• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Is So Sorry About How It's Treated Xbox One Fans So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gestault

Apology accepted, Microsoft.
Vader_Needa.jpg

Pretty sure I love you.

While there may be some lingering negativity around the initial reveal which will hurt them, what will hurt them even more in the US is that it's launching a week later and at $100 more.

Ironically, it might be good for them if the PS4 sells out as that might help them move a few more units.

Wynnebeck

Banned
While there may be some lingering negativity around the initial reveal which will hurt them, what will hurt them even more in the US is that it's launching a week later and at $100 more.

Ironically, it might be good for them if the PS4 sells out as that might help them move a few more units.

That's the funny thing. If Sony's production is going well, they will be able to keep stocks replenished faster than MS will and get more units out.

lucius

Yeah I don't think this will hurt them because once the One marketing push starts many that can't get PS4 will just settle for the One. They were able to make Kinect a big success with huge marketing even when most people in gaming were admitting it was the worse tech for actual gaming than the other two and that was pretty much proven to be 100% true.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

They will both sell every console they ship to the US and UK this year.

Yeah I don't think this will hurt them because once the One marketing push starts many that can't get PS4 will just settle for the One. They were able to make Kinect a big success with huge marketing even when most people in gaming were admitting it was the worse tech for actual gaming than the other two and that was pretty much proven to be 100% true.

And on the other hand you've got Bing, Windows 8, Windows Phone, Surface, Zune, etc.. Huge marketing campaigns can't turn things around that easily.

Jac_Solar

It's still utterly amazing to me that they even tried this. What is it with third console launches that make companies lose their collective shit and make so many stupid decisions?

Console launch 1: Nervous, timid, just wants to be a part of the business, which it knows is hard because of the well established competition.

Console launch 2: Knows a lot more, has learned that there's a place for it in the market, but still not completely settled and is aware of the competition.

Console launch 3: Has found its place and become established, thinks that it'll be a part of the market and sell regardless, and because it's so hard to break into the console space, there won't be any new competitors - has to be aware of the current competition, but knows there's a place in the market for all of them.

Console launch 4: Has become wise and experienced.

Maybe Xbox 360 owners heard about the Wii hype (Motion tech.) and bought the Kinect because of that.

Magwik

Banned
And on the other hand you've got Bing, Windows 8, Windows Phone, Surface, Zune, etc.. Huge marketing campaigns can't turn things around that easily.

Most of those were new brands/devices. Xbox is already a widely established brand compared to Surface, Zune, or Windows Phone. Though you're right, Windows 8 proved a huge marketing campaign can't just turn things around.

PSGames

You guys realize that when they were pushing for always online and used game restrictions that MS was willingly giving up market share? Being number 1 has it's benefits but its not a priority for them. What's most important to MS is to be profitable which they will be and then some.

jedimike

After spending some time with the Xbox One and the new Kinect, including it with every console is absolutely the best decision. Even if you only ever use it for voice. XB1 is gets blasted here at GAF, but there's no denying it is an impressive piece of technology with an equally remarkable OS.

Wynnebeck

Banned
You guys realize that when they were pushing for always online and used game restrictions that MS was willingly giving up market share? Being number 1 has it's benefits but its not a priority for them. What's most important to MS is to be profitable which they will be and then some.

That's certainly a....unique way of looking at the situation, but no, MS wasn't willingly giving up marketshare. They told their plans at E3 fully expecting everyone to gobble up what they were shoveling and was shocked at the backlash that resulted. MS's priority is to make money which is true, but don't think they aren't eyeing that number one spot constantly. If they didn't care, why would they continually bring up in every NPD report that the 360 was the #1 console for the umpteenth time in a row?

Nokterian

After spending some time with the Xbox One and the new Kinect, including it with every console is absolutely the best decision. Even if you only ever use it for voice. XB1 is gets blasted here at GAF, but there's no denying it is an impressive piece of technology with an equally remarkable OS.

100 euro's more and not launching this year in the netherlands. One of the big mistakes microsoft have done. Here in the netherlands so far i know people go for a lower price but i do know Playstation is more dominant here then Xbox.

Is it so impressive it's worth an extra $100? Not even if it was perfect.

watership

They wasted much more time and countless millions of dollars on Vista.

This is a pretty common misconception. Vista made MS money, selling over 450 million licences. It just didn't make them as much money as WinXp or Win7. Which is what they needed, the next leading OS.

Damn, I am pumped to try it out.

rothbart

Window 8 has over 100 Million users. More than all versions of OSX in under a year.

If you want to buy a PC in a retail store this year, chances are Windows 8 comes on it. That's not really a comparable case to game consoles.

That said, I'm really saddened that Microsoft's marketing budget and efforts can often times SHOVE products into the marketplace that they, themselves, don't necessarily merit. Surface is a great example... most people I know have an Android tablet or an iPad... and when I say most, I really mean "all" yet when I walk into a Best Buy, I'm literally faced with a giant Microsoft Surface ad. When I go back to the area where they sell tablets, the entire back wall of that department, like fifty wide, is a giant Surface app icon collection lit up. Neither of those things are based on the fact that people want, buy, or use Surface tablets but on Microsoft's ability to reach deep into their pockets and blitz market their shit longer and in more places than their competition do.

Internet Explorer ads at the movie theaters are another great example. Of all companies, Microsoft is a massive SOFTWARE company... why the hell isn't their web browser the shining example of what resources can do for web browsing? Instead, most people I know use Chrome, Firefox, or Safari (in that order) and the joke of Internet Explorer being the #1 browser (for downloading other browsers) is only funny because it's true.

I'm willing to bet a lot of people that spend their own money on Kinect aren't as excited for Kinect 2 as they originally were for Kinect 1. I don't think it's the accuracy of the tech that held it back, it was the ideas and implementations... when does it make sense to use motion controls like Kinect? I still don't think they have a good answer to this when there's no first party showcase game launching with the system and they're still showing months old tech demos as what you should be basing your excitement on. Some people might think it's voodoo magic but I have a harder time getting past "This is all you have to show me this close to launch???"

Nibiru

Banned
$100 over the life of a console really is not a big deal.

You also have to add in a yearly subscription too. Let's face it with Sony this gen people had their cake and could eat it too. They could pay for live but got psn for free. The problem with this was with psn being free the experience was lacking and they were unfairly slammed for it. Now they are charging for it in order to make it better just like MS charge for theirs.

Very few people are going to pay for 2 yearly subs and you pretty much need a sub to utilize either console. I predict very few people get both consoles this gen for this reason alone.

Its to cross promote windows as a platform and cloud services. Simple as that.

I was under the impression that was what they were going for, but one has to wonder how this could have gone differently if they had just said what their intentions were.

I still think they wanted things done in the best way possible for them, consumers be damned.

Derrick01

Banned

If I was paying $20 a year then maybe not. But they're asking for $100 extra up front for something I despise and do not want with my purchase at all. It's a lot harder to ignore that way.

hwy_61

Banned
If I was paying $20 a year then maybe not. But they're asking for $100 extra up front for something I despise and do not want with my purchase at all. It's a lot harder to ignore that way.

Isn't this a wee bit premature? Things not even out, and you despise it?

Derrick01

Banned
Isn't this a wee bit premature? Things not even out, and you despise it?

There's nothing they can do to kinect to make it a respectable gaming device. It was limited in nature from the time they conceived it. Therefore it's useless to me but with how much MS pushes it, including dumping gamers almost 4 years ago, they've made me hate it.

hwy_61

Banned
There's nothing they can do to kinect to make it a respectable gaming device. It was limited in nature from the time they conceived it. Therefore it's useless to me but with how much MS pushes it, including dumping gamers almost 4 years ago, they've made me hate it.

To be fair, kinect 1 was great. The games for it were fun.

Kinect 2.0 seems to be a way better version, and that is great news. Well, for me anyway.

Derrick01

Banned
To be fair, kinect 1 was great. The games for it were fun.

Kinect 2.0 seems to be a way better version, and that is great news. Well, for me anyway.

It's good for a couple of casual genres. But it can't handle anything I would bother playing.

Tellaerin

But you're not paying it over the life of the console. You're expected to pony up that cash up front. And for some people, an extra $100 is enough to push up the price tag from "It's steep, but I'll bite the bullet" to "out of my price range".

PSGames

That's certainly a....unique way of looking at the situation, but no, MS wasn't willingly giving up marketshare. They told their plans at E3 fully expecting everyone to gobble up what they were shoveling and was shocked at the backlash that resulted. MS's priority is to make money which is true, but don't think they aren't eyeing that number one spot constantly. If they didn't care, why would they continually bring up in every NPD report that the 360 was the #1 console for the umpteenth time in a row?

Actually yes MS was aware they would lose significant marketshare. They were effectively ceding defeat to Sony in countries that don't have the proper broadband infrastructure. They were also losing customers that don't have internet for long stretches of time (military, etc..). Their official stance was to tell these customers to pick up an Xbox 360 instead(yeah right). So MS is more than willing to give up marketshare to increase profits.

I was all for the whole digital approach. Im not looking forward to having to have the disc in the machine for all of my installed games.

Im honestly more pissed off that the Gold Paywall still exists.

Window 8 has over 100 Million users.
No, it has "over 100 million licenses sold to OEMs", which end up on PCs and laptops most people don't want. Also, I don't doubt a large number of Win 8 users have installed start menu replacements, negating the purpose of Metro in the first place.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
I knew M$ PR failed horribly today when I heard 6 year old kids telling their friends not to buy xbox ones because 'they are weak' and my 65 year old mother heard about how bad their DRM is at work and felt the need to tell me not to buy one. If children barely in school and people about to retire have negative views on it and neither of which play games much if at all, then M$ really screwed the pooch.

It will probably take years for the xbox brand to recover from this PR catastrophe.

Same here my mother is in her 70's and her and a friend were telling all of us at a family function not to get the new xbox. They saw it on the AOL homepage, never heard about the reversal, so I didn't feel like it was my job to inform them either. MS screwed up, old people and the uninformed still have the negative first impression.

My son and his middle school friends have all went PS4. So MS is losing around ten right there by Christmas and they're not the only group of gaming kids at the school that are changing. Most of the kids use Gamefly or redbox to rent games and want nothing to do xbox even though they HAVE heard about the reversal.

They like the more powerful hardware and rave about how awesome PSN+ is going to be.

The next few months should be interesting.

Edit: and yes they have seen Titanfall.

Same here my mother is in her 70's and her and a friend were telling all of us at a family function not to get the new xbox. They saw it on the AOL homepage, never heard about the reversal, so I didn't feel like it was my job to inform them either. MS screwed up, old people and the uninformed still have the negative first impression.

My son and his middle school friends have all went PS4. So MS is losing around ten right there by Christmas and they're not the only group of gaming kids at the school that are changing. Most of the kids use Gamefly or redbox to rent games and want nothing to do xbox even though they HAVE heard about the reversal.

They like the more powerful hardware and rave about how awesome PSN+ is going to be.

The next few months should be interesting.

Edit: and yes they have seen Titanfall.
Suddenly Major Nelsons appearence on NeoGAF makes sense. MS is desperate and he is probably scared shitless of losing his income.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom