• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Shares Vision for the Future of Windows and Xbox One Game Development

see5harp

They can still make a new box called Xbox Two.

But in your heart of hearts you're taking the news that you will FINALLY be able to create a universal app for windows 10 and xbox one as a sign that they are done with xbox? This is what they've been moving towards since they announced the idea years ago. It's good business sense for both windows and xbox.

gamz

According to a Forbes contributor Gears 4 is coming to PC, maybe this is part of the next wave of UWP games to hit the store.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/03/17/its-time-for-microsoft-to-bring-all-the-halo-games-to-pc/#17c581736162
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/03/15/gears-of-war-4-multiplayer-beta-coming-this-april/#1bb63af3a46f

The writer is mistaken though, PC version has not been confirmed, only teased.

It's Forbes. There's no official word yet. I'd be surprised if it isn't tho.

Kezen

Banned
It's Forbes. There's no official word yet. I'd be surprised if it isn't tho.

Well I don't see much point in bringing Gears UE and not the next chapter but I'm not aware of how far they want to push this unification thing.

jaypah

I wouldn't put this all on that. They also have a new CEO who has fundamentally changed Microsoft and the way they operate.

Right, MS wouldn't restructure their entire Windows business based on console sales lol. They're trying to use every resource that they have, Xbox included.

So, what does all this mean for us? People talking like this is Microsoft bowing out of the "dedicated console box" race....is that what this actually is? Or does that require some additional assumptions? What's to get excited about with regards to the Universal Windows Store coming to XBOne?

Man its amazing what losing one console generation does to the backing of the parent company. simply amazing.

They have been moving towards that goal way way before xbone entered the market. Besides, it's a company wide push, I doubt a failing console over a secondary division would have that much force to change the entire company towards that goal.

It means that they don't have to make a special box that's just for Xbox.

It wouldn't really matter if it's Dell or Microsoft making a Windows 10 Multimedia computer for your TV just like it don't really matter if it's Dell or Microsoft making a Windows 10 tablet.

You can get the one that you like.

Eventually they may get to that. However I think they will always have a reference design to at least drive the OEMs to innovate. Look at how much they improved their hybrid offerings since Surface entered the market.

Bsigg12

Care to give any insight as to what this even means, then? Why should we, as consumers or enthusiasts, care about any of this?

Games will always be compatible with each new console revision.

The Xbox One is the "reference" device. If you have a PC, great, play the games there. If not you'll be able to play the games on the Xbox One just fine.

A unified store should ultimately lead to crossbuy as a standard for PC and Xbox One games. Buy once, play anywhere.

More games as a whole could make their way over to the Xbox One especially with Monogame getting Xbox One support.

madjoki

Steam Concurrent Users 12 Million (Don't know active accounts)

around 150 M.

CdswYnXVAAI76qJ.jpg:large

Witcher 3 Sales = 1.2 Million on PC, total 10 million shipped across all platforms.

Currently Witcher 3 has sold 1.4M on Steam alone. That's from single retailer. (According to SteamSpy)

onQ123

But in your heart of hearts you're taking the news that you will FINALLY be able to create a universal app for windows 10 and xbox one as a sign that they are done with xbox? This is what they've been moving towards since they announced the idea years ago. It's good business sense for both windows and xbox.

I take it as they are integrating Xbox into a Windows device just like Surface & not being limited to a closed box when they create software for it.

onQ123

Eventually they may get to that. However I think they will always have a reference design to at least drive the OEMs to innovate. Look at how much they improved their hybrid offerings since Surface entered the market.

Yes I think Xbox will continue to be their brand of Set Top Boxes just like Surface is their brand of Windows tablets.

MS is looking at the bigger picture & that is where all these companies are getting to the living room TV with their own store front like AppleTV , FireTV & so on then you have other companies making Android TV boxes & even embedding it into the TV so they have to react & get Windows Store connected to as many TVs as possible & also make people want it in their devices also that's what Kinect was for but it didn't workout as planned.

Say you are looking to get a multimedia device like a AppleTV or FireTV to hook up to your TV & you see a Windows 10 STB that's able to do all of the media stuff & play console level games that's being made for all Windows 10 devices? you would probably go for that STB over the other devices.

im not trolling anyone but MS at this point is just throwing random things into people´s eyes wich are not true. They keep saying the same thing every single year.

First Windows Store is small and bad and nobody here really thinks otherwise and tbh Google Play is like xtimes bigger than them aswell Apple Store, those are just FACTS.

Another Fact is that Steam is much bigger than Xbox Live and PSN is also much much bigger and with Ps4 sales is just going to get bigger.

So DEVS should be targeting Ps4, Steam, Apple Store or Google Play, NOT Windows Store if they want the biggest piece of the market.

Please tell me how i am wrong or trolling.

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-play-store-vs-the-apple-app-store-601836/

That's why Ms is practically giving win10 away. Right now there's already more than 200 million users with the win store installed. It's easy to see how if they keep improving it and adding content soon it will have a multi million user base purchasing content. Heck, even in it's current state they said windows users spent 4.5 times more on store purchases in 2015 compared to 2014.

Edit: What do you guys think of that?

http://www.windowscentral.com/pc-gaming-universal-windows-platform-premature-not-evil

Along with an outlook of the situation they speculate where Ms will go next. They think Ms will use Project Centennial and keyboard+mouse support on xbone to try bringing the entire legacy of games to xbox.

I would love that, though if they somehow had an steam controller like could be better.

Moonstone

http://www.windowscentral.com/pc-gaming-universal-windows-platform-premature-not-evil

Along with an outlook of the situation they speculate where Ms will go next. They think Ms will use Project Centennial and keyboard+mouse support on xbone to try bringing the entire legacy of games to xbox.

I would love that, though if they somehow had an steam controller like could be better.

It is an evangelist article that wants you sell an utopian vision.

The article is full of shit and has so many wrongs. And it is taking jabs at others (sourceforge.net - what a "great" comparison), while on the other hand we have to give MS the benefit of a doubt, because there "ultimate" apps will save mankind and some exec tweeted that they are open and the future will be nice.

I'm not against MS, but as a consumer I don't care about tweets or a vision. And I don't care if Nadella or Tim Cook want me to love their OS. I have zero relations to them.

If they provide a good product I will use it. Simple as that. Stop that evangelist crap.

UWPs are not bad per se. Make them work and I'll join. But don't sell me a effin' religion.

People really need to give up on thinking about this. It's just not going to happen. Subscription fees are not the issue with the Xbox one and never have been. The fact that the 360 sold so well whilst being the only console that had online sub fees tells you all you need to know.

Also, Microsoft will no longer see things in terms of traditional "console generations". It's all about expanding the Xbox ecosystem whilst growing and retaining a userbase from here on out.

The status quo for Xbox has changed since the 360. Xbox Live was above and beyond what the PSN offered and Microsoft had an almost full generation headstart in online infrastructure. Now, PSN has begun closing the gap in terms of features and Xbox is being decimated in terms of sales. The Xbox One is more akin to the PS3 this generation than the 360 and giving away PSN for free certainly didn't hurt Sony's image. (I have my fair share of friends who converted to Playstation when they grew tired of XBL fees.)

I'm not saying Microsoft NEEDS to do this or even that they will. I was just simply saying, "Wouldn't it be cool?" Because, let's be honest, a week ago I would have done a spit take if I was told Microsoft was going to double back on their XBL walled garden policy and initiate talks with Sony about cross-platform play.

Rembrandt

Banned
Yes I think Xbox will continue to be their brand of Set Top Boxes just like Surface is their brand of Windows tablets.

MS is looking at the bigger picture & that is where all these companies are getting to the living room TV with their own store front like AppleTV , FireTV & so on then you have other companies making Android TV boxes & even embedding it into the TV so they have to react & get Windows Store connected to as many TVs as possible & also make people want it in their devices also that's what Kinect was for but it didn't workout as planned.

Say you are looking to get a multimedia device like a AppleTV or FireTV to hook up to your TV & you see a Windows 10 STB that's able to do all of the media stuff & play console level games that's being made for all Windows 10 devices? you would probably go for that STB over the other devices.

why call it a set-top box and not a console?

Kezen

Banned
Can someone tell me what "merging" the Xbox and Windows store actually mean ? Does that mean that you will be able to buy any software there and play it where you want ?

Zedox

Can someone tell me what "merging" the Xbox and Windows store actually mean ? Does that mean that you will be able to buy any software there and play it where you want ?

The merging of the stores mean that Microsoft will only have 1 store all any application that goes through it for any device and have the ability to buy once and have it where you want. The "ability" is there because a developer has the choice to have cross-buy or not.

The stores haven't merged yet (that's one of the reasons why you only get a code for the w10 version of Quantum Break instead of just owning it) but they will this year.

A developer could make a phone/pc cross buy but have the xbox version a paid version or any combination that they want. You will be able to buy your games from the Windows 10 store app and not have to go to the website. The same can be said for the Xbox One. You can buy apps from on your xbox and it will be available on your phone/pc (granted they haven't shown how that will work or if it will only be xbox apps on your system or if you could get to others, as you can on PC).

Kezen

Banned
The merging of the stores mean that Microsoft will only have 1 store all any application that goes through it for any device and have the ability to buy once and have it where you want. The "ability" is there because a developer has the choice to have cross-buy or not.

The stores haven't merged yet (that's one of the reasons why you only get a code for the w10 version of Quantum Break instead of just owning it) but they will this year.

A developer could make a phone/pc cross buy but have the xbox version a paid version or any combination that they want. You will be able to buy your games from the Windows 10 store app and not have to go to the website. The same can be said for the Xbox One. You can buy apps from on your xbox and it will be available on your phone/pc (granted they haven't shown how that will work or if it will only be xbox apps on your system or if you could get to others, as you can on PC).

Thanks for this explanation.

Top Bottom