• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Exec Acknowledges Setting “Wrong Expectations” With Recent Inside Xbox

Oh your the young one if you expected anything from a 3rd party show case on a inside xbox show. I did not even bother to watch because I knew there was nothing. If there was it would be a real show with a lineup and communication to the press. Been around since pong lol this was easy to spot as a lot about nothing. If you could read what they said and been around for a few generations.
Like I said before. Read the examples of the MS tweets on this show in this thread and then come back and respond.
Aaron Greengerg already admitted they made a mistake with the expectations they set via their social media channels regarding this show.
Also take a hike if you're interested in trolling and not the discussion.

Last edited:

Redlight

I disagree and don't think there is anything that Xbox could have done to not have received some type of backlash.

Sony fans are generally upset because they know the PS5 is not exactly what they want it to be. We can play word games about the SSD and other secret sauces but 99% of Sony fans know the truth. Some of those fans are DYING for a reason to throw shade at Microsoft and this situation was enough.

Now Sony fans have absolutely erupted like this is a giant scandal and Xbox just screwed them out of gameplay that they just wanted to shit on anyway. Some gamers are literally calling for people to lose their jobs. It is obscene and disgusting.

As an Xbox gamer I am perfectly happy with what they showed. It is fair to criticize not showing enough gameplay but not to the level we have seen here. It is forced and feels fake.

This is exactly right. I'm sure plenty of MS fans were disappointed by the lack of actual gameplay however the reactions here have been extremely overwrought (surprise, surprise). The truth is that whatever MS showed it was going to get a lot of flack on GAF and most of it from people who have zero interest in the platform.

Aidah

The worst part is when at the beginning of the stream they stressed the "actual gameplay" point, and them reading "the interwebs" and knowing that it's what people want to see.

For what it was presumably supposed to accomplish, the show was worse than doing no show at all.

I have no idea how they couldn't predict the reaction.

Also, send your employees some half decent mics and cams. The quality doesn't have to be that low.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
They've been promoting the XBOX brand for 20 years and they still haven't figured it out?
If it's a games event, show gameplay.
If it's a hardware event, show hardware.
And get rid of the half dozen goofy hosts.
Then shut the fuck up.

5AfZ2jJ.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
The fault is to share between gamers who were expecting big reveals on a 45 min crappy direct and microsoft who maybe choose the wrong words to describe the event but it's nice that they acknoledge their mistake.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Ubisoft is the biggest problem of the event.
So much hype for a "gameplay" that actually isn't almost gameplay at all

Mista

Banned
The problem of the last Inside Xbox was they showed lots of indie. The show was about to show how powerful the nee console is. It is powerful but they didn’t take advantage of that. Or lets say the third party didn’t take advantage of that because MS can’t control what third party devs shows. People were mostly hyped to see Assassin’s Creed gameplay but ended up having in-game footage of the environment. When the time comes for MS to start showing the exclusives, they better not repeat what the third party devs did in the last Inside Xbox. Won’t say I didn’t leave satisfied though. Came in with 0 expectations, left with Scarlet Nexus and Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Back in Bethesda's glory days, Elder Scrolls had all its trailers being in-game graphics. it worked every time, up to Skyrim.

Then the Elder Scrolls MMO came out, and that game had CGI cutscenes with no in-game graphics at all. And that's when you know things changed.

If a game doesn't dare show the in-game footage, then there is something wrong with the game.

Droxcy

They stated world wide premiere of Xbox Series X Gameplay and showed in-game engine not a scripted mission or something of that nature.

Still love Xbox but how can they'll bounce back for the standard E3 showings.

Andodalf

Banned
Back in Bethesda's glory days, Elder Scrolls had all its trailers being in-game graphics. it worked every time, up to Skyrim.

Then the Elder Scrolls MMO came out, and that game had CGI cutscenes with no in-game graphics at all. And that's when you know things changed.

If a game doesn't dare show the in-game footage, then there is something wrong with the game.

Way to speak about something you are clueless in, having flashy CGI to promote a MMO launch or expansion is absolutely par for the Course, from WoW to FFXIV to SWtOR to ESO. ESO is pretty highly lauded at this point, and constantly in the race for the #2 MMO behind Wow.

Additionally, ESO isn't even made by the actual Bethesda soft works
Additionally, Fallout 4, the game they actual made after skyrim, had an in game reveal.
Additionally, Fallout 76, a game which is almost universally hated, had an in game reveal. (Even though this is mostly done by a side studio)

I get Bethesda = bad is the hot circlejerk post Fallout 4, and especially after 76, but you gotta find a better angle

D.Final

Banned
The problem of the last Inside Xbox was they showed lots of indie. The show was about to show how powerful the nee console is. It is powerful but they didn’t take advantage of that. Or lets say the third party didn’t take advantage of that because MS can’t control what third party devs shows. People were mostly hyped to see Assassin’s Creed gameplay but ended up having in-game footage of the environment. When the time comes for MS to start showing the exclusives, they better not repeat what the third party devs did in the last Inside Xbox. Won’t say I didn’t leave satisfied though. Came in with 0 expectations, left with Scarlet Nexus and Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Also this
But Ubisoft.....

oldergamer

Oh my goodness, the ridiculous things im seeing people say about ms showing games.

Microsoft is getting flak for third party titles that people think doesn't show off the system enough? On what earth does this make sense? We all knew this showing had no first party games, and still showed some impressive and interesting games ( mostly made by indie studios)

In no way was this a bad showing. Showing new games is never a bad thing. Does it show off the system, no not really. First party has to do that.

To those people saying sony is going to mop the floor with them, whats your reasoning for saying that? You think sony first party is going to mop the floor with xbox third party games? Well that is a dumb comparison. It will be first party vs first party. Like always.

D.Final

Banned
Oh my goodness, the ridiculous things im seeing people say about ms showing games.

Microsoft is getting flak for third party titles that people think doesn't show off the system enough? On what earth does this make sense? We all knew this showing had no first party games, and still showed some impressive and interesting games ( mostly made by indie studios)

In no way was this a bad showing. Showing new games is never a bad thing. Does it show off the system, no not really. First party has to do that.

To those people saying sony is going to mop the floor with them, whats your reasoning for saying that? You think sony first party is going to mop the floor with xbox third party games? Well that is a dumb comparison. It will be first party vs first party. Like always.

True

Top Bottom