• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has acquired 3̶ 5 more studios

What studios has Microsoft acquired?

• Asobo

Votes: 151 34.0%
  • Avalanche

Votes: 117 26.4%
  • Crytek

Votes: 267 60.1%
  • SEGA

Votes: 143 32.2%
  • Techland

Votes: 87 19.6%
  • Moon Studios

Votes: 79 17.8%
  • CD Projekt

Votes: 54 12.2%
  • IO Interactive

Votes: 121 27.3%
  • Kojima Productions

Votes: 104 23.4%
  • Focus Home Interactive

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • Playtonic

Votes: 58 13.1%
  • Bloober team

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • NetherRealm

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Rocksteady

Votes: 15 3.4%
  • Warner Bros.

Votes: 13 2.9%

• Total voters
giphy.gif

I dunno what I'm doing I just wanted to use this gif 😂😂😂😂😂

Corndog

Banned
One is a deliberate studio restructure to diversify the publishing arm and change focus (ASOBI), the other is a sign of troubled development. I don’t think you know how this comparison stuff works.
I don’t think you have looked into the story. They had developers leaving left and right. It is worse then 343i.

Corndog

Banned
flagship title vs small stuff, ever hear of apples vs oranges my friend? although your comparison is more apt than you intended, since MS should shut down a studio that cannot produce one title in 5-6 years ;)
So I’m not allowed to point out people’s hypocrisy. Dang you guys are sensitive.

Last edited:
I think Phil probably has some huge dirt on Nadella, I mean he has him by the balls. How the hell he keeps making that man open the war chest is beyond me.
Nah, they still haven’t blown through half of that ~$120B they had to repatriate from overseas.

That’s why when we joke about Microsoft buying Sega, Capcom, or Konami, they’re only half-jokes. They are all viable targets for acquisition (though some will have more hoops to jump through than others.

Kagey K

Banned
Where you been? Under a rock? They gave there annual reports or whatever and even admitted it’s not even making money with the service! Either that or from the recent court case this was exposed!
Going to need some receipts.

I think you are conflating a couple different things and attributing them all to gamepass.

The Aaron Greenburg quote that it wasn't making a ton of cash back at 10 million subscribers, and that Xbox hasn't made a dollar on console sales from the Epic vs Apple case.

One of those statements is largely outdated and the other is only speaking about the plastic box, not software, subscriptions or accessories.

Last edited:

Jaybe

EA is entirely plausible and possible. And would be a body blow that Sony couldn’t absorb long-term, as it may require them to farm more exclusives and grab studios to make sports titles again.

I think EA as well, if not now than in a year or two. They have strategically partnered on subscriptions and have the same GaaS MTX revenue view of milking the consumer, and have oriented their businesses around it. Sunday, BF6 May be announced as day 1 game pass... and who knows maybe ME remastered added as well given the big recent RPG rumour out there. MS needs content and EA has it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Going to need some receipts.

I think you are conflating a couple different things and attributing them all to gamepass.

The Aaron Greenburg quote that it wasn't making a ton of cash back at 10 million subscribers, and that Xbox hasn't made a dollar on console sales from the Epic vs Apple case.

One of those statements is largely outdated and the other is only speaking about the plastic box, not software, subscriptions or accessories.
They are one 23 million subs now ain’t they?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
EA is entirely plausible and possible. And would be a body blow that Sony couldn’t absorb long-term, as it may require them to farm more exclusives and grab studios to make sports titles again.

EA value is entirely predicated on sport licenses that mandate multiplatform releases...

Hezekiah

Banned
no, I am just curious, i am running the older i7-8600k with GTX 1080ti, hunting for rtx3080/AMD 6800XT, whichever i run into first, now, ANSWER MY QUESTION!
Well good luck with that mate!

You're ahead of me - I have a 1070ti and an 8700k. Currently playing Witcher 3 for the first time, but I want to play Red Dead 2, however I have an (awesome) Alienware ultrawide with a 3440*1440 resolution so it runs like dogshit.

If AMD's FSR is anywhere near as good as DLSS I'll happily jump ship to the red team, Nvidia are a joke.

Corndog

Banned
hypocrisy? Oh I see, you lack reading comprehension. And who the hell are “you guys?” I’m just one dude. Enjoy your mischaracterizations, later!
Who is “my friend”? Hypocrites as in making a big deal out of 343i while downplaying Sony Japan studio.

edit: As far as why I said you guys is because you are not the original person I was responding to in the original post.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
January 2021, still heard nothing further regarding this;

Blasting into 2021 with some news:

One of the things we're doing is a rebrand..... exciting hey – let us know if you want slides and graphs too, but there is a good reason for us doing so, my dear Playtonic friends... all will be revealed soon!

It’s still a secret, so keep it mum.

Hezekiah

Banned
I mean, this image is primarily for fun. But if you want to be serious about everything, then so be it.

But on serious note. More studios means more games into the Game Pass. Which is great for anyone who has active sub.
It also means higher subscription prices for Xbox gamers down the line. I really don't see the majority of PC gamers subscribing to GamePass, they simply don't want to be under the thumb of Microsoft. And the majority of casuals and with smartphones/tablets aren't going to be interested in paying £10 - £15+ a month either.

I seriously doubt it, but anything is possible. But, IF Microsoft (or Sony) somehow got access to Madden and NHL, you can be assured the NFL and NHL would take the cue from MLB and demand their games be on all platforms or revoke the license.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
You idiots cheering for MS to buy up all the studios aren’t going to be so happy when game pass is the only way to play anything and it costs $60/month. That is their endgame.
A lot of people do seem under the impression it will be £10 forever, and that MS is 'doing them a favour' (warchest etc etc) - like they've forgotten how major corporations operate and what their sole purpose is 🤦.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't like things that end up in some form of exclusivity. With that said, I really hope they buy Asobo Studio, but only because I want them to continue to perform their magic on MS Flight Simulator.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
A lot of people do seem under the impression it will be £10 forever, and that MS is 'doing them a favour' (warchest etc etc) - like they've forgotten how major corporations operate and what their sole purpose is 🤦.
You are correct!!!

They were happy paying for online while calling Sony and Nintendo players “poor” so yeah how could they use their brains to think about the future and the implication for all of us gamers. Then we got online behind a paywall for all consoles… so yeah that’s a pretty good example of things that might come.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Realistically:
Crytek
Asobo Studio
Moon Studio

Makes sense given the collaboration they've had in the past, and Phil mentioned he was interested in using Id Tech for other developers... so buying a developer famous for its engine is probably something they'd do.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I went with:
Asobo
IO Interactive
Moon - Which is highly unlikely, probably Crytek or someone else. I would just really love for Moon to be an XGS 1st party.

Top Bottom