• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q4: 1.1M XBO/360 Shipped

Tex117

Banned
Summer is slow...I doubt much will happen until Destiny drops...Thus begins the fall rush of games.

I think its obvious that Titanfall was not the system seller that MS intended it to be. As such, I think Destiny will have a huge impact in the coming months. People will buy the console that has most of their friends playing on it. My bet is a lot of gamers will buy Destiny for both consoles. Since Sony seems to have made some deals with Bungie, Ps4 along with their already larger base already has an advantage.

It depends for all it's 80 million install base the PS3 still managed to completely sink any profits accrued from the PS1 and PS2. I imagine significant profits on hardware are worth it if you can get away with it (as in still remain a decent and consistent selling rate.
That's achieved through price drops. Eventually, all of the people interested in a $400 console will have bought one. At that point, they drop the price to $350, and so on. That's why the PS1 and PS2 got price drops, despite having little or no competition.

We don't need MS to keep Sony honest; the market and their own self-interest can handle that just fine, thanks.

s3ltzer

Banned
Because there's no need to advertise the fact that it plays games. It's the new fucking Xbox. Xbox. A gaming device. It's obvious the thing plays games, they wanted to advertise it based on the new features it had that are unique to only it. Watching TV and video Skype while multitasking an app, plus efficient voice navigation.

Do you have the same complaint when iPhone commercial don't spend the entire commercial showcasing the ability to talk? It's a fucking phone of course it can call. What else can it do?

hmm, a mobile phone and a gaming console are two different breed of electronics. one is a "an everyday need" where as an xbox one/ps4 are gaming consoles, thus optional.

so yes, people are very likely to know that a mobile phone is used to talk. I mean, 5 yo kids now have mobile phones and tablets. a gaming console is different. there are still people out there who ask "what's an xbox?" or "what's a playstation"?. this is where marketing is so important.

Sony went with the whole gaming angle, whereas Microsoft chose the "all in one entertainment system" (along with some ridiculous initial policies which tarnished the brand). Sony's message was clear, backed up with great hardware and a less expensive price tag. it's no mystery why it's the leading platform for this gen.

So if less than 20K/wk is the base demand for the Kinected model in the US, what will be the base demand for the diKinected one? Surely not the 36K/wk it sold in June, since that likely represents the bulk of the people who'd been holding out hope of getting the console without the camera.

Well presumably May was disastrous for MS because of their early announcement which seems reasonable thus signifying consumers not interested in kinect waiting until June

So over 9 weeks MS sold 108k kinectless SKUs and 185.35k kinect SKUs with the knowledge of the kinectless SKUs existence/availability known for 7 of those 9 weeks

So if I had to guess I would say the kinectless baseline would be something to the order of 108k/7 -> 15.5K/week

The problem I have with trying to draw any conclusion based on said information is more the existence of the TF bundle then anything else as it potentially offers far more value.

July should be interesting because the TF bundle appears to be finally gone from an official standpoint

When it comes down to it, I think Kinect is still the primary differentiator between XBox and PlayStation. With PS4 being the same price, significantly more powerful, and with arguably better first-party offerings, there's really not much to draw people to the XBox platform this generation apart from Kinect. Offering the console without Kinect will bump their sales, to be sure, but how much? Even if it doubles the demand for the platform in the long term, that's still only 35-40K/wk in their biggest market by far.

Here's another interesting thing about the 55% figure. So they sold 108K in the US. If the US still represent 60% of their WW sales, that's as many as 180K of the new SKU worldwide. If the US is up around 70% for them now — which seems entirely possible given their performance in mainland Europe — then that would be 154K.

So… given that in Q3, they told us they were already overstocked on XBones with cameras, and then they needed to stock the shelves for their re-launch in June, are we assuming that most or all of the 470-600K XBones they shipped this quarter were the new model? That being the case, wouldn't that mean there are already 290-445K of the new ones sitting on shelves. So like, 2-3x what it sold during its launch month? Wouldn't that indicate Tier 1 retailers are pretty much stocked for Q1, and most/all of the Q1 shipments will be going to support the Tier 2 launch?

Personally I would be wary of assuming too much of a change in US/WW sales ratios simply because it's a powerful ratio. A change of 10% can alter your WW install base by quite a bit. At most I think even with how US centric XB1 is it's probably more to the order of 65% at most. That's just my gut feeling on the matter though

About XB1 shipments, I would have to assume MS shipped quite a bit of kinectless SKUs considering their general availability. I would imagine that there exists quite a stock of kinect models so refresh of that SKU seems unlikely to any large extent. And as I mentioned before it seems they intend to discontinue the TF bundle.

It wouldn't surprise me if Q1 shipments are mostly towards Tier 2 countries but at the same time, those markets aren't particularly large so who knows?

icespide

Banned
Because there's no need to advertise the fact that it plays games. It's the new fucking Xbox. Xbox. A gaming device. It's obvious the thing plays games, they wanted to advertise it based on the new features it had that are unique to only it. Watching TV and video Skype while multitasking an app, plus efficient voice navigation.

Do you have the same complaint when iPhone commercial don't spend the entire commercial showcasing the ability to talk? It's a fucking phone of course it can call. What else can it do?

one key difference is that making phone calls is now something people RARELY do on their cell phones while a video console is still mostly used to play video games for most people

BokehKing

Banned
Summer is slow...I doubt much will happen until Destiny drops...Thus begins the fall rush of games.

I think its obvious that Titanfall was not the system seller that MS intended it to be. As such, I think Destiny will have a huge impact in the coming months. People will buy the console that has most of their friends playing on it. My bet is a lot of gamers will buy Destiny for both consoles. Since Sony seems to have made some deals with Bungie, Ps4 along with their already larger base already has an advantage.
But what if the game looks similar on 360 as it does to the one (case in point Titanfall was kind of similar situation) . 360 has a large install base and may have the most copies of Destiny sold on that console... What I'm saying is, a 360 owner has no real reason to upgrade to a "one"
COD is right around the corner, as is Destiny, we are talking large chunks of people perfectly happy with the game looking the way it does on their 360. (in this case, chunks = millions) .

Actually, every single commercial from the first set of iPhone ads did convey the message that it was a phone. That's probably why it was a successful advertising campaign.

Here are seven early iPhone commercials; phone functionality appears in each one, either receiving or making a call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37fMdoU8kyY

The fact that the first commercial their aired focused wholly on SPORTS AND TV and didn't show a second of any videogames is indicative of their downfall in terms of focus. I don't think there were too many people who knew of the Xbox 360, watched that commercial, and then panicked that the new one wouldn't play games.

But it is a nice 30 second microcosm of Microsoft's failure in mindset.

more proof that yusuf mehdi and phil harrison need to be gone. everyone on the sony side is likeable and those two idiots are continuing the downfall of xbox

Ziffles

Actually, every single commercial from the first set of iPhone ads did convey the message that it was a phone. That's probably why it was a successful advertising campaign.

Here are seven early iPhone commercials; phone functionality appears in each one, either receiving or making a call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37fMdoU8kyY
This is why Apple is successful at these things. Simple messages, conveyed clearly, showing functionality that people will likely find useful. This is why you don't have people dancing around like idiots showing off one stupid gimmick that no one cares about.

SerTapTap

This is why Apple is successful at these things. Simple messages, conveyed clearly, showing functionality that people will likely find useful. This is why you don't have people dancing around like idiots showing off one stupid gimmick that no one cares about.

It's actually a nice feature, just a godawful ad. Trying to give it "personality" I guess. Their Surface Pro 3 ad was much better (and impressive as an ad--it's all one take): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTo5DfBtWkY

Microsoft figures out what they need to do...just...slowly.

It's sad, but the best PR Microsoft has gotten for the XB1 has come from reversing decisions they spent millions of dollars telling people they had made. Almost every bit of paid advertisement and endorsement has been wasted money, and much of the early stuff was actually actively harmful to the brand.

If even a fraction of their bloated marketing budget had actually been used in a way that generated positive results, this would probably be an entirely different situation. I suppose it's a hopeful sign, though, in that the old truism that you can sell people anything if you advertise it hard enough has been proven at least partially wrong: there's clearly a bar for quality on the advertising and not just money spent that has to be met.

nynt9

The NFL totally swindled Microsoft on that deal. It's really amazing.

And Phil Spencer was the one who made it happen! (along with the TV TV stuff)

Spencer and team led the development of brand new entertainment offerings including a landmark partnership with the NFL and collaborating with industry luminary Steven Spielberg to bring a new Halo live action TV series to life.

Puts the "I believe in Spencer!" stuff in an awkward context...

s3ltzer

Banned

Spencer and team led the development of brand new entertainment offerings including a landmark partnership with the NFL and collaborating with industry luminary Steven Spielberg to bring a new Halo live action TV series to life.

oh snap!

hmm, didn't the whole halo series get scrapped? i could be wrong...

Kuni

Well thankfully they did just that. They showed how you can watch the thing you've already been watching since the 50's through a $500 device and then they showed Skype, the massive multiplatform app that everyone and their grandma has access to... now for $500.

And it was a rousing success....

Wait... It wasn't and now they changed every single part of that vision in one of the biggest upheavals for a product vision I've ever seen.

Never believed in Spencer, not sure why he got a free pass when he was knee deep in the sewage like shit doesn't stick. He was as guilty as Medhi Yusuf and Don't Mattrick, the only difference is Mattrick didn't survive this and ended up taking the bulk of the blame and Yusuf wasn't as slick.

According to Showtime boss David Nevins, Halo the TV series is still on track despite the closure of Xbox Entertainment Studios, but Nevins fell short of confirming that everything will end well.

im going to guess that the contract might be hard to cancel at this point in production.

Never believed in Spencer, not sure why he got a free pass when he was knee deep in the sewage like shit doesn't stick. He was as guilty as Medhi Yusuf and Don't Mattrick, the only difference is Mattrick didn't survive this and ended up taking the bulk of the blame and Yusuf wasn't as slick.

IMO the entire team of executives had been out of touch since 2010 when the first kinect was introduced. It's just a shame it lasted long enough for them to design the next console.

BigDug13

If the payday Mattrick got is considered "not surviving", sign me up for not surviving now!

Not to mention Phil Spencer was also formerly head of MGS, which is renowned for their... well, let's say "underwhelming" output compared to Nintendo and Sony. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll do better than Mattrick, but I really don't get all the love. Especially up towards E3 when everyone was hyping him up and all he delivered was multiplats and CGI trailers for games we won't see for years (I'll get excited for them next E3, when we actually see them in action).

So yea, I honestly don't get all the love.

If the payday Mattrick got is considered "not surviving", sign me up for not surviving now!

To be fair, Mattrick did make a lot of money for MS. As much as I dislike it, Kinect was a run away success and brought Xbox to profitability... pretty high too. It's, I guess he let that go to his head. But yea, it's not like he got that big payday for nothing.

Death2494

If the 360 is more than half of the 1.1 million shipments, where is it all going? Sales haven't been great for it in the US, and Europe would be selling less than the US, and Japan..., is MS stuffing 360's into the channel as well?

I still think Xbox One is a majority of the 1.1 million, historical data be damned.

I'd say any where between 4.6-4.8 million.

I'm assuming Xbox 360 shipped more simply because it's available in more markets than the Xbox One. Xbox 360 also saw the release of Titanfall on April 8th. Xbox360 also has been moving more software, globally, than Xbox One. For those thinking 300k is too low. Microsoft mentioned they would be slowing production in order to allow retailers to move the some of their inventory. 900k were already in the retail chain at the beginning of 2014. Microsoft stuffed another 1.2 million expecting big numbers from Titanfall. I'm betting it's somewhere closer to 4.6 million. Otherwise Microsoft wouldn't have felt the need to slow production down.

It's still early so nobody's counting MSFT out. This generation has just started and they could make up a lot of ground. Sony should be releasing their report in early August (2 weeks after MSFT releases theirs). Grab some popcorn that day because it's going to get good on Neogaf.

I'm assuming Xbox 360 shipped more simply because it's available in more markets than the Xbox One. Xbox 360 also saw the release of Titanfall on April 8th. Xbox360 also has been moving more software, globally, than Xbox One. For those thinking 300k is too low. Microsoft mentioned they would be slowing production in order to allow retailers to move the some of their inventory. 900k were already in the retail chain at the beginning of 2014. Microsoft stuffed another 1.2 million expecting big numbers from Titanfall. I'm betting it's somewhere closer to 4.6 million. Otherwise Microsoft wouldn't have felt the need to slow production down.

It's still early so nobody's counting MSFT out. This generation has just started and they could make up a lot of ground. Sony should be releasing their report in early August (2 weeks after MSFT releases theirs). Grab some popcorn that day because it's going to get good on Neogaf.

This has been debunked pretty thoroughly.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Thanks. So the chance of Wii U out-shipping Xbox One is almost guaranteed at this point, right?

Any guesses on PS4's install base numbers anyone

Guranteed in the sense we don't know shit. We know MS shipments were bad but we don't know precisely how bad. So whatever number comes out for Nintendo it's out for interpretation unless it's more than 700k.

Thanks. So the chance of Wii U out-shipping Xbox One is almost guaranteed at this point, right?

Outshipping for this quarter alone? Maybe.. but we might never know exactly. I'd much prefer there were sales numbers to talk about, it's kind of a celebration of who can best stuff the channels otherwise.

Not to mention Phil Spencer was also formerly head of MGS, which is renowned for their... well, let's say "underwhelming" output compared to Nintendo and Sony. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll do better than Mattrick, but I really don't get all the love. Especially up towards E3 when everyone was hyping him up and all he delivered was multiplats and CGI trailers for games we won't see for years (I'll get excited for them next E3, when we actually see them in action).

So yea, I honestly don't get all the love

If you're used to getting kicked in the nuts on a constant basis, a slap in the face feels like a breath of fresh air.

Well presumably May was disastrous for MS because of their early announcement which seems reasonable thus signifying consumers not interested in kinect waiting until June
I like your "divide by seven" strategy, but I wonder if it gives us an inflated sense of the demand for the new SKU, as I imagine there are some number of people who've been waiting since launch to buy the core console. Maybe it's only 20-30K, but that can alter things fairly significantly, as now that they finally have their consoles, they don't really represent much in the way of sustained demand. It would be akin to assuming their "100k/day" back in November would continue forever. See what I mean?

I was thinking that May would be fairly telling, in that it might reveal how many people actually want the camera. Then lo and behold, average weekly sales of cameras was virtually the same in June as it was in May. However, I'd assumed the TF bundles were already gone. So are you telling me what they've been selling 18K/wk of is the $500 console + camera + TF bundle, and now they're pulling the game from the bundle, making it even less appealing? Yeesh. Well, if nothing else, I guess that tells us they aren't willing to break the bank buying market share.

Personally I would be wary of assuming too much of a change in US/WW sales ratios simply because it's a powerful ratio. A change of 10% can alter your WW install base by quite a bit. At most I think even with how US centric XB1 is it's probably more to the order of 65% at most. That's just my gut feeling on the matter though
Well, if you don't mind, let's try to break this down for a minute. As I recall, of the 3M they claimed sold in 2013, 60% were in the US, right? 1.8M? If that ratio is holding true, then with 2.9M in the US, they'd be at 4.8M worldwide. If it's 65%, as you suggest, then we'd be looking at WW sales of 4.5M, and a 70% US concentration would give them a total of 4.1M units sold through.

So where did they sell these units? They sold 2.9M in the US, obviously. I believe someone said 500-600K for the UK? Is that right? It sounds fairly reasonable. So that gives us 3.4-3.5M units accounted for. Agreed? If they're holding at 60%, that would mean "Tier 1.5" — Germany, Australia, etc. — would need to have purchased ~1.4 units since launch. ~1.1M in Tier 1.5 would put them at 65% US, and ~700K for 70%.

Follow? lol Okay, so we're looking for 700-1400K units in Tier 1.5. Where do we find them, exactly? I think Germany is the largest not-US/UK/JP market, right? So maybe half of what UK has purchased, and half of Germany for Australia? Oh, maybe another 250K in Canada? So that's 662K in T1.5. I know it pretty much flopped in Spain. Where else can they even sell a significant number of units? France? I can see 700K in not-US/UK, but 1100-1400K? iwannaseethereceipts.gif

Sorry, but I keep seeing WW estimates of 4.5-4.8M, but no one can explain where they were sold. All I usually get is, "I dunno; I just can't imagine they're doing that badly…" lol

It wouldn't surprise me if Q1 shipments are mostly towards Tier 2 countries but at the same time, those markets aren't particularly large so who knows?
26 countries add up pretty quickly. That's a lot of distribution centers to fill. If they entice all of them with their "Buy 15K; get 5K" Launch Day Saleathon, that's over half a million units. Granted, they won't need to restock Tier 2 for a year or two, but the extra 500K will be a nice PR bump going in to the holidays, and they can bill the $52M hardware writedown to Marketing. :p

Any guesses on PS4's install base numbers anyone

I tried a new estimation approach a day or so ago that I thought would be more accurate. Puts PS4 WW LTD at around 8.68M as of July 5th

I like your "divide by seven" strategy, but I wonder if it gives us an inflated sense of the demand for the new SKU, as I imagine there are some number of people who've been waiting since launch to buy the core console. Maybe it's only 20-30K, but that can alter things fairly significantly, as now that they finally have their consoles, they don't really represent much in the way of sustained demand. It would be akin to assuming their "100k/day" back in November would continue forever. See what I mean?

I'm fairly certain there was some portion of kinectless SKU buyers who were waiting on a lower price point and thus would not have purchased in May regardless of an announcement of a cheaper SKU or not however I have no way to account for that and thus must simply assume that the baseline demand for the kinectless SKU is likely to be < 15.5k a week by the numbers

I was thinking that May would be fairly telling, in that it might reveal how many people actually want the camera. Then lo and behold, average weekly sales of cameras was virtually the same in June as it was in May. However, I'd assumed the TF bundles were already gone. So are you telling me what they've been selling 18K/wk of is the $500 console + camera + TF bundle, and now they're pulling the game from the bundle, making it even less appealing? Yeesh. Well, if nothing else, I guess that tells us they aren't willing to break the bank buying market share.

Pretty much from what I've seen. For instance the Amazon Rankings of some SKUs

Code:
SKU        | March | April | May | June | July so far |
------------------------------------------------------------------
PS4 STD    | 01    | 05    | 06  | 08   | 11
XB1 Kinect | 76    | ??    | ??  | ??   | ?? 
XB1 TF     | 11    | 24    | 39  | 50   | ?? 
XB1 KL     | NA    | NA    | NA  | 49   | 56

As you can see the standard kinect XB1 SKU quickly fell to the wayside as soon as the better valued TF bundle came out. With the TF bundle falling to the wayside you would think some of the other SKUs would pick up a bit but I haven't seen that

Well, if you don't mind, let's try to break this down for a minute. As I recall, of the 3M they claimed sold in 2013, 60% were in the US, right? 1.8M? If that ratio is holding true, then with 2.9M in the US, they'd be at 4.8M worldwide. If it's 65%, as you suggest, then we'd be looking at WW sales of 4.5M, and a 70% US concentration would give them a total of 4.1M units sold through.

So where did they sell these units? They sold 2.9M in the US, obviously. I believe someone said 500-600K for the UK? Is that right? It sounds fairly reasonable. So that gives us 3.4-3.5M units accounted for. Agreed? If they're holding at 60%, that would mean "Tier 1.5" &#8212; Germany, Australia, etc. &#8212; would need to have purchased ~1.4 units since launch. ~1.1M in Tier 1.5 would put them at 65% US, and ~700K for 70%.

Follow? lol Okay, so we're looking for 700-1400K units in Tier 1.5. Where do we find them, exactly? I think Germany is the largest not-US/UK/JP market, right? So maybe half of what UK has purchased, and half of Germany for Australia? Oh, maybe another 250K in Canada? So that's 662K in T1.5. I know it pretty much flopped in Spain. Where else can they even sell a significant number of units? France? I can see 700K in not-US/UK, but 1100-1400K? iwannaseethereceipts.gif

Sorry, but I keep seeing WW estimates of 4.5-4.8M, but no one can explain where they were sold. All I usually get is, "I dunno; I just can't imagine they're doing that badly&#8230;" lol

Assuming a 65% US/WW ratio then given US LTD of ~2916k, WW sales would be ~4486k of sales WW, with ~1570k outside of the US which is what you're debating.

So in the UK, MS sold ~364k units in 2013. In the US MS sold ~1817k in 2013 to 1099k in 2014 so 60% as much. Extrapolating the final bit would mean .6 * ( 364) = 220k

So possibly the install base in the UK for XB1 is now 584k. I would argue though that the UK has received the best value via pricecuts, and promotions for XB1 from anywhere relative to initial launch value. It launched at 429 GBP or about ~731 USD which is actually higher than the intial PS3 launch price there btw

Since then they have dropped the price to 379 GBP for the kinect, 389 GBP for the TF bundle, and 349 GBP for kinectless BUT they did have the TF bundle for 349 GBP for several weeks so I feel XB1 might now be putting up more of a fight there then even in the US. Hard to tell though and the software certainly suggests PS4 is winning but I dunno.

I'd say maybe 300k more [instead of 220k] in the UK so like 684k total which leaves ~1M consoles WW. I don't really think it's so hard to imagine MS has garnered 1M sales in all other countries combined

I mean

126k XB1's sold in France in 2013, 36k in Spain in 2013, 100k in Germany in 2013, 66k in Australian Launch

So while not particularly impressive it does have sales outside the US just not as much usually

I tried a new estimation approach a day or so ago that I thought would be more accurate. Puts PS4 WW LTD at around 8.68M as of July 5th
I saw that. It seemed like a pretty reasonable estimate. EDIT: So I take it you also have no guesses as to where they could have possibly sold 1-1.5M units in Tier 1.5? These estimates of 4.5M or more worldwide just don't add up. Even 4.2M seems fairly generous. Just saw your edit. I'll get back to you. lol

So if your PS4 number is about right, that would give the PS4 a slightly better than 2:1 sell-through advantage over XBone through June. That would line up with Ubi's sales last quarter. Here's a chart I made for that thread:
1orP2iI.png

Note the chart only compares PlayStation and XBox; Wiis and other platforms are ignored. Anyway, it's also interesting to note the PS4 is overtaking XBone slightly faster than Gen8 is overtaking Gen7. (68/32 vs 63/37)

I don't get why some are so quick to berate the "I believe in Phil Spencer" meme. Its just a fun avatar meme, similar to the luigi hats, Kaz heads, beanies, etc.

Phil's left a good impression on me and others through twitter, recent interviews, his appearance on Giant Bomb etc.

He's not some saviour or god, but he is a likeable guy. I'm happy with the direction he is taking Xbox. Obviously it's not in the best position, and likely won't see the same success as the 360, but as long as the games keep coming, it won't affect me.

Top Bottom