• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft + Nintendo vs Sony?

Who should Sony teamed up with to counter Microsoft+ Nintendo partnership?

• Total voters
If I was Nintendo, I'd be asking what am I getting out of this exactly?

LOL

Im thinking the opposite. So Nintendo will get the MS game pass and supposedly once exclusive games for xbox now on the Switch. But what exactly is Nintendo offering to MS? They have the shittiest online solution, game chat etc. They damn sure wont offer their own games to MS. So yea im more curious what does MS get from.this except free publicity.

brap

Banned
I hope my favorite multi billion dollar company teams up with another multi billion dollar company to take down the multi billion dollar companies I don't like haha. That would be so epic!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Too cheap for an apple product.
Wait you think you're paying a premium for quality?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Don't get me wrong there's quality in the builds but the asking price.
Apple is like Nintendo.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Im thinking the opposite. So Nintendo will get the MS game pass and supposedly once exclusive games for xbox now on the Switch. But what exactly is Nintendo offering to MS? They have the shittiest online solution, game chat etc. They damn sure wont offer their own games to MS. So yea im more curious what does MS get from.this except free publicity.

They are the ones selling GamePass subscriptions, subscriptions that notionally will be valid for all devices and thus not necessarily offering Nintendo a cut of the profits.

My argument is that for Nintendo there's very little in the way of financial compensation for hosting a thing that could be considered subtractive to their core business. This is not Netflix where the product appeal is secondary to the purpose of the platform; i.e. watching movies on a games machine. This is allowing people to play another platform's games, on your games machine. How can that not be considered self-sabotage?

I mean the reality is that Nintendo don't need MS help to shift units of Switch! The presence of other games certainly isn't helpful to them selling their software, and as nothing is native, -not even hosted on their servers- they can't monetize sales of titles or dlc exposed by the service.

The only upside I can think of is paywalling it behind their online services, which honestly doesn't strike me as an equitable return for exposing their entire userbase to a competitors ecosystem.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Wait you think you're paying a premium for quality?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Don't get me wrong there's quality in the builds but the asking price.
Apple is like Nintendo.
no im just saying that the price of 599 is too low for any apple product

YayNJ

Banned
In the last 10 years, Sony had 4 GotYs, Nintendo only one and MS produced nothing worth of mention.

Sony only need to continue their good relationship with 3rd partys and focus on great exclusives to fill the gap in the lineup. They have a vast market with their worldwide brand, just don't fuck with the consumer and they're good.

Microsoft has had nothing worth mentioning in the past ten years? I usually ignore fanboyism and discard it like the juvenile, puerile waste of letters and words it is, but jesus christ man.

Fbh

Assuming any of it is true, in the short term they'd be getting another platform to offer gamepass on, which means reaching a wider audience and making the service as a whole more appealing.
In the long term it might have to do with streaming. It might be something like MS striking a deal to be the exclusive provider of game streaming on switch or something like that.

Honestly, I'm not even sure Nintendo would be the one getting the most out of this. The Switch is still selling really well and something like Gamepass would be giving people a reason to not pay Nintendo their inflated game prices. At $10 a month that's half a year of Gamepass for the price of a 2-3 years old Nintendo game

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
My game dream is a Project X Zone but with all characters of videogames, Mario, Snake, Masterchief, Kat from Gravity rush, Sonic, Link, and was developed by Nintendo and Sony... Microsoft just put the money xD

lucius

Gamepass wont even run great on the current Switch the wifi chip sucks and what are you gonna do download Gears of War 4 at 100 GB on small memory cards. Your gonna have a gimped Gamepass on the current Switch.

EDMIX

Microsoft + Nintendo could be a pretty sweet collab I think. That would compeltely kill Sony (playstation) when MS's power and Ninty's creativity are fused.
lol both platforms combined are not even the matched install base of PS4......

So....that isn't going to "kill" playstation, as Sony simply needs to keep producing established IP on top of IP as series and they'll keep most who want those concepts.

What is MS + Nintendo adding that doesn't already exist with each apart?

Put it like this, If I hate Pizza Hut and hate Taco Bell and love KFC.... doing a whole "Pizza Hut + Taco Bell" doesn't make me like it and doesn't make me hate KFC.

Stop arguing as if people buy junk out of spite or something, you buy something based on if you like it or not (hopefully) and that combo isn't suddenly going to make someone not want a Playstation. The fact that they even have to (rumor) says more about just how dominate Sony is in the home console market. We are talking about a company that makes home consoles so solid, their lowest sales out of 4 Home Consoles is around 85 million......that is LOW to them... Nintendo and MS have only seen past that once. That is a very, very massive and consistent install base.

mejin

Microsoft has had nothing worth mentioning in the past ten years? I usually ignore fanboyism and discard it like the juvenile, puerile waste of letters and words it is, but jesus christ man.

It's just fact. there is no need to be offended by those words. I went to the gotypicks and got the info.

Microsoft + Nintendo could be a pretty sweet collab I think. That would compeltely kill Sony (playstation) when MS's power and Ninty's creativity are fused.

Good combination surely, but not sure about that considering neither one of them are remotely close to Sony’s numbers. Even combined it is still not as high.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Gamepass wont even run great on the current Switch the wifi chip sucks and what are you gonna do download Gears of War 4 at 100 GB on small memory cards. Your gonna have a gimped Gamepass on the current Switch.
You realize that this (if its going to happen) will be via XCloud, right?? It'll be a streaming feature for devices like Switch

Ellery

Sony should just do the following :

- Continue to invest in great exclusive single player games.
- backwards compatability for Playstation 5
- good quality console and DualShock Controller

I don't think that they need to team up with anyone. The Microsoft + Nintendo deal (if true) probably doesn't do much other than bringing streaming service to the Nintendo Switch. It would be way cooler the other way around if you could play Nintendo games on Xbox but that won't happen.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

So what you're saying is, MS needs the creativity of Nintendo because they can't do it on their own? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Will i be able to play Zelda on my Xbox one X or nextbox in 4k/60? If so im in.

The day Nintendo no longer wants to control their entire medium through their hardware and software maybe. I just do not see this every being a reality unless they go third party, which also I do not see any time soon.

So this is the end of Sony, eh? If so, will it be the end of GAF too? And we all thought Nintendoom would happen first!

Stories to tell your grandkids:

"They said Nintendo would never make mobile games"

"They said Microsoft and Nintendo would never team up"

"They said Sony would survive the coming megaton"

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
Not really a great partnership since you can't play nintendo games on the xbox one.

And how would you know that? If Nintendo opens their platform for MS to sell games to Nintendo customers and does not insist that MS do the same they aren’t very bright.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's crazy that people think Nintendo's big exclusives are going to Xbox. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's a big reach if anyone think that this is going to happen.

Great Hair

Banned
EyCWMUb.png

Doesn´t Nintendo print, manufacture all the games for the Switch? No more snusnu with other Sonyas? Unless they get a cut from MS´s Gamepass ... they wont probably allow it. Besides who wants to play at 200ms ...

LordOfChaos

Who will they - no one

Who should they - well I still don't know about should, but of the options I think Apple has the most interesting gaming prospects, iOS is one of the biggest gaming platforms on earth.

I also don't see Nvidia playing that nice over sour grapes.

lucius

You realize that this (if its going to happen) will be via XCloud, right?? It'll be a streaming feature for devices like Switch

It still wont run great on Switch at its current form, lets see it running right now every game on gamepass, we keep hearing hype about being the “Netflix of gaming” so show us it running why so scared to let people play it. I like my Xbox one S but the hype about their cloud services is tiring, they were full of shit when they talked about how the power if the cloud was some unlimited power for the original One. Trust me if it runs great on Switch I would take advantage of it , I am highly doubtful it how it will perform and at like $100 a year it better be great.

Surely we on Gaf are resourceful and creative enough to create new threads without hijacking them from the site everyone here keeps complaining about.

Especially a poor reactionary thread to a unconfirmed rumor that doesn't make any sense.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It still wont run great on Switch at its current form, lets see it running right now every game on gamepass, we keep hearing hype about being the “Netflix of gaming” so show us it running why so scared to let people play it. I like my Xbox one S but the hype about their cloud services is tiring, they were full of shit when they talked about how the power if the cloud was some unlimited power for the original One. Trust me if it runs great on Switch I would take advantage of it , I am highly doubtful it how it will perform and at like $100 a year it better be great.
Um.... Cloud destruction works. Not sure what you mean there.

Scared to show how XCloud works? I'm sure Microsoft is scared to show Xcloud running? LOL!

...Okay?

Top Bottom