• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft shutting down Xbox Entertainment Studios (TV studio, 200 employees)

Guevara

Microsoft will shut down the Xbox Entertainment Studios, ending an ambitious foray into original video programming.

The Santa Monica studio, with its estimated 200 employees, will be shuttered as Microsoft focuses on strengthening its core videogame business. The move is part of Microsoft’s company-wide restructuring announced on Thursday morning, which will see the elimination of up to 18,000 jobs in the next 12 months.

Chief Executive Satya Nadella signaled the change in a lengthy memo to Microsoft staff that expressed support for the Xbox and its importance to the company — but omitted any reference to original television programming.

“The single biggest digital life category, measured in both time and money spent, in a mobile-first world is gaming,” Nadella wrote a week ago. “We are fortunate to have Xbox in our family to go after this opportunity with unique and bold innovation. Microsoft will continue to vigorously innovate and delight gamers with Xbox.”

Absent was any mention of Xbox Entertainment Studios, a division it created when it hired longtime CBS entertainment president Nancy Tellem in September 2012. Her mandate at the time was to make entertainment content that could only be found on the Xbox Live online platform.

Xbox Entertainment Studios fit with Microsoft’s plan to dominate the living room through its game console. But the unit has struggled to deliver on its promise.

Sources paint a picture of a disorganized studio that struggled to close deals and lacked a fully fleshed-out business model.
Notably, this shut-down was not mentioned in Nadella's memo

Studio will wind down, Halo TV series will continue development

http://recode.net/2014/07/17/microsoft-to-shut-down-xbox-entertainment-studios/

TrueGrime

It sucks but it's a good business decision if there was a lot of trouble in closing on deals. I really honestly haven't heard of any original programming since the Ryse stuff.

B.O.O.M

"Sources paint a picture of a disorganized studio that struggled to close deals and lacked a fully fleshed-out business model."

damn, that's too bad.

They spent a good chunk of time talking about this too..I was actually looking forward to what would come out of it.

Next stop, Rare, and then sell it to where it belongs....

If only, but I don't think even Nintendo could save them. The only reason I'd want them back with Nintendo is so Nintendo could give Banjo to a competent dev.

Really sucks for those loosing a job, but I don't blame MS. The whole venture had failure written all over it.

Sources paint a picture of a disorganized studio that struggled to close deals and lacked a fully fleshed-out business model.

Not surprising at all.

Its crazy how nearly everything about the XB1 has changed since its initial reveal.

mcrommert

Banned
For all those who don't think Microsoft is serious about the xbox one being focused on gaming....This is your best evidence

Kaydan

Banned
So the focus on gaming that we saw at e3 wasn't just a flash in the pan I guess. Its a company wide turnaround. Things could get interesting at Microsoft.

RE_Player

Sorry to those who lost their jobs but I'm glad they aren't chasing after dumb original programming ventures. Microsoft learned the hard way that games sell gaming systems.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
What games or services are they responsible for?
I think they're the TV TV TV division. They we're the ones in charge of securing deals for original tv shows on Xbox Live. I think they also handled the interactive programming on XBL, like the presidential election debates with the polls.

Nairume

Banned
Well that sucks for the Deadlands guys if they are hit by it. I know people at Pinnacle and they were super excited for it getting picked up to be developed into a show :(

BD1

Banned
Continuing the roll back of Mattrick's disastrous Xbox One vision. A good thing.

Edit: Well, its not good that people are losing their jobs of course.

wrowa

Will they get shut-down immediately or are the announced series still going to happen? Crazy. They've been betting so big on original TV content just a year ago.

Harlock

This was a stupid idea all along. Xbox is about games, doing tv series is a lot expensive and another skill/business model.

Arc

So much for the next watercooler.

I hope all affected land on their feet, this is quite the transition period for Microsoft.

Camp Lo

Banned
which will see the elimination of up to 18,000 jobs in the next 12 months.

2an4d.png

Top Bottom