• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

blakep267

I can't understand how some of you is still awaiting a new halo... aren't you tired? I mean, we just got halo 5, like one year ago... and I'm an halo fan. Let the IP rest for 5/6 years and do something new ffs.
I think you confuse people who want multiplayer and people who want SP stories. I'm only in halo for the MP. Halo 5 MP was fantastic but unless they have a massive influx of new maps and reqs I've played enough of it for the time being. However I want more because it's probably the only shooter I find fun this gen. That's why I want halo 6. I'm looking forward to how they further innovate on the MP formula.

How would letting it rest for 5-6 years make it any more fun?a new COD is needed every year because of you play it heavy enough you wear it out. Same thing with Halo imo. I've played each games MP to death so I await the next

I can't understand how some of you is still awaiting a new halo... aren't you tired? I mean, we just got halo 5, like one year ago... and I'm an halo fan. Let the IP rest for 5/6 years and do something new ffs.
I would much prefer something new but I realize what MS wants that studio to be. They want them to produce Halo. So, Halo 6 has a very high chance of being announced at E3 this year.

rrc1594

I don't necessarily need more Halo Mainline, but I do want more Halo. Like maybe an Halo RPG or game based on Human-Forerunner war. Some many things you can do with Halo that IMO MS doesn't do. You can even do survival horror as human planet that the flood had a outbreak on.

Again, it's a no brainer. Lack of Japanese games is a big problem on Xbox. Partnering with Sakaguhi again would help make up for this a bit.

Microsoft needs to reclaim its spot as having the best WRPGs available for a console before trying to get the Japanese games going again.

Casey Hudson. Casey bloody Hudson.

When he made the move to Xbox I was super excited about what he might do, now it looks like he is leading development on Hololens. That just screams a waste of time, for me anyway.

Give him a blank cheque and get him to build a team and a new IP. Do it Phil!

EmiPrime

I still think it was very cheeky to have such a large segment dedicated to HoloLens in their E3 conference a couple of years ago. I hope they don't try that stunt again.

Halo 5 was a great game, especially on the multiplayer side. The campaign was ok, maybe the story was shit but again halo never shined for the story. Now it's the exact time to move on and do something new. It would be so stupid to keep making halo, and sales will tell....

I would be amazed if they moved on, Halo 6 is certain and it wouldn't surprise if a new trilogy started three years following that.

Sydle

I still think it was very cheeky to have such a large segment dedicated to HoloLens in their E3 conference a couple of years ago. I hope they don't try that stunt again.

I think Nadella recently said part of the reason they bought Minecraft was for HoloLens, and recent rumors are suggesting HoloLens v3 is coming in 2019 or 2020. Expect to see it again, but maybe a couple of years from now.

Wedzi

Banned

Expect not just HoloLens but probably some VR stuff. There might be a good bit of hardware talk at MS's E3 this year

Except this has NOTHING to do with Microsoft Studios at all. Microsoft wasn't funding, publishing or doing anything to this game.

Sites are calling it an "exclusive" just based on the fact it was on MS E3 stage as coming first to Xbox One due to Xbox Game Preview program.

What a horrible title from IGN

Yup, the article itself is horrible as well, especially the bit at the bottom. And then you look at the comments and realize people don't know the difference because the majority of the gaming audience is ignorant and uninformed.

blakep267

Yup, the article itself is horrible as well, especially the bit at the bottom. And then you look at the comments and realize people don't know the difference because the majority of the gaming audience is ignorant and uninformed.
I mean you'd think IGN has editors to actually go over these articles before they get posted.

EmiPrime

I think Nadella recently said part of the reason they bought Minecraft was for HoloLens, and recent rumors are suggesting HoloLens v3 is coming in 2019 or 2020. Expect to see it again, but maybe a couple of years from now.

Expect not just HoloLens but probably some VR stuff. There might be a good bit of hardware talk at MS's E3 this year

I'm all for VR stuff especially if it's tech intended for ordinary consumers. Featuring HoloLens at E3 2015 for over 5 minutes when nobody could buy it and even now costs over £2000 was more than a bit misleading.

I know it probably won't happen but I'd like nothing more than for Sony and Microsoft to cooperate on VR. I can't afford/justify more than one headset.

Wedzi

Banned
Except this has NOTHING to do with Microsoft Studios at all. Microsoft wasn't funding, publishing or doing anything to this game.

Sites are calling it an "exclusive" just based on the fact it was on MS E3 stage as coming first to Xbox One due to Xbox Game Preview program.

Just wait until March NPD when Xbox One places third if you want to see some quality the sky is falling articles.

On topic, does any one know what Saber Interactive or Certain Affinity are possibly working on since there's not going to be a Halo 3 Anniversary? Didn't Saber work on that weird Halo Online game?

that and im not sure we will see a title from Dean hall for some time ? dayz standalone is like " relased vaperware"

and anything hes worked on since is most likely to be the same just due to sheer ambation

Theorry

Just wait until March NPD when Xbox One places third if you want to see some quality the sky is falling articles.

On topic, does any one know what Saber Interactive or Certain Affinity are possibly working on since there's not going to be a Halo 3 Anniversary? Didn't Saber work on that weird Halo Online game?

Saber works on Quake Champions i believe.

I'm all for criticising Microsoft for their rather shocking record of public cancellations in recent years but at least do the research to find out what they were actually involved in beyond them putting it on their e3 stage

blakep267

i don't know if it has been discussed but Armature is hiring for an AAA game, Recore 2 or a completely new project?
I'd guess Recore 2. There's still a ton of room for improvement with it and it fills a certain gap that they don't have now. A puzzle action Platformer. Plus it has a story that lends itself to a sequel. I say fix up Recore 1 of all its issues and either put it in the games pass or a games with gold

And next time make it a $20-$30 digital only game and skip the retail. I ended up really liking t despite its flaws

AAMARMO, won't you come back and explain the thought process behind your post?

l1MG70t.png

blakep267

Certain affinity worked on Doom and MWR in 2016. But I don't think they've done a full fledged game in a long time. And saber is doing Quake Champions

Interesting quote from latest Spencer interview:

"I think that Scorpio has to prove itself as a powerful console through a large array of content,' Spencer said. 'For people who think that there's some massive AAA game sitting in my back pocket that I haven't announced yet that I will at E3 and ship it this Fall- it could happen,"

I think this pretty much confirms there are studios working on games we don't know about. I just hope Ms conference doesn't leak early.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/26034-p...-demonstrable-difference-games-currently.html

UraMallas

Whoa. I was reading to the end of that Spencer quote thinking he would say the exact opposite. "Not gonna happen." I had to reread it to make sure I read it right.

Zeta Oni

In my dreams Turn10 would be set loose on a Project Gotham Racing 5 and prior to its official reveal, use the codename Forza so everyone just expects the usual.

"I think that Scorpio has to prove itself as a powerful console through a large array of content,' Spencer said. 'For people who think that there's some massive AAA game sitting in my back pocket that I haven't announced yet that I will at E3 and ship it this Fall- it could happen,"

I think this pretty much confirms there are studios working on games we don't know about. I just hope Ms conference doesn't leak early.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/26034-p...-demonstrable-difference-games-currently.html
Interesting.

"Massive" being the key word here.

m23

How haven't I heard about this earlier? I don't think Forza 7 is the title he's talking about here...assuming there is a title.

I hate that question because interviewers never ask the most important follow up to that.

"is it Forza?"

I'd be legit shocked if it wasn't.

No way do they have State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3 and Forza 7 this holiday plus another AAA game, that would almost be too much and knowing MS it'll be a service title so are they really going to launch 3 of those in a short space of time?

gaming_noob

No way do they have State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3 and Forza 7 this holiday plus another AAA game, that would almost be too much and knowing MS it'll be a service title so are they really going to launch 3 of those in a short space of time?

Mainline Forza (without bundling), Crackdown series and State of Decay aren't really big sellers. They need a mind blowing AAA game but I can't think of any 3rd party franchises in that category that hasn't already been snatched up by Sony.

Not to mention Scalebound wasn't cancelled till late last year so at that point in time, MS originally planned to have at least 4 AAA titles in the holiday season already.

An unannounced, unexpected 5th title would be a bit too much.

wapplew

Could be "AAA" in vein of Recore, AAA for $40 because it's new IP. Or maybe Ori 2 become AAA budget title.

m23

Not to mention Scalebound wasn't cancelled till late last year so at that point in time, MS originally planned to have at least 4 AAA titles in the holiday season already.

An unannounced, unexpected 5th title would be a bit too much.

I think Scalebound would have been aiming for a Spring release not holiday.

Strootman

That's new thread worthy.

"For people who think that there's some massive AAA game sitting in my back pocket that I haven't announced yet that I will at E3 and ship it this Fall- it could happen..... but it probably won't"

That sounds like a more reasonable and believable quote.

This is from the IGN Unlocked podcast right? I didnt think after watching it that Phil has a AAA unannounced title up his sleeve.

Mainline Forza (without bundling), Crackdown series and State of Decay aren't really big sellers. They need a mind blowing AAA game but I can't think of any 3rd party franchises in that category that hasn't already been snatched up by Sony.

Platform holders know launch titles get good attach rates, original State of Decay did over 2m, maybe nearly 3 now? On just XBLA and Steam, dunno how the Xbox One release did, seems pretty big to me.

Whether the whole all games play on both thing dilutes that a bit its hard to tell right now, I dont think Sony's approach to that with the Pro gives us much indication of that either but I think those 3 between them will be fine and maybe Ori 2 hits this holiday or something

blakep267

Well it likely wouldn't be in the same genre. Forza is racing, Crackdown is open world and SoD is more co-op based. There's room for a fighter, a platformer, etc

But also they use the term AAA loosely. So I could see them also releasing a higher budget Ori sequel also in the fall that could be seen as AAA

Top Bottom