• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Is So Sorry About How It's Treated Xbox One Fans So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaTheCasual

SONY didn't do anything to the level of MS, as in anti consumer. MS changed their ways due to money, not because they felt "sorry" for the consumer. If Pre-orders were on par, or even better than the PS4. MS would have never changed their stance.

Yes, I agree. This is not about emotion, rather maximum efficiency. I was merely drawing a comparison, about quickness of action. I don't think this DRM hatred will hang around the XB1 for 5+ years, which is what the PS3 had to put up with. It certainly won't disappear overnight, but it'll be a 'mistake of the past' in about 2-3 years, imo. No way to know for certain tho. That's just what I predict.

Myshkin

No need to apologize to me. I'm done with discs. I'm all in on the digital download. I don't sell my games to Gamestop. I want my console games like I have my PC games on Steam- Just a download away.

They should apologize to the digital download people too. Their original policies made digital downloads worse than they needed to be, because they were trying to support the controlled resale of physical disks. MS tried to make a combined physical/digital distribution method, and ended up with a mess that emphasized the weaknesses of both.

Iacobellis

Yes, I agree. This is not about emotion, rather maximum efficiency. I was merely drawing a comparison, about quickness of action. I don't think this DRM hatred will hang around the XB1 for 5+ years, which is what the PS3 had to put up with. It certainly won't disappear overnight, but it'll be a 'mistake of the past' in about 2-3 years, imo. No way to know for certain tho. That's just what I predict.

PS3 didn't have five years of hatred. It pretty much dissipated by 2008 or 2009. By then, the console was at a reasonable price and actually had some decent games to play.

JWong

Banned
PS3 didn't have five years of hatred. It pretty much dissipated by 2008 or 2009. By then, the console was at a reasonable price and actually had some decent games to play.

Yeah, well they hated the price, not the policies.

Maybe the removal of OtherOS, which affects like 5 people in the world.

Remember the Gamespot PS4 vs XB1 twitter-battle poll? Well it seems the USA has actually forgiven Microsoft:
http://www.gamespot.com/twitter-battle/xbox-vs-ps4/

Hint: check the twitter feeds below the map, lol

i2OILNVgyudZd.gif

Now that's just plain sad.

In other news, Sri Lanka is back on the right side.

demolitio

As long as none of this shit comes up anytime soon, I'll be in for an X1 for Halo 5 and Remedy's games. It's just hard for them to truly apologize when they justified it and defended it with such ridiculous statements that only insulted people more and then used cleverly worded PR to try and deceive people.

They're only saying sorry because it hit them where it hurts...preorders. Amazingly enough, once they started changing the bullshit, the preorders went way up.

Ushae

Banned
Gamers are fickle and sensitive with shirt term memories. Sony told us to get a second job at their 1 year late $599 console with a terrible launch. 7 years later they're lauded as the kings of gaming? They worked hard on their first party portfolio, and bringing meaningful online content.

Why is MS exempt from making any kind of return?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Gamers are fickle and sensitive with shirt term memories. Sony told us to get a second job at their 1 year late $599 console with a terrible launch. 7 years later they're lauded as the kings of gaming? They worked hard on their first party portfolio, and bringing meaningful online content.

They are not. Have you looked into the future how the situation is in 2020 and you're commenting on the perception there?

I would have looked up an almanac.

While they're at it, Microsoft should be apologizing for their shitty first party support of the 360 in it's twilight years.

I've no confidence in Microsoft's xBone first party output being anything other than casual chasing horseshit 36 months out from launch.

Sony's first party titles really left them in the dust this generation and this is coming from someone who's primary gaming system this gen was a 360.

Microsoft has screwed up plenty of things by their own actions, they're not getting any more chances from me.

Ushae

Banned
They are not. Have you looked into the future how the situation is in 2020 and you're commenting on the perception there?

I would have looked up an almanac.

I'm not trying to make a prediction only a view on how well Sony recovered and what could be.

As pointed out earlier in the thread, there needs to be heroes and villains to make a compelling narrative and Microsoft make an easy villain considering their past reputation while Sony are the underdog despite being the villain years previous. Heck, I was looking through some old EGM's this week and the letters page was filled with "Oh god the Bill Box is going to destroy gaming!" letters before editorial told them to calm the eff down and a new console is a good thing. There always has to be a narrative for some people and it's just more pronounced than ever thanks to the internet.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

They are not. They may come back with their next console but the Xbone is beyond saving.

netBuff

As pointed out earlier in the thread, there needs to be heroes and villains to make a compelling narrative and Microsoft make an easy villain considering their past reputation while Sony are the underdog despite being the villain years previous. Heck, I was looking through some old EGM's this week and the letters page was filled with "Oh god the Bill Box is going to destroy gaming!" letters before editorial told them to calm the eff down and a new console is a good thing. There always has to be a narrative for some people and it's just more pronounced than ever thanks to the internet.

Sony didn't tried pulling a fast one on consumers with the PS3 by taking the steps to adopt heavily anti-consumer policies as they regard gaming. Microsoft is in a whole different league than Sony. Botching a launch with too high an asking price and too sparse a launch line up really doesn't compare to the Xbone situation (even though both are also problems with the system as it is now).

I wonder why people have been throwing around the word 'narrative' with the Sony/Xbox debacle as if Sony didn't do a great job making their product appeal to gamers, as if MS didn't totally shit the bed, and as if the whole story is somehow been manufactured by a vocal minority. Anything in the world can be dismissed with a wave of the hand simply by saying 'its just a narrative.'

IISANDERII

I highly doubt it's some concentrated effort from MS on some months old poll. They've done some stupid things recently, but I don't think they'd waste their time on rigging some worthless gamespot poll.
They wasted much more time and countless millions of dollars on Vista.

I highly doubt it's some concentrated effort from MS on some months old poll. They've done some stupid things recently, but I don't think they'd waste their time on rigging some worthless gamespot poll.

I dunno if its worthless.

A lot of gamers pretty much live in an echo chamber; if the group consensus is xbone is DOA, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Jac_Solar

I barely know who Major Nelson is, but my impression is that he's just a puppet for Microsoft, and this talk is nothing but P.R - he was constantly arguing FOR the ridiculous One policies, but couldn't really explain much about it. Isn't he a community manager?

Apologizing implies that they regret their behaviour, and won't do it again. So, why would they send Nelson to do this and not someone directly involved with the Xbox One, or Microsoft policies or whatever? I feel like, if they were genuinely sorry about this, and have actually changed stuff around to fit their new, claimed agenda, as opposed to putting it on hold, they would have sent someone at the top of the Xbox One division or close to it.

tino

Banned
I barely know who Major Nelson is, but my impression is that he's just a puppet for Microsoft, and this talk is nothing but P.R - he was constantly arguing FOR the ridiculous One policies, but couldn't really explain much about it. Isn't he a community manager?

Apologizing implies that they regret their behaviour, and won't do it again. So, why would they send Nelson to do this and not someone directly involved with the Xbox One, or Microsoft policies or whatever? I feel like, if they were genuinely sorry about this, and have actually changed stuff around to fit their new, claimed agenda, as opposed to putting it on hold, they would have sent someone at the top of the Xbox One division or close to it.

I got the impression these new xb1 bullshit polocies were imposed upon from the MS corporate mothership. If Don Matricks thought he can deal with these money grabbing bs, he wouldn't negociate an exit before the E3 event. From the timing he couldn't have worked out that CEO deal AFTER the E3 fiasco.

If anyone need to apologize, its Steve Ballmer.

Krakn3Dfx

sucks you can't get that with sony. if sony had that i would be all over it. will have to wait for infamous..

I'm not a football guy. I know people who are, but even they say the nfl.com fantasy football thing is bs. Most people I know use the Yahoo one. I guess Yahoo is good at something after all.

Wynnebeck

Banned
tumblr_mh06luyrGB1rt1g2so1_500.gif

I'm not a football guy. I know people who are, but even they say the nfl.com fantasy football thing is bs. Most people I know use the Yahoo one. I guess Yahoo is good at something after all.

Might want to edit that. It's almost on "cool story, bro" status and that's bannable.

What I find the most interesting about this entire issue is Adam Orth. He was fired for being sarcastic on his twitter for essentially insulting gamers about what the Xbone would eventually do. He took an antagonistic stance, same as Major Nelson did. And he was fired for it.

Its obvious that everyone that worked on this basically pulled a Sony. Microsoft acted the same way Sony did when they launched the PS3. Microsoft just expected people would go along with it the same way Sony seemed to think people would get two jobs. It's an amazing lack of perspective that's hindered by board room judgement.

What I'm curious about is the REAL meaning behind what they did. I can't see Microsoft going the route they were going without serious feedback from developers. I wish they would just come out and say "we were going to do this because (_______).

It's still utterly amazing to me that they even tried this. What is it with third console launches that make companies lose their collective shit and make so many stupid decisions?

Either way, I don't trust them. I don't really trust Sony either but Sony had this gen to learn not to fuck with its customer base. Guess this gen will be MS' turn.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They wasted much more time and countless millions of dollars on Vista.
Well, except, Vista was a much-needed revamp of much of the backend of Windows. Beset by delays and budget overruns, but still necessary to bring the OS into the 21st Century.

A better example would have been Zune, Kin or Surface.

Biker19

Banned
It's obvious that everyone that worked on this basically pulled a Sony. Microsoft acted the same way Sony did when they launched the PS3. Microsoft just expected people would go along with it the same way Sony seemed to think people would get two jobs. It's an amazing lack of perspective that's hindered by board room judgement.

What I'm curious about is the REAL meaning behind what they did. I can't see Microsoft going the route they were going without serious feedback from developers. I wish they would just come out and say "we were going to do this because (_______).

It's still utterly amazing to me that they even tried this. What is it with third console launches that make companies lose their collective shit and make so many stupid decisions?

Either way, I don't trust them. I don't really trust Sony either but Sony had this gen to learn not to fuck with its customer base. Guess this gen will be MS' turn.

Because of arrogance, that's why. With Sony & PS3, it was because of the huge price tag. With Microsoft & Xbox One, it's even worse than just the price tag.

At least with Sony, they had a good reason to be arrogant, after they won big with both PS1 & PS2. Microsoft, however, didn't win jack but the U.S. with the Xbox 360, & they already think that they're invincible & can do whatever the hell they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom