• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is laying off 1900 Activision Blizzard and Xbox employees (8% cut from the Gaming Division)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That sucks, why would they do this out of the blue.
Q9kv459.jpg

Oh yeah, there might be cause here.
Geez. The dramatics.

I got laid off in a restructuring like 15 or so years ago (almost 20 years) and a bunch of us were deemed redundant as they combined two siloed departments into one. So it wasnt even an outside company pushing their weight. It was our own execs making the call. All I did was brush up the resume, get hold of recruiters and got another job about 4-5 weeks after my last day. I got a job so fast I didnt even collect one Unemployment Insurance pay out.

Last edited:

Hugare

Nice try but, no need to be insulting...
The post you quoted was total MS revenues!

"They only made 219 billion in revenue in 2023, so times are tough."
And you say that I was moving goal posts.

I already explained to you that I meant Xbox. And profit ≠ revenue.

So actually show some Xbox profit numbers or we can stop this discussion about semantics

Since when? They are a publicly traded company so… I’m sure you are aware how that works

*MS doesnt report profit numbers of the Xbox division

Last edited:
Don't think you are reading it right. You can't tell if gaming is making a profit or not from that graph.

Yes you can. If it were profitable its line would feed into the larger green line. Think of the graph like a paper shredding machine joining the paper and splitting it both at the center.

Again, the Xbox line is aligned with the larger red line, not the large green one. If it were feeding into profits it wouldn't have shot off to the red at the first available opportunity.

If you only use contractors, nobody can unionise.

Think About It GIF by Identity

All the lobbying that took place with the unions and getting them to speak out in favour of the deal looks hilarious now. Played everyone like a fiddle and they all fell for it.

This might actually be a big deal and will make the regulators look straight up 'tarded.

They might have to start doing that after the ABK deal

Will shareholders care enough to make them do it? Or make them report more transparency? They generally haven't cared up to this point, foolish as that is (IMO).

Last edited:

devilNprada

Yes you can. If it were profitable its line would feed into the larger green line.
Sorry thick.. the green and red is the total revenue bucket broken out to cogs and gross profit. It stops allocating by division after the revenue bucket.
*MS doesnt report profit numbers of the Xbox division
That's not what you posted! and were insulting that I can't read your mind....

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yes you can. If it were profitable its line would feed into the larger green line. Think of the graph like a paper shredding machine joining the paper and splitting it both at the center.

Again, the Xbox line is aligned with the larger red line, not the large green one. If it were feeding into profits it wouldn't have shot off to the red at the first opportunity.
Yes you are reading it wrong. All the lines feed into one big pot of revenue they are just ordered by size of revenue. Then the one total revenue figure separates out into gross profit and cost of revenue without attributation of where those costs are coming from.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
So you’re saying that MS fired these people just because they are evil? In 12 years they have increase the number of employees by +121k… but no they are the embodiment of evil, hiring +121k people just for the pleasure of let them go right after 😂

MS is not firing 1900 people who were on their payroll. They have bought a brand new toy company and got rid of a chunk of it, after lying on the conditions upon which they would carry out the merger. On top of that, they bribed made a deal with the CWA, whose workers have not been impacted. I guess it was just luck that those were not "redundant". ABK was a profitable company and there was no objective reason for them to get rid of those employees. So, factually, Microsoft breached the conditions for the merger as soon as it got approved.

So, did MS inform the CMA they would do this? If the answer is "no", why? If this is just "business as usual" why all these lies?

onQ123

Forth

Neophyte
Fuck this company and I'm so glad I got out of the Xbox ecosystem before Christmas. I wish I never purchased a Xbox console ever and I'll never touch another Microsoft product again.
I know Sony have their own mistakes too but Microsoft have been nothing but a plague to the gaming landscape.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Again, the Xbox line is aligned with the larger red line, not the large green one. If it were feeding into profits it wouldn't have shot off to the red at the first available opportunity.
Stop tracing the pretty colors and read the actual descriptions lol. Do you really think that Azure, Office, and Windows somehow magically doesn't have cost of revenue?

Edit: And if you follow it to the right, you cannot with a straight face tell me that the Xbox division does not have operating costs, pay taxes, or spend in R&D.

Last edited:

MikeM

IMO this is less about the merger cutting redundancy. if that was the case we would see more front office cut. The cuts seems to be more salary and project based. The caliber of artist they are cutting is ridiculous. Microsoft is getting these studios in line for gamepass to pump out mediocre to good games at volume.
Who needs artists when you have AI?

- daddy Phil

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
MS is not firing 1900 people who were on their payroll. They have bought a brand new toy company and got rid of a chunk of it, after lying on the conditions upon which they would carry out the merger. On top of that, they bribed made a deal with the CWA, whose workers have not been impacted. I guess it was just luck that those were not "redundant". ABK was a profitable company and there was no objective reason for them to get rid of those employees. So, factually, Microsoft breached the conditions for the merger as soon as it got approved.

So, did MS inform the CMA they would do this? If the answer is "no", why? If this is just "business as usual" why all these lies?
What has this got to do with the CMA? Activision let 8% of their workforce go in 2019, were they not profitable then?

Three

The IT job market is just flooded. Absolutely flooded...

Tough to not think this is a coordinated effort to lower salaries with some desperation, as that asshole from Australia let it slip.
There is definitely some monopsony going on in the tech industry

Mortisfacio

Banned
Fuck this company and I'm so glad I got out of the Xbox ecosystem before Christmas. I wish I never purchased a Xbox console ever and I'll never touch another Microsoft product again.
I know Sony have their own mistakes too but Microsoft have been nothing but a plague to the gaming landscape.

Microsoft let go of 8%. Sony, after acquiring Bungie, also let go of 8% (technically 8.3%).

We can sit here and play the morality game, but the reality is this is overhead and is how large companies operate. Sony does the same, as has been proven multiple times.

SenkiDala

Microsoft let go of 8%. Sony, after acquiring Bungie, also let go of 8% (technically 8.3%).

We can sit here and play the morality game, but the reality is this is overhead and is how large companies operate. Sony does the same, as has been proven multiple times.
Except here it's Microsoft who took the decision to do this. In the case of Bungie it's Bungie themselves who took the decision, Bungie is an independent studio.

Stooky

Geez. The dramatics.

I got laid off in a restructuring like 15 or so years ago (almost 20 years) and a bunch of us were deemed redundant as they combined two siloed departments into one. So it wasnt even an outside company pushing their weight. It was our own execs making the call. All I did was brush up the resume, get hold of recruiters and got another job about 4-5 weeks after my last day. I got a job so fast I didnt even collect one Unemployment Insurance pay out.
20 years ago.... we're in totally different market today. Game dev industry is a small market. Over 5000 cut jobs in the 2024 and there are hints of more coming.

So here's a basic and simple example.

You own a company that paints houses and have 2 painters working for you. Now you take over another company and they employ 6 painters but you only need 4 more to handle the workload. Do you keep them employed because you feel sorry for them or do you get rid of them? It's basic business practice.

Then you grow your operations.

Baki

This might actually be a big deal and will make the regulators look straight up 'tarded.

Will shareholders care enough to make them do it? Or make them report more transparency? They generally haven't cared up to this point, foolish as that is (IMO).
You’re reading the graph wrong. MS does not disclosing operating profit for Xbox.

King Dazzar

There's two key points/thoughts I have on all of this. Aside from my empathy for those impacted.

Firstly, yes redundancies often come off the back of acquisitions. But this is why allowing such huge sized publisher's to be consolidated in the first place, wasn't ever a great move for gamers. And leading with that into the second. How many talented devs and gaming industry skilled workers, now simply leave the industry all together, never to return. The scale of that loss is surely larger than it ever would have been, had the publishers remained independent. Lets not forget, these lay offs are across Bethesda and ABK.

In the 2020s, Xbox has been working overtime to curate, project, and enforce a market image composed of good vibes and even better intentions. While its corporate efforts to engulf as much talent as legally possible continued, so did Xbox’s precise infiltration of fandom spaces and some media circles. These two concurrent pushes resulted in a landscape that was, at best, reluctant to discuss the potential harm of its acquisitions and, at worst, actively rejected it because Xbox’s “good guy” image and messaging had so thoroughly seeped into the foundations of shared community spaces and broader gaming consciousness.

Blue Check accounts obfuscated concerns over such an aggressive consolidation of workers and IP by espousing recycled Xbox talking points and stitched-together notions of community, as understood by its relationship to explicit and unwavering support for Xbox. “But Xbox needs a way to regain a share of the console market!” “This will actually lead to more job security and creative freedom!” “IMAGINE THE HEXEN REBOOT!”. A world was created in which the very idea of being opposed to the deal was to be effectively opposed to fun, too economically left-leaning, or just a hater. It’s the kind of hearts and minds campaign that would deserve to be dissected for its effectiveness if it weren’t so existentially terrifying.

You’re reading the graph wrong. MS does not disclosing operating profit for Xbox.

That's not my fault, then. It's theirs for making such a stupid graph. They'll disclose operating profit for much bigger divisions but not gaming? And shareholders see no problem in this?

So basically the graph is selectively showing pertinent information and obfuscating other information that should otherwise be expressly communicated in the same graph. Do they have schizophrenics making these for them?

PALWORLD has been such a slapping success that Microsoft has decided they don't even need employees to helm their own studios anymore. They are the proud supporters of the 'Better' Pokemon Company. Layoffs for everybody and Phil can use the savings to buyout Pocket Pair.

Going by their Twitter statement, Pocketpair would vehemently refuse any offer from Microsoft to be acquired. Some people care about more than just money. You know, things like integrity & values and whatnot :)

Sorry thick.. the green and red is the total revenue bucket broken out to cogs and gross profit. It stops allocating by division after the revenue bucket.

That's not what you posted! and were insulting that I can't read your mind....

Yes you are reading it wrong. All the lines feed into one big pot of revenue they are just ordered by size of revenue. Then the one total revenue figure separates out into gross profit and cost of revenue without attributation of where those costs are coming from.

Stop tracing the pretty colors and read the actual descriptions lol. Do you really think that Azure, Office, and Windows somehow magically doesn't have cost of revenue?

Edit: And if you follow it to the right, you cannot with a straight face tell me that the Xbox division does not have operating costs, pay taxes, or spend in R&D.

Okay then, suppose you all are right. How much profit do you realistically think the Xbox division, with a revenue of only $3.98 billion that quarter, contributed towards the $22.3 billion? And keep the following things in mind:

1) Xbox hardware has on average been taking ~ $200 loss each system sold​
2) The only big software release in that quarter was Starfield, in the final month, and going by Steam estimates the game probably "only" did ~ 3 million max on the platform within September, or $180 - $240 million in software revenue.​
3) Sales of Starfield on Xbox were likely at best half of Steam sales, so another $150 million in revenue​
4) Game Pass subs on console have stagnated even before 2023 arrived​
5) Any Steam sale of software factors out a 30% cut to Valve which isn't reflected in Microsoft's Xbox revenue​
6) Salaries, bonuses, pensions, coverage plans etc. for all employees at the Xbox/Microsoft Gaming division have to be factored out from​
whatever the revenue is​

...I could probably go on, but regardless....

Again, what realistic amount do you think Xbox contributed to the net profits of MS that quarter? Let's even assume EVERY Game Pass subscriber has GP Ultimate; that's $1.35 billion in revenue before factoring out the costs; if MS spend $1 billion a year in licensing costs for Game Pass, then that would automatically drop the Game Pass number down to $1.1 billion...and that doesn't factor in costs for running & maintaining the servers, or reflect the real makeup of subscribers (Ultimate, PC GP, Xbox GP, GP Core, and various people getting discounts on their sub via cheap trails or buying subs off CD Keys etc.). Realistically you're looking at more like $900 million that quarter, then shave off say 25% for those getting discounts on the sub bringing it down to $675 million as a realistic profit margin on Game Pass that quarter...and that number is probably still too high.

So you have that, and we know they're losing money on the hardware of the consoles...they probably make money off the peripherals but probably not that much, then you have software profits but keep in mind even games like Sea of Thieves generally move their numbers at lower prices on Steam, which makes up the majority of its sales, and MS pays Valve a cut of that revenue no matter what. Games like Sea of Thieves are also the exception when it comes to MS games moving numbers and MTX at a reasonable pace; for every SOT you've got at least 3 RedFall-like situations of games essentially dead or stagnant in sales or add-on revenue content (Forza Motorsport, Halo Infinite, Gears 5, Pentiment, HiFi Rush etc.). Even adding them together you wouldn't get massive revenue numbers. Also since this quarter was up to end of September, you can't include ABK titles in the revenue reported for the time, so that means no COD, no Diablo IV, no World of Warcraft etc.

So I'll ask one more time, what is the realistic amount of profit you think Xbox contributed to MS's net profits that quarter? And this is also assuming their accounting practices are 1:1 with a company like say Sony...which we know they aren't. That's why a lot of people ran with the "Xbox makes more profit than PlayStation" FUD that Derek initially posted before he realized you couldn't directly compare the numbers of the two brands because of differing accounting practices, hence he removed that info and disowned it. Didn't stop a lot of folks from running with it anyway, though :/

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That's not my fault, then. It's theirs for making such a stupid graph. They'll disclose operating profit for much bigger divisions but not gaming? And shareholders see no problem in this?

So basically the graph is selectively showing pertinent information and obfuscating other information that should otherwise be expressly communicated in the same graph. Do they have schizophrenics making these for them?
FWIW, I don't think you are wrong. I think you read the graph right. I read it the same way.

So either we both are wrong, or we both are right.

FWIW, I don't think you are wrong. I think you read the graph right. I read it the same way.

So either we both are wrong, or we both are right.

I mean, it would be the most obvious way to read the graph, right? If the division produced profit, its line would have split off further in the timeline and eventually into the net profit side that emerges on the other side.

You can even see with Azure, while it contributes to Net Profit it also contributes to Operating Expenses. So if they can show both for Azure...why not for Xbox/Microsoft Gaming?

Clearly we can assume Gaming is hugely profitable for them, so much so that they won't disclose it! Makes perfect sense. I've argued with so many people on this board about this and they live in a fantasy where the gaming division is wildly successful and profitable, especially GamePass.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I mean, it would be the most obvious way to read the graph, right? If the division produced profit, its line would have split off further in the timeline and eventually into the net profit side that emerges on the other side.

You can even see with Azure, while it contributes to Net Profit it also contributes to Operating Expenses. So if they can show both for Azure...why not for Xbox/Microsoft Gaming?
Yep.

Also, another sign that these are not just random, senseless lines is that the width of each line is different, and it represents the proportion of ratio each department contributes. If the green line from the gaming division isn't merging with the net profit section, after the operating costs are cut, there are no income there that's being added.

Top Bottom