• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Exec Acknowledges Setting “Wrong Expectations” With Recent Inside Xbox

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree and don't think there is anything that Xbox could have done to not have received some type of backlash.

Sony fans are generally upset because they know the PS5 is not exactly what they want it to be. We can play word games about the SSD and other secret sauces but 99% of Sony fans know the truth. Some of those fans are DYING for a reason to throw shade at Microsoft and this situation was enough.

Now Sony fans have absolutely erupted like this is a giant scandal and Xbox just screwed them out of gameplay that they just wanted to shit on anyway. Some gamers are literally calling for people to lose their jobs. It is obscene and disgusting.

As an Xbox gamer I am perfectly happy with what they showed. It is fair to criticize not showing enough gameplay but not to the level we have seen here. It is forced and feels fake.

Oh... I didn't think this was going to turn into some dumb console war bullshit when I replied to you.

The content was fine as a showcase of upcoming Xbox games. The way they described it as "first look at next-gen gameplay" was what caused disappointment for most people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drewpee

Banned
Oh... I didn't think this was going to turn into some dumb console war bullshit when I replied to you.

The content was fine as a showcase of upcoming Xbox games. The way they described it as "first look at next-gen gameplay" was what caused disappointment for most people.

Being able to observe and comment does not equal console war bullshit. Look at my previous posts and you will see that is not me, but I will also call a spade and spade and what I see here is obvious.

My main issue is the level to which this has risen. When you start calling for people to lose their jobs that is a step too far and goes beyond just being a fan of your hobby.

I agree that it is fair to criticize because they didn't show much gameplay. As an AC fan I was bummed they didnt show more gameplay as advertised myself but this was not some mishandled scandal that has rocked Xbox and it seems like so many need it to be that.

Verchod

It seems they reacted to people wanting to see something Next-gen. I guess they shouldn't have given in, purely because the caliber of the games shown want that high really. It's unfortunate for them as they don't seem to gauge these things very well.

I was more disappointed at the style of gameplay rather than the graphics, just too generic for me.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
4oCpwCO.png

MUAHAHAHAH, Greenberg expects us to believe that they regret performing a successful multimedia campaign that got everybody talking about XSX this week.

He is lying, and if you are too naive to recognize it, you still don't understand how these businesses work.

They had EA/Madden/QB dude on the event; QB dude gets paid 500K per instagram post, how much do you think he got for this appearance? Considering the budget, this means there was a clear attempt at gathering as many eyes as they could on the event, so the marketing campaign was clearly planned. In designing this marketing campaign, they clearly laid out expectations that they KNEW were not going to be met; the wording and the current times (cancellation of E3) was strategic. Saying "i am sorry" after the fact doesn't change anything about it. They hyped their lame event knowing it wasn't the show people were hoping for during this time of the year.

If anything, they are "sorry" they are being called out. That is the discussion they are having right now. They made the XSX look like a half step upgrade over the current gen, which fucked up all the momentum they had built up until now. They don't give two shits about lying to making you watch that event at 8 AM.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My main issue is the level to which this has risen. When you start calling for people to lose their jobs that is a step too far and goes beyond just being a fan of your hobby.

There are always going to be idiots on the Internet that take things way too far. It's best to just ignore them. I guarantee you Microsoft is.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I knew it was going to be an AA focused show and once Ashraf Ismail said that Valhalla was going to be a gameplay teaser trailer, my expectations were lowered considerably. With that said, I enjoyed the showcase for what it was. A good 7.0/10 for me as I added five games with three of them being guaranteed purchases. My biggest complaint was Valhalla but whatever, Ubisoft is having their own showcase in June so just have to wait an extra month.

I consider myself a pretty big xbox fan and i found yesterday’s showcase to be a bore. They led on with next gen gameplay and we got a handful of snippets followed with 90% heavily scripted scenery. And mainly from indies and B-AA developers at that.
I don't co consider your self
I'm an xbox fan. I was disappointed with everything I saw, though there are some interesting concepts in those 3rd party games.

So, am I pathetic SDF member?
YES

Drewpee

Banned
There are always going to be idiots on the Internet that take things way too far. It's best to just ignore them. I guarantee you Microsoft is.

That is fair but sometimes a topic hits you and you just want to share your opinion on the issue. I read a few too many posts about people being fired and it bothered me.

Not to be personal but I am in management with my company and we have been forced to make very hard decisions lately that have had real impacts on the lives of our employees. That comes to mind when I read posts saying someone should lose their job. Most posts I ignore but noone is perfect 🙃

Sw0pDiller

They shouldn't listen to "fans" that push for employees to be fired because a third party gameplay event didn't meet their expectations.
People who are demanding somebody to be fired are truly disconnected from normal emotions
Some gamers are disgusting with their sense of entitlement
Yeah but I feel the same for some very big YouTube influencers. Or professional game journalists for that matter.

godhandiscen

Yes; they WANTED to have an event get almost universally panned, downvoted and shit talked until they had to make their account private, etc.

You sir are a business wizard, I commend your sorcery.

I added the following for you to understand what I mean:

If anything, they are "sorry" they are being called out. That is the discussion they are having right now. They made the XSX look like a half step upgrade over the current gen, which fucked up all the momentum they had built up until now. They don't give two shits about lying to making you watch that event at 8 AM.

PS: I have been successful on a few businesses myself, I work on the tech side of marketing, building a product used by multiple Fortune 500 companies. These are the kind of discussions we have.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I added the following for you to understand what I mean:

LOL.. somehow that makes more sense now? They made their product look like a half-step upgrade... but all you think they care about is being called out for "lying"? And you think it was "successful" still?

PS: I have been successful on a few businesses myself, I work on the tech side of marketing, building a product used by multiple Fortune 500 companies. These are the kind of discussions we have.

lol

Last edited:

godhandiscen

LOL.. somehow that makes more sense now? They made their product look like a half-step upgrade... but all you think they care about is being called out for "lying"? And you think it was "successful" still?

lol

Because the common consumer, doesn't have an idea of what the expectations are for a generational leap and probably do not get the same sense of disappointment users of this board get.
The event was a success by most angles. Greenberg posting that they regret setting high expectations is just the PR he has to do to keep the pulse with the enthusiast user base.

What is your opinion on this matter btw?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think MS owes us a taste of first party right now. Just show me Fable and we will forget about yesterday.

Codes 208

I have no dog in this argument but you just gave me a huge “my uncle works at nintendo” vibe by saying this.
I don't co consider your self
Then by what definition do you consider a big fan? defense force and console warriors who refuse to listen to any legitimate criticism because they take what the businessmen of their plastic box say and do as gospel? Thats not a fan, thats a fanboy.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

lol

I hope you appreciate how fortunate we poor naive miscreants are to get an education in marketing from such a successful and esteemed business person. :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles:

godhandiscen

I have no dog in this argument but you just gave me a huge “my uncle works at nintendo” vibe by saying this.

It's okay. I realize now that it doesn't help my argument since shit can't be corroborated, and I would never want my real identity associated with my GAF account.

However, it's actually through my career experiences that I realized how much of a fool I was as a consumer.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
We got gameplay from at least 4 games, it was the expectation of ACV gameplay in comparison to what was delivered that screwed things up. Now that I look back at the tweets, it looks like it was more Ubisoft's deal. They had people hyped since April 30th to see gameplay from ACV, one of the biggest AAA franchises, but they showed no gameplay at all.

Last edited:

Codes 208

We got gameplay from at least 4 games, it was the expectation of ACV gameplay in comparison to what was delivered that screwed things up. Now that I look back at the tweets, it looks like it was more Ubisoft's deal. They had people hyped since April 30th to see gameplay from ACV, one of the biggest AAA franchises, but they showed no gameplay at all.

I mean, that tweet from xbox also implies gameplay in general. They dont exactly say “come and watch our pre-rendered cinematic trailers!”

Zannegan

Greenberg is awful, but that's not news.

They knew what they were doing. There's a line in the video where they say something like, "And because we read the internet, we're going to be showing you gameplay."

I refuse to believe that when they offered gameplay, they truly thought gamers were itching to see "in-engine" trailers running on PCs that are meant to approximate final XSX performance. They wanted eyes on the showcase, and they knew how to get them.

Maybe Greenberg and co figured that once people saw the graphics, they'd forget about the promised gameplay in their hype. And if not, well, there's no such thing as bad press.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I mean, that tweet from xbox also implies gameplay in general. They dont exactly say “come and watch our pre-rendered cinematic trailers!”
They showed gameplay from Bright Memory, Second Extinction, The Ascent, and Scarlet Nexus. That's at least 4 games, and if they had ended with even a tiny clip of gameplay laced into the ACV in-engine cinematic trailer everything would have been fine.

For posterity's sake, here's gameplay from each of those games at the timestamp that shows it...
Bright Memory-> whole clip

Second Extinction-> 0:26

The Ascent-> -0:51

Scarlet Nexus-> 1:10

Ubisoft created false expections starting late last month. Somebody from MS needed to review the video and say, "Hey, this isn't gameplay", but instead they ended the video with an interview and talked like it was gameplay. Some overly-excited patsy, "Wow! I have like a hundred questions about the game after seeing that!"

I was like...comrade, it's fucking Assassins Creed Odyssey with viking shit instead of greek shit. How many questions could possibly have?
Nikolay_Valuev_2018-11-21.jpg

RPS37

After watching the DF video I can explain where The Xbox team fucked up yesterday.
The way they showed the trailers didn’t tell us flat out why we should be excited by what we were seeing. A lot of more interesting info came out from press releases after the trailers were shown.
Also just straight up, they promised gameplay and gave us trailers with minimal gameplay.

Romulus

Personally, I was more disappointed in the games themselves. Regardless of whether they showed cut scenes, game play, or simulated gameplay, these games just were not a good show case for convincing anyone that they need a new superflopping expensive console.

Toss up for me. I'm equally disappointed in the gameplay/direction and the graphics.

Xenon

MS needs listen to Burr,

Talk less, Show more...

Don't let them get overhyped for what's in store.

Ten_Fold

I think they could've added a small snippet of Halo or Fable at the end and announced a date for when they will show those games, anyways at least the said hey we messed up. Some companies will try to spin it.

I hope you meant that as a joke.

While I personally wasn't disappointed other than AssCreed, other Xbox fans can be disappointed without being considered "pathetic SDF members"

The main disappointment was No In House games and the poor quality of the video feed . Other than that is was a nice collection of games and the likes of Dirt 5 looked great .

Dee_Dee

Well...at least he acknowledged it. So there’s that. For their sake they better not screw up the July showing

Thanati

Thing is even Phil had to sign off on this right?

Can't tell me no one there at Xbox thought to themselves "Hey this isn't what I consider game play."
This!

when I see people saying, “oh well, at least they apologized”, I have to laugh. MS signed off on it and thought it was a good idea.They messed up.

Then by what definition do you consider a big fan? defense force and console warriors who refuse to listen to any legitimate criticism because they take what the businessmen of their plastic box say and do as gospel? Thats not a fan, thats a fanboy.

Simply ones that know the way the industry works and we've still 6 months to go , not all games will impress. I seem to remember people having issues with how 360 games looked and run at
E3 2005 .

It's still early days yet and no doubt MS and SONY got lots of impressive things to show off, more so when hopefully the lockdown starts to wind down

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MS needs listen to Burr,

Talk less, Show more...

Don't let them get overhyped for what's in store.
It's a political thing. A lot of companies do that.

I find the best shows (at least IMO) are ones where a speaker like Spencer gets on stage, does his 3 minute speech and disappears.

But most game shows always have this mix of interchangeable speakers, half them are terrible at speaking on stage, and even worse some of them have music bits.

It's like there's board room meetings at HQ and you got 15 people in a room all fighting for stage time to prop up their career by having everyone remember their name and face, when all gamers want to really see are videos of the games. Maybe if it's something detailed like Carmack going on stage talking megatextures you want a figurehead to explain it, but for most game content, a slew of videos are enough.

A ton of speakers chiming in with filler...... "Oooooh wasn't that great?!!? Bob, ,I want to congratulate you on such a great looking game!". WTF? You already know each other and depending on the game probably work in the same office. What's with the public patting on the back?

This type of gabbing isn't needed because game shows are lectures. It isn't a Q&A session with the audience where you need the right person on stage to answer questions about what was shown on stage a minute ago.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The problem with that is even with 2 devs per show, you're not going to get a lot of games shown by the time the system launches in Q4.

Also, if it's a multiplat game, it doesn't totally help as it'll be on PS5 anyway.

And if they focus strictly on exclusives, some of these game smight be too small and niche for people to care about.

MS had the right idea to focus on a slew of third party games to help them out (there was what? 10 games or so?), but their choice of games and showing probably 80% curated trailers is what stunk. Half of those games are current gen quality, and some (like Vampire Masquerade) looks like a 360 game from 2011 but with 4k res.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Bad idea that leaves to many out in the cold. This is why no E3 is bad for the industry. Those small companies had a platform for interviews and to get word of mouth out. Now they are in no man's land stuck in crappy events like this or being stuck in a event with Sonys games next month being over shadowed. Microsoft had the right idea executed horribly. Each game needed more time with the team involved presenting it and it needed to be marketed differently. Show casing 3rd party games without E3 needs to be done but not like this.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Lol. Oh young one. There are literally examples of MS tweets in this very same thread of them hyping up this show and setting ridiculous expectations.

Get to reading then first and then come back and respond. Otherwise take a hike.
Oh your the young one if you expected anything from a 3rd party show case on a inside xbox show. I did not even bother to watch because I knew there was nothing. If there was it would be a real show with a lineup and communication to the press. Been around since pong lol this was easy to spot as a lot about nothing. If you could read what they said and been around for a few generations.

I disagree and don't think there is anything that Xbox could have done to not have received some type of backlash.

Sony fans are generally upset because they know the PS5 is not exactly what they want it to be. We can play word games about the SSD and other secret sauces but 99% of Sony fans know the truth. Some of those fans are DYING for a reason to throw shade at Microsoft and this situation was enough.

Now Sony fans have absolutely erupted like this is a giant scandal and Xbox just screwed them out of gameplay that they just wanted to shit on anyway. Some gamers are literally calling for people to lose their jobs. It is obscene and disgusting.

As an Xbox gamer I am perfectly happy with what they showed. It is fair to criticize not showing enough gameplay but not to the level we have seen here. It is forced and feels fake.
tenor.gif

Top Bottom