• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Forza 5 runs at 60 fps, Xbox One has no fps/resolution requirements

Ty4on

Hasn't the franchise always been 60fps?

Forza 1 was 30, but ever since Forza 2 silky smooth 60FPS has been very important for the series. Forza 3 and 4 had very little smoke because in 2 player races this could cause a frame rate drop, that's how important 60FPS is for them :p

Fun fact, the rendering is 60FPS, but the physics are actually running much faster at 360hz in 2, 3 and 4.

If a game is running at 720p it better have shit loads of AA to compensate. Otherwise why upgrade your console at all?

Have no you standards for image quality? Run any PC game at less than your monitor's native resolution. It will look HORRIBLE and washed out pretty much no matter what you do to it.

There are plenty of very good looking 720p games on Xbox 360/PS3, 1080p is nice but I'd rather have 60fps for a racer/shooter.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Its not CG.

Anyways, going by the comments, it sounds like it might be sub-1080p. Something like 900p would hardly be discernable for most people. It would really only be news if it was like 720p or something, which would be disappointing, but still not a big deal. People can rest assured the game will look great.

All I can say is fuck resolution scaling, native 1080p or bust....I'm 100% fine with locked 30fps and no AA......at least give me the option in settings or something.

KHarvey16

Have no you standards for image quality? Run any PC game at less than your monitor's native resolution. It will look HORRIBLE and washed out pretty much no matter what you do to it.

Are you serious? Because you're running it at a non native resolution. This is not what your TV does with a 720p signal.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well, he's right about resolution not really deciding if a game looks good or not, but why even make that comment? Or the obvious comment that Forza 5 runs at 60fps? Where the fuck are these supposed concerned fans that postulated it wouldn't?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Its not CG.

It was a trailer, using the in-game engine, but still a trailer, and, thus, certainly pre-rendered. I think, the only actual real-time gameplay we have seen so far on next-gen consoles is from COD, Knack, Killzone:SF, the Witnes, and Watch Dogs (, and the UE4 demo). Everything else, no matter if its XBox or PS4, deserves skepticism.

Valnen

Are you serious? Because you're running it at a non native resolution. This is not what your TV does with a 720p signal.

I play my console games on a PC monitor. It's pretty much the same effect as turning down a PC game's resolution down.

Gemüsepizza;61468617 said:
No it isn't.

It absolutely is. 1080p will be what 720p was for this generation. You'll see most games hit early on but eventually corners are going to be cut and we're going to see sub 1080p resolutions.

Valnen

There are plenty of very good looking 720p games on Xbox 360/PS3, 1080p is nice but I'd rather have 60fps for a racer/shooter.

If your standard is 360/PS3 graphics why upgrade your console at all? The whole point in a new generation is that it's supposed to be a huge leap. 720p games look like ass next to 1080p games.

BigDug13

Sure it is. The TV is scaling 1280x720 into 1920x1080. That's the very definition of "non-native resolution". You don't think a computer game being run at 1280x720 isn't also being scaled to 1920x1080 on a 1080p monitor?

There are 1920x1080 pixels on your display and whatever system it is has to make 1280x720 pixels fit, whether the scaler is inside the console/PC or you're using the one in the TV that is there specifically to turn 720p into 1080p by scaling.

Sub-1080p resolutions after waiting all this time for a new gen is just fucking sad honestly. I thought for sure we'd get 1080p. Glad I invested in PC.

Best Xbox news of the Month.

Fixed.

I think the best thing about this upcoming generation is that because the xbox one cant create a comparable graphical jump as the 360 did with the OG xbox, we very may see developers instead improving performance as a way to set their titles apart from the previous generation.

If 60FPS becomes invogue again in console development, I will be eternally grateful.

Erghhhhh, I will take 60fps @ 720p over 30fps anyday.

Yep.

PG2G

Your PC isn't scaling the image to your resolution of choice. You do realize most TV broadcasts aren't 1080p, right?

Valnen

So select the monitor's resolution in the console settings and the console will do the scaling. That's not the same as setting a PC to output a non native resolution to a monitor.

The game is still rendered at 720p or less on a PS3 no matter what you set the console's resolution to. That's why all games on PS3 look awful on a 1080p LCD display.

Your PC isn't scaling the image to your resolution of choice. You do realize most TV broadcasts aren't 1080p, right?

And most TV broadcasts look like shit because of that. It's one reason I don't subscribe to cable.

SpaceNun

Banned
At this point in time resolution is the single most important factor in graphics ABOVE framerate and AA as long as there is 30 FPS solid and decent AA. Telling me that beauty has nothing to do with the amount of pixels and detail you can put into your game....

Seriously, Microsoft, just fucking start over. This is getting really bad.

derFeef

If your standard is 360/PS3 graphics why upgrade your console at all? The whole point in a new generation is that it's supposed to be a huge leap. 720p games look like ass next to 1080p games.

I am sure there will he graphical improvements, it's a new system... come on.

Do you think next generation games will just look better with just a jump in resolution?

Things like AA/AF, depth of field, real time lighting, textures, particles and animation make a game look better.

BigDug13

Most are 1080i 60hz which is converted to 1080p 30hz with no loss in image fidelity. Some are 720p 60hz which gets scaled in the TV to 1080p 60hz, but then there is a slight loss in image quality in a 720p broadcast.

But honestly cable is so choked down with bandwidth issues that the image suffers either way.

Well, he's right about resolution not really deciding if a game looks good or not, but why even make that comment? Or the obvious comment that Forza 5 runs at 60fps? Where the fuck are these supposed concerned fans that postulated it wouldn't?

It runs at 720p is the new hotness Bro.

SpaceNun

Banned
Do you think next generation games will just look better with a jump in resolution?

Things like AA/AF, depth of field, real time lighting, textures, particles and animation make a game look better.

Indeed, to my eyes yes they will just look better with a jump in resolution. I honestly can't even stand looking at a 720p image anymore unless it is supersampled or has massive amount of AA.

chadskin

It'll be interesting to see how well a 720p game does on a 4K TV. Either way, Pachter will be predicting a "Xbox One HD" in a not too distant future.

Valnen

Do you think next generation games will just look better with just a jump in resolution?

Resolution is easily the most important factor when it comes to image quality. If you're running a game below the native resolution of your display it's going to look bad no matter what you do to it.

EvB

Timothy Lottes wrote a really interesting blog post about how the framebuffer isn't the important bit, but rather the quality of the post processing.

Seanspeed

Banned
It was a trailer, using the in-game engine, but still a trailer, and, thus, certainly pre-rendered. I think, the only actual real-time gameplay we have seen so far on next-gen consoles is from COD, Knack, Killzone:SF, the Witnes, and Watch Dogs (, and the UE4 demo). Everything else, no matter if its XBox or PS4, deserves skepticism.
Next-gen is going to look good.

If you want to be nit-picky, sure, go ahead, but I dont think anybody but hardcore cynics will be genuinely disappointed.

Resolution is easily the most important factor when it comes to image quality. If you're running a game below the native resolution of your display it's going to look bad no matter what you do to it. Even the Last of Us demo looked pretty bad on my monitor, and yes my PS3 is set to 1080p.

Technically? Yes, I can't argue.

But to suggest all games running at 720p will look poor is nonsense.

PG2G

And most TV broadcasts look like shit because of that. It's one reason I don't subscribe to cable.

Has more to do with compression than scaling

Most are 1080i 60hz which is converted to 1080p 30hz with no loss in image fidelity. Some are 720p 60hz which gets scaled in the TV to 1080p 60hz, but then there is a slight loss in image quality in a 720p broadcast.

But honestly cable is so choked down with bandwidth issues that the image suffers either way.

Agreed. I was aware that they used to be primarily 1080i, didn't know whether or not they had moved over to 720p.

you will also have jaggies if a game runs at 1080p on a full-hd-monitor...
Decent AA with 720p can be way superior to native 1080p without AA.

Except that texture filtering will have a hard time at 720.
There's a reason I always prioritize resolution over AA on PC

SpaceNun

Banned
It'll be interesting to see how well a 720p game does on a 4K TV. Either way, Pachter will be predicting a "Xbox One HD" in a not too distant future.

It would look like complete and utter shit seeing as 720p looks like complete and utter shit on 1080p screens.

amar212

At this point in time resolution is the single most important factor in graphics ABOVE framerate and AA as long as there is 30 FPS solid and decent AA.

Not for at least 10 years for games that should be driven on wheels - read: driving games - which require minimal master-slave lag.

There are good driving games with 30fps, but for true sensation when using wheel 60fps is prerequisite.

There is no argument to twist that because 30fps produces too much lag on the slave (wheel) which compromises complete driving sensation.

50% is a bit less than 100%...

X1:

GPU @ 800MHz: 1.23 TFLOPS

GPU @ 600MHz: 922.5 GFLOPS (worst case if rumors about downclocks are true)

922.5 GFLOPS - 123 GFLOPS (reserved amount for X1 OS) = 799.5 GFLOPS for games

PS4:

GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS

with 123GFLOPS reserved: (1.84-0.123)/0.7995 = ~2.1475 -> PS4 is ~114% more powerful

without 123GFLOPS reserved: 1.84/0.7995 = ~2.301 -> PS4 is ~130% more powerful

If downclock is only 100MHz it's ~80% (both have 123GFLOPS reserved) or ~93% (only X1 has 123GFLOPS reserved). With absolutely no downclocks it's still ~55% or ~66%, not 50%.

It absolutely is. 1080p will be what 720p was for this generation. You'll see most games hit early on but eventually corners are going to be cut and we're going to see sub 1080p resolutions.

I can't see this happening when there is such a massive difference between both consoles. If games run in sub-1080p@30fps on PS4, in what resolution will these games run on X1?

PFD

Spencer concluded: "Some of the most beautiful games of this generation are not dictated by how many pixels they're pushing to the screen. Motion blur, antialiasing, lighting: all of these things come into play.

Translation: If we smear enough jelly on the screen, resolution won't matter.

Top Bottom