• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is laying off 1900 Activision Blizzard and Xbox employees (8% cut from the Gaming Division)

Baki

Most of these are outside the actual development, Q&A got hit the hardest development side, most of the jobs though were outside development; The legal department as well as the HR department from Activision is merging with the Microsoft one, they’ll retain what they need, but past that they don’t need the headache of running two separate legal departments and HR departments especially when both have a questionable history Activision side.

No matter what, in a merger like this you get a musical chairs scenario; too little work for too many people…You going to convince a para-legal to learn to wax the floors? An accountant to clean toilets? Convince half the people to break contract and take half the hours to let the other people stay? When there’s overlap there’s overlap.

It sucks but it’s the norm for a merger.
Same QA folks that unionized?

Palworld community manager had to delete his original tweet because weird Xbox fans were sending him and the Palworld staff death threats...

Here's his original tweet...

GEueg9TWEAAlm5q

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
ftfy.

I don't get sending death threats. I think it's time for some legislation to convict people when they do that.
Pretty much everywhere has legislation against that. It’s the prosecution side that’s tricky - it is incredibly easy to send an untraceable anonymous message, or one that can only be traced to a source with significant expenditure of time and resources (and even then, it can likely only be traced to a specific wifi network or MAC address).

Topher

Gold Member

JYc6JKe.jpeg

Saw this quote popping up. Iwata knew things better than others.

At least that one has the full quote. The one before came across to me as a bit callous, but yeah, obviously he is saying those who have to worry about their jobs are not going to perform as well. Wise words indeed, but not a "remarkably different perspective". That's conventional wisdom in management.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Quoting myself
They’re doing it to not have the red numbers in the earnings reports to calm investors so the stock numbers don’t go down during a recession. Simple as that. It’s extremely short sighted. Nobody is going to want to be acquired now. It stops here. And devs will jump ship. Now the only way is down. And if they get rid of physical games for Xbox without a meaningful hardware upgrade from a new generation getting people hyped about something…
Well, good luck.
This Is Fine GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Now I'm waiting for Phil's second Kinda Funny interview.
No need to wait. I can share the summary of his next interview right now, wherever it happens.

"You are right."
"It was tough."
"We are all learning. There was a lot of learning for us."
"We want to do right by the fans."
"We will continue to do better."
"We have taken the community feedback."
"I have never been this excited about the future of Xbox."
"I know we promised it before, and we haven't fulfilled that promise completely in the past, but now we're on the right track of delivering great games to everyone, on more devices than before."
"We have the most exciting Xbox games lined up in the future."
"I am more excited about the things we haven't shown yet."

bender

What time is it?
No need to wait. I can share the summary of his next interview right now, wherever it happens.

"You are right."
"It was tough."
"I know we promised it before, and we haven't fulfilled that promise completely in the past, but now we're on the right track of delivering great games to everyone, on more devices than before."

And we know the t-shirt that Phil will wear will not pimp the game Human Resource Machine.

Jerm411

"You are right."
"It was tough."
“Yeahhhhhh……ya know….*sigh*….the leadership team and I think about this daily (insert wide eyed look and wild hand gestures) and while it’s not something I look forward to (another wide eye look with more hand gestures)…I think about the jobs the teams have done and continue to do…ya know back compat…Gears/Forza/Halo…cloud…our PORTFOLIO~!….and I just think….when everyone plays we all win….”

Doesn't address his point at all, but that's another good example of why these mergers suck for everyone but stockholders.

They even suck for the shareholders, sadly. Long-term analysis of M&A is not one that is generally value-added in the long-term.

They are ego driven, empire building initiatives (often fueled by speculation in environments of low interest rate policies), that only seem to benefit those that are involved in the transactions themselves - investment banks, lawyers, and executives that get a short-term bonus or premium from the sale of stock.

The employees, the overarching companies, and the end shareholders ultimately get hosed.

GHG

Gold Member
You know who's still on MS payroll? All the shill influencers and professional media shills.... but don't worry, those clowns are next on the chopping block. Who the fuck need shills when soon AI will take over their jobs.

AI which is so sophisticated it tells us when it's in operation:

no man!
come on guys, I'm making amazing threads!

don't be so arrogant, I'm a stupid little machine trying to make some friends talking about technologies

We're in for some good times I tell ya.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Palworld community manager had to delete his original tweet because weird Xbox fans were sending him and the Palworld staff death threats...

GEueg9TWEAAlm5q

LOL. The people promoted and in power at games companies are the same ones who played games too as a kid. Video game employees are being fired by their own video game pals from the 1980s.

Even if they didn't play video games as a kid, the guy with a business degree in hand with an interest to start a game company is one who initially gave said employees a job to begin with. I dont see the typical graphics arts guy, QA tester or Havoc engine programmer opening up a studio and going balls deep hoping to have a successful games company hiring 200 people to make games.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

GEueg9TWEAAlm5q

Original tweet reads really weird. Makes it sound like it was a hostile takeover or something, the employees, the developers and the players didn't really have a say in the outcome. It wasn't something that we were in a position to do anything about regardless of what side of the fence you were on. One company wanted to sell to another, the only thing that could have stopped the deal was it being ruled illegal which didn't happen. Also ignores the fact that this is happening quite a bit at studios that haven't been sold.

Regardless though, gamers shouldn't be around threatening developers. The amount of crazies on social media is something else.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Original tweet reads really weird. Makes it sound like it was a hostile takeover or something, the employees, the developers and the players didn't really have a say in the outcome. It wasn't something that we were in a position to do anything about regardless of what side of the fence you were on. One company wanted to sell to another, the only thing that could have stopped the deal was it being ruled illegal which didn't happen. Also ignores the fact that this is happening quite a bit at studios that haven't been sold.

Regardless though, gamers shouldn't be around threatening developers. The amount of crazies on social media is something else.
Blaming bosses for firings is really a misdirection. But it sounds good to blame bosses. If bosses didn't have financial responsibilities for boosting performance and profits for sake of company survival (if the company is barely treading water) or simply just boosting profits, most bosses wouldnt care.

That's why in publicly traded companies there's always pressure for peak financial performance, while if someone works at a big private company there is often times no monthly or quarterly stress to make numbers. Often times private companies are owned by founders or families of some kind and they might not give a shit as long as the numbers are good enough. While I have always worked at big public companies with the usual monthly, quarterly and annual grindfest, one of my best buddies worked at a peer company that is private and run by a bunch of Italian dudes who cared more about golfing. He didn't even have the typical process orientated annual targets to strive for except just to do at least as good as last year. Another guy who worked at a giant private company said his annual target could be achieved in December. As long as he hits it by the end of the year it makes no difference if the first 3 quarters are dogshit.

What I'm getting at is it's really all the shareholders, hedge funds, pension funds etc.... who own most public company stock wanting more profits because that helps all the people who own shares directly through stock purchases or through mutual funds. So while protester Bob hates employees getting fired, in reality (whether he thinks of it or not), he actually wants companies in his stock portfolio to do well and rake in the bucks so his retired investments go up.

But it's in bad taste and will create a lot of enemies on social media if any armchair accountant says all you people with investments should stop being greedy expecting maximum ROI and allow companies to waste money to sake of saving jobs. And if that means a shittier ROI or your stock price drops just live with it so people can have a job. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Spencer visits reeee? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fuckin lol if true
It was always evident that Phil and the Xbox leadership team browse these gaming forums.

The proof is in the pudding. Half of their gaming decisions are based on the stupid posts some hardcore delusions Xbox fanboys make on these forums. That's why they are in such a mess.

The sane folks here already could see that they lurk on REE and even GAF.
I'm pretty sure he posts here under an alias, or at the very least, reads here.

That emotional interview he did where he effectively threw in the towel revealed all, this is a man who reads all the commentary.
im almost %100 sure, half his day is spent on forum browsing, no joke.
this much of an mindset overlap is crazy otherwise.

So I'm gonna post what I posted earlier for Phil to see:
Hi Phil, if you're seeing this post:

fuck you mean girls GIF

GHG

Gold Member
It was always evident that Phil and the Xbox leadership team browse these gaming forums.

The proof is in the pudding. Half of their gaming decisions are based on the stupid posts some hardcore delusions Xbox fanboys make on these forums. That's why they are in such a mess.

The sane folks here already could see that they lurk on REE and even GAF.

So I'm gonna post what I posted earlier for Phil to see:

He probably has all the avengers on ignore by this point.

Season 1 Waiting GIF by Paramount+

Xbox sure do love an echo-chamber, it's how they've been operating for the best part of a decade.

Last edited:

Noxxera

ZzZzZzZZzzzzz Of course everyone is upset over ppl getting fired. Cmon THINK FOR A FUCKING SECOND instead of being ruled by emotions. Make sense Microsoft keeps useless fkin jobs that only cost money and doesn't produce any meaningful right, as long ppl have their jobs? LOL. Get fkin real losers.

Ic3man

Why are people surprised? they are there to make money like any other business. It's not a welfare company and jobs become redundant. I feel sorry for everyone losing the jobs but that's life.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Why are people surprised? they are there to make money like any other business. It's not a welfare company and jobs become redundant. I feel sorry for everyone losing the jobs but that's life.
So if they couldn't make money off of these people and teams, why did they acquire them in the first place?

They acquired these teams only to lay them off, and games only to cancel them mid-production, and fanatics cheered them on during their acquisitions? Make it make sense.

Ic3man

Probably not, Also did they get rid of all of them or just the ones not needed anymore? People get fired everyday for various different reasons.

Maybe the games they were working on was not up to standards or was taking too long to finish? Six years to make a game and it's still ways off, I'd fire them too.

Ozzie666

Microsoft taking a page out of the 1990's EA playbook and killing gaming hopes and dreams. Using a different method, but slowly getting there.

I'm not sure how they expected Hi-fi rush to be profitable with day 1 game pass and hoping Steam would pick up the slack? No Switch and PS release, what were they expecting.

#BRINGBACKDON

Blood Borne

1. Lots of people are over exaggerating the implications of this layoff

2. Lots of people are salty about MS purchasing ABK and are using this to spell doom and gloom for Xbox

3. MS history of managing gaming studios have been abysmal, hence some concerns here are valid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom