• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is laying off 1900 Activision Blizzard and Xbox employees (8% cut from the Gaming Division)

Still waiting for your fud
Elmer Fudd Smile GIF by Looney Tunes

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Too many means too many to afford/maintain/manage not that they're lacking in studios. I didn't say they don't have enough.

Reading skills are going seriously downhill.
You implied that they are lacking in games because they lack studios "if anything the general drought of games suggests they probably still need a couple more studios". I'm saying they have plenty of studios already to get the job done.

Thus, in this case, the reading skills are lacking on your end my friend — and this is on top of the fact that you got so worked up over a simple debate. :)

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I run 3 businesses myself, so far acquired 1, and had to fire 30% of staff due to them doing same things. people need to get real.

Publisher of the year 2 years ago, still no game to compete with forza horizon 5 so many years after release, sot is the most successful Rare game, hi-fi rush was goty contender, flight sim is in league of their own and we are getting new one this year, age of empires are top rts games. We have just had dev direct with warm feedback, starfield ended up being solid game (not masterpiece) but solid game. Only game that can be called shit is the vampire fps which title I dont even remember. You like to generalise much, I do to, but neogaf doesn’t like my opinions about Sony games.

Hi Phil.

StereoVsn

Extremely bad analogy.

Xbox Game Studios had 2 painters because they needed 2 painters.
ABK had 4 painters because they needed 4 painters.

Now ABK and XGS need 6 painters. If Microsoft fires 2 because they can't afford them, it means:

(1) either slowing down the paintwork,
2) overworking those 4 painters into doing the work of 6 painters, or
(3) doing a half-ass job.
Let’s add 4) All of the above!

MS is firing developers from different teams seemingly at random and in a chaotic fashion.

They are firing whole AKB support teams and outsourcing them to cheap (and crap) 3rd parties to cut minor costs…

This is a company that is worth literally the most on Earth. Stop defending fucking $3trillion corporations who mainly are a downside to overall gaming especially with these acquisitions.

Fuck, the defenders here astound me. Unless you are getting paid, then go ahead.

The IT job market is just flooded. Absolutely flooded...

Tough to not think this is a coordinated effort to lower salaries with some desperation, as that asshole from Australia let it slip.
What asshole from Australia was it, and what did they say? Be interesting to hear it.

So here's a basic and simple example.

You own a company that paints houses and have 2 painters working for you. Now you take over another company and they employ 6 painters but you only need 4 more to handle the workload. Do you keep them employed because you feel sorry for them or do you get rid of them? It's basic business practice.

You own a failing business that paints houses and have 2 painters working for you. You beg your daddy to borrow 70 billion dollars to buy out another company that employ 6 painters. But you only need 4 more to handle the workload. You fire the painters, piss in the paint then tell your current customers to go fucking paint their own houses.

FunkMiller

But I was told Xbox was making so much money. Why lay off people?

Because profits go down when you have to pay people wages. Shareholders don’t like this. Which causes stock prices to drop. Therefore, it’s better to sack people and make the rest do more for no more money. This pleases shareholders. Stock price goes up.

Also, executives at the company are shareholders, so they don’t get fired of course. All those useless cunts stay in position, while the actual workers get fired.

This is why unionisation is a good thing for low paid workers. No matter what some fucking idiots around here say.

Microsoft bought a games company, claiming it was for the good of the industry, then sacked a load of people who make games, while rewarding executives.

You‘ve got to be some kind of cretin to think that’s good for business, or good for video gaming.

Last edited:
Your implied that they are lacking in games because they lack studios "if anything the general drought of games suggests they probably still need a couple more studios". I'm saying they have plenty of studios already to get the job done.

Thus, in this case, the reading skills are lacking on your end my friend — and this is on top of the fact that you got so worked up over a simple debate. :)

I'm worked up because you can't read and you keep doubling down.

The context here is that I don't think they'll have mass layoffs because they don't have too much to handle at the moment and they may still be in the market to buy a couple of studios, not that they lack studios.

What a leap on your part.

Extremely bad analogy.

Xbox Game Studios had 2 painters because they needed 2 painters.
ABK had 4 painters because they needed 4 painters.

Now ABK and XGS need 6 painters. If Microsoft fires 2 because they can't afford them, it means:

(1) either slowing down the paintwork,
2) overworking those 4 painters into doing the work of 6 painters, or
(3) doing a half-ass job.
Yep
This "redundancy" excuse don't hold if they are outsourcing.

I had no hopes for MS being able to handle new studios, looks like they are doing the exact opposite of what is necessary to thrive.

Again, the exact same thing Saumus said years ago about MS not understanding how entertainment business works.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So they fired the rest before they could unionise

This is bullshit. They most likely just delayed any cuts for optics purposes. Being in a union does not mean jobs are "safer", it just adds extra wrinkles to the process when they decide to axe jobs.

The way unionization is presented as some magical panacea by these activist clowns is laughable.

wow. didn't know the xbox tax dated thousands of years

the xbox hate is massive and growing.
The Xbox Tax dates back to 1773, when angry Sony fans took over a ship carrying Xboxes in Boston Harbor and threw them into the water, destroying the entire shipment. This was the first in a series of events which led to the American Revolution

Historical Footnote: The group which carried out the Boston Xbox Party was called the "Sons of Liberty" which was the later inspiration for Hideo Kojima when he created Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty as a timed exclusive title on PS2 hundreds of years later

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I'm worked up because you can't read and you keep doubling down.

The context here is that I don't think they'll have mass layoffs because they don't have too much to handle at the moment and they may still be in the market to buy a couple of studios, not that they lack studios.

What a leap on your part.
My friend, you clearly got defensive based on being challenged and not because I can't read (which doesn't make sense anyway). To the basics, I tackled what you said: "Sony doesn't have too many studios to support".

Particularly in relation to Xbox — the subject of the thread, I took that as a relatively low amount of studios. There aren't many ways to misinterpret it and I wasn't the only one who saw it that way. Its point was then further explored by the next.... "if anything the general drought of games suggests they probably still need a couple more studios".

That doubles down on quantity. That a lower count of developers is the cause of their lacking 1st party output (and this has to be what you meant since you said they probably need more). I think there are a number of reasons their 2023 output was on the lower side, but lack of studios is not it (they had less last gen and did not struggle to put out games). We've not seen what many of the heavy hitters are working on and this gen is just reaching its midpoint. Plenty of time left to show the goods and they certainly have a good amount of developers to get the job done. Of course, their release schedule could improve and I expect it to, and a couple acquisitions of devs they work closely with probably wouldn't hurt, so the ball's in Sony's court right now!

Ultimately, I may have misunderstood you, but I'm not a mind reader. I worked with what you posted. Hopefully, that clears some things up because I generally respect and agree with your views around here and it wasn't a personal attack. :goog_cool:

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Blaming bosses for firings is really a misdirection. But it sounds good to blame bosses. If bosses didn't have financial responsibilities for boosting performance and profits for sake of company survival (if the company is barely treading water) or simply just boosting profits, most bosses wouldnt care.

That's why in publicly traded companies there's always pressure for peak financial performance, while if someone works at a big private company there is often times no monthly or quarterly stress to make numbers. Often times private companies are owned by founders or families of some kind and they might not give a shit as long as the numbers are good enough. While I have always worked at big public companies with the usual monthly, quarterly and annual grindfest, one of my best buddies worked at a peer company that is private and run by a bunch of Italian dudes who cared more about golfing. He didn't even have the typical process orientated annual targets to strive for except just to do at least as good as last year. Another guy who worked at a giant private company said his annual target could be achieved in December. As long as he hits it by the end of the year it makes no difference if the first 3 quarters are dogshit.

What I'm getting at is it's really all the shareholders, hedge funds, pension funds etc.... who own most public company stock wanting more profits because that helps all the people who own shares directly through stock purchases or through mutual funds. So while protester Bob hates employees getting fired, in reality (whether he thinks of it or not), he actually wants companies in his stock portfolio to do well and rake in the bucks so his retired investments go up.

But it's in bad taste and will create a lot of enemies on social media if any armchair accountant says all you people with investments should stop being greedy expecting maximum ROI and allow companies to waste money to sake of saving jobs. And if that means a shittier ROI or your stock price drops just live with it so people can have a job. Good luck with that.

I can see what you are saying there, seems reasonable. I was referring more towards the statement to stop supporting mergers and the red & green bit. Since the tweet seemed directed at the player (the people made fun of for gaming in their youth?) I don't see how that makes a difference one way or another.

It's the shareholders and all that like you said.

Last edited:
Top Bottom