• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft pitches Xbox One to small businesses

Wereroku

If Sony was doing this, the Sony fans would say how great of an idea it is.

I like Sony and if they were to do this I would still think it was a stupid idea. From a cost perspective this is a horrible use of funds for a single use system. Also sharing a collaboration on work is the new VC norm and the one will not allow this not to mention the ongoing XBL costs.

I'm out of the Xbox loop for next gen, so I ain't defending outta fanboy love - but good luck getting multi user video conferencing through Skype for free on your PC + webcam.

Pillville

"Hey you can take this dartboard and use it as a bulletin board."
"But I just want to play darts?"
"But it works for both, you should put dartboards in all your offices."

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
If Sony was doing this, the Sony fans would say how great of an idea it is.

tumblr_m0tmegcivt1r8pfrsza.gif

CLEEK

Let's just hope this doesn't take off. They will be adding more and more business features.
Does it even play games anymore?

Why do you think the Xbox One has been designed from the ground up to run a Windows 8 kernel, if not for things like this.

It had no baring on the games. Skype, Linc, Skydrive integration is a benefit to anyone who uses them. It would be remiss not to use Kinect as a high quality web cam.

And I don't think folks here realise how expensive corporate VC devices can be, for feature sets less than the new Kinect. Just look at pricing for Polycom stuff.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why would a small businer owner buy a xb1 instead of a laptop which woukd be much cheaper and far more useful as you're not in a closed software environment

You cannot spin this as a good idea

A $400 laptop and $100 webcam is going to work better than the One (which is closer to a desktop) and new Kinect (that blows most webcams away)?

Not saying its the best solution here, because it isn't, but it's not a horrible solution either.

Wow.
And you buy those just for video conferencing?
you are getting ripped off

No, those are our day to day laptops (plus warranties on each). Would you buy a laptop just to leave in each conference room? See my above note then.

We have some better solutions, but Kinect isn't a horrible one.

If you were asked to provide a higher end, lower cost video conferencing solution that could be placed in multiple conference rooms around the world for work video conferencing what would you go with? Out of curiosity.

Why do you think the Xbox One has been designed from the ground up to run a Windows 8 kernel, if not for things like this.

It had no baring on the games. Skype, Linc, Skydrive integration is a benefit to anyone who uses them. It would be remiss not to use Kinect as a high quality web cam.

And I don't think folks here realise how expensive corporate VC devices can be
, for feature sets less than the new Kinect. Just look at pricing for Polycom stuff.

Of course corporate VC stuff is expensive, the amount of features and support of multiple cameras and screens is immense.

The Xbone is not offering any of that, rather something low end that can be matched by a notebook, HD webcam and free apps.

So please stop bringing up corporate VC solutions because what they can do is so much more.

Yoday

Their lack of focus is just incredible. They are taking this thing in way too many directions. It feels a lot like how they handled the Surface, and that has not gone well for them.

CLEEK

Of course corporate VC stuff is expensive, the amount of features and support of multiple cameras and screens is immense.

The Xbone is not offering any of that, rather something low end that can be matched by a notebook, HD webcam and free apps.

So please stop bringing up corporate VC solutions because what they can do is so much more.

Well, that's not the view of our Microsoft and Polycom reseller. He felt the new Xbox was going to be a great fit and incredibly competitive in the VC space.

Well, that's not the view of our Microsoft and Polycom reseller. He felt the new Xbox was going to be a great fit and incredibly competitive in the VC space.

As soon as they catch someone slacking off by playing CoD on the thing, I suspect they'll think otherwise.

kmax

Microsoft continuing to stab their main marketbase in the back by appealing to others that won't care.

Hey Microsoft, how about trying your best to bring the potential consumers you lost. Guess what, dropping DRM and required internet connection is not nearly enough to salvage your reputation at this point.

Nebula

You just need to pay £40 a year, and find a gamertag that sounds professional. I'm sure ShadierEarwig isn't going to impress potential customers you contact via Xbone.

Because you can't play games on every work PC ever... Or work smart phone...

It's significantly easier to play games on an Xbone (bring disc + controller, that's it) than it is to play on a suitably locked down PC (can't run non-approved .exes without admin approval, for example).

Pillville

It had no baring on the games.

Really? You don't think the time and money wasted trying make this an "office" device isn't taking away from gaming?

It's a complete waste of time and money anyway. There is already a device that does games and business, it's called a PC.
Every business I've worked for is very strict about what exact machines/software they allow in the building and network. I really don't think a gaming machine will allowed into corporate world unless it had a "NO GAMES" switch that only allowed Skype, IE, etc...

megalowho

And I don't think folks here realise how expensive corporate VC devices can be, for feature sets less than the new Kinect. Just look at pricing for Polycom stuff.
If a company is collaborating with multiple offices they can afford a Polycom setup, and having live support/operator assist on complicated calls is invaluable to less than tech savvy organizations. I have my issues with Polycom but it's a powerful platform that's widely accepted in the business world. Control is also a potential issue (no manual camera movement via remote, no remote, using gestures/a controller for setup).

I just forsee a lot of limitations in real world use as opposed to pro gear, and not enough benefits to have a significant advantage over low end solutions that still can stream 1080p at high bitrates.

seanoff

A few people here have never worked a Corporate or Government job before I see. My agency has literally bought over 20 of these.

http://www.jtfbus.com/jtf/item.cfm?ID=7991

Just for Skype and Powerpoint presentations.

just about every school in australia has those in every classroom. but they actually use them as interactive white boards.

i was a small business owner, no fucking way am i buying an Xbone for skye or anything else for that matter.

i can get a much more useful laptop for less.

wildfire

Banned
What this really reminds me of is last gen when Sony sold all those PS3s to the military to do number crunching or something and then trumpeted it like it was some cool thing. There doesn't seem much point because no-one is gonna be buying games for these things. Pretty sure Sony made a massive loss on all those PS3s while MS seem to be scoring a PR own goal with this move for little or no financial gain.

That's funny you would think that. MS has been nickel and diming big businesses for years with their licenses. They will try to do the same with small businesses.

Mael

So... a small business would buy that and not a general laptop because it's cheaper for skype despite the laptop not being linked to Live and the laptop being the mail server or something on top of that?
Wat?

Sky Chief

How many businesses are going to be willing to use Skype, a service that has voluntarily been sharing data with the NSA since long before PRISM was implemented, to have confidential video conferences? Not many, anyone who has worked in the corporate world knows how paranoid corporations are.

liquidtmd

Banned
XBox Live Gold for Business confirmed!

Dont worry though, if you just have Xbox Live Silver we'll let you check for those all important business emails once a day!

On a serious note: They are going after small businesses - fine. Going back to May 21st right through to E3, imagine for a second a small business owners reaction to Microsofts attitude to the whole questioning around legitimate concerns from their then gaming audience

They treated the gamers and journalist who asked reasonable questions (ignoring the more extreme fanboys) around their DRM like shit or that they were stupid. "We don't know. We haven't clarified that. It's a benefit. Fortunately you can buy a 360. Why would you want to live there? The power of the Cloud makes the machine infinitely power or at least the same as 40 Xbox 360's duct taped together". They seemed oblivious to the fact the hardcore gamers who were interested have a fairly good technical knowledge and are more discerning than the caricatured 'hardcore gamer' (Callodoody bro) - and now this same company in the guise of the same product wants to be treated serious with the more critical business industry, whose livelihoods depend on their resources?

On a side note: quite a few small businesses I know locally love Microsoft's support in the form of cracked versions of their various software. No condoning, its just the way things are at present

J-Rod

Why wouldn't they just use lync? It's a Microsoft product specifically built for stuff like this and unlike Live, it integrates with active directory, syncs with outlook, and plays well with Microsoft's actual business software.

daveo42

Banned
This news shows Microsoft would much rather build an HTPC instead of a game console. The Xbox is a means to an end for them.

Salvadora

How many businesses are going to be willing to use Skype, a service that has voluntarily been sharing data with the NSA since long before PRISM was implemented, to have confidential video conferences? Not many, anyone who has worked in the corporate world knows how paranoid corporations are.

That won't change a thing.

Marleyman

Banned
Microsoft continuing to stab their main marketbase in the back by appealing to others that won't care.

Huh? They are trying to expand it for people who may actually benefit from using it. This makes no sense.

[kmax said:
Hey Microsoft, how about trying your best to bring the potential consumers you lost. Guess what, dropping DRM and required internet connection is not nearly enough to salvage your reputation at this point.

I have a feeling nothing would be good enough for you by these statements.

Ourobolus

Banned
This sounds fantastic. Now I won't have to listen to those jerk-offs who constantly interrupt me during my briefings and meetings! Eventually after getting enough feedback, Microsoft won't allow them to join my meetings!

Kater

Banned
Hilarious stuff.
Why would my father (who is a small business owner) use a XBox One to make his presentations and Skype conferences when he can also use a cheap notebook?

Nobody buys a 500 Euro video game console when he can also get a notebook for 350 - 400 Euro which doesn't require you to pay a fee to use Skype or other software.

TheExodu5

Banned
A dedicated high quality voice conferencing device for $500 is not that bad. Using a PC is not cheaper since you need a dedicated PC for your voice conferencing room, and webcams are not likely to have the high quality wide angle view that Kinect will have. It all depends on whether or not the other business related functionalities of the device are adequate for the business (PowerPoint, etc...).

Is all of this just going on the fact that Microsoft registered the domain "officexbox.com" ?

Don't you guys think that this could just as likely be Microsoft protecting domain squatters from two of their most valued assets -- Microsoft Office and Microsoft XBox?

Top Bottom