dominated, Sony continued pushing support and development. They are still supporting the PS3 with content in its (almost) 8 years on the market even with the PS4 kicking ass.
Naturally I could be wrong, but I'm just going off of history of the brand and the confidence I have in the people running the show over there.

Well, the PS2 gen did give us an arrogant jackass Sony going into PS3 since PS2 was so dominant.

Yeah- and you know what? Sony took a beating, learned from it, recovered from it, and here we are.
You think those in the power positions want to make the same mistake? The majority of them aren't even the same people that were responsible for the early PS3 debacle.

Top Bottom