• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Forza 5 runs at 60 fps, Xbox One has no fps/resolution requirements

If it was running at 1080p at 60fps you can damn well be sure that Phil would have been boasting about it already! Best case... 900p. Worst case... 720p.

Liamario

Banned
Shit just got real.
I mean, those words were chosen very carefully. Wow.
I wasn't too concerned about yields etcc (whether they are true or false), but sub HD...

Tadale

I don't think the consoles should set a resolution/framerate requirement at this point. Let the developer decide what's most important for their game.

Those were some VERY carefully chosen words. 60fps for a racing game aint news. If this shit was 1080p, you'd damn well know they'd be saying that alongside of it.

mr_nothin

Banned
Jeez, a lot of damage control there.
Also seems that they're taking a jab at Sony because of the recent rumblings about them pushing 1080p/30fps

Sothpaw

And this is why I just built a new gaming pc. After playing every single game at 1080p and 60fps, there is really no turning back for me at this point. I tried to play God of War Ascension the other day and it made me laugh at how terrible it looked.

I really wish that console devs would just tone down whatever they need to tone down to secure 1080p and 60fps. It's so much more important than anything else when gaming.

theman5141

Neo Member
"Have I blathered on long enough for you to forget about the fact that I did not mention ANY target resolution for this upcoming game with a silky smooth frame rate?"

Every single racing game needs to be 60FPS next or whatever gen. It´s incredible frustating that things like this get to be a relevant news when it should be the most common thing in the world.

That was a requirement for all 360 games for the first few years of the console, then MS took that requirement away. It's not really news.

Although 60fps was expected, its nice to hear.

Yeah but that was 2005. This is 2013. I honestly would have expected them to not let games hit sub HD again. 720p should absolutely have been the bare minimum. 720p60FPS the norm.

test_account

XP-39C²
Because a 720p image on a 1080p display is always going to be a blurry mess, no matter how many graphical effects you throw at it.
I dont agree with it being a blurry mess, but 1080p would give a more crips image, that is true. I dont think 720p will be a problem though, i think it will still look great. I also expect many PS4 and Xbox One games to be running at 720p.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
pretty sure forza is 1080p. They've put out 1080p screenshots

The pre-rendered CG movie of how gameplay might have looked like in a better world, streamed at 60 FPS out of MS' cloud service, sure is.

Even current-gen racing games produce awesome in-engine movies. As long as we do not see actual gameplay, trust is pre-mature.

StuBurns

Banned
Unless there is a god-tier scaler in the Xbone a 720p image is going to look awful on my Dell U2711.

MS, deliver. I need dat' 1080p Forza at Christmas!

Seanspeed

Banned
The pre-rendered CG movie of how gameplay might have looked like in a better world, streamed at 60 FPS out of MS' cloud service, sure is.

Even current-gen racing games produce awesome in-engine movies. As long as we do not see actual gameplay, trust is pre-mature.

Its not CG.

Anyways, going by the comments, it sounds like it might be sub-1080p. Something like 900p would hardly be discernable for most people. It would really only be news if it was like 720p or something, which would be disappointing, but still not a big deal. People can rest assured the game will look great.

Valnen

I dont agree with it being a blurry mess, but 1080p would give a more crips image, that is true. I dont think 720p will be a problem though, i think it will still look great. I also expect many PS4 and Xbox One games to be running at 720p.

If a game is running at 720p it better have shit loads of AA to compensate. Otherwise why upgrade your console at all? Your games will look pretty much the same at that point.

Have no you standards for image quality? Run any PC game at less than your monitor's native resolution. It will look HORRIBLE and washed out pretty much no matter what you do to it.

OryoN

Nothing is truly beautiful if you're running a game below your display's native resolution. What you get is a blurry jagged mess at 720p. Microsoft is truly incompetent if their games are not going to be 1080p.

While it's funny to see MS dance around the fact that the game, in all likelihood, will run below 1080p, let's not get too crazy now. Greater fidelity is always appreciated, but let's not act like 720p is al'of a sudden an unplayable eyesore.

Also, lol at the folks who were hoping for a 1080p-60FPS next-gen standard.

Top Bottom