• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Research: Holoportation Real-Time 3D Capture Demo For Hololens

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
One step closer to Star Wars.

When you see the Hololens view with the slightly transparency it looks totally like Star Wars, just without the scan lines.

Is this the first time where they show the true image of a Hololens? The bottom left corner.

AHTKKW7.png

Much more different than the "fake" composed image filmed with their hololens camera

RoyalFool

Banned
Again with the bullshit, the tiny little 'actual footage' pop-out looks like something from a mega cd game in comparison to the 3d mockup

RowdyReverb

That's kind of incredible. It's cool to be reminded that were living in the future

Is this the first time where they show the true image of a Hololens? The bottom left corner.

AHTKKW7.png

Much more different than the "fake" composed image filmed with their hololens camera

Again with the bullshit, the tiny little 'actual footage' pop-out looks like something from a mega cd game in comparison to the 3d mockup
You're right. The hardware isn't capable of this high fidelity yet, so they probably should just stop the research and presenting their concepts

AHTKKW7.png

the real footage is because the image is displayed on clear glass/plastic you look through, the camera capture is all the raw data used in the best way possible which is why it looks a lot better. Pretty much anything you see on the headset is going to look glossy and glow.

@.@ That moment when you feel like you're watching something from the future!
Just amazing advances in technology in the past few years!

Majmun

You want the same experience??

Buy the Hololens just for $399!*

*doesn't include the five tracking camera's that cost $3999 each.

RoyalFool

Banned
That's kind of incredible. It's cool to be reminded that were living in the future

You're right. The hardware isn't capable of this high fidelity yet, so they probably should just stop the research and presenting their concepts

It's important we don't forget that they sold a lot of kinect hardware based on faked demonstrations, I'd never have purchased one had the limitations been made more apparent. And therefore given the history I'm reluctant to give them an open pass on these things in future. A lot of other tech companies (look at any of the VR headsets) generate a lot of buzz without faking footage.

The field of vision and limited processing power means it just displays a very small 2D portion of the person,, doubt you can even see the whole body unless they stand a very long distance away due to the limited FOV on the device.

Concepts like this are why I think Facebook got involved in VR, the applications outside of gaming could be huge. I dread to think how much money some guys would pay to have a cam girl in a virtual room with them.

HowZatOZ

Banned

AHTKKW7.png

Concept is the key word here bud, they ain't going to be marketing this as the real deal anytime soon.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

*doesn't include the four tracking camera's that cost $3999 each.

Keep in mind this is a Microsoft Research project. They just work on concepts that sometimes become retail products and often they don't.

Having said that the tracking cameras are probably based of Kinect technology.

Caayn

It's important we don't forget that they sold a lot of kinect hardware based on faked demonstrations, I'd never have purchased one had the limitations been made more apparent. And therefore given the history I'm reluctant to give them an open pass on these things in future. A lot of other tech companies (look at any of the VR headsets) generate a lot of buzz without faking footage.

The field of vision and limited processing power means it just displays a very small 2D portion of the person,, doubt you can even see the whole body unless they stand a very long distance away due to the limited FOV on the device.

Concepts like this are why I think Facebook got involved in VR, the applications outside of gaming could be huge. I dread to think how much money some guys would pay to have a cam girl in a virtual room with them.
You do realize that MS has stated multiple times that the Hololens tech isn't ready for consumers yet. And that this is Microsoft Research department not the gaming side of Microsoft.

RowdyReverb

I get that, but the Kinect 2.0 was finally poised to deliver on the things the 1.0 wasn't capable of. That is, until it got dropped like a hot potato. The tech just needed time to catch up to the ideas.
They've said that they don't want HoloLens to be another Kinect situation, so I think they're going to hold off on releasing a consumer version until they can really deliver on the tech side. Until then, I don't mind getting these glimpses of the future, even if it isn't representative of what is currently possible.

Caayn

And kinect v1 was ready for consumers?
If the 360 had more horse power to drive it? I would say yes. Was it capable of everything MS initially promised? No. I think that if the 360 had more power I think that we'd seen a very different Kinect v1. Kinect v1 was burdened by the hardware of the 360.

The difference here is is that MS marketed the Kinect tech as ready for consumers, they're doing the exact opposite here with the tech behind Hololens. So I don't really understand your posts.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Why would anyone choose AR over VR? And even then, VR with outwards facing camera can also accomplish AR. Waste of time from microsoft in my opinion.

Because AR has some pretty crazy useful aspects to it? Because its a cool technology that no one else is publicly investing RnD dollars into? Because Star Wars?

Zedox

This is the opposite of Kinect. They brought it out and thought people would develop games for it. Got people hyped up but had no good content and it just wasn't there. HoloLens, they are getting developers (and companies) involved before going out to the general public with selling it.

v1 of HoloLens isn't out for consumers. Very big difference.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OT: I watched this video before it came on here and was like...this is one of the things I envisioned HoloLens could do. Glad to see MSR actually implementing it. It's the future. Really cool tech.

Figments

I mean, you're free to be butthurt about Kinect, but there's a big difference between between the ways in which Kinect was positioned compared to HoloLens now. None of this is marketing towards consumers. It's research concepts demoed for the express purpose of figuring out what to do with the tech.

Figments

Why would anyone choose AR over VR? And even then, VR with outwards facing camera can also accomplish AR. Waste of time from microsoft in my opinion.

Because VR headsets, by their very design, are isolating pieces of technology meant to be experienced by a single person. AR has many more real world applications and isn't as isolating.

Lol at people calling this a "waste of time".. This should have been posted in the off topic section, gamers think the world revolves around games.

wondermega

That's really impressive. We've worked on not-dissimilar stuff in our studio (AR headsets, virtual humans) but this is taking it to the next level.

Yeah MS was not doing anyone a lot of favors by showing previous AR footage without some kinda post-process to more appropriately reflect the true presentation of the image ("ghostly" w limited field of view) but that will all be forgotten about in time anyway. As it stands right now, all of this tech is very early, but already in the current state quite impressive if you've seen it with your own eyes. If not, don't rush to be so dismissive-

Fat4all

Banned

AR and VR are in two different markets, both have applications in games, media, technical and medical works that contrast against each other.

No need to pit them against each other.

@.@ That moment when you feel like you're watching something from the future!
Just amazing advances in technology in the past few years!

I know man, I was saying something to people on Facebook about how we might be living like the Jetsons very soon. It's crazy to think anything like this is even possible.

RowdyReverb

Lol at people calling this a "waste of time".. This should have been posted in the off topic section, gamers think the world revolves around games.
Last time there was a new HoloLens concept video, I posted it to off-topic for this reason
I'm saying in theory a VR headset with front camera can do everything a AR headset can, while an AR Headset only has a fraction of the possibilities of a VR Headset.
Maybe so. There's going to be some latency issues to work out first though. Like the digital viewfinders in mirrorless cameras, the projection of images from the external camera will be slightly delayed until they figure out some ways to speed up image processing

Another question would be why stick an expensive outward facing camera on a VR headset if AR does that anyway? VR as it sits right now is completely stationary, and I'm suspicious that people would ever warm up to a "Gundam" like situation where you can technically see but it's filtered through a camera. With AR, you can wear it and still get up and walk around.

The field of view on this was wider when they had it tethered, but they (wisely) realized that the value in the tech is it being a lot more mobile.

You want the same experience??

*doesn't include the five tracking camera's that cost $3999 each.
This is obviously gonna be for expensive conferencing setups for a while but eventually things become practical for regular consumers.

Newlove

maxresdefault.jpg

"You think this is the real Quaid? It is!"

In all seriousness it reminds me of the "future" tech Tom Cruise was using in Minority Report when viewing old family footage. Really cool.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

AHTKKW7.png

Still very impressive and it's early days for the tech. It's going to be a game changer.

Honestly I don't know why people think this is VR set competition. In AR threads people become such pessimists. This could very well be the future of computation. 3D images in real space has so so soooo many promising possibilities you don't even need to think long about it. AR and VR are so different. This tech will get better, it will shrink.

I can't wait till the price of this thing is revealed. It's gonna be high and people are going to freak out and compare it to VR gaming devices. People need to get this in their heads now, this is its own device. This isn't a peripheral of Xbox or Windows.

Top Bottom