• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft slams "irresponsible article" and talks about Backwards Compatibility

shpankey

not an idiot
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6152/Xbox-2-Backward-Compatibility-Rumors-Debunked

“Recent stories in the press about future Xbox products are nothing more than pulp fiction. Microsoft hasn’t made any announcements regarding the next generation, so it’s far too early to speculate about specifics, including backward compatibility. In fact, this media conjecture is irresponsible. The credibility of any publication willing to compromise fact in favor of a catchy headline must be questioned. Xbox fans are smart enough to distinguish truth from sensational reporting.”

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
"Microsoft hasn’t made any announcements regarding the next generation, so it’s far too early to speculate about specifics, including backward compatibility." -- from the "official statement from Microsoft"

That sounds more like a weak attempt at controlling damage... if backwards compatibility were still possible, MS would simply say it would be included. It's really unlikely that it would be included at this point... but MS doesn't want potential game and system buyers to hold off on purchasing games because the next system might 1) launch sometime soon, and 2) be incapable of playing the games just purchased.

Whether or not MS needs backwards compatibility (I don't think it would really help them to have it), it does look bad if their new system won't have it as a feature.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
BeOnEdge said:
what damage? the damage amongst messege board dorks?

Scene: A game store near you, sometime in the near future.

GuyWithCash: Hey there! I'd like to buy one of them there game systems... I heard that there Xbox is good!

AnnoyingClerk: Yep.

GuyWithCash: I heard the PS3 is coming out sometime soon, though. Maybe I should wait...

AnnoyingClerk: Well, if you buy a PS2 game right now, it will work on the PS3.

GuyWithCash: Oh! What about this Xbox Random-Character-Battle-With-Stumps game? Will it work on the new system?

AnnoyingClerk: No, that's an Xbox game. It will only work on the Xbox.

GuyWithCash: Is there going to be a new Xbox?

AnnoyingClerk: Yes, but it won't play the old Xbox games.

GuyWithCash: Oh... okay, what Bashing-Characters-With-Body-Parts games do you have for the PS2?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Comcal scene DavidDayton but I have seen that played out in person.

Buy a game for Dreamcast? What's the point when you can purchase the same game for Playstation and still keep playing it on the PS2 when it launches!

rastex

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Do you see Nintendo crying about going Third Party?
Why else would Iwata claim the "day Nintendo stops making hardware is the day they go out of the game business"? Because news reports questioned Nintendo's survival in the hardware market, you don't hear Kutagari making those types of comments because nobody questions it.

Deku Tree

This press release indicates to me that MS is very worried about losing current customers and losing momentum with xbox and Halo 2.

If word got around (I mean really got out) that MS was releasing a new console in 2005 that doesn't play xbox games, alot of people would think twice about buying an xbox this xmas or buying new xbox games IMO.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
MS didn't say the Xbox2 will be backwards compatible. The warning sirens shoul dbe going off, people.

Not made a decision my ass.

retardboy

I bet you it's still not going to be backwards compatible. They just didn't want people to print it. It's a smart move anyways. Nobody cares about backwards compatability. (I'm going to get slammed for saying that, but I don't care)

retardboy said:
I bet you it's still not going to be backwards compatible. They just didn't want people to print it. It's a smart move anyways. Nobody cares about backwards compatability. (I'm going to get slammed for saying that, but I don't care)

80% of Backwards compatability is PR. Buyers want to know their purchase isn't going to be outdated almost immediately. Even if they're never going to play it again. It's a wonderful selling point and no amount of arguing is going to change that.

By the same token, alot of people, me included still play PSone games on my PS2 and it is a very, very nice feature to have. It wouldn't affect my purchase but it is a positive attribute, and therefore accordingly, it's a negative attribute not to have it.

Also, isn't it funny that the two most successful lines Playstation / Gameboy both have backwards compatability? There are a whole host of reasons of course, but there is something to be said for it.

Why did Allard make the statement that he felt that people would be playing Halo 2 online for the next 10 years? Could just be hyperbole...or it could mean that BC is indeed a (optional) feature....or, likely, both.

Deku Tree

MightyHedgehog said:
Why did Allard make the statement that he felt that people would be playing Halo 2 online for the next 10 years? Could just be hyperbole...or it could mean that BC is indeed a (optional) feature....or, likely, both.

Allard said alot of other things in that interview which seemed to indicate that MS was leaning away from BC.

MightyHedgehog said:

Maybe to hype up Halo 2 as the greatest game of all time?

Nah, that's too simplistic. He clearly was insinuating backwards compatability and the fact that Halo would continue to be the greatest game for the next decade.

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:
80% of Backwards compatability is PR. Buyers want to know their purchase isn't going to be outdated almost immediately. Even if they're never going to play it again. It's a wonderful selling point and no amount of arguing is going to change that.

By the same token, alot of people, me included still play PSone games on my PS2 and it is a very, very nice feature to have. It wouldn't affect my purchase but it is a positive attribute, and therefore accordingly, it's a negative attribute not to have it.

Also, isn't it funny that the two most successful lines Playstation / Gameboy both have backwards compatability? There are a whole host of reasons of course, but there is something to be said for it.

Agreed. I think this is especially pertinant with games like Halo 2 coming out this fall - if that title's multiplayer is anything as successful as the first there are going to be a lot of people, myself included, who won't be too eager to park another system under the TV when the previous iteration is still used daily.

As a side note, even Sega's only successful system, the Genesis, had backward compatability, of a sort. It may not have won the masses, but it did help to convert their existing (albeit small) fanbase to the new generation.

I think more than anything it is a tool for smoothing the transition from one generation to the next, which can be critical for developing market momentum.

Publishers think any article not written with their consent and with their supplied materials is irresponsible journalism. I'm glad that investigative reports are thriving in this industry.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
speculative != investigative

investigative would be if they actually had sources giving them legit info on Xbox 2 whereas what has actually happened is they've read snippets of unconfirmed info from random statements from MS PR and filled in the blanks with their 'common sense'.

MS arent saying it isnt true, they are just saying that the article is a piece of trash, which it is.

It wouldnt be so bad if they didnt try to pass everything they say off as fact, a few "in our opinion"'s or "We assume"'s would lessen my revoltion towards this kind of internet journalism.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
neptunes said:
that's twice they've denied it.

Perhaps you could point out the actual denial in that quote from Microsoft, because I missed it. Too much time spent actually reading what politicians and PR people say will do that to you. ;)

At the end of the day I still think the odds are against backwards compatibility for XBox 2, and I agree with Microsoft that it will have an incredibly marginal effect and that their time is better spent getting other things right.

shpankey

not an idiot
Jonnyboy117 said:
Publishers think any article not written with their consent and with their supplied materials is irresponsible journalism. I'm glad that investigative reports are thriving in this industry.

Good Lord, some people ^^^ are so gullibile. Anyone can "make shit up" and report it, and idiots like this will eat it up.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
shpankey said:
Good Lord, some people ^^^ are so gullibile. Anyone can "make shit up" and report it, and idiots like this will eat it up.

lord I miss the rolleyes smiley.... Neither you nor he knows whether the article is true or not... and in this day and age anyone who simply goes by a company denial before said product is demo'd and/or released... needs to catch up with the times.

DSN2K

only reason microsoft have even commented is because of the bad responce, hell they started the rumours a few months back.

Ranger X

Backward compatibility is courtesy. I think they should seriously think about doing it.
For those who played their Xbox alot and it's rushing, for people who play again their older games, to give another chance to benefit from the previous console's userbase or again someone like me who doesn't have an Xbox and may buy an Xbox2 and then also benefit from the good games of the first Xbox (and guess what? There ALOT of people in my situation). This function is not vital but it is indeed important somewhere. I guess it will become a new trend in the industry anyway and everybody will follow the backward compatibility idea.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
CrimsonSkies said:
They pretty much say that until they announce then it's just BS. Yet some just refuse to accept that ;).

(if this turned out to be true)Would this be the first time a piece of video game industry news made it out before the developer/publisher/hardware manufacturer was ready to talk about it?

(if ithis turns out to not be true)Would this be the first time a piece of video game industry "news" turned out to be false?

Geez people.

Gattsu25

Banned
BC wont determine if I buy it or not (I will) but after the performance of the XBox this generation, it will affect if I buy it at launch or ~ a year later

and yeah, I remember reading an old interview with J.Allard where he downplayed BC heavily and gave me the impression that he was doing major pre-emptive damage control

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
DarienA said:
Neither you nor he knows whether the article is true or not... and in this day and age anyone who simply goes by a company denial before said product is demo'd and/or released... needs to catch up with the times.

more like niether you, nor i nor the person who wrote it knows if the article is true or not.

You are confusing reputable journalism with the internet, if something appears in a paper and it gets an immeadiate denial then you have to think, because an accusation cant just be published without some kinds of facts to back it up, on the internet people write whatever the fuck they want with no fear of getting found out for the frauds they are. This is Gamesindustry.biz they've been called up on posting crap before, its time people realised they are just Sp0ng2.

shpankey

not an idiot
DarienA said:
lord I miss the rolleyes smiley.... Neither you nor he knows whether the article is true or not... and in this day and age anyone who simply goes by a company denial before said product is demo'd and/or released... needs to catch up with the times.

I'm not the one praising "investigative reporting" as if they uncovered some super secret mistory and believing it with all my heart.

And yeah, the rolleyes would've come in handy in here.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I think BC will matter more next gen as well, because the games now are a crap load better. I would never play a PS1 game on a PS2 simply because they look vomit now, I don't think the jump will be as huge this time though.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
As I said when this was posted in the other thread:

It's not "conjecture" when the quotes and sources come from anonymous MS employees, as well as interviews with people like Allard himself, where he really downplays BC and insinuates that it's not a route MS is interested in taking. Christ, they make it sound like the headlines are just being pulled from nowhere.

That response is actually a little touchy, especially for a standard "responding to rumors" PR statement. I wonder if someone hit a nerve.

Fusebox

Banned
Who knows if its true or false?

All I know is that it made some guy call 'sonycowboy' flip out and explode and that makes it all worthwhile. :D

GhaleonEB

explodet said:
I'm still wondering HOW backwards compatability will be implemented if they choose to do it.

It would have to be emulated. Doable if the next system is uber-powerful, but certainly harder than if they were using the same hardware partners.

Tenguman

Hrm, someone should save these BC threads for next year when we find out whether or not MS will have BC

be good for a laugh :D

Top Bottom