• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Exec Acknowledges Setting “Wrong Expectations” With Recent Inside Xbox

Holammer

My first reaction to the presentation was "Don't they focus group test this sort of shit anymore?".
MS could save themselves a lot of trouble if they did, instead of just listening to "social media experts".

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
When the marketing team from Xbox are not real gamers these things happen.
It’s not the first and believe me won’t be the last unless they revise And tbh it needs an audit for marketing team advertising words or misleading titles .. do not underestimate the power of advertisements and marketing when the right person is there

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It’s not the first and believe me won’t be the last unless they revise And tbh it needs an audit for marketing team advertising words or misleading titles .. do not underestimate the power of advertisements and marketing when the right guy is there

Thing is even Phil had to sign off on this right?

Can't tell me no one there at Xbox thought to themselves "Hey this isn't what I consider game play."

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Thing is even Phil had to sign off on this right?

Can't tell me no one there at Xbox thought to themselves "Hey this isn't what I consider game play."

they all know , it’s a big company not a grocery store .. the thing is they knew but they thought it’s ok to fool people due to having a powerful console and this is wrong power isn’t enough unless you have games to support your claims , other than that why should I believe you if you keep repeating the same mistake ! It’s not a big deal just take your time and then show me the gameplay ...

So many clever people being paid obscene amounts of money, getting something so simple, so wrong...
Microsoft products are sometimes bad, sometimes good. But a constant is that the Microsoft Marketing division appear to constantly sabotage the hard work of other departments. As far as i can remember, at least 50% of what MS get fans upset about are relating to their marketting. Saying the wrong things, coming up with bad slogans like "Beta Tested in the Future", or showing split screen gameplay in their TV ads for games that don't offer split screen. Even the Xbox All Digital advert was strange, ending with a character complaining about why the Disc reader slot was gone.

Great Hair

Banned
If they didn´t hype up the event beyond expectations, no one would be pissed ... just mildly disappointed. And now they´re playing again that "victim card", even though it was microsoft themselves who pushed this narrative.

Bullshit.

They knew the show they put out had fuckall gameplay but they hyped it to the high heavens regardless.

This statement is nothing but damage control on a pias poor showing of so called next gen games. They should have led with a 1st party title and held off on these 3rd parties until a later date.

If they didn´t hype up the event beyond expectations, no one would be pissed ... just mildly disappointed. And now they´re playing again that "victim card", even though it was microsoft themselves who pushed this narrative.

Exactly.

Last edited:
#FireGreenberg

Been saying this shit for years.

The show was fine for what it was. We got to see what some indie studios could do with next gen. Just gets me hyped for the 1st party stuff. I do think they should have started out with more of a bang. I do think doing a show monthly is a bad idea, but it may be necessary at this point given COVID-19 circumstances. It's definitely better than nothing.

As for the hashtag...people need to realize that Aaron Greenberg has been here at least since Xbox One's launch. Marketing wasn't always even at this level. It used to be worse. So while I've been satisfied with the XsX marketing, I did not forget that Aaron Greenberg was probably behind alot of the issues with Xbox One's early years.
I remember him taking constant shots at Sony on social media platforms along with his exec team during the Xbox 360 years.
He went into hiding since PS4 took control of this gen and have not heard a peep out of this fat weasel until recently.
He needed to be kicked out with Don Mattrick.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think it doesn't help that we are all in lockdown waiting for something to get us truly excited for next gen. they worded it wrong and I just hope this could see them try to make amends and show us something very good very soon

Relativ9

Good on them for fessing up to the mistake, I still don't know how they let this shit happen in the first place, but at least they're not hiding from the fuckup. In July I expect to see long 10min+ gameplay demo's of 2-3 AAA exclusive next-gen games.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
They wont change a thing, this has been going on with all of these companies for a long time. And they have to stop saying gameplay when they mean in game rendered.

TLZ

Banned
really%2Bnigga.jpg

So they had all that time setting us up knowing exactly what they were doing, then that's what they come up with? Well I'm glad the backlash happened then. They know they can't fool people. Next time choose your words right.

MiguelItUp

Good for them. The whole gameplay thing was incredibly stupid. I don't know how they even allowed that to happen with such a large team. It's like people still saw the reel and were like, "Yup, that's gameplay." Lmao.

Pantz

I think the majority of the blame lay on Assassin's Creed and whoever marketed it as a gameplay trailer. It was the big ticket item and just about came off as a straight up lie. Microsoft overhyped the show a bit but the other games actually did have some gameplay and were pretty cool. If AC was taken out of the show completely I think it would have gotten a better reaction even with the overhyping.

Fake

Living and learn. At least they admit. Just make a modest pr and move on.

But some people here were insistent they didn't do this and that it was our fault for expecting the event to be good.

That was the best part lmao. Modern war have friendly fire I guess.

edit: OMG I read the first post lmao.

Last edited:

Karak

Couple of things could also help this stuff in the future. For every single game shown there needs to be a link in chat on twitch or whatever as well as any video that links to a nice high res version of what they are showing. Twitch was a disaster when it comes to its resolution and fps which can be a thing.
Youtube was even borked compared to native stuff. Also if your game is showcasing as HDR or higher than 60fps you have an issue already just due to what device/browser/service people are watching on in the first place.

Also ya just say "Showing some stuff" Everything is so spread out right now that getting attention for a specific date is hard so people oversell. Its going to get much worse before it gets better, so sitting back and letting stuff flow is going to pay off versus trying to pretend your pumpkin is a fucking stage coach.

Lastly, the gameplay thing versus shown in the engine so we will call it gameplay. Companies just have to start biting the bullet and knowing most gamers see through that now. Have a nice mix if you need to do that but boy if it's not 25% of whatever you are claiming, gamers will flay you.

On the tech side. People just also need to temper the fuck out of their expectations for a while. We will get a very few amazing titles that showcase changes and MANY that don't. Power doesn't magically equal improved looks, better asset creation and otherwise.

Business

Personally, I was more disappointed in the games themselves. Regardless of whether they showed cut scenes, game play, or simulated gameplay, these games just were not a good show case for convincing anyone that they need a new superflopping expensive console.

Exactly, the problem is not expectations. Show a bunch of cinematics and shovelware and blame the poor reactions on wrong expectations. No sorry, the problem was that what they showed simply sucked.

Arkam

Glad they see that misleading the audience by promising one thing and delivering another is frowned upon. On the plus side they probably now feel compelled to have a real blowout next time to make up for it.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
TBH Ass Creed set the wrong expectations, I didn't expect only gameplay from every game. It's a bit early compared to regular E3 times to have many gameplay demos, let alone now with coronavirus.

Also didn't feel much of the 12 Tflops next-gen goodness from these third party games.

Honestly, a small bump in what has been good and clear messaging otherwise from MS.
I think MS messaging has been great for the upcoming generation, they've been doing the right things which is showing some good trailers early you have to give your fan base the roadmap to start the hype

Sony should start showing early too but they've been impressing with games for the current generation still

With that said, I'm looking forward to June and July

longdi

Banned
Good that MS is open to admissions and suggestions. :messenger_bicep:
It was just wrong expectations, this always happens with the Internet meme patrol, especially so when many bored at home now.

Last edited:
I really appreciate Xbox's openness and candidness. Even when they do a slight misstep like this, they just freely admit the mistake rather than try to spin it. Some other companies out there could learn a thing or two from their approach *cough*

First post takes the thread 👍

I mean transparency matters. They know they kinda shit the bed on the messaging and it has taken away from some pretty cool games they showed off yesterday. What Microsoft should be doing is apologizing to the developers who were in the video. Each one of them had to have been mislead too and because their game was shown in a video that the public is universally saying was misleading the excitement for their games could very well suffer. For some of these folks this was the big reveal and it totally fell flat because of Microsofts misfire on messaging the entire event. That is bad for everyone.

I strongly doubt that. If you go look at the individual trailers for the games, the vast majority have a very good like-to-dislike ratio. Majority of them seem they've actually been fairly received as far as the merit of the games themselves.

The one that's been bombed is Valhalla, and rightfully so. Because that's the one which really shat the bed in terms of being a complete 180 from expectations. I'm just wondering if MS decided to keep saying "gameplay" of their own volition or if Ubisoft put a proverbial gun to their head 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Personally, I was more disappointed in the games themselves. Regardless of whether they showed cut scenes, game play, or simulated gameplay, these games just were not a good show case for convincing anyone that they need a new superflopping expensive console.
You are going to white a long time for those games from third parties. You get those when the devs do their second/third games on the console. When there exists an install base that is dozens of millions and not under ten million. Which should not be a surprise, because it's the same every generation. For the first few years of a new console the first party games have to shine. And a second party title or two for good measure. Third parties will for the next two to three years be almost all cross-gen. Because they actually want to sell copies, not just have pretty games. And it might take even longer this time, because we had midgen refreshes for the consoles, so adoption of next gen will probably be much slower than from last gen to current gen, where we had no new hardware for eight years.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Good old Xbox marketing hype and then disappoint. Hopefully their first party is going to look great. We can't blame them for the what was shown, but we can blame the stupid hype.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I would be happy with one huge event filled with games, demos and useful information. They don't have to do the same thing as Microsoft to be more successful.
Yeah, all they have to do is show 4-5 new games (some 1st party) and continue to carry the mindshare

Bullshit.

They knew the show they put out had fuckall gameplay but they hyped it to the high heavens regardless.

This statement is nothing but damage control on a pias poor showing of so called next gen games. They should have led with a 1st party title and held off on these 3rd parties until a later date.

Exactly.
That was hyped to high heaven? Some of you guys need to get a grip.

agreed. they were almost all indie game and the best visuals of all was the first game they showed that was developed by one person.

im expecting Hellblade 2 trailer level graphics and what they showed was current gen quality for the most part. They need to show Halo, Fable, Forza, and some AAA 3rd party games to give people a real taste

Yeah, all they have to do is show 4-5 new games (some 1st party) and continue to carry the mindshare

I really hope they show the sequel to Horizon soon. In my opinion it should be one of the first next gen open world games that we will see. It should be a good indication of what next gen visuals will be lack for openworld games.

MilkyJoe

Anyone that is "pissed" over watching an hour of trailers, teasers and some gameplay of next gen, really needs to slam their fingers in a draw.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Had MS just done a cheap title screen tease for Fable like Nintendo did for Metroid Prime 4, nobody would be bitching right now. A little more Everwild footage too would have been a treat.

Gamers are too fickle.

Personally, the trailers for The Medium and especially Scorn both have me super excited. They made my night.

KiNeMz

Banned
I can't help but think that the approach is to get the lower received marketing out of the way so it's only up from here on. Let's hope.

At some stage they need to market these games. Was now the time? Obviously not. This was the thime shine and show the big guns.

I seem to ponder whether the plan is to hit high closer to launch. It seems you are only remembered by the last marketing push. Ms getting this part out of the way early maybe a smart move. Let's see what Sony does

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t think this is really the problem.

They set the wrong expectations by promising the world, and not (for now) incremental upgrades. Had they come forth and said that game development is complex, takes time to ramp up, and that this is a beginning with the best looking versions of games available today, I think things would have gone a lot better.

Also, quite a few of the game choices were... questionable. If they couldn’t unveil bigger, better looking games at this time, they should have waited. We really needed more Assassin’s/Dirt level games in terms of notoriety and showcasing visuals.

Also did you notice, the ubisoft's video of the trailer is at 60fps meanwhile Series X version of the trailer is at 30fps. Someone please tell me it's 60fps on series X

Drewpee

Banned
InsideXbox_New_HERO-1.jpg

On Twitter, head of marketing at Xbox Aaron Greenberg issued a response to criticism, saying that Microsoft “set some wrong expectations” and that they are listening to the consequent feedback, and will ensure that they take it all in and learn from it for future events. You can see his tweet below.

4oCpwCO.png

Soon companies are going to start dropping info without any type of announcement.

Once that happens gamers will complain that they didn't know about the event and couldn't get excited as a result. It is a never ending cycle, nothing will ever be good enough because companies spend too much time listening to cry babies.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Disappointing yes but some companies have done worse at lot worse at E3, but that's no excuse.
Sort it out Xbox. Just employ someone off here, its that simple.

Alebrije

I have a bad feeling about those games , gameplay or not the games were bland. The only one that looks interesting is the Alien / Prometeus like one.
But did not see something different ...most of them loked like clones of current games.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Also did you notice, the ubisoft's video of the trailer is at 60fps meanwhile Series X version of the trailer is at 30fps. Someone please tell me it's 60fps on series X

Doesn’t look like it, at least for now (this stuff might be tentative). Take a look at the official Xbox site.

4HjJ1lI.jpg

d2pyxXa.jpg

Notice how 60 FPS is highlighted for Bright Memory and other games, but not Assassin’s Creed? Hopefully this changes, or Series X has some absolutely wowing visual effects to make up for the difference.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Expectations were mixed as there was an Xbox tweet saying next gen gameplay, then a different one saying gameplay, teasers and trailers.

Regardless, like many game shows way too may in-game replay videos.

I don't get why it so hard for devs to do things like Diablo alpha builds where they show some early footage of hack and slash gameplay, even if 90% of the game isn't even set yet. That Ascent game seemed to do it. Most other games in the show were cutscene-ish stuff.

Just imagine going to a car show, and instead of seeing the car, sitting in the car, checking out the back seat and trunk, and even getting a brochure..... the entire convention centre is just a bunch of PC monitors with tv ads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom