• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has revoked licenses for free Fallout 4. $10 credit given

I am still able to play and I just went in to my games and apps and saw ready to install for fallout 4. Now it's downloading the dlc (far harbor).

Noobcraft

That's a super nice move from MS and pretty unnecessary honestly. Now I feel obligated to pay it forward and buy some Forza DLC or Halo Reqs or something.

jaypah

Why did they do this? Goodwill? Pre-E3 good vibes? Just trying to keep the non creative chatter to a minimum? Either way they didn't have to do jack shit so this is pretty dope of them. I don't have an XB1 so I didn't think to even try to redeem it but still, dope shit.

Canadian

That's nice of them. Clearly it was a pricing error, so it's a nice gesture to even get $10 for their mistake really.

Everyone wins, they get to save their butts, people get free money and Microsoft encourages more sales on their store. So I think they handled it well.

Occam

Since Microsoft "sold" the game for 0$, this was not a valid sales contract (nothing was exchanged) and they were under no obligation to honor it.
Giving $10 to those who got it for free is unnecessary, but a nice gesture.

Anyone who feels they don't deserve the $10, feel free to contact me via PM and I'll give you my PayPal address so you can unburden your conscience.

Not sure why people are thanking microsoft. Sony have made errors many times and have let it go for free. Microsoft have actually revoked licenses, which is a cheek imo.

I got the message, I'm still playing it, and I've been connected online this whole time. I assume that if I close the game, I won't be able to start it again, so I just won't close it until I've had my fill.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Not sure why people are thanking microsoft. Sony have made errors many times and have let it go for free. Microsoft have actually revoked licenses, which is a cheek imo.
People love to skew history hey? Both Microsoft and Sony have rrvoked licenses in the past, and both have also gifted free copies for their screw ups.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

Well, gee.

Being a staunch Sony dude myself, I would love to see 5 examples of this, via solid sources. Sony are dicks, MS.. they can afford this because..
1) they have a welling pool of liquid
2) they need the good publicity
3) See 1 and 2.

MYeager

With the Digital Deluxe Edition I got the DLC, if I bought the game would the DLC still work? If so that'd be a pretty good deal just to buy the game itself.

Nori Chan

Damn. Do I blow this ten dollars on loot boxes for overwatch, other MS first party games, or use it towards a game I'm going to buy? 🤔

fernoca

Fair enough, but thats a preorder, right? I can think of a good few games that weren't revoked like killzone shadowfall.
Amplitude was revoked and was a few months ago.

People are thanking Microsoft for the $10 mostly. The Amplitude thing or even the Fallout 4 Season Pass preorder while revoked didn't ended in free money for people. :p

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Thank God. I already own the game on PS4 and it's a turd. Would rather the 10 bucks towards a good game anyway. Glad I tried to download.

Kieli

I think there is. People who might have sunk some time into it without knowing it was a mistake would be upset that they lost everything.

I think anyone with half a brain would realize free for a Bethesda mega-RPG that came out last year is assuredly a mistake........

I wish I could sell my game for $10 that I paid full price for. This digital and own it without being able to sell has me questioning almost all of the purchases I've made this generation. Digital trade-ins need to be a thing.

It makes sense they give free credit, someone could argue this was their fault, the licence was purchased at the price reticulated and should not be removed

I hope nobody tries to abuse

Best case scenario for me. I already had Fallout 4 on PS4 (physically too!!!) and would easily have chosen 10 dollars in MS Munny than Fallout 4 on Xbox One with the Season Pass

you guys should put it towards purchasing a full priced copy of Fallout 4, the deepest role-playing game ever made. or support Bethesda softworks by purchasing the season pass!

malfcn

I had everything installed, but not launched.
Today I had a notification that "installation was stopped" - what happened, a patch?

Top Bottom