• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Research: Holoportation Real-Time 3D Capture Demo For Hololens

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I feel like MS has an entire dept dedicated to making fake videos of technology or stupid ideas for future that will never happen. No company in history does it as much as they do. Some weird fetish but I guess the tech blogs eat it up and that's the point.

So much ignorance in one post.

Justinh

"I love you so much...come home soon" she says as she longs for her father to return. It's been 2 years since she'd seen his face, although she occasionally gets the opportunity to hear his voice. The only way she's gotten to know her father. But MS corporate just won't let him be free, he has to keep slaving away on his research. The virtual world may be the only place he can see and hear his daughter, but he is still able to feel her in his heart.

As he takes off the headset, he is filled with sadness, regret, heartache, pain. But the viewers don't want to see that. They can't. Quick cut back to the demo. They only need to see information on Hololens, the project that Shahram hopes will bring him back home to his family. Even if it's virtual.
By1JWyw.gif

why you gotta make me feel pity for the man like that?

xabbott

I feel like MS has an entire dept dedicated to making fake videos of technology or stupid ideas for future that will never happen. No company in history does it as much as they do. Some weird fetish but I guess the tech blogs eat it up and that's the point.

There are other companies, researchers, and students working on very similar AR projects. You can even preorder one AR headset from https://www.metavision.com/

MS is definitely not the only company with a research department though. Most of those patents you see from other companies that seem to never get used come from somewhere...

Aranjah

"I love you so much...come home soon" she says as she longs for her father to return. It's been 2 years since she'd seen his face, although she occasionally gets the opportunity to hear his voice. The only way she's gotten to know her father. But MS corporate just won't let him be free, he has to keep slaving away on his research. The virtual world may be the only place he can see and hear his daughter, but he is still able to feel her in his heart.

As he takes off the headset, he is filled with sadness, regret, heartache, pain. But the viewers don't want to see that. They can't. Quick cut back to the demo. They only need to see information on Hololens, the project that Shahram hopes will bring him back home to his family. Even if it's virtual.
By1JWyw.gif

Not gonna lie, this is the exact kind of vibe I got when the first words from the girl's mouth were "When are you coming home?"

Other than that tinge of creepiness/sadness, the video was pretty cool. Look forward to seeing where HoloLens is in about 5 years.

Tesseract

Banned
This is great, sometimes seeing someone makes all the difference in constructive conversation.

Donald Trump in my bedroom at last.

RCSI

I had this idea since I received the Oculus DK2. Granted, idea, not execution or know-how is fairly relevant in this case.

AHK_Hero

By1JWyw.gif

Bravo.

Even with all the caveats and the clear gulf in the experience seen through the hololens and the special demonstration camera, this is an awesome demo of exciting technology. Great work by that team.

Rembrandt

Banned
Pretty cool Star Wars tech. But, we won't see it. I'm still waiting for the Microsoft Surface Tables...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006C4OX42/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's almost like they have a research department.

Even with all the caveats and the clear gulf in the experience seen through the hololens and the special demonstration camera, this is an awesome demo of exciting technology. Great work by that team.

Those caveats are really non-problems to the companies, universities and developers using Hololens currently. It's tech in development. Most people can see the multitude of applications that come from it and the innovation in the tech without being dissuaded by its FOV because they appreciate technology and don't have a weird sense of brand loyalty that makes them pessimistic towards cool shit like this.

Zedox

I would bet money that a ton of this was faked.

Seeing as they are researchers...I wouldn't bet on that. Especially MSR. I've actually done research with them when I was in college...these folks know their stuff. I did research (NC State) on Microsoft Pex with Microsoft Research, which was a automated white-box testing tool...it's now apart of Visual Studio under a different name. Really cool shit. I did automated video game testing research with it. I actually got some stuff to work with XNA games and how one should build their game on models so that the testing can help you define stuff...cool and fun stuff. I guess I could always finish that stuff I was working on but now I got a job (another software company) and less time for that. Sorry, I was rambling...been drinking and happy as shit that Syracuse (my hometown) made it to the Elite Eight. w00t.

Yeah, MS Research is the Real Deal.

But this should definitely have been in OT. HoloLens does not have a bright future in gaming, methinks. AR is going to blow the doors off when it's consumer-ready, though.

MogCakes

HoloLens does not have a bright future in gaming, methinks

Not now, no. But in a couple or a few decades when technology has advanced in ways none of us can conceive - the way we live, communicate, everything, will be possibly infused into VR/AR. Computing interfaces will be done though AR overlays to our vision via goggles or glasses. It sounds completely science fiction right now, but it's not so far fetched. Technology is advancing at a sprint.

jax

Banned
Would be cool if the FoV wasn't so laughably bad. I think AR is going to be really neat in 5-10 years. Today... Eh.

Trike

big deal, Batman could do this without 3D cameras with his detective vision. Microsoft should have way more resources than a sole mysterious caped crusader.

Step up your game, Microsoft.

Caayn

By1JWyw.gif
Even though it's probably meant as a funny quip. I wouldn't be surprised if this wouldn't see some military usage for exactly that reason. Let person on the ground stay on touch with their families through holograms to boost their morale.

It's already incredibly impressive. Can't wait to how this tech advances in the years ahead.

I wonder if people will use this to keep virtual copies of themselves around even after they're dead. Imagine being in a room like this with a virtual clone of a loved one who passed away...

Because VR headsets, by their very design, are isolating pieces of technology meant to be experienced by a single person. AR has many more real world applications and isn't as isolating.

Thank you.

AR is a very important step forward for many occupations and jobs. Imagine the information that could be available to doctors, stock analysts and builders 24/7, stapled into the 3D world and displayed on AR technology?

VR is good for its own reasons entirely in that regard, but both have strengths and weaknesses when used for work.

You mean like R&D?

Or...Microsoft Research?

You might be quite right in that there are few companies that invest as much in that as Microsoft does.

And I'm sure that entire department exists to create fake videos or stupid ideas that tech blogs can eat up, yup.

Kael

Banned
Got to love how -

1. People think that everything is designed around games and if they don't see how it can benefit games then the tech is useless. Fyi, if you are one of these people, reevalute your life.

2. People think that a product immediate becomes perfect and ready for consumers as soon as the idea is formed.

Markoman

Ah, once again science has caught up with fiction/imagination from the past.

- hover boards...check
- mobile communicators...check
- two class social system (Eloi vs Morlocks)...check
- Big brother and everything in 1984...check
- The matrix...on it's way
- Sonic weapons...check
- light sabers...sorry guys, never ever

When will they be able to build the first death star? Will it be Chinese (Foxconn) or American?

Pif

Banned
I'd like to see the image quality and FoV size of an actual Hololens, not the better quality from a rigged camera for sure much superior to the headset.

This is cool for TV news and such.

Ogni-XR21

Who is to say that some of the tech used here won't find it's way into VR apps. Meeting "real" people and not some form of avatar in VR could work quite well with this.

I cant really see this tech taking off. Seems like its answering a problem nobody really has.

That said, I would never of imagined something like whatsapp totally removing the need to make phone calls for many people.

Caddle

Why would anyone choose AR over VR? And even then, VR with outwards facing camera can also accomplish AR. Waste of time from microsoft in my opinion.
Yes Microsoft waste of time, you should hire this junior to show you how it's done.

krang

Why would anyone choose AR over VR? And even then, VR with outwards facing camera can also accomplish AR. Waste of time from microsoft in my opinion.

I was of this opinion - why waste time on that complex screen when you could reproject the camera to a VR screen. But then I did some research and that's not true. Well, it is true - it works, but there is always lag from camera to screen making walking around, doing normal things a lot more disorientating and unviable when your entire field of view is the reprojection from the camera. Also lower resolution than IRL.

Dunkley

Here's hoping you can change the blueish look to gold so I can pretend to summon Phantoms to engage in jolly holoporation.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Claim, silly reductionist comparison. Not worth discussing.

Pretend I'm an idiot and explain to me what video chat offers over audio chat. Or don't indulge it--I can just not be coy. The concept of video chatting was not immediately obvious to me and I rarely used Skype before Facetime became big. Of course, I lived in my home town. Then I moved a few thousand miles away. And my Dad had a terminal illness. Suddenly, being able to share my life through video meant more than just audio: I wanted my family to see where I lived and how I lived and what I looked like and I wanted to see what they looked like. I remember when my Mom stopped dying her hair, seeing it get greyer and greyer each time we talked. I can't describe this as rational, but it's deeply felt, and it's real. Around the same time, my then girlfriend now wife got into video chatting with her nephews, who at the time were only a few years old and now are in middle school. She's been able to have a relationship with them. They know her.

I see potential for VR telepresence to add to the depth of the bonds we form when we communicate with others. Being able to see where someone is, their posture, how they occupy their space, the state of things beyond the blank wall behind the person speaking. Being able to interact with them. Being able to "sit" virtually on their couch, watch their kid--or your kid, for parents who are abroad--do a dance or a song. I'm not sure this is rational either, but it feels to me like something that brings emotional, affective value.

I think a similar story can be told about the conducting of business over great distance. It is not immediately rationally obvious why speaking to people gives us something that text does not; why seeing them gives us something that hearing them does not; or why being with them gives us something that seeing them does not. But I think when you experience it it becomes quickly obvious what it adds.

I am not saying that this technology is ready for primetime, that it won't take a generation, that it won't require investment, that it won't require a transformation in how we structure our space and our technology. I just think that if people pull it off successfully, this is a big step in communications technology and a big business opportunity for the players making the early investments.

Top Bottom