• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft HoloLens Project Designer Killed in Drunk Driving Hit-and-Run

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
My mum was nearly killed by a drunk driver, I just can't imagine how selfish someone can be that having a drink outweighs someone's life. Thoughts goes out to his family, so unfair.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Holy shit, that's awful... the guy was contributing to some amazing forward thinking tech. What a damn shame.

tuna_love

Banned
I lost my fiancee and two year old son to a drink driver. The worst feeling in the world that it all could have been avoided if the other person just decided not to drive.

The Lamp

I hate every fucker on the road that even attempts to drive more than 10-15% over the speed limit. I wish the earth would just open up and suck in those vehicles to never be seen again. He could have survived this accident if someone didn't hit him head on at fucking 100 mph. Although, this is more about drunk driving.

RIP, sir.

faridmon

Why the government is not doing much more about Drunk Driving is absolutely baffling. An innocent dude who had his future in front of him, dying for nothing because someone spent his day drinking and driving.

RIP

I lost my fiancee and two year old son to a drink driver. The worst feeling in the world that it all could have been avoided if the other person just decided not to drive.

Wow, absolutely terrible. Fuck those people.
I knew some people who drove after consuming alcohol, but they are no longer my friends and I will make sure to not befriends scums like those in the future.

aaronwt

RIP.

Our country needs a "one strike, you're out" policy for drunk driving. It is inexcusable.
I wish they had the death penalty for drinking and driving.. There is no excuse. If you drink anything just don't drive. Something so simple yet too many idiots are incapable of following it.

The Lamp

Why the government is not doing much more about Drunk Driving is absolutely baffling. An innocent dude who had his future in front of him, dying for nothing because someone spent his day drinking and driving.

RIP

Do something like what? They already patrol the streets pretty aggressively during certain hours of the evening.

Cities without good public transportation seem to suffer from this more because people have less ways to get home after having a good time.

DMiz

Beyond unfortunate for his family and friends; all the best wishes to those in grief.

Really hits home why organizations like MADD exist.

RIP.

faridmon

Do something like what? They already patrol the streets pretty aggressively during certain hours of the evening.

Cities without good public transportation seem to suffer from this more because people have less ways to get home after having a good time.

umm, punish those who commits those felonies even more harshly. What is the use for patrolling if its keeps happening?

Also, if you know that you live far, make sure to have an alternative way to enjoy yourself, than drinking yourself silly and driving later.

What sort of excuse is that?

93xfan

Banned
Sad on multiple levels. We are way too permissive of this bullshit behavior in the US.

I agree. I'd rather the tragedy be about a kid in jail for 5 years because they got drunk and drove (even if no one was hurt). Lives are going to be destroyed anyway, may as well make them on the side that deserves it. Some will eventually wise up and do whatever it takes to avoid driving drunk.

Shahed

It baffles me that people drink drive. Either plan some other way to get home beforehand, or find a different sort of entertainment. FFS this gets people killed. And people look at me weirldly when I say I don't drink

Bsigg12

It baffles me that people drink drive. Either plan some other way to get home beforehand, or find a different sort of entertainment. FFS this gets people killed. And people look at me weirldly when I say I don't drink

Some people are just too god damn stubborn and act like alcohol doesn't affect them. It's really a problem in the US regardless of how much states tighten down with DUI laws.

Some people are just too god damn stubborn and act like alcohol doesn't affect them. It's really a problem in the US regardless of how much states tighten down with DUI laws.
UK has alcoholics as well, but there is plenty of public transportation for it to never be a real issue.
As you said though, it is mostly a US problem. Need to tighten down on DUI laws and loosen the weed/subscription drug laws. Such a backwards mindset.

Edit: Madness actually has a point in terms of NA, US is the toughest on DUI.

Madness

Sad on multiple levels. We are way too permissive of this bullshit behavior in the US.

The US actually has way more stringent penalties and punishments on drunk driving and vehicular homicide or manslaughter. If this was Canada or BC, the guy would probably only get 1-3 years jail, even with the victim passing away.

Just sad. I hate how many drunk drivers there are on the roads at night. I really hate driving at night because of it. I hate driving near Seattle some times as well. So many people speeding. Just takes a second to end a life.

The Lamp

umm, punish those who commits those felonies even more harshly. What is the use for patrolling if its keeps happening?

Also, if you know that you live far, make sure to have an alternative way to enjoy yourself, than drinking yourself silly and driving later.

What sort of excuse is that?

I didn't say it was an excuse. Did you, in your rational thought, really believe that I, someone who was just complaining about bad driving, was actually excusing drunk driving? No. I was simply making a hypothesis that this crap probably happens more in cities without good public transportation.

As for harsher punishment, yes, I agree, although as far as I know, the penalties are already quite harsh if you're found drunk driving.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
What the fuck. Fucking terrible

Same thing happened to that oculus rift person. What the hell???

Stoof

Rest in peace.

Drunk driving is one of the biggest ways to set me off. Fuck anyone who does it and the law should be harsher on people that do.

McBryBry

RIP. Fuck drunk drivers. Whether its your regular blue or white collar worker, or someone heading a Microsoft project, they're all put in danger when someone makes that kind of stupid mistake.

maverick40

Is drunk driving a big thing in the US? I seem to see people dying from it the whole time on the news.

In Europe we rarely see this type of headline

naitosan

The US actually has way more stringent penalties and punishments on drunk driving and vehicular homicide or manslaughter. If this was Canada or BC, the guy would probably only get 1-3 years jail, even with the victim passing away.

Just sad. I hate how many drunk drivers there are on the roads at night. I really hate driving at night because of it. I hate driving near Seattle some times as well. So many people speeding. Just takes a second to end a life.
Nice to know there's one living in same state as me. I live in Edmonds and drive through Seattle often, always afraid to drive especially in the dark.

405 or 520 are the worse.

Rest in peace...

Is drunk driving a big thing in the US? I seem to see people dying from it the whole time on the news.

In Europe we rarely see this type of headline

Ways in europe are shorter, you don't really need a car many times, in the US thats very different, without a car you can barely get anywhere.
I also think more liberal drinking age laws help. In some european countries people are allowed to drink before the are allowed to have a drivers license and I think by the time they get their license they're a bit more exprienced and responsible.

Lakitu

st5fu
RIP, drunk drivers are scum...

That's awful :( really sorry. Can't imagine the pain and anger you must feel to the other person. I hope he/she was punished appropriately.

Damn, I choked when I read that line. I can't imagine what you had to go through. My condolences.

Top Bottom