• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Is So Sorry About How It's Treated Xbox One Fans So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolgar

Hey, Microsoft! I went from loyal customer to PS4 preorder in the time it took for your terrible PR people to say, "TV, TV, TV!"

I am relishing the thought of not supporting you in the coming gen... Because I know you'll be back with your DRM at some point if we let you.

Oh! You'll also be happy to know that I've switched to buying multiplats on PS3.

Great work! Welcome to next gen!

hwy_61

Banned
Only good things will come from Microsoft now that they're the underdog. This is why competition is a good thing.

This, too many people seem personally invested in wanting the console to fail. It won't. To people that ditched MS after DRM gate enjoy your PS4 and great games. But the constant need to portray the Xbox One as the worst thing to ever happen is getting old.
Had the original plan gone forward, make no mistake, it would have been the worst thing to happen the the industry. It's no wonder people have very strong feelings about it.

QaaQer

Had the original plan gone forward, make no mistake, it would have been the worst thing to happen the the industry. It's no wonder people have very strong feelings about it.

Yeah, I still remember Pachter saying "no console company would do that (kill used games). Nobody is that greedy or that stupid." Don't underestimate MS greed, mr Pachter.

Magwik

Banned
"We are so sorry that we tried to screw everyone over. We also won't formally apologize because we still just think our message was not clear enough."

sono

lordmarshallhelmet1storlci.jpg

This, too many people seem personally invested in wanting the console to fail. It won't. To people that ditched MS after DRM gate enjoy your PS4 and great games. But the constant need to portray the Xbox One as the worst thing to ever happen is getting old. You can barely have discussions in X1 related threads without them getting derailed in the first 10 or so posts.

The original plan would have been the worst thing to ever happen to gaming.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Haha as if MS is trustworthy all of a sudden.

If they keep it up,plus show some evidence that they don't plan to u-turn again, then that is good.

Trouble is, it'll take time to undo that. So I hope they are patient. The worst part for me is first party support. Even if they do plan to support Xbox one for 5-6 years, we won't really know until 5 years have passed. Until then we can only go on previous experience which is MS backing off pretty early

Amir0x

Banned
Since Gaf is wrong 99.5 % of the time, I expect everything said in this thread to be the exact opposite.

Who is this GAF poster? Seems to be pretty inaccurate about things if your post is ture.

Good thing GAF is not a poster but a mass of individuals each with their own competing perspectives on various subjects, some which are right, some which are wrong.

sechsterangriff said:

Yeah, it would have been... if it was successful. But given how things went, it was clear if they released the system as-was, it would have been one of the most legendary flops in the industry's history. So I think consumers wouldn't have allowed it to have long lasting impact.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
A Xbox thread thread title fitting for Neogaf. Fanboyism is fucking this forum up for those that wish to read about the Xbox.

Your thread whining is getting out of control, man. There's a reason more people are looking favorably at Sony this go round.

It's funny how my attitude toward MS has changed so much over the years. I started with a PS3 this last gen, but after so many games came out with performances problems compared to their 360 counterpart, I finally relented. I picked up my 360, played tons of games on it, payed for Gold. Generally speaking, it seemed great.

But the years dragged on and I watched MS exclusives pump out game after game from the same franchise. I saw the dashboard updated over and over, seemingly getting a little worse each time. I watched my games relegated to only a small portion of the screen and ads come into full force for a service I was paying for. I watched Sony add tons of games to PS+, and MS respond with nothing. I bought into the lie that was Kinect and felt extremely burned. I watched MS seemingly abandon game development on the console. And now, when I load a game into my 360, as I waiting forever for it to load the dashboard, as I see the ads load in, as I as the Kinect collecting dust in front of my tv, I have a palpable feeling of animosity toward MS.

And all that wouldn't have mattered if MS had showed up and presented me with a powerful games-focused box. But they didn't. They showed an "all-in-one" media box, with a focus on Kinect integration, that also plays game, and tried to claim a bunch of awful policies were the future we should all want and accept. Hyrb can pedal the MS message all he wants, but MS has played their hand, and now they have to deal with the consequences. At least for me, I feel like the company has mistreated my game experience and my consumer experience for years, and nothing they can do over the next few months can change that. Sony is getting my money. Time will tell if MS turns their focus in the right direction, but Hyrb's words don't mean a thing.

Barzul

The original plan would have been the worst thing to ever happen to gaming.
I can think of worse, personally for me. Nintendo being the only major player in video games would have been worse. We would continously have underpowered hardware and online infrastructure would be nothing like we know today.

A Xbox thread thread title fitting for Neogaf. Fanboyism is fucking this forum up for those that wish to read about the Xbox.

Despising always-online checks and used game blocks has nothing to do with fanboyism. You sound like those people in the youtube comment section who accuse everyone who doesn't like the Xbone of being a fanboy.
I'm glad this DRM scheme didn't become reality.

I don't want to hear about how much they care about the community when they tried to pull the biggest screw job in the industry's history. Not to mention they damn near completely abandoned gamers on 360 years ago.

Why do people say it was "the biggest screw job in the industry's history"? They announced features that were actually different than the current generation. They were not for everyone, but a lot of people are prepared to be always online. The digital sharing was an amazing feature, and I hope it comes back eventually.

Five years from now I bet there will be a pretty big demand for Microsoft to bring back the always online features.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
you guys are going OT, but all my games installed without need a disc, could shop around without being forced to buy DD only from xbox store and I could still trade them in to gamestop? Yea give me the old system.

Trade them in once, truly a blessing.

So, you're basically saying: I only buy new titles at retail.

Good for you, you can get a disc and keep your shit. Too bad for you everyone else wanted to trade or buy used titles since they want a "cheap price" and can "shop around without being forced to buy DD only"/"one-used disc."

Yeah, it would have been... if it was successful. But given how things went, it was clear if they released the system as-was, it would have been one of the most legendary flops in the industry's history. So I think consumers wouldn't have allowed it to have long lasting impact.

I really do wish they would have gone through with their plans. I wanted to see what would have happened.

Epsilon

Banned
Well, good luck regaining trust and rebuilding the bridges that you just burned with consumers.

I'll go further and say they need to lose the generation and all their market share for trying to push their draconian anti-consumer policies, that will set an example and be a harsh reminder to anyone (Sony and Nintendo included) to not fuck with consumer rights.

I'll wait 2 years before i think about it. I get it, you want to sell your product so you adapted. But fuck off with this "we know what you want" nonsense. You waited just a bit too late on your 180 to forgive you so quick. And your paywall sucks and makes no sense.

Plus the fact they still think DRM is the future and can easily be turned on makes me hesitant. They even tried to justify their stance by comparing it to iOS and Steam.
Your "vision" sucked ass. There was no mistranslation. Everything was loud and clear. You wanted to control what we did with our discs and you wanted to have a 24hr babysitter to check up on us. Then you fool people with your "family share" bullshit. Just thinking about all this stuff pisses me off. lol

But it's over and done with. They seem to be going in a favorable direction for now. If everything is peachy in a few years i'll def pick one up for the exclusives.

I can think of worse, personally for me. Nintendo being the only major player in video games would have been worse. We would continously have underpowered hardware and online infrastructure would be nothing like we know today.
I think an argument can absolutely be made for it being the worst thing to ever happen, taking away so many consumer rights in one swoop. I don't think it's a "need to portray" it as such, it's just how some people actually feel.

Sydle

Post-Mattrick Xbox is getting back on track. It's a shame he was able to do so much damage with prioritizing Kinect over core game development for so long and with the Xbox One policies.

I think it will take a few years to win back some of the core, but in the end MS will be better for it. I'd like to see them in survival mode with all those resources.

Barzul

I pretty much try to avoid threads like this, console warz is pretty much why I stopped posting on the gaming side as much.

todd44890

Banned
I forgave them and preordered a day 1 edition. I will be having fun with my xbox one. Too bad most gamers hold grudges and act like Microsoft burned down their house and left them for dead. Its just cool to hate Microsoft and eventually it will change.

Orca

Your thread whining is getting out of control, man. There's a reason more people are looking favorably at Sony this go round.

To be fair, there's a difference between looking favorably at Sony and every MS thread on the forum turning to shit inside 10 posts.

zainetor

Banned
Why do people say it was "the biggest screw job in the industry's history"? They announced features that were actually different than the current generation. They were not for everyone, but a lot of people are prepared to be always online. The digital sharing was an amazing feature, and I hope it comes back eventually.

Five years from now I bet there will be a pretty big demand for Microsoft to bring back the always online features.

Yeah, If someone wants to screw you, he doesnt tell you in advance what he is going to do.
People were informed, they dont like it? Then they dont buy it.
It's not like there wasn't an alternative, We have ps4-wiiu and pc.
If people really didnt want those features, then the console would have tanked hard.

Amir0x

Banned
Despising always-online checks and used game blocks has nothing to do with fanboyism. You sound like those people in the youtube comment section who accuse everyone who doesn't like the Xbone of being a fanboy.
I'm glad this DRM scheme didn't become reality.

It's just typical persecution complex. And it's amazing how these people love to throw the fanboy word around about OTHER people. It's like "look inward, bro. Mirror's exist for a reason."

Regardless, as you say, Microsoft EARNED the negative feedback of gamers. They fucking deserved every last shred of it. And it's preposterous to even suggest otherwise. They spent over a month straight literally lying and deceiving about every single feature about the Xbox One, before they went to E3 and tried to cow from the media and when they were interviewed were combatant and aggressive about gamers and their absurd anti-consumer system. They sold us a system with a mass of benefits 95% of which benefited only developers, publishers and Microsoft - and gamers were not going to receive any sort of comparable benefit. Then they spent the beginning of July trying to convince people that they really have amazing benefits (lol family share plan), and nobody believed them because most people aren't gullible fucks.

Then they changed the 180s, but refused for a little bit to acknowledge that it was the thing they were offering that was the problem, not JUST the messaging. And still they say this, which is why some people have difficulty swallowing the apology. I may think this apology is a good thing for Microsoft, but I understand people's consternation with them. Since January of this year when accurate leaks started coming out, it was virtually a how-to on how to fuck gamers, on each and every leak. So of course people weren't going to put up with it.

Some people actually speak up for their OWN best interest, not the best interest of giant faceless corporations.

Hyperbole much? Sold out pre-orders in almost every major chain flies in the face of what you wrote. Ever think they are doing an apology tour simply because they want to change the opinions some people have.
They sold out??? Phil Spencer was saying you'll find consoles readily available on launch day in stores without preorders.

KAL2006

Banned
The best apology would be to lower Gold sub fee by $10 to match PSN+ and offer something similar to Instant Game Collection on Xbox One. Finally not have apps and OS features behind a paywall.

Barzul

It's just typical persecution complex. And it's amazing how these people love to throw the fanboy word around about OTHER people. It's like "look inward, bro. Mirror's exist for a reason."

Regardless, as you say, Microsoft EARNED the negative feedback of gamers. They fucking deserved every last shred of it. And it's preposterous to even suggest otherwise. They spent over a month straight literally lying and deceiving about every single feature about the Xbox One, before they went to E3 and tried to cow from the media and when they were interviewed were combatant and aggressive about gamers and their absurd anti-consumer system. They sold us a system with a mass of benefits 95% of which benefited only developers, publishers and Microsoft - and gamers were not going to receive any sort of comparable benefit. Then they spent the beginning of July trying to convince people that they really have amazing benefits (lol family share plan), and nobody believed them because most people aren't gullible fucks.

Then they changed the 180s, but refused for a little bit to acknowledge that it was the thing they were offering that was the problem, not JUST the messaging. And still they say this, which is why some people have difficulty swallowing the apology. I may think this apology is a good thing for Microsoft, but I understand people's consternation with them. Since January of this year when accurate leaks started coming out, it was virtually a how-to on how to fuck gamers, on each and every leak. So of course people weren't going to put up with it.

Some people actually speak up for their OWN best interest, not the best interest of giant faceless corporations.
MS biggest advantage, is they were not stubborn enough to release the console in said state. GAF might not forget, but I think the mainstream will once people actually get their hands on the thing.

You learn to ignore it or you walk away, there's not much else you can do since people who could do something about it are obviously fine with it. I agree that GAF as a community has been sinking ever so deeper, but on the other hand, it's not like I know of a better alternative.

What preorder numbers? Its sold out everywhere.

Except when it isn't. When they finally announced the date they exclaimed it was sold out, oh but by the way, we still have some available for preorder.

Edit:

Official Xbox PR from 3 days ago...

As a result of this incredible consumer demand and the development progress on Xbox One, I am thrilled to share that today we are making available a limited number of additional Xbox One Day One consoles for pre-order. We have coordinated with our retail partners to make it easy for you to reserve your Xbox One today.

Loakum

Banned
Microsoft is sounding like that person you broke up with, but is constantly trying to convince you to that them back..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Too little too late.

If you told me 8 months ago that me and my dozen or so friends were all going ps4 only instead of new xbox only I would have called you nuts.

This is potentially a big problem. If lots of early adopters favour PS4 and influence their peer groups to buy as well, that could create momentum that is very bad for MS. if Multiplatform games are generally better, and online features etc are on par, it reduces any reason to buy back into the MS ecosystem and could see a mass switch across from MS to Sony.

I quite like the media aspects of the Xbox, but I wish they'd just made a google TV style passthrough box without the gaming part, at a much more mass market price, and then a classic gaming box separately. As it is, it's too expensive for a media box, and not powerful or focused enough for a gaming box. Classic 'fall between two stools' product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom