• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Now Claims It's Actually Serious About Releasing Four First-Party Games Every Year

havoc00

Back in 2019, Xbox Game Studios boss Matt Booty said Microsoft wanted to release a new first-party game every three months, something the company doubled down on in 2021 and then again earlier this year. Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer is now talking about this again, telling IGN that releasing four first-party games per year was previously considered an "aspiration" but now it's the actual plan.

In 2023, Microsoft will deliver more than four. First-party releases so far in 2023 have included Hi-Fi Rush, Minecraft Legends, and Redfall, though Spencer said he understands if people don't want to give Xbox credit for that game given how it turned out. Microsoft's first-party output in 2023 also includes Age of Empires 4, which was just released on console, as well as Starfield and Forza Motorsport coming up soon.

For 2024, Spencer said releasing at least four first-party games will "absolutely" happen. "We have talked about it as an aspiration, now we talk about it as our plan," Spencer said.

Earlier this year, Microsoft stated that its "ambition is to release at least four first-party games a year," though the company left itself some wiggle room and said, "We'll also balance that out with careful consideration for each project's needs."

squarealex

girl-sure-jan.gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They owned 16 studios in 2019 when they made those comments. They bought 8 more in 2020 and then 12 more last year.

if they cant release 4 games per year from 36 studios then we have some real problems. Even with 6 year dev times, they should be able to release 6 games a year.

Last edited:
This year they have starfield, hi go, fortza and red fall. Last year was age of empire, pentiment, grounded etc. cod is a yearly franchise so that’s 1 they’ll always have. Avowed is early 2024 with hellblade…it’s possible for them. But it doesn’t mean 4 AAA games a year which is fine with me. Hi to rush wouldn’t exist in a AAA games mindset only.

Ozriel

M$FT
if u want play all of them sure. I don't think rent is smart. Subscription services are good for companies if it was better for consumers they won't be doing.

Or it can be good for both consumer and the company. Win-win.

I look at this ‘coming soon’ lineup and I wonder what part is supposed to be bad for me

oZd4BQD.png

The saddest thing about this is that there is a certan segment who will believe this wholeheartedly.

You mean aside from the 4 they’ve already announced for next year?

can’t be sadder than the resolute attempts to downplay all the time.

reinking

Gold Member
Phil went on to say "...and if we come up short, we can always buy more."

Arrested Development Flirt GIF

This should be an easy win for Xbox at this point.

Ozriel

M$FT
7-9 who will reply if you're critical of Microsoft.

‘critical’

Sure Jan GIF

Like clockwork, 'innit ?

Poster 1:
"Will they actually release 4 games a year ?"

Poster 2:
"Yes, they actually released more than that this year, here's the list"

Poster 1:
"
deaf.jpg

It’s like clockwork. The goalposts always move.
Third post in the thread already insists the 4 games have to be ‘tentpole AAA games’…I’m not sure when last any console maker released 4 AAA first party games in one year.

MS has had a rough decade after gutting their first party setup, but they now look certain to have hit their stride with their expanded first party studios…and there’s a clear line of sight to a more regular stream of first party games.

Ozriel

M$FT
God of War: Ragnorak
GT7
Horizon: Forbidden West
The Last of Us Part I

All released in 2022.

Ah. Didn’t remember TLOU 1.

I guess 2020 before that, with TLOU, GOT, Demon Souls and Miles Morales.

I stand corrected. Though those are outlier years 😀

Still, Microsoft has at least 3 first party AAA games lined up for 2024 in MSFS 2024, Hellblade 2 and Avowed, with the possibility of more announced. Also more if the CMA approves and ABK becomes first party.

Last edited:
Top Bottom