• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft HoloLens now available to non-devs in US and Canada for $3,000

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ft-wins-480-million-army-battlefield-contract

Microsoft Corp. has won a $480 million contract to supply prototypes for augmented reality systems to the Army for use on combat missions and in training, the Army said. The contract, which could eventually lead to the military purchasing over 100,000 headsets, is intended to “increase lethality by enhancing the ability to detect, decide and engage before the enemy,” according to a government description of the program.

Alx

The base model is out of stock, but it doesn't seem to be any cheaper. No reason to actually, for a product not aimed at mass market.

2000:

"6500$... for a flat screen HDTV? They just want HD to bomb, don't they?"

2007:

"600$... for a telephone? Apple just wants to bomb, don't they?

I don't know what rip-off mart you went to I only paid $1950 for my HDTV in 2001 so i doubt the prices were that much higher 10-12 months earlier. And that was more than 32 inches as well.

WaterAstro

Are they going to get a bunch of video game devs to invest millions into it and then not release it again?

They better give devs a roadmap to release and commit to it before they actually get them to buy devkits.

wondermega

hmmm interesting. There's been a bunch of murmuring about this recently, I guess it won't be too long before we know what they have been up to (well - maybe!) I'm still tinkering away on my own HL project, in fits and starts in between jobs. I'd LIKE to release it before the new HMD is available, maybe that's my cue to hurry the hell up! Maybe I'll post some vids in here later if there is any interest.

nemiroff

Gold Member
We've had the dev version in our lab almost since the release. I've played around with it many times but Its very limited right now and didn't quite meet my expectations. But the tech has great potential, and I can't wait for the next version, and I suspect it's already on order at work.

I've tried the old ones in the past, it's neat but nowhere near where they needed to be, and while reading on the new kit shows improvements we are still nowhere near the vision MS seems to be wanting out of it.

Can you imagine having a live stream of nasa sending some device to the Moon or saturn, and you can put on glasses and act as if you are actually there? We'll all be senior citizens by that time, unless we have another big tech boom like in the 90's.

Top Bottom