• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft paid 100 million USD for Tomb Raider timed exclusivity

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
This stuff works looks how well the Spider man Avengers dlc turned out

season 8 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

GymWolf

Now is understandable why TR didn't meet expectations...

I highly doubt they paid 100 mil for TR. I mean, it's a big brand and Microsoft really needed some exclusives but they aren't idiots. There are many ways to better spend that amount like subsidizing gamepass subs or even giving consoles away.

In that Twitter thread they say Horizon Zero Down had a 50 mil budget, just to put things into perspective.
only 50 mil? Holy shit...

Gta5 on ps3 was like 265 mil...

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Did you play the game? That game beat the entire Uncharted series and this is coming from someone who actually played it on a damn PS4. I knew it will not stay exclusive. Your average consumer probably did.

Did you? I can spot a mediocre end product if I see one. But I'm not daft, what's barely mediocre to me is a sure fire AAA experience for the masses, I get that.

Doesn't mean it's investment wasn't poorly done unless you go full retard and say; "hey, this was a wise investment because it caters to a broad casual audience" which is undoubtedly true and therefore another sad testament to who's really their primary audience.

But to answer your question.. was it the one on that Japanese island or the other one? You know, the one with nature and enemies and collectibles and shitty story? Yes I've played some of it; enough rather.

💗

They're OK games.

Last edited:

A.Romero

$100 million is nothing when they pay $3.5 BILLION for Minecraft right around that time.

Right but how much money has that given them back? Is not about the amount of money (obviously they have more than enough) but the expected returns. How stupid would one have to be to expect that a exclusivity deal for TR would have a good ROI for 100 mil?

The last really bad decision I can remember Microsoft made in regards to gaming and purchases was Rare.
only 50 mil? Holy shit...

Gta5 on ps3 was like 265 mil...
I was surprised too, considering they built Decima for that game.

I think GTAV includes a huge marketing campaign. Still the most expensive game so far.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Right but how much money has that given them back? Is not about the amount of money (obviously they have more than enough) but the expected returns. How stupid would one have to be to expect that a exclusivity deal for TR would have a good ROI for 100 mil?

The last really bad decision I can remember Microsoft made in regards to gaming and purchases was Rare.

I think GTAV includes a huge marketing campaign. Still the most expensive game so far.
It was an awful decision back then. it still is. MS was a mess back then.

Agent X

I can't believe MS spent 100m on a timed exclusive deal. There were rumors around 10m back then, that sounds more realistic.

$100 million seems like an awful lot of money for this deal. At the same time, $10 million seems too low.

With a deal like this, you want to be able to offset the amount of potential lost sales that you otherwise would have brought in, if the game had been released at the same time on other platforms.

GymWolf

Nah, rdr2 was more expensive.

nowhat

In that Twitter thread they say Horizon Zero Down had a 50 mil budget, just to put things into perspective.
Maaaaybe in development (doubt it, probably was higher), but double that for marketing. Sony really pushed it hard (not that it's a bad thing, that real-life Watcher was awesome).

MrS

Banned
Doesn't matter how rich they are, paying $100m for actual shit is a bad deal any way you slice it. Hopefully they've learned the lesson from shit like this.

fermcr

IF this is "TRUE" and Microsoft paid 100 million for Rise of Tomb Raider timed exclusive, that was a very very dumb decision.
100 million would likely be the complete budget for making Rise of Tomb Raider.

Since we are talking about Square, I'm wondering how much Sony paid for FF7 Remake exclusivity?

Last edited:
Their strategy has definitely improved this gen. That's not a worthwhile investment.

Makes you wonder what it costs for FFXVI, FFVIIR for Sony. Same publisher, so it's gotta be higher than that.

Doubt it - you have to think in terms of lost sales and number of sales lost from not having Xbox version is relatively small compared to total sales for majority of Japanise games.

intbal

I couldn't find the numbers, but I bet ROTTR sold fives times more copies for Xbox 360 than for Xbox One.

That wasn't just the Xbox. It was an overall Microsoft partnership that still exists. They still use Surface tablets on the sidelines and Xbox gets the Madden marketing rights.
The original deal was intended to be a major focus on Xbox, though. Of course when things quickly went to hell they couldn't simply backtrack on the deal and therefore repurposed it.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Have not played the latest Tomb raider yet, did enjoy the first two.

100 million, seems like a lot but Microsoft probably makes that in a day, so chump change.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Now, how much they are paying for getting games on GamePass, makes you think...

100m for fucking nothing, nice job there.
Much less. The opportunity cost to developers is less.

Wow. That’s stupid money. Could have bought an AA studio for that.
It was such a one-sided deal in favor of Square that the person who negotiated it explicitly puts it on his resume.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Nah, rdr2 was more expensive.
Good point. Probably is.

What do you think about the online expansions? Still below RDR2?

Maaaaybe in development (doubt it, probably was higher), but double that for marketing. Sony really pushed it hard (not that it's a bad thing, that real-life Watcher was awesome).
Wouldn't know for sure, I'm going by this article which was shared in that Twitter thread: https://gearnuke.com/horizon-zero-dawn-production-budget-revealed/

I agree with you, this wouldn't include marketing costs at all. Just development (in case it is correct).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Tomb Raider is all about the platforming and gunplay, the semi open world areas were better than I thought but let’s be honest Uncharted is still better and hey it’s tough for Uncharted to top its self.

GymWolf

gundalf

Their strategy has definitely improved this gen. That's not a worthwhile investment.

Makes you wonder what it costs for FFXVI, FFVIIR for Sony. Same publisher, so it's gotta be higher than that.

That is not a given, if MS didn't see the 100 mil worth for exclusivity in the FF franchise at that time, then Sony's exclusivity deal might likely be much smaller than 100 mil.

ethomaz

Banned
I forget to say... that is not related to MS but with game exclusivity in general.

Rise of Tomb Raider deal was worth of $100 million in 2015.

Game development and marketing costs increased substantially from these 6 years... today a deal for a game like that should be way higher.

Last edited:

NickFire

Obvious nonsense, which means it will become gospel on NeoGAF 🤭
Are you seriously questioning the veracity of a seemingly ridiculous claim based on an alleged partial screen shot of someone's resume shared by some random twitter account?

How dare you!

But yeah, anyway, seems like nonsense to me too.

junguler

Banned
the backlash was glorious, they fucked themselves really hard with that one and deserved every bit of criticism they got and then some.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Remember when the XB1 was announced they boasted about a $500M partnership with the NFL. Nothing really ever came of it either. Such wasted money...
That was for Microsoft Surface. It must be working out pretty well for both parties since they expanded the partnership in 2020.

Lethal01

i wonder how much Sony pays for FF7 remake/ ff16/ forspoken timed exclusivity O_O
Whatever it was it's not enough, Just the promise of remake on ps4 was a console seller and we still have no news about any chance of it coming to xbox and only rumors of it being on PC

Kdad

Now graph out marketshare for Xbox over the same period. Its interesting that its period of peak popularity actually coincides with the lowest points on the above.
As a shareholder do I care about market share or profit? I own Apple too...very low worldwide marketshare, obscene profit.

Alan Wake

Well, it made me buy an Xbox One that year. So there's that. Rise is the game that made me swallow that they did in 2013, and Xbox One ended up being my primary console last gen, which I certainly didn't expect.

Top Bottom