• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is laying off 1900 Activision Blizzard and Xbox employees (8% cut from the Gaming Division)

Everyone is doing it.. Boeing’s planes are falling apart but they are more worried about the quota.
Yes it is a sickness of the highest order. Diversity and quotas matter more than life itself to these morons. Sad what is happening to Boeing because of this. Everyone is doing it because everyone has gone mad.

Baki

Obviously a diversity hire. MS have gone all in on pronouns and diversity. What a sham either way and she walked away with who knows how much more money. Meanwhile 1900 workers got the short end of the stick. Fuck MS.
Why do you assume incompetence because she’s a minority. You wouldn’t be questioning her credentials if she was white man. You should do some soul searching.

3icFHBk.png

USsMS40.gif

Astray

She was never there for the benefit of the other employees at the company, she was literally used just to sway public opinion.

It was always going to be more palatable for the simpletons and media when it's an "attractive" minority woman. And it worked, if you were in the public eye and say anything against her behaviour or what shes saying and you risk getting labelled "anti woman" or "anti minority" (and you risk the ire of the seemingly millions of people who were simping over her). Let's be honest, if it were some old white man behaving the way that she did it wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective.

Between her and Phil Spencer, my god there are some hopelessly lost and impressionable people out there.
She's a spin doctor and one of the very best in corporate America.

She has literal substack articles about how if SBF lied differently he would not have gone bankrupt.

The reason she was brought on board is because they needed someone to come up with and execute a PR strategy that would flummox the gaming public into supporting this merger and making anyone who dissents seem like the bad guy. And she succeeded at her job.

Last edited:

demigod

This last twelve months has cemented my personal opinion that Microsoft are the worst thing to happen to gaming in the last forty years.
Honestly, fuck that company.
Weird how people just found that out now. I bought a 360 but ditched it and gave them the middle finger after ps3 came out.

- paid online
- horse armor
- 1 month cod dlc exclusivity

Now they invented pay to play early for their 1st party games since they don’t get much money for them being on gamepass. So much for Day 1.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Weird how people just found that out now. I bought a 360 but ditched it and gave them the middle finger after ps3 came out.

- paid online
- horse armor
- 1 month cod dlc exclusivity

Now they invented pay to play early for their 1st party games since they don’t get much money for them being on gamepass. So much for Day 1.
And Sony does paid online, mtx and exclusivity deals too including COD deals the past 10 years. Sony has done more COD deals longer than MS did, and MS even owns them now. And the partnership deal still goes on for another year or two.

demigod

And Sony does paid online, mtx and exclusivity deals too including COD deals the past 10 years. Sony has done more COD deals longer than MS did, and MS even owns them now. And the partnership deal still goes on for another year or two.
Did you miss the part where I said ms invented them?

And no, ps3 online was free. They figured they might as well charge because of suckers paying for live.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Did you miss the part where I said ms invented them?

And no, ps3 online was free. They figured they might as well charge because of suckers paying for live.
And dont forget Sony coming out first with sub plan gaming with PS Now. That god awful rip off sub plan where they first tried renting out games to people for week or month at a time. I remember them trying to charge $30 for 30 days of Saints Row when you could had bought the disc off Amazon for $15. Nice try Sony. Nobody jumped on that scam, so they changed it to a typical sub plan pricing structure. They tried selling PS Now for $45 per quarter. $180/yr for a terrible selection of games.

And you paid for Sony online. You got sucked into free online and than right before PS4 launched Jack Tretton Announced PS4 MP would have a fee. lol

Last edited:

demigod

And dont forget Sony coming out first with sub plan gaming with PS Now. That god awful rip off sub plan where they first tried renting out games to people for week or month at a time. I remember them trying to charge $30 for 30 days of Saints Row when you could had bought the disc off Amazon for $15. Nice try Sony. Nobody jumped on that scam, so they changed it to a typical sub plan pricing structure. They tried selling PS Now for $45 per quarter. $180/yr for a terrible selection of games.

And you paid for Sony online. You got sucked into free online and than right before PS4 launched Jack Tretton Announced PS4 MP would have a fee. lol

PSNow was made because there’s no way to emulate PS3 games. Now it’s been expanded but it still hasn’t replaced the tradition of buying and owning your games. I’m glad you acknowledge gamepass is nothing but a rental service.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PSNow was made because there’s no way to emulate PS3 games. Now it’s been expanded but it still hasn’t replaced the tradition of buying and owning your games. I’m glad you acknowledge gamepass is nothing but a rental service.
For sure. And so is Netflix and Spotify.

Why would I pay money for a sub plan, play it and then go buy it paying even more? Thats the point of sub plans.

Just like I'm going to play MLB The Show again without paying a dime extra. Only suckers pay full price.

I can understand not being in the firing line.

But a CEO's statements can calm things down and arrest the negative momentum. A statement/interview almost always comes to calm things down. Phil's Kinda Funny interview had the same purpose after Redfall's failure.

That has been surprisingly missing, which makes me think there may be another bandaid they're waiting to rip before that inevitable statement/interview comes.
A game launching in an unacceptable state like Redfall affects consumers directly as they are the ones purchasing the end product. It was only natural that Phil would want to assuage concerns about product quality.

Employees getting laid-off affects the out-of-work individuals and company morale overall, but not necessarily the consumers who buy the products. Outside of forums like this, the vast majority of consumers don't care and it makes no sense for a CEO to address consumers for such an event.

Why do you assume incompetence because she’s a minority. You wouldn’t be questioning her credentials if she was white man. You should do some soul searching.
These people are extremely insecure. Let them express themselves in this safe space though, it's especially funny for me seeing them squirm and feel insufficient when a woman or a person with cultural/ethnic background different from themselves gets ahead in life.

tmlDan

yea, just saw that, a TON of people laid off in the esports divisions.
Really sad for me since i watch the Toronto teams in both OW and COD, they just won the major a couple of days ago and the price pools got decreased. Nobody knew till they showed it on screen.

Last edited:

Phase

Because only white people know how to screw on bolt’s properly?
Competent people have been being replaced by quota hiring for many years now. Bloomberg's 2021 article showing 94% of new hires (in Fortune 500 I think) were minorities in a country that is majority White tells us that they're not hiring the most talented or competent employees they could.

Baki

Competent people have been being replaced by quota hiring for many years now. Bloomberg's 2021 article showing 94% of new hires (in Fortune 500 I think) were minorities in a country that is majority White tells us that they're not hiring the most talented or competent employees they could.
You are literally basing their competency based on their ethnic background. There is no need to feel threatened by a diverse workforce.

Phase

You are literally basing their competency based on their ethnic background. There is no need to feel threatened by a diverse workforce.
It has nothing to do with being threatened. Here is an example. You have 90% asian country with another 10% white. If 94% of your hiring is from the small 10% pool of whites and you don't consider the other 90% you aren't going to be getting the most talented and competent candidates for your positions.

Baki

That's not what that post is saying at all.
It literally is. They are saying that these people must not be competent because they are an ethnic background that isn't the majority. That is literally their entire argument. They throw out a stat related to % of diverse hires and then mentions that the country is majority white. It's possible the poster doesn't realise the implication of what they're claiming and I hope we can have a conductive discussion.

It has nothing to do with being threatened. Here is an example. You have 90% asian country with another 10% white. If 94% of your hiring is from the small 10% pool of whites and you don't consider the other 90% you aren't going to be getting the most talented and competent candidates for your positions.

FYI - No sourcing on your prior stat. But regarding this topic, when assessing hiring discrimination based on race, you need to take account a combination of qualitative and quantitative data to make assertions about widespread mishiring. For example, in a sector like Aeronautic engineering, you would look at the demographics of graduated engineering students, demographics of the engineers that remain in the industry, qualitative data looking into why other demographics are not entering the field and that's just the beginning of the type of data that would need to be examined.

However, it seems that you've seen some high level stat online, and now, in your 'gut' feel like there must be discrimination against white people and the non-white people are unable to deliver good products. That's what is interpreted by 'diversity quotas' hurting products.

Last edited:

Xenon

Obviously a diversity hire. MS have gone all in on pronouns and diversity. What a sham either way and she walked away with who knows how much more money. Meanwhile 1900 workers got the short end of the stick. Fuck MS.
I have no idea what she did or if she was worth it, (prob not)but I see no pronouns in the bio and this tweet seems out of place for dei disciple.

xiskza

It literally is. They are saying that these people must not be competent because they are an ethnic background that isn't the majority. That is literally their entire argument. They throw out a stat related to % of diverse hires and then mentions that the country is majority white. It's possible the poster doesn't realise the implication of what they're claiming and I hope we can have a conductive discussion.

FYI - No sourcing on your prior stat. But regarding this topic, when assessing hiring discrimination based on race, you need to take account a combination of qualitative and quantitative data to make assertions about widespread mishiring. For example, in a sector like Aeronautic engineering, you would look at the demographics of graduated engineering students, demographics of the engineers that remain in the industry, qualitative data looking into why other demographics are not entering the field and that's just the beginning of the type of data that would need to be examined.

However, it seems that you've seen some high level stat online, and now, in your 'gut' feel like there must be discrimination against white people and the non-white people are unable to deliver good products. That's what is interpreted by 'diversity quotas' hurting products.

DEI practices are trash in any sector, spare me the optics. You're telling me that out of the most competent people available to be hired, 90% of them were non-white in a field that is majority white? Oh please...

These people are extremely insecure. Let them express themselves in this safe space though, it's especially funny for me seeing them squirm and feel insufficient when a woman or a person with cultural/ethnic background different from themselves gets ahead in life.
There’s a difference between a “diversity” hire, and hiring someone who is “divers” because they got the credentials for the job. The thing people complain about is the former, and rightfully so.

Nobody would care if the owner of any big company is of a certain nationality or type of human being, as long as the credentials check out, so you can trust those people to do a great job.

Except racists, which are to be honest mostly the woke people because they segregate people on their race and gender etc.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
DEI practices are trash in any sector, spare me the optics. You're telling me that out of the most competent people available to be hired, 90% of them were non-white in a field that is majority white? Oh please...

This debate is old, and I am surprised that people still don't get it. It is not because DEI practices are stupid that there is not good reasons to consider some parts of the population discrimined against. There is no lack of people that can do a job with good training. In theory you can mix DEI with good workforce. Why and how it may seems to lead to fucks ups should be beyong this thread, but Baki argument that more data is needed is true. Not the same country, but South Africa as the same problem, just with another minority. I am curious of your opinion on that.
There’s a difference between a “diversity” hire, and hiring someone who is “divers” because they got the credentials for the job. The thing people complain about is the former, and rightfully so.

Nobody would care if the owner of any big company is of a certain nationality or type of human being, as long as the credentials check out, so you can trust those people to do a great job.

Except racists, which are to be honest mostly the woke people because they segregate people on their race and gender etc.
The problem is that to get the credentials you have to work harder and have some barriers that make it hard all the way from being born to your death. Not the same case at all, but a decade ago a huge scandal happened in Japan. Because some people had a problem with women becoming doctors, they lowered their results in university test to make more men pass than women. How can the law fight against that? Sadly with DEI practices. As I entered the discussion and did not read all posts from the participants, please tell me if I am misunderstood you.

South Africa though... it seems as though all that held their economy together was the white tyrant and now they are kinda still leading in Africa but also bordering failed state.

Phase

South Africa though... it seems as though all that held their economy together was the white tyrant and now they are kinda still leading in Africa but also bordering failed state.
South Africa's descent is similar to other places, like Haiti, or Detroit, but we can't get into that here because the conversation would get too real and this is a video game forum.

twilo99

Wow those are big numbers. I don't see those jobs returning in places like UPS. AI is going to be put on the fast track I think.

AI will certainly have an impact, especially in the tech sector where from what I’m reading around 8000 people were let go across 58 companies.

I don’t know how much AI has to do with what UPS did, that one is rough..

A lot of economists look at shipping and freight in general as an indicator for how the economy is doing, so UPS laying off so many workers is probably not a good look

Last edited:

Phase

AI will certainly have an impact, especially in the tech sector where from what I’m reading around 8000 people were let go across 58 companies.

I don’t know how much AI has to do with what UPS did, that one is rough..

A lot of economists look at shipping and freight in general as an indicator for how the economy is doing, so UPS laying off so many workers is probably not a good look
You're probably right about AI and shipping. I do wonder, though, when companies like amazon are going to start deploying full-scale automation. It feels like it might come sooner than later.

Xenon

These guys could be following Twitter's lead. Cause they dumped a huge amount of employees and were still able to function.

Solidus_T

These guys could be following Twitter's lead. Cause they dumped a huge amount of employees and were still able to function.
Twitter barely functions. Most features are broken, and the site is now full of bots who randomly follow you and mention you for nothing - not to mention certain words trigger an avalanche of bot replies.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Do American peons get severance pay or is that reserved only for C-suits?
Depends on the company. Most tech companies are going to pay severance based on length of time the person worked there. A lot of them are ond week of pay per year of employment plus health insurance for a short time, but others are more generous. Google spent $2.1 billion last year on severance and other costs related to laying people off.

twilo99

Musk showed what needs to be done, but very few companies have the “balls” to actually go through with it, so they do the bare minimum.

Twitter barely functions. Most features are broken, and the site is now full of bots who randomly follow you and mention you for nothing - not to mention certain words trigger an avalanche of bot replies.

Twitter has always had issues and is functioning more less in line with where it was pre-Musk. People were saying that it would be a complete collapse, but of course that was never going to happen.

Top Bottom