• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has revoked licenses for free Fallout 4. $10 credit given

So what happens if you downloaded this and just remained offline with your Xbox One?
Just asking for a friend--seriously

GaussTek

Already had the game on PC, so I didn't bother.
Next time I will. Strange thing to encourage your customers to take advantage of these mistakes, but that's fine by me.

I don't think they are encouraging anyone, most people would take advantage of these mistakes anyway. Plus, next time they could just revoke the game's licence without giving you anything else, no one is saying they'll do the same on each mistake.

Rival

Gold Member
Sweet. $10 for a game I already had on PC. I wasn't going to play it on Xbox anyways as it feels like a slideshow coming from PC.

So I got the message that the game no longer works and I'm receiving $10 at the end of the month, however, despite still being connected to the internet, the game still works without a hitch.

I had it running before I got the message and played a bit right after just to see if it worked. Exited the entire game, played another, and hopped back on Fallout, still works. Turned whole console off then on and still kicking. So either I'm in a glitch that exempted me from the license revoke or the revoke just hasn't taken effect yet.

This reminds me of the Samsung 4K HDTV debacle in which they had they priced at $100 (a $1050 tv) and ppl were snatching them up left and right. Samsung then cancelled all orders and gave folks a $50 Samsung credit to buy stuff in their online store.

I tried to get over on Samsung for about 4 tvs. I was bummed they cancelled (and fully expected them to) but they didn't have to give me $50 in credit at all so that was cool.

Good on MS to give me $10 for me basically stealing Fallout 4 off their online store. They didn't have to do that.

Camjo-Z

I hate Fallout and immediately regretted grabbing this for my brother after realizing I'd have to sit through him playing it for god knows how long, so this is the best possible outcome. Will probably grab Shadow Jago with this credit, thanks MS.

They didn't need to do this. But, this seems to be another sign that Phil has things going in the right direction. Good move MS. This is the sort of gesture that inspires a lot of goodwill.

RootCause

So what happens if you downloaded this and just remained offline with your Xbox One?
Just asking for a friend--seriously
You get to keep for as long as you're offline. :p
Hey, tell your friend to play all the way through, unless of course, he really needs to get online. :3

Shiggy

One would've thought there was a binding purchase contract, but in the digital world where licenses can be revoked that doesn't matter apparently.

Max_Po

Banned
Is fallout 4 this bad?

Its the worst performing multi platform port of the game amoung the 3.

Gotta hand it to Microsoft...they matched fps to $ with Bethesda on their market place....

Going by Digital Foundry's article of Fallout4 hitting 0 fps on xbx1...... zing

Kolma

I'm glad I'm not alone in think that the $10 is worth more to me than the game.

I had zero plans to really play Fallout 4 and $10 can be used for Rock Band 4 DLC.

Technically, [if you did get it at 0] you deserve fallout 4, because it was microsoft's mistake, they gave you 10 bucks instead of letting you keep the full game you were legally entitled to keep because of their fuck up.

I'm curious, is this true?
Are we legally entitled to keep it?

I believe that is not correct.

Rembrandt

Banned
I've been looking online for places that says that's true, but all I've read is that this is a myth.

Retailers do not have to honour a price that is clearly a mistake.

https://conversation.which.co.uk/money/pricing-mistake-next-ms-sofa-tv-online-shops-honour/

That's what I read too. I saw they can give you something for free if it's a $10 item and priced wrong in Canada but I find it really hard to believe any store has to honor an expensive item being priced as free anywhere.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Someone let us know if you beat the game, with the console kept offline.

I don't own a bone, but I am interested in a success story beyond 10$ credit. Beating the game for free would be just that.

Matt

Technically, [if you did get it at 0] you deserve fallout 4, because it was microsoft's mistake, they gave you 10 bucks instead of letting you keep the full game you were legally entitled to keep because of their fuck up.
That's not true. Why do people keep saying this?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, at most I expected a free-Fallout-weekend or something.

$10 I can spend on anything I want, on any item I want, is quite nice.

Top Bottom