• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Shares Vision for the Future of Windows and Xbox One Game Development

gamz

im not trolling anyone but MS at this point is just throwing random things into people´s eyes wich are not true. They keep saying the same thing every single year.

First Windows Store is small and bad and nobody here really thinks otherwise and tbh Google Play is like xtimes bigger than them aswell Apple Store, those are just FACTS.

Another Fact is that Steam is much bigger than Xbox Live and PSN is also much much bigger and with Ps4 sales is just going to get bigger.

So DEVS should be targeting Ps4, Steam, Apple Store or Google Play, NOT Windows Store if they want the biggest piece of the market.

Please tell me how i am wrong or trolling.

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-play-store-vs-the-apple-app-store-601836/

Everything they said the past couple of years have come true. Windows 10 convergence is here. Finally. Everything else falls into place and it's just a matter of time. You randomly saying something doesn't make it true and with no proof it's shitty posting.

Akronis

Every store is breh.

More akin to a phone app store than Steam though. If you search for VLC, there are $5 manuals on how to download and install VLC Media Player. Multiple versions of that of varying prices. It's a fucking mess.

Kezen

Banned
im not trolling anyone but MS at this point is just throwing random things into people´s eyes wich are not true. They keep saying the same thing every single year.

First Windows Store is small and bad and nobody here really thinks otherwise and tbh Google Play is like xtimes bigger than them aswell Apple Store, those are just FACTS.

Another Fact is that Steam is much bigger than Xbox Live and PSN is also much much bigger and with Ps4 sales is just going to get bigger.

So DEVS should be targeting Ps4, Steam, Apple Store or Google Play, NOT Windows Store if they want the biggest piece of the market.

Please tell me how i am wrong or trolling.

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-play-store-vs-the-apple-app-store-601836/

Microsoft's expansion is a long-term plan. If they bring AAA games to the store it could become a more serious option for third parties.

gamz

More akin to a phone app store than Steam though. If you search for VLC, there are $5 manuals on how to download and install VLC Media Player. Multiple versions of that of varying prices. It's a fucking mess.

Sorry, I disagree. I've been using the store for years (when I had WP) and I use it with Windows 10 quite a bit,and it's fine. Is it perfect and could it use fine tuning? Sure. But it's not the disaster you say it is. At least that's not my opinion of it.

Now Android was a cluster fuck, but it's gotten better the past couple of years. Still not Apple level, but then again nobody is. Yet.

viHuGi

Banned
Everything they said the past couple of years have come true. Windows 10 convergence is here. Finally. Everything else falls into place and it's just a matter of time. You randomly saying something doesn't make it true and with no proof it's shitty posting.

Prove me wrong that Windows Store is the biggest ecosystem or whatever then which was what MS said in those statements or am i reading it wrong?

"◦Enable partners to target the largest gaming ecosystem in the industry."

i dont like or trust them and they need to prove me wrong in the next years, lets wait and see.

cakely

This thread has really devolved into fanboy wars.

Okay dude you are welcome to your conspiracies and stupid opinions

But there is no malware in the windows store...you must have it confused with android

The Windows 10 store is serious business. Keep it civil, guys.

mcrommert

Banned

Absolutely not true anymore...they cleaned up a lot of that on the store...if you search for vlc you only get the real vlc app now

EDIT: For example here is the search for media player...all real apps not spam or trick apps
4XdMxd3.png

Akronis

Sorry, I disagree. I've been using the store for years (when I had WP) and I use it with Windows 10 quite a bit,and it's fine. Is it perfect and could it use fine tuning? Sure. But it's not the disaster you say it is. At least that's not my opinion of it.

Now Android was a cluster fuck, but it's gotten better the past couple of years. Still not Apple level, but then again nobody is. Yet.

That's fine that you disagree, but your comparisons to the Apple App Store and Google Play Store are the reason I don't want it.

I don't want a mobile phone storefront on my PC. It's ripe for abuse. Microsoft hasn't proven to anyone that they can control it.

Absolutely not true anymore...they cleaned up a lot of that on the store...if you search for vlc you only get the real vlc app now

I just took this screenshot after searching VLC 30 seconds ago. Please explain why there are $3 manuals for downloading and installing VLC Media Player. This is shit I'd expect on a mobile phone app store.

iahAQ7i.png

gamz

Prove me wrong that Windows Store is the biggest ecosystem or whatever then which was what MS said in those statements or am i reading it wrong?

i dont like or trust them and they need to prove me wrong in the next years, lets wait and see.

With everything in those bullet points you are hung up on this? It depends how you define it. Of course it's mostly marketing. That's what companies do. Xbox Live will be on every single Windows 10 machine built in and that's probably gonna be close to a billion people. So that is a big eco system. Companies word shit all the time to make it sound amazing.

gamz

That's fine that you disagree, but your comparisons to the Apple App Store and Google Play Store are the reason I don't want it.

I don't want a mobile phone storefront on my PC. It's ripe for abuse. Microsoft hasn't proven to anyone that they can control it.

Then don't use it. Nobody is forcing you. I actually have had no problems and I like it.

Choices my man.

mcrommert

Banned

I just took this screenshot after searching VLC 30 seconds ago. Please explain why there are $3 manuals for downloading and installing VLC Media Player. This is shit I'd expect on a mobile phone app store.

iahAQ7i.png

Yeah that isn't windows 10...search has changed a lot in the new version

Also none of those apps are abusive...they all say "vlc guide". The dev can choose to ask however much they want to. I don't see your point.

Also its time to upgrade

Akronis

Then don't use it. Nobody is forcing you. I actually have had no problems and I like it.

Choices my man.

The problem is Microsoft owns the OS and the storefront. If they really wanted to, they could lock EVERYONE that uses Windows to their shitty Store.

There's an enormous risk for abuse on Microsoft's part here. Unfortunately gaming on Unix hasn't taken off yet so there aren't many alternatives :/

Yeah that isn't windows 10...search has changed a lot in the new version

Also none of those apps are abusive...they all say "vlc guide". The dev can choose to ask however much they want to. I don't see your point.

Also its time to upgrade

With apps like that on the store, there is a potential for abuse. It's crapware. It's shit I see on sites like Softpedia and Download.com. And it's tied to my OS.

And no, I'm quite content with 8.1 seeing as there are still driver issues and some game issues with Win 10. I don't need to upgrade my OS to stay on top of shit when mine currently works just fine.

Continue to defend Microsoft's lack of QC though, please.

viHuGi

Banned
With everything in those bullet points you are hung up on this? It depends how you define it. Of course it's mostly marketing. That's what companies do. Xbox Live will be on every single Windows 10 machine built in and that's probably gonna be close to a billion people. So that is a big eco system. Companies word shit all the time to make it sound amazing.

i still dont like companies faking things, no matter who does it.

i rather they keep it real and let their work to all the talk.

Helznicht

Complaints of the Win Store are surely valid, but, as we are a gaming forum, should we not be looking at the store AFTER clicking on the games tab?

Trup1aya

What they are saying is that the UWP API can be used to target multiple platforms and multiple store fronts. So they are advertising it as a way to target a massive chunks of the market all at once.

With regards to the size of the Win10 store ecosystem, the store is preloaded on every new Windows device. There are over 200million users running win10 PCs as we speak. They are highlighting the size of their installed base because the chance to reach that many customers would be an attractive proposition.

speedomodel

iahAQ7i.png

Because some people may actually want to know that information?

I think Xbox will still exist, not everybody wants to play on PC so Microsoft will still release the Xbox for those who just want a preassembled gaming machine with average performance, and they'll release new models more often like every 2 or 3 years

Pretty much this.

I do think there is still great potential for a console that delivers a wide array of experiences, from gaming to communication to media steaming. The living room is still a perfect hub for such a device.

While PCs are more flexible and will most certainly always be the source of new innovations, the mass market will still crave a plug and play device that does this within a walled garden of dependable apps.

My wife loves Dragon Ag and streaming Netflix. Without a plug and play box, she never does either of these, ever. She has zero desire to sit in front of a computer, and I have zero desire to hook a PC up to my TV and teach her how to take advantage of its flexibility.

In fact, I have many friends and family members that this applies to. I think the XB1 generally failed to be the device for the mass market, but Microsoft craves to be the middle man for all of this tech. We also rent and buy movies and TV shows from Microsoft.

I still maintain that this really is a way to suck PC users over to the convenience of a media box. And for as poor of a job that Microsoft has done so far, Windows positions them to still market to a broad spectrum of users. They are certainly farther along than Steam. And while Sony is winning the war of game consoles, Microsoft is probably still better positioned to be the hub of a broad spectrum of users.

I think they need to release a full featured DVR that won't be able to play most games, but can deliver a better gaming experience than Apple TV, which is doing the same thing. Instead of a Windows Media Player, just be the DVR everyone wants when they cut the cord. They beat Apple by including a DVR, and they beat Sony by still making money off of non-gamers.

Then let the XB1 be the flagship device that also delivers gaming on par with PCs, but still be the plug and play experience that the masses tend to prefer.

Microsoft's expansion is a long-term plan. If they bring AAA games to the store it could become a more serious option for third parties.

Highlllly doubtful that this'll happen. There is just no reason to. Major 3rd parties have outlets to reach consumers. Steam, Origin, UPlay, GoG, w/e - all outlets with extremely large user bases, all support selling Win32 versions of their games. The only outlier here, Windows Store, requires you to create a different version of your game that requires a bit of extra work.

What MS wants to do is take their console userbase, and make them seem like Windows Store users, so that they can sell the illusion of having a traveled marketplace in an effort to court the real developers they need for the Windows Store - app software developers, who currently do not target Windows Store & W10, preferring iOS & Android by default.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Because some people may actually want to know that information?

I assume the issue is charging someone for free info. Or free info thats easily available.

Kind of like eBay info auctions or those last night infomercials where ppl sell information thats available for free. One big example is buying houses dirt cheap. Most of that info is free from your local state tax office: Foreclosures or Tax Sale auctions. Or just knowing what the word Foreclosure means and going thru a real estate agency.

Better for the end user in terms of system stability...some publishers might prefer it ...some features might require it going on (multi plane overlays)

No publisher would prefer it. Its not a convenient build to make at all. It goes against the currently implemented development pipeline most publishers have in place at their dev houses. There are no features it offers, especially in terms of stability, that PC devs don't get elsewhere without giving up the things UWPs require you to do.

Banned
Sounds like windows 10 gaming won't have the basic features I want (disabling vsync, Gsync, etc) until the fall most likely. Meh, I can wait.

jaypah

i dont like or trust them.

Love the honesty 💕

MS has a long way to go before the store is considered worthy. Not to mention PC gamers aren't too hot on their current restrictions. But if they really want this to work and they start by listening to feedback and adjusting accordingly while also putting their 1st party content up then I might buy a few games. Right now outside of their 1st part stuff I just don't have a reason to visit their store over the other options.

There is no fucking way, even with the most ridiculous haphazard reinterpretation methods they have afforded themselves (including 360 & X1 users as Windows Store users, including all W10 users as Windows Store users), are they able to say that they are a larger gaming ecosystem than Steam. Thats just a flat out lie, and they deserve to be called out on it.

xblarcade

There is no fucking way, even with the most ridiculous haphazard reinterpretation methods they have afforded themselves (including 360 & X1 users as Windows Store users, including all W10 users as Windows Store users), are they able to say that they are a larger gaming ecosystem than Steam. Thats just a flat out lie, and they deserve to be called out on it.

Agree that it takes some mental mathmatics to include everyone, but I don't think it's hard to believe that

All Win10 users + All Win 8 users + all X1 Users + all 360 users > All Users who have Steam Installed

Helznicht

Pretty much this.

I still maintain that this really is a way to suck PC users over to the convenience of a media box.

And its a way to get console players to PC.
And its a way to get tablet/surface players to console.
And its a way to get phone players to PC.

Its to get people to play however and where ever they prefer to play. Thats been the story from the beginning.

Agree that it takes some mental mathmatics to include everyone, but I don't think it's hard to believe that

All Win10 users + All Win 8 users + all X1 Users + all 360 users > All Users who have Steam Installed

But the vast majority of those Win8/Win10 users aren't gaming, and shouldn't be included when trying to discuss the reach of your gaming landscape. Thats supremely dishonest.

Shylock

But the vast majority of those Win8/Win10 users aren't gaming, and shouldn't be included when trying to discuss the reach of your gaming landscape. Thats supremely dishonest.

Who develops the OS most PC gamers use? I'm not a huge fan of Microsoft, but its not much of a stretch that they consider "Windows" their ecosystem. In that mode of thinking, most Steam users could be included in that count. :D

jelly

It should be more like a Steam hardware survey and what users are actually doing.

Who develops the OS most PC gamers use? I'm not a huge fan of Microsoft, but its not much of a stretch that they consider "Windows" their ecosystem. In that mode of thinking, most Steam users could be included in that count. :D

Absolutely, no question about that. But they are making this claim when trying to discuss the reach of their actual store, a store that is intended to be an app store really. This is mental gymnastics.

mcrommert

Banned
Win 10 Store VLC search for comparison.

The store has improved to a passable state. MS needs to do better still if they really want it to take off.

No doubt...the store is not what you would call good right now.. My understanding from leaks and so forth is that when they united the stores for Redstone, they will be doing the big change in design and function. This is why the store has looked the same on win 10 since first beta with no changes other than perf

Does this mean they are getting out of the console business?

I don't understand much from the OP. I dont understand this Windows initiative, and what the advantage/point of it is. I thought developers always had the choice to develop games for PC, or console.

kiguel182

Discoverability is a big deal. Platform holders should protect devs and consumers by having some standards. I think everybody agrees with that to some degree or another.

I've never said anything about discoverability.

Pushing titles that you are more likely to be interested, have better reviews etc etc are all fundamental. I don't think that goes against what I said. I think every game should be given a chance instead of a platform holder putting up a big barrage saying "you can't come in" right up front.

onQ123

Does this mean they are getting out of the console business?

I don't understand much from the OP. I dont understand this Windows initiative, and what the advantage/point of it is. I thought developers always had the choice to develop games for PC, or console.

It means that they don't have to make a special box that's just for Xbox.

It wouldn't really matter if it's Dell or Microsoft making a Windows 10 Multimedia computer for your TV just like it don't really matter if it's Dell or Microsoft making a Windows 10 tablet.

You can get the one that you like.

i still dont like companies faking things, no matter who does it.

i rather they keep it real and let their work to all the talk.

You both really need to try and untwist your knickers, I think the lack of blood circulation is affecting your ability to think rationally and results in these angry (over nothing) posts.

see5harp

It means that they don't have to make a special box that's just for Xbox.

It wouldn't really matter if it's Dell or Microsoft making a Windows 10 Multimedia computer for your TV just like it don't really matter if it's Dell or Microsoft making a Windows 10 tablet.

You can get the one that you like.

So are they getting out of the console business?

Trup1aya

It's not dishonest at all. There's no telling how many people will choose to use their PC to play a game at some point. Whether it be Words with Friends or World of Warcraft.

There's no telling what a how a particular user will use any platform. But the more users on the platform, they more likely a dev is to find an audience. Are you suggesting that developers (the people who this message is targeted to) are being confused by this comment?

Kezen

Banned
According to a Forbes contributor Gears 4 is coming to PC, maybe this is part of the next wave of UWP games to hit the store.
alongside many more in currently active development.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/03/17/its-time-for-microsoft-to-bring-all-the-halo-games-to-pc/#17c581736162
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/03/15/gears-of-war-4-multiplayer-beta-coming-this-april/#1bb63af3a46f

The writer is mistaken though, PC version has not been confirmed, only teased.

Top Bottom