• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft HoloLens now available to non-devs in US and Canada for $3,000

Even when you consider that the color reproduction and black levels are severely lacking?
That's actually my point, there is no display for any VR headset (or TV or anything) that can make you think you are looking at real life, because the color reproduction and black levels (and resolution) won't match reality for years. So a VR headset with a stereo camera won't be anywhere near as good as any real AR device. And until they can get FOV of a VR headset to cover your entire area of sight, there's no way people will wear a VR headset while doing everyday things.

cakefoo

That's actually my point, there is no display for any VR headset (or TV or anything) that can make you think you are looking at real life, because the color reproduction and black levels (and resolution) won't match reality for years. So a VR headset with a stereo camera won't be anywhere near as good as any real AR device. And until they can get FOV of a VR headset to cover your entire area of sight, there's no way people will wear a VR headset while doing everyday things.
I was actually referring to AR HMD visuals.

While a VR headset would degrade the real world FOV and IQ, it would greatly increase the active AR fov and the color/opacity accuracy of AR elements.

I wouldn't be surprised if future VR headsets and cellphone VR solutions come equipped with a stereo camera for AR. I also wouldn't be surprised if those are more popular until AR-dedicated headsets evolve more.

krang

I was actually referring to AR HMD visuals.

While a VR headset would degrade the real world FOV and IQ, it would greatly increase the active AR fov and the color/opacity accuracy of AR elements.

I wouldn't be surprised if future VR headsets and cellphone VR solutions come equipped with a stereo camera for AR. I also wouldn't be surprised if those are more popular until AR-dedicated headsets evolve more.

Viewing your surroundings via even the smallest of lags from a camera would be horrible by comparison to a device that overlays your actual vision.

daTRUballin

Yeah, somehow, they're never 'comparable'. I mean, it's not like nascent complex technologies usually cost an arm and a leg for the earliest adopters, or anything like that

You're comparing an unproven augmented reality gaming device to televisions and smartphones. Back in 2000 and 2006, HDTVs and smartphones were the next technological step for TVs and phones, respectively. Pretty much every household in the world has a TV and every person and their dog has a smartphone these days. Phones are essential to have in the 21st century. You'd be hard pressed to find people without a smartphone nowadays. TVs are less essential, but almost every household still has them. So even though the price was high, consumers were going to be buying the newest editions of TVs and phones regardless.

You can't really compare that with Hololens. Hololens is an experimental AR gaming device. Consumers aren't going to buy it for $3000. There's no way MS is going to sell the consumer version for that much. I understand this thread is about the developer version though, so it makes sense that the price is that high. There's no way they're going to sell the consumer version for $3000.

Are you presuming this iteration is intended to be mass market?

Yeah, I was confused by the title of this thread and assumed it was talking about the consumer version. My bad.

You're comparing an unproven augmented reality gaming device to televisions and smartphones. Back in 2000 and 2006, HDTVs and smartphones were the next technological step for TVs and phones, respectively. Pretty much every household in the world has a TV and every person and their dog has a smartphone these days. Phones are essential to have in the 21st century. You'd be hard pressed to find people without a smartphone nowadays. TVs are less essential, but almost every household still has them. So even though the price was high, consumers were going to be buying the newest editions of TVs and phones regardless.

You can't really compare that with Hololens. Hololens is an experimental AR gaming device. Consumers aren't going to buy it for $3000. There's no way MS is going to sell the consumer version for that much. I understand this thread is about the developer version though, so it makes sense that that the price is that high. There's no way they're going to sell the consumer version for $3000.

I actually just finished editing my post for clarity, lol. I was basically trying to make the same point that Krang made, but I shoulda slowed my roll.

Hololens isn't a gaming device, though. It's just an AR device, and you can bet your butt that AR is going to be another type of device that everyone and their mother owns or endeavors to own once it has matured. It's very likely to be the 'next big thing' after self-driving vehicles. It's just gonna take some time to get there.

krang

Yeah, I was confused by the title of this thread and assumed it was talking about the consumer version. My bad.

Yeah, I can see how you might have come to that conclusion. I guess we won't be seeing genuine customer-level devices until v3, if at all.

Horp

We have three of these at work.
I'll reiterate what many here have already said:
This tech will be cool in 3-5 years. Right now the performance and the low field of view means it has very little practical use and fun factor.

ekgrey

And as far as the tracking is concerned, it's downright magical. It doesn't sound like much but when you experience it yourself, it's absolutely mind blowing. You can place objects in different rooms, everything is persistent (you can walk away, power off and back on later) - everything stays exactly where you left as if it were real. Must be seen to be believed, and even with the FOV issues it still does a remarkable job of fooling your brain into believing that something is really in this physical space with you. Add to this, the fact that the device is untethered and you can walk thru a much larger area than say the Vive "room space" (or just seated in the case of Oculus)

Wow, so this thing has its own RAM or flash storage or something? Very cool.

Very very nice tech,price to be expected as it's still in its infancy.Should imagine this will be big news in about 5 years,although I'm hoping less

cakefoo

Viewing your surroundings via even the smallest of lags from a camera would be horrible by comparison to a device that overlays your actual vision.
It will have to be low-latency for sure, but that's not impossible.

Is it?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What, no price-gawking for the VR killer?

In all seriousness, this will be a really cool thing in 5 years.

Do people seriously view it this way? They're entirely different things. Related, but with very different purposes. AR and VR are both cool, and neither is a substitute for the other.

Soon.

I'll play VR games but I am personally more enthusiast for AR than VR and I'm really hoping starting to see nice playable things at next E3.
And seing a dev community version being sold is a good sign :)

krang

It will have to be low-latency for sure, but that's not impossible.

Is it?

Well it can be small, but it'll still look weird. Resolution is another problem. So is power.

Also, remember that VR headsets consume your entire field of vision - albeit just black in the periphery. That is going to severely hamper you compared to AR where you can see everything you could see before, plus the additional augmented stuff (which is the only bit with a limited FoV).

Sho Nuff

Banned
I might suggest Microsoft look at how HTC/Valve distributed their Vive development kits to developers. Hint: They weren't charging them $3,000 and forcing them to write an essay.

krang

Wait, fuck, really? I clearly haven't been paying enough attention. So you don't plug it into a PC? Very interesting. I guess I have some reading/watching to do.

It's kinda the major benefit, AND the major drawback, right now. It's only got 2GB RAM, limited to 32-bit, and only works for a couple of hours between charges.

Speed and efficiency will only get better in subsequent iterations, though.

Alx

I might suggest Microsoft look at how HTC/Valve distributed their Vive development kits to developers. Hint: They weren't charging them $3,000 and forcing them to write an essay.

HTC/Valve could afford giving away headsets to developers since they hope to make it back on the volume of consumers buying the software (and also because the headset is much cheaper, despite its own high price). Hololens isn't on the same volume at all, and may not rely as much on indie developers either.

leeh

Wait, fuck, really? I clearly haven't been paying enough attention. So you don't plug it into a PC? Very interesting. I guess I have some reading/watching to do.
Yeah, it's a standalone device. According to the spec sheet, it has a 32bit CPU with some new HPU thing and 2GB of RAM.

Never expected this to be priced for consumer, but I'm really interested to seeing all the projects which come out of this. Are there any cool ones which people have seen?

Sylfurd

It's supposed to be the VR killer but why don't no one talk about the shitty colors ?

Contrary to every fake videos of the hololens, it can't display black et dark colors, it's limiting for a lot of applications, like watching a movie !

I found only one video which really shows how it looks like, colors are pretty bad:
CJlC85B.jpg

TBiddy

It's supposed to be the VR killer but why don't no one talk about the shitty colors ?

I assume it's because it's still development device. It's not ready for consumers, and most of the videos shown are probably "spiced up" in order to show what the ambition is.

leeh

Contrary to every fake videos of the hololens, it can't display black et dark colors, it's limiting for a lot of applications, like watching a movie !

I found only one video which really shows how it looks like, colors are pretty bad:
I mean, this makes sense as it projects light. You can't project 'dark' light. It's new tech, give it some time. It's not meant for watching movies.

Fuck a scenario, I just want to know. Also, not all apps are made for HoloLens or released for HoloLens so having Continuum would help in that regard but that's a small edge case.

But my real reason is for an idea I have for a game. :)

Just run it on the HoloLens then... I'm so confused :)

HoloLens It's not suppose to be a VR Killer. AR and VR can coexist, they are for completely different purposes with some overlap where it makes sense. Hell, even in gaming applications its all conditional. In some situations it would make more sense to do AR instead of VR; and situations where something could really only work with AR... and vice versa.

you can bet your butt that AR is going to be another type of device that everyone and their mother owns or endeavors to own once it has matured. It's very likely to be the 'next big thing' after self-driving vehicles. It's just gonna take some time to get there.

Having used one I've got to say that is absolutely the truth. The form factor needs to be right for mass market obviously - which will take a few years - but every sci fi film or book you've seen or read where people have retinal implants and have all that cool info pop up over things and people they're looking at? It's basically that (albeit glasses are more likely than implants!).

At which point Apple will "invent" AR with a device that's basically the same and it will sell 10 times more.

Hah, also likely.

Sylfurd

I assume it's because it's still development device. It's not ready for consumers, and most of the videos shown are probably "spiced up" in order to show what the ambition is.
No, it's totally dependant of the AR technology. It's impossible to "project dark light" on a glass. It totaly limits the applications you can have on the device.

jaypah

I'm confused. Did someone from MS or Google come out recently and call AR the "VR Killer" or something? I mean, AR can't get better until VR gets better while also having to deal with its own particular set of problems. AR has nothing to do with being a VR killer.

cakefoo

Well it can be small, but it'll still look weird.
How weird can it look? Compare seeing a video version of reality with seeing AR elements only in a small box in the center of your fov.

Resolution is another problem.
If you can't read something, just take a step closer to it. Hololens will require you to step back a greater distance to see things that can't fit in its miniscule display.

So is power
Sure, until something like a Gear VR with stereo cameras comes out.

Also, remember that VR headsets consume your entire field of vision - albeit just black in the periphery. That is going to severely hamper you compared to AR where you can see everything you could see before, plus the additional augmented stuff (which is the only bit with a limited FoV).
Aren't the AR bits kind of a big deal? I'd much rather have a roomscale experience than a coffee table experience.

I think they acquisced that they didn't mean that for real, and it was more of an effect of showing a brighter color and making the negative space appear darker
I never read that. In fact, one of their patents describes how the "wave guide chip" could be used to cancel out incoming light, similar to how noise-canceling headphones cancel out sound, thus darkening part of the image.

Also, he's very clear in saying "We made black from light", it's his example of something really cool they accomplished by mixing engineers with creative-types.
https://youtu.be/bmHSIEx69TQ (important bit at 35 minutes in)

Sylfurd

I never read that. In fact, one of their patents describes how the "wave guide chip" could be used to cancel out incoming light, similar to how noise-canceling headphones cancel out sound, thus darkening part of the image.

Also, he's very clear in saying "We made black from light", it's his example of something really cool they accomplished by mixing engineers with creative-types.
https://youtu.be/bmHSIEx69TQ (important bit at 35 minutes in)
Very interesting, thanks ! It would be far superior than the hololens then.

Markoman

By the time Hololens hits consumer friendly price range, Matrix 2.0 will be released with
some extra leather and cool new shades.

Nice gimmick, but no thanks...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm confused. Did someone from MS or Google come out recently and call AR the "VR Killer" or something? I mean, AR can't get better until VR gets better while also having to deal with its own particular set of problems. AR has nothing to do with being a VR killer.

Many "writers" and podcast "talkers" have been saying this for the past 18 months or so.

Top Bottom