• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

0xCA2

0070_nqcgj.gif

What's the source for this?

itsgreen

dude there's nothing they can say,
it's
not
announced

True to some degree, but they could come out and say "We don't have anything to share about our product roadmap, but be assured, we want our products to be available to as many people as possible. That means also people who's internet may not be as stable as one might hope."

DigitalOp

Banned
I disagree somewhat. Microsoft's plan from day 1 (original Xbox - not the 360) was to go after the living room with games acting as a trojan horse.

This pains me so so much because the OG Xbox was fucking wonderful. I had some of my best times playing games on that console. And to really see that name being tarnished is a damn shame.

I will always love the OG Xbox forever.

Still currently debating whether 360 has enough exclusives for me to pick up cheap in the after market.

But the Nextbox seems to carry the legacy of MS' greedy actions that started this gen, and that alone I cannot support. I really can't.

Im really gonna kirk on my dad if he buys the Nextbox. lol He owns the 360 in the house and loves it begrudgingly but I think he might switch over to PS4 depending on what's confirmed or not.

foxdvd

IF Microsoft is pushing the always online even with all the reasons it is a mistake...they plan on supporting the 360 for a while. It will not be a complete shutdown like the last xbox, but for the next few years they will continue to support the 360. It is a cash cow, why would they drop it? Over the next few years they hope that a lot of people with little to no internet will continue to improve, so that as they decide to upgrade to the next gen, the 720 is a real option. Best of both worlds.

The only problem, early adopters will be faced with a Sony system that seems to have learned from all its past mistakes...will probably be as powerful or more so..will not be as anti consumer as the 720...and might even be priced right this time.

The 360 launched before the PS3....it was priced lower....many early games played better because it was easier to program for....in truth the 360 should have DESTROYED the ps3, but the RROD leveled the playing field so that both systems are now even world wide...

This next generation, the PS4 will launch before or at the same time. The RROD sill hangs over the 360. PS4 looks to be more consumer friendly. Price will probably be close. Exclusives continue to pile up for the Sony system. Microsoft's twin system idea is going to backfire on them. They don't understand or underestimate how weak brand loyalty is anymore.

Mrbob

MS would have been better served saying nothing than the generic, corporate gibberish PR filtered through the Major Nelson blog. People see through it easily.

eot

Banned
This is Microsoft's fault. You can announce something or acknowledge something without unveiling it. They could have stopped every single bit of this bullshit, but their insistence on pretending like the Durango doesn't exist has bitten them on the ass big time.

Well apparently they are very confident in their PR plan. We don't know what they are going to announce so we can't say how much this has or will hurt them. What matters is how well they can get their message out when they actually start to talk and how good that message is, both of those are unkowns.

If this topic dominates the discussion for a long time, then yes that's very bad, but if it's just a temporary tantrum then it doesn't matter.

Ding-Ding

Can we ban Polygon as a source already? Even the place where you go for Nintendo news has more credibility then Gies.

Even though Polygon is a shit stain in gaming circles , I dont see how GAF's hierarchy can ban a site primarily based on one of its idiot employees twitter feed

Other reasons maybe but thats not our call anyway

gamma

Shit, keeping up with the thread has become too time consuming lol. Did anything happen in the last 15-20 pages? Last thing I read was that MS non-denial on Game Informer (?).

Durock

So many pages, so idk if this has been posted yet. An official response on the matter from Microsoft, as seen on http://majornelson.com/2013/04/05/official-statement-on-what-was-said-yesterday/

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

EmSeta

Almost 8000 posts? Damn.

Why don't MS take a hint from Dark Souls and offer players extra incentives in single player games only made possible by being online, instead of creating arbitrary requirements?

ekim

http://majornelson.com/2013/04/05/official-statement-on-what-was-said-yesterday/

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

English is not my first language so I could be wrong but the bolded can be read as : "no we won't do such things like a mandatory Internet connection for our next customer centric Xbox"

Or I'm just naive. :eek:

JeTmAn81

Someone ask Gies if he is talking about Halo 2 as the biggest game of 2004.

I don't have a twitter account.

I was pretty sure he was talking about WoW. What I don't get is why people are trying to conflate games which by their nature (massively multiplayer) demand an online connection versus games which don't (single player games).

bluehat9

instead of a big game reveal at the e3 press conference this year, the "one more thing" will be a video of a person pulling out their ethernet cable from the 720, opening one of the gamestop generic cases (because the game was turned in with nothing but a disc), putting the disc in, and then booting up and playing.

The crowd will go wild and MS wins E3!

jtb

Banned
Top Bottom