• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft slams "irresponsible article" and talks about Backwards Compatibility

Gattsu25

Banned
thought this was of interest:

Are you looking at backwards compatibility for Xbox 2?

Allard: Of course we look at it. What most gamers tell you though that what they want is new experience. Sony will trump that up as a huge feature. That's not why Sony won this generation at all. Let's be clear, the reason that they got off to such a good start was they played DVD movies and it was cheaper than any DVD player in Japan.

That's how they sold the first million units. It wasn't even the games, and the fact that they weren't contested - there was no competition for 18 months. It gave them a great headstart.

It wasn't backwards compatibility. The one thing that it gave Sony in the early stages was that it gave them a library. They had had really crappy games for the first six months, or twelve months, as people were trying to grapple with the hardware. There was really nothing worth playing.

So, like we did with Xbox one, we're going to focus on a killer launch line-up, and I think we'll have an ever better line-up for the next-gen than we did this time. If you have that, then what do you want to play?

Would backwards-compatibility add a lot of expense to the unit cost?

Allard: Well, if nothing else, it incurs complexity, complexity and focus. And do I want to make a huge compromise there? Not if I don't have to. You've got to do what gamers want, and if they say that that's really important, we'll do it. Like DVD movie playback; that's important, we've got to do it. I don't like the fact that I've got to spend money to do it and I have to devote resources to do it, but gamers have said that's an expectation for the console - do it.

They say it, we'll do it, but we're really going to make sure we ask the questions the right way, because it is a distraction for us and our early research suggests that it's not that important, but we'll see how it goes.

http://ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=976&highlight=allard+backward+compatability

Tenguman

^Yup. Allard taking so much time to write off BC is a telling sign that BC won't be around in Xbox-2

I think MS is just angry because they want to carefully orchestrate Xbox-2's launch, and having the idea of no-BC floating around in the press is not something they want out there this early.

davis

Also they could still make a deal with Nvidia to lessen costs of it over time. I mean Nvidia still wants to make money and Microsoft isn't someone you want to make an enemy of in the PC world. BC keep hope alive!

Gattsu25

Banned
that's why this whole thng is so funny to me, MS is pointing fingers at whoever started these rumors and you have old interviews with Allard basically starting them

shpankey

not an idiot
If they do add BC... one thing I would like to see is, 6x Full-Screen Anti-Aliasing and 16x Anisotropic Filtering for all old games by default.

AniHawk

I think BC becomes a factor when people have not played the prior system. I did not own a PSX at all from 1995-2002, so I bought a PS2 instead knowing I could catch up on some RPGs and other classics which had come out on the system. If there's someone who sees Revolution and Playstation 3 which have hundreds and thousands of games (respectively) already to play, and for cheaper prices, and look at the Xbox 2 which only has about 100 (which is still a LOT) games, it will seem inferior in its library, people will most likely go for the other ones. They get more bang for their buck that way, especially since this gen's games will be $20-$30.

iapetus said:
At the end of the day I still think the odds are against backwards compatibility for XBox 2, and I agree with Microsoft that it will have an incredibly marginal effect and that their time is better spent getting other things right.

I tend to agree with this.

I doubt the Xbox 2 will be backwards compatible. I also doubt it'll be that damaging to the system. The PS2 was the first system to offer it and I'd argue that BC was hardly the reason it was so successful. If it didn't have BC, it probably would have just as successful. It's a nice thing to have around with but hardly the reason to either buy or ignore a console, just like 4 controller ports or any other "extra".

I think people are overstating the significance. If BC is that important to you, just keep your old Xbox. If it's such a huge blow to you that the Xbox 2 won't have BC, by all means don't buy one. Many people will, regardless if it has BC or not, just like they'll buy the PS3 regardless if it has BC or not.

Gattsu25

Banned
maybe for you, Hellraizah...PSX games get more playtime from me than a certain console's games

recently, GBC games hav been in my SP more than GBA games

shpankey

not an idiot
Tenguman said:
^Yup. Allard taking so much time to write off BC is a telling sign that BC won't be around in Xbox-2

Gattsu25 said:
that's why this whole thng is so funny to me, MS is pointing fingers at whoever started these rumors and you have old interviews with Allard basically starting them

All Allard said in that is, he doesn't want to do BC *IF* he doesn't have to. He'd RATHER spend their time, money and effort in other areas. He also says, if people want it, they WILL do it.

I don't understand how all of you keep touting that as proof their will be no BC. If anything, that article suggest MS is just still trying to decide if they will do it or not (depending on the demand).

DJ Sl4m

Tenguman said:

I think MS is just angry because they want to carefully orchestrate Xbox-2's launch, and having the idea of no-BC floating around in the press is not something they want out there this early.

I think you're exactely right, it would be insane for them to approach it in any other manner if it didn't include BC. (which I personally don't believe it'll have either)

AniHawk

The Shadow said:
I tend to agree with this.

I doubt the Xbox 2 will be backwards compatible. I also doubt it'll be that damaging to the system. The PS2 was the first system to offer it

The Atari 7800 offered it first.

Fusebox

Banned
Hey you guys saying that Xbox is doomed without BC, soo, is this like your first console generation ever?

Gamers are so spoilt these days.:D

AniHawk said:
The Atari 7800 offered it first.

And look how much BC saved that system!

I forgot about the Sega Master System too. It had that card slot so it could be backward compatible with an earlier Sega system I've never heard off.

Regardless, I mean it was the first really breakway successful console that had backwards compatibility and now people act like it's the lifeblood for all future consoles. Poppycock.

Gattsu25

Banned
shpankey, i never said they wouldn't offer it, just thought i'd clear that up even though i know that was a broad comment (but it was in response to a statement of mine)

Gattsu25 said:
and yeah, I remember reading an old interview with J.Allard where he downplayed BC heavily and gave me the impression that he was doing major pre-emptive damage control

I did say that, however. :b

Hellraizah

Gattsu25 said:
maybe for you, Hellraizah...PSX games get more playtime from me than a certain console's games

recently, GBC games hav been in my SP more than GBA games

Well, I think I've used backward compatibility maybe........ one time, to play Metal Gear Solid before playing the sequel. By the time the Xbox 2 comes out, there will be still plenty of good Xbox games to play. By the time the Xbox 2 gets a really good library, playing Xbox will be essentially obsolete.

I don't understand why people care so much about this, when I buy a new console, I buy it to play new games, not the same old ones that I already have. If the Xbox 2 is backward compatible, great, more power to them, but if it's not, bleh, I don't care. The only thing that truly matters to me is Xbox Live.

AniHawk

The Shadow said:
And look how much BC saved that system!

I forgot about the Sega Master System too. It had that card slot so it could be backward compatible with an earlier Sega system I've never heard off.

Regardless, I mean it was the first really breakway successful console that had backwards compatibility and now people act like it's the lifeblood for all future consoles. Poppycock.

There was also the Genesis which let you play MS games. And the GBC played GB games.

Tenguman

Originally Posted by Fusebox
Hey you guys saying that Xbox is doomed without BC, soo, is this like your first console generation ever?

Gamers are so spoilt these days
DopeyFish said:
Coming from a deep fan of a system with a built hard-drive, network card, DVD-features, and custom-music library :D

i kid though :D

neptunes

xbox owners' don't sweat the small stuff.

aside from the gameboy line, nintendo have been putting up with this for a long time.

Gattsu25

Banned
The thing that matters to me is space

I don't have enough room to sit the PSX, PS2, XB, and GC by my TV, but thanks to the PS2's backward compatability I can still enjoy PSX and PS2 games all without having to search through my old boxes and finding the PSX, reconnecting everything and fitting the PSX between my other consoles

Backward Compatability for the XBox means I can play games from this and next gen, the lack of it means games from this gen for the vast majority of the time (only switching when I have an URGE which is often rare)

AniHawk said:
There was also the Genesis which let you play MS games. And the GBC played GB games.

The Genesis needed an adapter, so it doesn't really count unless you want to include adapters. If so, you might as well add the Game Gear as it was also capable of playing SMS games and the SNES, as there was a 3rd party NES adapter made for it.

Does the GBC really count as a true successor? Not to me. It was more of a slight upgrade than a real next gen portable. The GBA is much more of a real successor, if we're even going to bother including portables. I wasn't in my original post.

AniHawk

The Shadow said:
The Genesis needed an adapter, so it doesn't really count unless you want to include adapters. If so, you might as well add the Game Gear as it was also capable of playing SMS games and the SNES, as there was a 3rd party NES adapter made for it.

Does the GBC really count as a true successor? Not to me. It was more of a slight upgrade than a real next gen portable. The GBA is much more of a real successor, if we're even going to bother including portables. I wasn't in my original post.

Your original post read systems, not consoles. I just assumed you meant all sorts of gaming systems.

AniHawk said:
Your original post read systems, not consoles. I just assumed you meant all sorts of gaming systems.

Semantics. When I mean portables, I say portables. I've never heard anyone verbally refer to the GBA as a "system" anyway. Maybe on the box, but not when people are verbally describing it.

Me and my friends must be a rare breed though. We call them "systems" but I've had this conversation before on this forum, wherein someone thought I was speaking about all gaming platforms, not just consoles.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
AniHawk said:
I think BC becomes a factor when people have not played the prior system.

not with me.. i want BC so that i can get rid of this clunky console.. and continue playing my live games on the next xbox.

quadriplegicjon said:
not with me.. i want BC so that i can get rid of this clunky console.. and continue playing my live games on the next xbox.
Exactly. I have the opinion that Sony's set the new standard of what consumers expect with new hardware and that is BC. Nintendo's already mentioned their plans to have it in their next console and the PS2 was the first mainstream home console to incorporate the function as well. They have such a HUGE chunk of the market that majority of those consumers will logically have similar expectations with Sony's PS3. If the PS3 and the N5 all expect to have BC and the Xbox2 does not, this cannot look like anything other than a big flub on MS's part. I have the feeling MS is looking at their bottomline more than what consumers expect which might come back and bite them in the ass.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
No BC is not a dealbreaker for me, but it is the most surefire way of guaranteeing an early purchase of the Xb2.

MightyHedgehog said:
Why did Allard make the statement that he felt that people would be playing Halo 2 online for the next 10 years? Could just be hyperbole...or it could mean that BC is indeed a (optional) feature....or, likely, both.

Probably the same reason Iwata said the GC would sell 50 million units....

----

Banned
I think what was really irresponsible was the way Allard was yapping his mouth off about what is and isn't important for Xbox 2. If MS didn't want the negative articles written already about Xbox 2 then they shouldn't have had Allard doing interviews where he's specifically saying what is and isn't important features to include in Xbox 2. Obviously the majority of gamers disagree about BC not being an important feature and MS will hopefully do whatever is necessary to make it happen in Xbox 2. Better they get this reaction sooner than later.

It just frightens me that they could be so off the mark on such an important hardware design issue. Have they been drinking Nintendo juice lately or something? Nintendo still takes the cake for Iwata's statement at E3 that hardware specs don't matter anymore since graphics are already photorealistic. :D

shpankey

not an idiot
---- said:
Obviously the majority of gamers disagree about BC not being an important feature and MS will hopefully do whatever is necessary to make it happen in Xbox 2. Better they get this reaction sooner than later.

Come now... what are you basing this statement on? GAF reaction? Hardly representative of "most gamers". Even only 10% of Playstation owners thought BC was important on PS2. Now all a sudden "most gamers" (ie: > 50%) think it's important for Xbox Next now? Do tell... where do you get this research from?

"Come now... what are you basing this statement on? GAF reaction? Hardly representative of "most gamers". Even only 10% of Playstation owners thought BC was important on PS2. Now all a sudden "most gamers" (ie: > 50%) think it's important for Xbox Next now? Do tell... where do you get this research from?"

To be fair, the only place we've heard this 10% statistic is from a damage-controlling, PR-spinning, hype-mongering Microsoft lapdog. That should be taken with a grain of salt too.:)

I think BC would be very useful for MS if they plan to release their next console so early, especially if it improved the performance of the current generation of xbox games. It'd have me sold, thats for sure.

Tekky

If MS wants to be REALLY successful with the Xbox 2, they will make it backwards compatible with the PS2 :)

----

Banned
shpankey said:
Come now... what are you basing this statement on? GAF reaction? Hardly representative of "most gamers". Even only 10% of Playstation owners thought BC was important on PS2. Now all a sudden "most gamers" (ie: > 50%) think it's important for Xbox Next now? Do tell... where do you get this research from?
I don't even know what GAF's reaction was, but I do have common sense. Team Xbox has a nice poll for you to look at if it isn't already abundantly clear.

Should the Xbox 2 be backwards compatible with Xbox?
Definitely 79%
Definitely Not 3%
Doesn't Matter 18%
Do we really need a poll to figure out this is a feature that people want? Do we really need research to figure out that the media is going to make Microsoft look extremely bad for not supporting the games and accessories it has already released?

Deku Tree

---- said:
I think what was really irresponsible was the way Allard was yapping his mouth off about what is and isn't important for Xbox 2. If MS didn't want the negative articles written already about Xbox 2 then they shouldn't have had Allard doing interviews where he's specifically saying what is and isn't important features to include in Xbox 2.

shpankey said:
Even only 10% of Playstation owners thought BC was important on PS2. Now all a sudden "most gamers" (ie: > 50%) think it's important for Xbox Next now? Do tell... where do you get this research from?
I don't seem to recall ever being asked about my opinion on BC from neither MS or Sony so that 10% is hardly accurate and probably useless.

Top Bottom