• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

p3tran

Banned
That's practically even, amazing considering the online campaign against the X1 before it released.

Congratulations Microsoft.

now, to be fair here, dat campaign... it was microsoft's do's and dont's that caused it in the first place.

as if hardware being not up to snuff (and i dont mean in relation to ps4, but to current gfx tech) wasnt enough, they sure had to fuck it up even further with them drm's.

given the above AND the price difference with the ps4, it could do much-much-much-much worse than what we see here, and everybody who says stuff like <<dead already>> is sure funny to read :)

microsft DOES have to fire up all cylinders to full though, unless they dont mind coming in a distant second in h/w sales, which inevitably at some point in time would mean second in s/w sales too.

It's dead Jim. Just look at it. It's barely tracking that much better than the U software. If that isn't ringing alarm bells, I don't know what will...

Yep Germany doesn't seem very interested in the XB1 or at least that's what the software charts show. A couple weeks with no XB1 titles charting in the Top 50 even

I should do something similar for the UK as it'd be less one-sided although Nintendo would somehow be even less relevant

this pathetic buzzword "sold in" to make it sound like sold. give it up.

For the last time, it's not a buzzword...it's official retail terminology.

I understand that the average consumer might mistake "sold in" for "sold to consumers," but it's a real term that is used in the corporate world.

Nintendo uses it. Sony uses it. Microsoft uses it. It's very common.

zebwinz

Retailers all the time buy more than they can sell. I work retail. I just griped today about why are they sending us more of this product when we already have way more than we can sell in overstock (I don't work anything related to video games but just using it as an example). So, yes, retailers do sometimes order more than they can sell of something (they aren't perfect).

Also, retailers so far have been showing they want to get rid of xbox's... they aren't discounting them to be nice ;). Best Buy apparently now is advertising that you can buy an xbox one for 400 dollars if you trade in your ps3 or xbox 360 for 50 dollars (and they specifically have said this is only for xbox one, not for PS4). That says to me Best Buy really wants to move some of them and get some space available for other stuff.

True but Microsoft doesn't just send palettes to companies with a bill. The distribution or purchasing manager works all that out. Look at Target as an example. They have a pretty tight system where inventory is heavily tracked & monitored. Items that would normally sit forever at competitor's stores are quickly placed on clearance if they aren't selling at Target.

And looking on Target right now, every store around me except one ( i live near Seattle) is sold out of the Xbox One. Meanwhile, PS4's are available at 75% of those same stores.

Edit: Looking at Best Buy and I guess they are the ones with all the consoles sitting on shelves! No wonder their company is struggling!

Kysen

Market share is everything now that both companies have pay walls in place. This early boost Sony is getting is crazy.

Still selling pretty well despite people holding a grudge because of their first plans. As long as it sells consistently and makes MS a profit, it's not like anything is affected by losing to the PS4 except MS' ego.

I love this numbers sold game people here love to get hard on.

Looking at it on a cost by profit basis, Im pretty sure MS has made the same if not close to what Sony has selling 5.1M versus Sony's 7M. So what if Sony has 7M?

In the end, all that really matters is how much money it brings the company. In either case both MS & Sony have made a shit ton. It just took MS a lot less sold to get there.

I understand that the average consumer might mistake "sold in" for "sold to consumers," but it's a real term that is used in the corporate world.

you know damn well this will have to be explained hundreds of more times, Aquamarine. :p

Pretty impressive considering all of the bungling and negativity. Now, they just have to, at least, match their direct competitor's price level and improve across the board for the rest of the gen.

Xbox brand lost all the advantage it had in US and UK and now is outsold everywhere on the planet. I don't know if I would call it impressive. Yes, it might have been even worse, but that doesn't mean much in the big picture...

allan-bh

When the number is 5 million, no it's not. Retailers aren't just going to keep ordering systems if they are not moving what they have on the shelf.

Which is exactly why retailers were trying to shift the green box to make room for the Titanfall bundle.

The system is moving. With 900k on shelves, retailers ordered another 1.2m.

Yep Germany doesn't seem very interested in the XB1 or at least that's what the software charts show. A couple weeks with no XB1 titles charting in the Top 50 even

I should do something similar for the UK as it'd be less one-sided although Nintendo would somehow be even less relevant

Can't say I'm too surprised though. The fears surrounding Kinect, online and the price pretty much killed any chance the X1 had of mirroring the 360's performance in the country.

I'd love to see one for the UK if you have the time.

Majanew

Banned
M$ and its buzzwords! You ain't foolin' nobody!

Har! Xbox One is doing good. It's just that its competition is on fire.

Xbox brand lost all the advantage it had in US and UK and now is outsold everywhere on the planet. I don't know if I would call it impressive. Yes, it might have been even worse, but that doesn't mean much in the big picture...

Depends how it looks later, there is still a chance for MS to take the U.S.

hawk2025

Man, the whole "impressive considering *insert thing here that's obviously crucial*" is sounding a heck of a lot like the old joke:

"Other than what happened, Mrs. Lincoln felt that the opera was fantastic!"

Biker19

Banned
Pretty impressive considering all of the bungling and negativity. Now, they just have to, at least, match their direct competitor's price level and improve across the board for the rest of the gen.

I don't know about that. A million+ Xbox One consoles sold to consumers in nearly 4 months after December, as well as having hundreds of thousands of Xbox One consoles in stock,

Vs.

3+ million PS4 consoles sold to consumers in that same time-frame with most of the stock being sold out outside of America.

Not looking good for MS there.

Raide

well I said unless it launches in December :p

I guess the question is will people be buying a Wii-U to play the game, or do they already have the console and just want the game? I am sure it will shift a good few units but it will have to do crazy number to reverse the Wii-U's fortunes.

Thank you. I have been saying this forever. Since you carry more weight around here, maybe it will start to sink in. I've been trying to explain to everyone the terms certain retailers have with "the big 3", but it falls on deaf ears.

Eh, I'm not going to guess how much advantage they've lost this early in the gen, but knowing how generations play out, the big picture isn't going to be clear for a while. Just because Sony has them beat on the first six months of sales doesn't mean that the number they've managed is not impressive compared to past launches. If you wanna paint a credible doomsday scenario for any current platform, Wii U or Vita are still right there.

More than that...

3 mil from 2013 + 700k us so far in 2014 =3.7mil

The other 12 markets are surely over 300k this year, UK alone should be close to 300k going by the pal charts afaik.

Yeah I seriously doubt that

http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...surpass-nintendo-wiis-uk-sales-record-1131356

MVC has reported that the Xbox 360 has now surpassed 8 million sales in the United Kingdom, putting it in line to overtake the Nintendo Wii's record for sales among the current crop 'within weeks'.

That was as of February of 2013. In essence UK represented probably ~10% of 360's WW LTD. Since the US represented about 50% of the 360's WW LTD, you would expect something more like 145k from the UK

Can't say I'm too surprised though. The fears surrounding Kinect, online and the price pretty much killed any chance the X1 had of mirroring the 360's performance in the country.

I'd love to see one for the UK if you have the time.

Well I made the charts due to having spare time at work so can't make them until I find more time

Probably tomorrow :)

Ingeniero

Those are actually good numbers for Microsoft.
I hope they keep on doing alright, and improve if possible.
It's not good for gamers for a single company to dominate the market.

What makes you say this?

There was an article awhile back around the launch dates that described roughly based on current manufacturing costs how much it would cost MS & Sony to build their consoles.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1320199

Not sure if this is the exact article, this is the quickest i could find while at work.
But if this a decent indicator, it looks like for every Xbox sold it makes 2.5 the profit.

Of course I'm looking at this from a macro (high) level, negating costs like advertising, etc.

Biker19

Banned
Those are actually good numbers for Microsoft.
I hope they keep on doing alright, and improve if possible.
It's not good for gamers for a single company to dominate the market.

Look at the NES. The PS1. The PS2. The Gameboy/Game Boy Color. Game Boy Advance. Nintendo DS. Nintendo 3DS.

All dominated the competition greatly in worldwide sales.

Not to mention who says Sony will stay at $399 if Microsoft matches? How hard would it be (it's a question -- I don't know) for them to drop to $349?

I don't see Sony doing something as drastic as going to $349 this year if MS goes to $399. They'd probably just start bundling in a game or a year of Plus or something in response- enough to keep an edge in value, but not enough to hit their bottom line too hard.

If MS waits until next year to go to $399, though, I can definitely see Sony taking that as their cue to go to $349 or even $299.

That's practically even, amazing considering the online campaign against the X1 before it released.

Congratulations Microsoft.
Well that's exactly right, upJTboogie. They've had an unfairly tough, uphill battle on account of the rhetoric spread out by a small, vocal minority of internet malcontents. Ultimately though the truth came out, no one can deny MS's HW skills and the train's going to keep rolling.

I guess the question is will people be buying a Wii-U to play the game, or do they already have the console and just want the game? I am sure it will shift a good few units but it will have to do crazy number to reverse the Wii-U's fortunes.

Obviously the latter, but the holiday boost would carry Wii U to 500k in December anyway.

They would have to sell the Xbox One at a lower price than its competitor (Nearly impossible). Even the casual gamer knows it's the weaker console of the two...

I think they only need to match but we have to see how things look later. Casuals knew xbox og was more powerful than ps2 but that didnt help MS.

Of course it won't. That ship has sailed. They should have gone with a WW launch from the outset if they wanted to have any hope of trying to keep the gap somewhat close. By not doing so, they've given Sony a 9+ month head-start and it's one that will be insurmountable.

It's dead Jim. Just look at it. It's barely tracking that much better than the U software. If that isn't ringing alarm bells, I don't know what will...

No dude it's fine. It sold millions in it's opening month! Doesn't matter how well it's doing now, it's the overall number that really matters.

Jomjom

Banned
At its price and with how few markets its available in, that's pretty damn good.

Agree that given it's price it's doing really damn well. I think MS is not as concerned as everyone is assuming because I doubt they even expected this great of sales at $499.

Don't agree with the markets comment. Those 13 countries make up the vast majority of countries that buy the Xbox in any significant number. T2 launch will be a blip.

Top Bottom