• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Is So Sorry About How It's Treated Xbox One Fans So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokterian

Yup.

In the cloud.

3pztlw.jpg

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I really dislike how they're trying to sell "no longer fucking you" as a selling point.

What else are they to do when internet activists are doing nothing but spreading negative words?

They're trying to "educate" the masses that policies have changed. It's not so much a selling point, more-so a "Hey, if you haven't heard..."

Raist

Banned
How is it insulting to gamers?

I dunno about "insulting" but it's quite hilarious to see a flyer where they claim to have designed the damn thing that way, when it actually wasn't at all originally (offline gaming and trade/loan etc).

Also the whole "People in your home are allowed to play games and stuff on your consoles". Gee, thanks MS.

The months old uk tabloid article every time.

The point is not whether the UK tabloid is real, but to show the system as MS actually designed it. Quite the opposite of MS's claim that the system was "designed" with all these options in mind, the only reason they are where they are is because people complained and didn't pre-order the way MS thought they would.

hwy_61

Banned
I dunno about "insulting" but it's quite hilarious to see a flyer where they claim to have designed the damn thing that way, when it actually wasn't at all originally (offline gaming and trade/loan etc).

Also the whole "People in your home are allowed to play games and stuff on your consoles". Gee, thanks MS.

I don't think that poster is for us, though. It's for Joe Shopper who heard the news about no used games from his co-workers pre-180. This is a clear message to those people. I don't feel like MS is being condescending towards me with this, because it wasn't made for me.

Jack_AG

Banned
The way some people try to act like Xbox is completely run by suits who don't play games is hysterical
Totally bro. Every gamer LOVES DRM! I mean... When has DRM ever fucked a legit consumer? Never, bro! Shits tight!

By gamers, for gamers! Forcing online connectivity or your shit breaks is totally designed by gamers. Jiggle, waggle, wave, jump?. Yep, gamers. TV, TV, TV, dog, sports? Again... By gamers. Inability to trade or resell? I'll be damned if it wasn't a gamer!

Now that we have freedom, the future looks pretty dark again.

Internet fist of bro to you, fellow gamer!

I don't think that poster is for us, though. It's for Joe Shopper who heard the news about no used games from his co-workers pre-180. This is a clear message to those people. I don't feel like MS is being condescending towards me with this, because it wasn't made for me.

But even if it isn't aimed at us, and you and I know that MS didn't actually design the Xbox to include all these options, it's still a bit of a half-truth to the uninformed, isn't it? They didn't design the system that way; they bowed to negative press and user demands. They put this information out there as though, "This is the way it's always been! We've always had your back!" when that really wasn't the case at all. The information is fine, but the manner in which it is delivered is dishonest.

Finally, someone got it!

This has been the status quo all along. People don't like your DRM policy? Respond by saying, "We didn't message it properly," rather than, "We were wrong." MS definitely isn't going to admit they've screwed this up. Too much on the line; lots of money, jobs, and press. I would have personally found it far more endearing if there actually was an apology, but maybe market research says that isn't the right approach.

artist

Banned
Totally bro. Every gamer LOVES DRM! I mean... When has DRM ever fucked a legit consumer? Never, bro! Shits tight!

By gamers, for gamers! Forcing online connectivity or your shit breaks is totally designed by gamers. Jiggle, waggle, wave, jump?. Yep, gamers. TV, TV, TV, dog, sports? Again... By gamers. Inability to trade or resell? I'll be damned if it wasn't a gamer!

Now that we have freedom, the future looks pretty dark again.

Internet fist of bro to you, fellow gamer!
tuco-tight3xrjd.gif

hwy_61

Banned
But even if it isn't aimed at us, and you and I know that MS didn't actually design the Xbox to include all these options, it's still a bit of a half-truth to the uninformed, isn't it? They didn't design the system that way; they bowed to negative press and user demands. They put this information out there as though, "This is the way it's always been! We've always had your back!" when that really wasn't the case at all. The information is fine, but the manner in which is is delivered is dishonest.

I don't understand what you're getting at. How exactly do you want MS to market this thing after all the controversy?

I just realized this pic is made slightly funnier by the fact that Andy's room has clouds as his wallpaper. Makes it quite appropriate too.

With whoever made this picture, I don't know if it was intentional or not. Probably was.

Yeah, I'm probably just slow on this one.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

Do Sony still let everyone know the PS3 used to be backwards compatible, be able to run Linux and have lots of USB ports?

May16

I don't much care for Major Twoface.

Ground control to Major Two.
It's a console war, so put your helmet on.

This ground control to Major Two, you've really made them mad.
And the fans want to know why all the shiiiiit.
Now it's time to explain flipping of the swiiiiitch.

This is Major Two to ground controllll.
Pre-orders are in the hoooolllle.
Sony's winning in a most peculiar way.
Looks like I'll be flipping switches...today!

Heeeere I am sitting in an office.
Remooooved from the world.
Flipping's what I do, cause I need money from youuuuu~

(In case you don't get it)

Neo Ankh

Neo Member
If Microsoft didn't design Xbox One this way then who did?

It isn't their original design but it is the current design.

hwy_61

Banned
Ground control to Major Twoface.
It's a console war, so put your helmet on.

This ground control to Major Twoface, you've really made them mad.
And the fans want to know why all the shiiiiit.
Now it's time to explain flipping of the swiiiiitch.

This is Major Twoface to ground controllll.
Pre-orders are in the hoooolllle.
Sony's winning in a most peculiar way.
Looks like I'll be flipping switches...today!

Heeeere I am sitting in an office.
Remooooved from the world.
Flipping's what I do, cause I need money from youuuuu~

(In case you don't get it)

That extra syllable though...

Couldn't get into it.

I don't understand what you're getting at. How exactly do you want MS to market this thing after all the controversy?

Telling people the facts? Showing the games? All the typical ways people drive excitement? I don't think you have to rewrite your negative history in order to sell your console.

I am saying that it's dishonest for MS to claim they designed the system to be all about user choice, when they didn't design it that way at all. They rightly bowed to user pressure, and the system is better for it. Nothing wrong with that, and they absoltely should advertise that change. The fact sheet could say, "We listened to our fans, and we want you to play however you want!" or something to that effect. That's honest, that gets the point across. But saying that they "designed" the system to be this way is not true. It's the sort of Orwellian idea that, "This is the way it's always been" that I find distasteful.

Raist

Banned
Do Sony still let everyone know the PS3 used to be backwards compatible, be able to run Linux and have lots of USB ports?

Dear lord. Hey how about that incident in 1999?

Anyway, it's not about the content, since it's factual, it's about the delivery.

Krakn3Dfx

Are you making this comparison? Really? I still own a BC compatible PS3, and could pick up one pretty easily if I didn't. I'm sure dozens of people were upset about the loss of Linux on the PS3, and afaik, when they dialed back the number of USB ports, it still ended up with as many as the 360 ever had.

what-no-gif.gif

Krakn3Dfx

What else are they to do when internet activists are doing nothing but spreading negative words?

They're trying to "educate" the masses that policies have changed. It's not so much a selling point, more-so a "Hey, if you haven't heard...
(we're now not trying to fuck you anymore.)"
"

Fixed. I think he was right the first time.

hwy_61

Banned
Telling people the facts? Showing the games? All the typical ways people drive excitement? I don't think you have to rewrite your negative history in order to sell your console.

I am saying that it's dishonest for MS to claim they designed the system to be all about user choice, when they didn't design it that way at all. They rightly bowed to user pressure, and the system is better for it. Nothing wrong with that, and they absoltely should advertise that change. The fact sheet could say, "We listened to our fans, and we want you to play however you want!" or something to that effect. That's honest, that gets the point across. But saying that they "designed" the system to be this way is not true. It's the sort of Orwellian idea that, "This is the way it's always been" that I find distasteful.

I think people(not all!) on message boards are going to be the only ones who have a problem with this poster because of the DRM. The poster is fine for what its trying to do.

Microsoft should also apologize for Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and the Surface while they're at it.

That's why I won't be joining them next-gen, they've lost sight of what customers want versus what will be "cutting-edge"

ElFly

Ok MS I get it. You are sorry, I overblowed the always online DRM stuff, we are good. I am gonna get a Xbone instead of a PS4.

Oh wait, I am somehow not in a tier 1 country. Who knows when the Xbone is going to be released here.

Welp, my hand is forced MS. You didn't want to sell me a Xbone. Maybe next next gen (chances are you won't be selling consoles by that time, tho)

timlot

Banned
I get it. The dev saying PS4 is 50% more power thread gets locked so we got to resurrect the other lets defecate of MS thread. Sigh, 75 more days...

I think people(not all!) on message boards are going to be the only ones who have a problem with this poster because of the DRM. The poster is fine for what its trying to do.

I don't disagree with you. Few people who walk into a store will and think enough about the words to understand why it isn't being honest about the "design." I think it probably does exactly what it was designed to do which is to convey information in a manner that never hints at controversy. For me though, I think it's a shady thing to say. As you said, only to people like us who are heavily informed, but I still don't like it. (Not trying to stir up any great controversy about it. Just commenting.)

Don't worry everyone, Microsoft invented DirectX, they know exactly what they're doing.

??? but direct-x wasn't working properly untill direct-x 6 and was trully debuged with direct-x 7 ..it took them how many attempts before it wasn't a mess and it only worked because they forced it over a long period of time within windows.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I get it. The dev saying PS4 is 50% more power thread gets locked so we got to resurrect the other lets defecate of MS thread. Sigh, 75 more days...

You are just adding to the problem with stuff like this. Maybe take a hiatus from the Gaming Side if you can't filter.

FINALBOSS

Banned

Did anyone even bring it up?

Holy shit not a single person on this page did...except you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom