• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Research: Holoportation Real-Time 3D Capture Demo For Hololens

Striek

This will never be everyday technology, in the telecoms sense that people think. Its backwards compared to standard voice or video. There is literally no benefit and tons of downsides re: cost, complication, equipment, setup. The scenarios people have for this tech are fantasy.

Gestault

The part of the presentation that seemed weakest conceptually was having tracking keyed to the daughter's toys. Since a major component of the tech is filtering information (so figures appear without their backgrounds), the idea of it knowing to track a subject of conversation IN THE FUTURE just felt like a pretty lie.

This is a good presentation, but that point stands out to me.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Figments said:
AR has many more real world applications and isn't as isolating.
Actually AR is just a subset of VR, so no, it really doesn't have more applications.
It does however, present an easier way to sell the same concepts to the masses.

Zedox

Here we go again with AR v. VR. Jeez...can't we just talk about the actual topic instead of getting in these same old tired arguments? The communication aspect of this is amazing and the "living memories" thing is pretty cool (even though that's more of a marketing type of fluff but it's really no different than watching an old video but in 3d)

I've seen this sort of 3D tracking done with the Kinect V2. This setup is much improved but it's not an entirely new concept.

Also, why does Microsoft feel the need to build expectations like this with new devices? They're making the same mistakes they made when they first introduced the Kinect. Glancing into the potential and future of a device is fine but you need to properly label it as such, you ninnies.

Zedox

I've seen this sort of 3D tracking done with the Kinect V2. This setup is much improved but it's not an entirely new concept.

Also, why does Microsoft feel the need to build expectations like this with new devices? They're making the same mistakes they made when they first introduced the Kinect. Glancing into the potential and future of a device is fine but you need to properly label it as such, you ninnies.

Microsoft Research...that's the whole point of it.

MogCakes

Hm. So Hololens is essentially an augmented reality where holograms are possible. Businesses stand to gain a lot from using this just for holding conferences overseas. Fantastic stuff.

Alx

Those were kinect v1 actually. :p
The concept itself isn't new, but the part that probably required the most work was data compression. Raw 3D streams are quite big, and for the remote communication feature they were demoing you have to redice its size a lot, while still achieving visual fidelity.
I've started looking into publications of depth video compression, there is apparently no standard yet. And in that case it's even more than just a depth video, since there are several cameras surrounding the user.

Fat4all

Banned
Hm. So Hololens is essentially an augmented reality where holograms are possible. Businesses stand to gain a lot from using this just for holding conferences overseas. Fantastic stuff.

I dunno if this will be a big business-class thing, as you still need the glasses, seems much better suited for the medical field.

Combined with scans, it could give doctors much more dynamic views of a persons insides, possibly in real time.

Bsigg12

I dunno if this will be a big business-class thing, as you still need the glasses, seems much better suited for the medical field.

Combined with scans, it could give doctors much more dynamic views of a persons insides, possibly in real time.

They are actually using it in some universities for just that.

Evo X

Glitchy ass low-res kid. lol

Pretty cool concept though. Once it becomes higher fidelity and doesn't require a 12 camera capture rig.

Its creepy how close this looks to the minority report holograms. You can see that it doesnt quite capture the object correctly all the time and is always moving a little bit and the light stretching from the object.

hologram.jpg

Alx

Its creepy how close this looks to the minority report holograms. You can see that it doesnt quite capture the object correctly all the time and is always moving a little bit and the light stretching from the object.

hologram.jpg

I think they had a technical advisor from Microsoft for the movie actually, and most of what he included was inspired by real prototypes of that time. No doubt he already had seen/used depth cameras. *edit - or at least some MIT guys. I was pretty sure one of them had worked at MS at one time, but can't find any source.

I'm saying in theory a VR headset with front camera can do everything a AR headset can, while an AR Headset only has a fraction of the possibilities of a VR Headset.

Why do that when you can just see the real world with the added stuff instead? Also until they can put the front facing camera(s) in or on your actual eyeball, there's always going to be a bit of a disconnect with video pass through since the image you get will always be slightly off.

But again, as people have already mentioned, these aren't competing technologies. They have some overlap but ultimately have different applications. At some point (in the not too close future) they'll be convergent anyway.

shoreu

This will never be everyday technology, in the telecoms sense that people think. Its backwards compared to standard voice or video. There is literally no benefit and tons of downsides re: cost, complication, equipment, setup. The scenarios people have for this tech are fantasy.

Never lol? I think in 50 years stuff like this is going to be really cheap and easy to use.

I don't think never is the proper word you should be using here.

Striek

Nah, I mean never. Even when it becomes cheap and easy to use, people wont. It'll be bypassed by something else. This isn't something that businesses will ever want to use. It wont replace face-to-face meetings. It wont supersede normal video or voice. It is pointless in the main area people are saying it'll do big business.

Justinh

Title sounds like Star Trek level techobabble

Consider that Microsoft owns Skype.

Consider that Facebook bought Oculus.

There's a real long-term vision for 3D VR/AR telepresence communication. This will be big business in a few years. Why should an executive fly first class around the world for a business meeting when they can be in the room without leaving their house? Here's a link to me making this same argument the day Facebook bought Oculus.

Ooh, I didn't even think of Skype.
I've been hoping that this kind of tech gets "mature" quickly so I can send some sort of headset or whatever up to my Grandmother so she can do this sort of thing with us since she's too old to fly now. I'd have to get another relative up there to figure out and set it up, because she hates technology stuff, but I think she'd love this. She even just loves Skype video chat.

Synth

I'm saying in theory a VR headset with front camera can do everything a AR headset can, while an AR Headset only has a fraction of the possibilities of a VR Headset.

Along with the other explanations posted (such as the camera not being where your actual eyes are), I wouldn't ever want to be walking around with a view that could disappear at any random moment due to something like a battery dying, or an app crashing. With AR you can trust your own natural vision that's simply being augmented. And AR even at the very limited FOV that the Hololens has currently doesn't have any drawbacks in regards to your own peripheral vision, which is something that would have to become incredible for VR to match. And then there's the effectively infinite resolution and complete lack of latency of any sort that would apply to real world view in AR.

I don't believe VR is well suited at all for mobile use.

EDIT: And to add to the previous post about peripheral vision. If AR tech shrinks down to the point where you can basically embed it in a pair of glasses, that'll look perfectly fine in AR, but wouldn't work in VR... so VR is essentially limited to form factors where the user has to wear a full-on headset... which we all know people aren't going to do in their everyday lives.

Flintty

Advertising will go fucking crazy for this. That scene in BTTF2 when the shark comes out of the cinema sign? Yup. If everyone is wearing Hololense on 10-20 yes time we'll be seeing animated holographics at bus stops and all sorts of shit.

Awesome demo video. Keep plugging away, MS.

Genio88

That looks awesome, to me way more interesting than VR, of course it's still early, can't wait to see where will they arrive with the retailer version in a few years

Deadstar

Advertising will go fucking crazy for this. That scene in BTTF2 when the shark comes out of the cinema sign? Yup. If everyone is wearing Hololense on 10-20 yes time we'll be seeing animated holographics at bus stops and all sorts of shit.

Awesome demo video. Keep plugging away, MS.

Idiocracy is coming!

Rembrandt

Banned
Why would anyone choose AR over VR? And even then, VR with outwards facing camera can also accomplish AR. Waste of time from microsoft in my opinion.

AR has far more practical uses than VR. It'll get to the point where you'll get both in the same device, but no reason to discount AR at all unless you're incredibly shortsighted.

tr00per

That's really cool tech

Why would anyone choose AR over VR? And even then, VR with outwards facing camera can also accomplish AR. Waste of time from microsoft in my opinion.

Well once AR becomes advanced enough, it can INCLUDE VR

But right now VR is definitely further along

Edit: basically what Rembrandt said

shoreu

Nah, I mean never. Even when it becomes cheap and easy to use, people wont. It'll be bypassed by something else. This isn't something that businesses will ever want to use. It wont replace face-to-face meetings. It wont supersede normal video or voice. It is pointless in the main area people are saying it'll do big business.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one. At some point the hololens (or something like it )will be in your eyes giving you an Ar Hud. And these cameras could be built in conference rooms.

Only time will tell honestly.

tensuke

"I love you so much...come home soon" she says as she longs for her father to return. It's been 2 years since she'd seen his face, although she occasionally gets the opportunity to hear his voice. The only way she's gotten to know her father. But MS corporate just won't let him be free, he has to keep slaving away on his research. The virtual world may be the only place he can see and hear his daughter, but he is still able to feel her in his heart.

As he takes off the headset, he is filled with sadness, regret, heartache, pain. But the viewers don't want to see that. They can't. Quick cut back to the demo. They only need to see information on Hololens, the project that Shahram hopes will bring him back home to his family. Even if it's virtual.
By1JWyw.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

claim: there's no benefit to video chat compared to audio calling

discuss.

I feel like MS has an entire dept dedicated to making fake videos of technology or stupid ideas for future that will never happen. No company in history does it as much as they do. Some weird fetish but I guess the tech blogs eat it up and that's the point.

GreyWind

"I love you so much...come home soon" she says as she longs for her father to return. It's been 2 years since she'd seen his face, although she occasionally gets the opportunity to hear his voice. The only way she's gotten to know her father. But MS corporate just won't let him be free, he has to keep slaving away on his research. The virtual world may be the only place he can see and hear his daughter, but he is still able to feel her in his heart.

As he takes off the headset, he is filled with sadness, regret, heartache, pain. But the viewers don't want to see that. They can't. Quick cut back to the demo. They only need to see information on Hololens, the project that Shahram hopes will bring him back home to his family. Even if it's virtual.
By1JWyw.gif

I just laughed so hard. lol

Top Bottom